• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite Night Credit on Vistana Stays

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This sounds like a great benefit. Hope it applies to resale. I don't believe resale owners can transfer SO's to SPG points, but do resale owners get SPG/Marriott Gold? (FWIW get it already from our SPG card with 30k spend but curious minds would like to know!)

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
This sounds good to me, I am just afraid about the diluted benefits...When everybody wins nobody wins...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Just saw this thread...

This is great for us if true.
We use 42 nites in even years, and 55 nites in odd years.

Does this mean I can get to Platinum if I stay an additional 8 nites in even years?
Platinum status w/o having to get to 5*?
Really? I hope...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just saw this thread...

This is great for us if true.
We use 42 nites in even years, and 55 nites in odd years.

Does this mean I can get to Platinum if I stay an additional 8 nites in even years?
Platinum status w/o having to get to 5*?
Really? I hope...
You will. In fact, if you pick up the Amex or Chase credit cards, you will get an additional 15 nights and could be closer to Platinum Premier. Just make sure when you check in that you give them your rewards number to attach to the reservation so you get proper credit.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This sounds good to me, I am just afraid about the diluted benefits...When everybody wins nobody wins...

This has always been a concern, but it doesn’t seem to have affected Marriott and they have had this policy for years.

On a related note, I checked my Marriott and Starwood lifetime night count and now that they will be combining them I will have lifetime gold...without even trying. Of course, this has zero practical implications for me since I am either Gold or Platinum based on the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So someone could pickup enough resale Mandatory VOIs for 50 nites and achieve Plat status.
That beats out getting there via the 5* route...
Or what am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that could/should work but my concern is that that Plat status has been devalued in the new program. Even beyond the new Platinum Premier (which feels much more like the old SPG Plat) Marriott has always been stingy with elite benefits, and has essentially had their hand forced to retain the SPG loyalists. While the have made certain concessions (under pressure in many cases), I still believe their gravitational pull to over promise and under deliver will surface sooner than later. So yes, technically you could earn cheap plat between 15 CC nights and a batch of "cheap" TS stays, I'm not sure it's worth that level of commitment.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So someone could pickup enough resale Mandatory VOIs for 50 nites and achieve Plat status.
Or what am I missing?

You wouldn't even need mandatory VOIs. I suspect voluntary will work just the same.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received credit for stays at Marriott timeshares regardless of how I reserved the stay (i.e. I got credit when I traded in through Interval with a non-Marriott, using AC's, or using getaways).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I received credit for stays at Marriott timeshares regardless of how I reserved the stay (i.e. I got credit when I traded in through Interval with a non-Marriott, using AC's, or using getaways).

As posted earlier, this is how Marriott has been for years.

I agree with others that we should all expect the Marriott elite program to become more devalued over time with less benefits, etc. None should be surprised when this happens.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems at this pace everyone and their mothers will all be Platinum every year.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Or what am I missing?

I'm still somewhat confused by this. Are resale VOIs members in the Vistana Signature Network?

The email's first line states "As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN)" . . . It's unclear whether all the new benefits are for all owners or only those within VSN.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm still somewhat confused by this. Are resale VOIs members in the Vistana Signature Network?

The email's first line states "As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN)" . . . It's unclear whether all the new benefits are for all owners or only those within VSN.
I agree. I don't think any of the bullet points are only applicable to VSN members. Except perhaps about converting to reward points and then that would only apply to direct purchases. This being the first paragraph;

As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN), Owners receive Elite status in the Starwood Preferred Guest® program and access to an award-winning global portfolio of hotels and resorts, unique experiences and rich redemption possibilities.

It seems that the only part that applies to VSN members is Elite Status in SPG. Though, I also think that only 3*+ get any type of status? That status also doesn't transfer to resale owners, even if they own at mandatory properties.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I agree. I don't think any of the bullet points are only applicable to VSN members. Except perhaps about converting to reward points and then that would only apply to direct purchases. This being the first paragraph;

As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN), Owners receive Elite status in the Starwood Preferred Guest® program and access to an award-winning global portfolio of hotels and resorts, unique experiences and rich redemption possibilities.

It seems that the only part that applies to VSN members is Elite Status in SPG. Though, I also think that only 3*+ get any type of status? That status also doesn't transfer to resale owners, even if they own at mandatory properties.

With that said, what benefits is Vistana going to say one receives for buying enough from the developer to achieve 5-Star Elite? It just seems they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don’t see how this is very different than what Marriott has offered for years. For years we have posted here that we wanted timeshare nights to count toward status and now we have it...and we are complaining? Not I!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don’t see how this is very different than what Marriott has offered for years. For years we have posted here that we wanted timeshare nights to count toward status and now we have it...and we are complaining? Not I!

Not sure if that is directed at me, but I'm not complaining. You can check earlier posts about this subject in the Marriott forum and in another thread in this forum to see that I'm happy.

Also, the top two elite levels in MVC qualify for Marriott Platinum Premier. Perhaps they could offer that to 5-Star Elite....

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure if that is directed at me, but I'm not complaining. You can check earlier posts about this subject in the Marriott forum and in another thread in this forum to see that I'm happy.

Also, the top two elite levels in MVC qualify for Marriott Platinum Premier. Perhaps they could offer that to 5-Star Elite....
It does seem that the Vistana ownership levels are not inline with Marriott's DC ownership tiers. I am a Select owner with Marriott and that now gives me Platinum Elite membership in MR. That level of ownership with Marriott is nowhere close to a 5* level with Vistana that it takes to get Platinum SPG. If buying retail, one would only have to pay about $40,000 with Marriott to get Select DC status. I suspect it is much more expensive in Vistana if buying pure developer (no requalifying)? In reality, for MVC to line up better with Vistana, they should make 3 and 4* VSN members Platinum and 5* Platinum Premier. Maybe when MVC takes over ILG, they will do that? They could also knock MVC DC owners down, but I won't dare suggest that.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten night credits from II exchanges. You just need to stay at an MVC property and link the reservation to your MR number.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I hope it’s retroactive. I just left Westin Maui 2 weeks ago.
I doubt it, you would have had to have had your new rewards number attached (likely your SPG number) and it would have had to have been after the 18th.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at a resort this week and will check my account next week to see if my stay was counted correctly.

Ken555, just wondering if the nights did indeed post? Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I had a night stay at Sheraton Vistana Villages on Saturday night, problem is that I also had a one night stay at Marriott's Beach Place Towers on Sunday night. I can see where a night posted to my account. The problem is that Marriott account does not provide any way to track where your elite nights post from. I don't see any points posting from either property. Though I had no spending other than the parking fee at BPT and the HK fee at SVV. If I see another night post in the next couple of days, I will know that it worked!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken555, just wondering if the nights did indeed post? Thanks!

Not yet. I combined my accounts and I expect I need to call. Not only do I not have the recent stay credits or points, they REDUCED my lifetime number of nights (it's only supposed to increase...). This merger is causing all sorts of headaches and frankly, I'm quite disappointed so far.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Checked out of WKORV on Aug 19th, and my YTD and LT totals on the Marriott web site appear to have jumped up by those 8 nights as of a few hours ago...

Can't say with 100% certainty, as the activity listing doesn't actually contain any recent stay details, just the nights and dollars spent totals keep updating.

I think my YTD count is now right (if I add in the 8 nights at WKORV), but my LT count is still wrong (they're saying I have 18 nights more than I think I should)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Is it possible to combine your SPG/Marriott accounts with your spouse similar to HGVC system? If not, how does Vistana determine who gets the night credit if there are two owners on the deed?