• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Ownership / Marriott Rewards Status conversions after 8/18/2018

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You only needs to visit a Marriott's t/s resort for only 107 weeks + 1 extra day to reach the goal of 750 nights to be Lifetime Platinum Premier.:doh:
That only four (4) timeshare vacation weeks for 27 years.o_Oo_O
Now earning 2 millions points is out my league.:bawl:

I am only looking at timeshare vacations weeks as an example
and not hotel days.

Hotel nightly stays can reduce that figure maybe by 1/3 only if you stay in a hotel for an average of 10 nights per year.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
In addition to 750 Marriott nights, you also need to have earned 2 million points.

I'm at 2.5MM+ lifetime points, but it would take another couple years to get up to the 750. I guess I'll be content with being Platinum Premier Elite (not LT) by means of my Presidental status.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's actually quite easy to reach 2 million points as long as you use the Marriott Rewards Credit Card.... simply run "every" purchase via the MR Credit Card.

i.e. all grocery purchases, annual maintenance fees, buying a new car, paying your real estate taxes, paying your income taxes, going to Home Depot to remodel your kitchen or bathroom, etc.

Now, I am not saying it's the best way to obtain points (there may be a small premium to charge your taxes or new car) but reaching the 2 million points is not that difficult if you dedicate every possible transaction via the credit card.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It's actually quite easy to reach 2 million points as long as you use the Marriott Rewards Credit Card.... simply run "every" purchase via the MR Credit Card.

i.e. all grocery purchases, annual maintenance fees, buying a new car, paying your real estate taxes, paying your income taxes, going to Home Depot to remodel your kitchen or bathroom, etc.

Now, I am not saying it's the best way to obtain points (there may be a small premium to charge your taxes or new car) but reaching the 2 million points is not that difficult if you dedicate every possible transaction via the credit card.

Probably not between now and the end of the year though. Unless you have a million bucks just sitting around, or that big of a credit limit. The two million point for LTPP goes away at the end of the year.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not between now and the end of the year though. Unless you have a million bucks just sitting around, or that big of a credit limit. The two million point for LTPP goes away at the end of the year.

1 million / 6, = 166,667 MF charges! Not much different, same result.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to 750 Marriott nights, you also need to have earned 2 million points.
I was thinking the required total had dropped from 2 million to 1.6 million points.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the required total had dropped from 2 million to 1.6 million points.
For Lifetime Platinum Premier, one needs to make the old Marriott Lifetime Platinum criteria which are 2 Million points and 750 nights by Dec 31st, 2018.

For Lifetime Platinum, one needs to make the old Marriott Lifetime Gold criteria of 1.6 Million points and 500 nights by Dec 31st, 2018.

I can attest to SPG nights not being added to the Marriott total for the purpose of grandfather status when you merge the 2 accounts.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For Lifetime Platinum Premier, one needs to make the old Marriott Lifetime Platinum criteria which are 2 Million points and 750 nights by Dec 31st, 2018.

For Lifetime Platinum, one needs to make the old Marriott Lifetime Gold criteria of 1.6 Million points and 500 nights by Dec 31st, 2018.

I can attest to SPG nights not being added to the Marriott total for the purpose of grandfather status when you merge the 2 accounts.
Thanks, I know they lowered the requirements at one point and was thinking they lowered it to 1.6 Million for Platinum. The SPG issue isn't an issue for us since we had no nights there at all.

mvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2019 what is needed to qualify for Lifetime Platinum Premier?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2019 what is needed to qualify for Lifetime Platinum Premier?
There won't be new Lifetime Platinum Premier granted beyond Dec 31st 2018 cutoff to qualify. It is a one time deal where you either make it this year or never get it in the future.

mvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will there be a lifetime benefit other than Lifetime Silver,Gold and Platinum Elite offered in 2019?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem however now is that LT status isn't as good as it was in the past. It seems at least from what has been published, certain benefits are only available if you meet the minimum number of nights in a year. Like Suite Night Awards. Even if you have LTPP or LTP, you don't get those unless you get to the 75 or 50 nights.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Will there be a lifetime benefit other than Lifetime Platnium Elite offered in 2019?
The other lifetime statuses can be qualified with the following criteria, effective August 18, 2018:
LIFETIME LEVEL
HOW TO GET IT

Lifetime Silver Elite
250 Lifetime Nights + 5 Years Elite Status

Lifetime Gold Elite
400 Lifetime Nights + 7 Years Gold Elite Status or Higher

Lifetime Platinum Elite
600 Lifetime Nights + 10 Years Platinum Elite Status or Higher

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem however now is that LT status isn't as good as it was in the past. It seems at least from what has been published, certain benefits are only available if you meet the minimum number of nights in a year. Like Suite Night Awards. Even if you have LTPP or LTP, you don't get those unless you get to the 75 or 50 nights.
While we have never gotten suite nights certificates in the past, we received room upgrades at every Marriott and Starwood hotel since becoming Platinum end of last year, including a 900 sq ft full suite at the Westin Excelsior in Rome, upgraded (larger and nicer) room at Gritti Palace in Venice, larger room at Marriott FCO Rome airport hotel.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge

The nights didn't add to the account or Marriott told you they wouldn't count? My wife had 25 SPG nights added to her Marriott Lifetime totals after the two accounts were merged..

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The nights didn't add to the account or Marriott told you they wouldn't count? My wife had 25 SPG nights added to her Marriott Lifetime totals after the two accounts were merged..
They get added to lifetime total which matters in the new criteria to achieve lifetime status. The SPG nights do not count towards the Marriott grandfather criteria used.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They get added to lifetime total which matters in the new criteria to achieve lifetime status. The SPG nights do not count towards the Marriott grandfather criteria used.

This is from https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ Am I reading something into it or perhaps it been superseded?

NOTE: Members who reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018, will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available. See FAQs for details.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is from https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ Am I reading something into it or perhaps it been superseded?

NOTE: Members who reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018, will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available. See FAQs for details.
The combined lifetime activity matters towards the 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum (PP) and for the future. The SPG nights do not count towards the Marriott 750 nights (and 2M points) grandfather status.

Last edited:

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The combined lifetime activity matters towards the 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum and for the future. The SPG nights do not count towards the Marriott 750 nights (and 2M points) grandfather status.

We have four months then to make up for the loss of 25 nights. Looks like it's time for at least three Interval Getaways or Exchanges into Palm Desert or Vegas to qualify under the Legacy rules.

Thanks.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have four months then to make up for the loss of 25 nights. Looks like it's time for at least three Interval Getaways or Exchanges into Palm Desert or Vegas to qualify under the Legacy rules.

Thanks.
Are you at 725 Marriott nights and 2M+ points? If so, you are in good shape. 25 nights by year end is easy to achieve.

I am at 481 Marriott nights and 2M points, 105 SPG nights, combined 586 nights but only 8 years platinum. I am working towards getting the grandfather Lifetime Platinum status - 14 nights at Newport Coast, 5 nights in Hong Kong and 5 nights in Singapore before year end to get me to 505 Marriott nights.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you at 725 Marriott nights and 2M+ points? If so, you are in good shape. 25 nights by year end is easy to achieve.

I am at 481 Marriott nights and 2M points, 105 SPG nights, combined 586 nights but only 8 years platinum. I am working towards getting the grandfather Lifetime Platinum status - 14 nights at Newport Coast, 5 nights in Hong Kong and 5 nights in Singapore before year end to get me to 505 Marriott nights.

The 2 million miles are there. She is now short 51 nights with the loss of the 25 SPG nights but we are in Marriott's 28 nights between now and the end of September. A couple of Getaway or Exchange weeks by years end and some October and November weeks we have reserved and she will make it easily.

Asia2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference between Lifetime Platinum and Platinum Premier is the extra 2.5 points per dollar spent at the property along with the 48-hour reservation guarantee, which has a lot of exclusions - does not work at vacation clubs. Reading some of the posts, sounds like if you're close, go for it. Otherwise, you have to ask, is the extra 2.5 and the 48 hr guarantee worth it? I guess there is the intangible factor of being one notch above regular Platinum Elite which may give you the "upgrade edge" when checking-in or just the idea of knowing you have "the high status". Perhaps a race to get LTPP on your license plate - just joking.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference between Lifetime Platinum and Platinum Premier is the extra 2.5 points per dollar spent at the property along with the 48-hour reservation guarantee, which has a lot of exclusions - does not work at vacation clubs. Reading some of the posts, sounds like if you're close, go for it. Otherwise, you have to ask, is the extra 2.5 and the 48 hr guarantee worth it? I guess there is the intangible factor of being one notch above regular Platinum Elite which may give you the "upgrade edge" when checking-in or just the idea of knowing you have "the high status". Perhaps a race to get LTPP on your license plate - just joking.
But if one is at MVC Select, Executive, Presidential or Chairman's Club level, and the level of ownership is maintained then whatever one's lifetime status gets achieved is immaterial. The downside of not having lifetime status is that MVC can change that Marriott status matching arrangement in the future and if that happens we have to fallback on our lifetime status. I also don't foresee owning MVC portfolio forever. I give ourselves at most 10 years before we get out of all timeshare ownership, then when we travel it will be booking with the hotels directly.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I realized after merging my Marriott and SPG account that I have 490 night and 10 years as platinum. So it seems that I am only 110 nights away from LTP. I can get there in a few years now that Vistana timeshare stays will count toward elite nights. Not sure why it matters all that much since we rarely stay at a hotel property. It comes in handy the night before early morning flights as I can grab a few sodas or water from the lounge at the airport hotel.