• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Lane

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Went for a walk a few minutes ago and watched some more crack hurricane preparation with a long line of sprinklers going full blast. Oh well.
The last thing I would want the staff worrying when preparing the property for a possible natural disaster is if the automatic sprinklers have been turned off. Many, many more important things to do, IMO.

Kurt

Kapolei

Reaction score
Almost everything around town is closed today. It isn’t because of the conditions. It think it is mainly because employers want their employees home safe.

Last edited:

katsgarden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any news of flooding on Kauai? We leave for Kauai next Friday (31st), staying at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club. The following week at Marriott Kauai Beach Club.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Any news of flooding on Kauai? We leave for Kauai next Friday (31st), staying at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club. The following week at Marriott Kauai Beach Club.

You should be just fine. Check for updates to see if things change.

Last edited:

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had some hope of getting home today. Hawaiian Airlines added an extra flight and it had a bunch of empty seats. Unfortunately, after waiting on hold for a long time, while the rep was moving us to the new flight it was cancelled due to the weather. Oh well, now to go unpack.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last thing I would want the staff worrying when preparing the property for a possible natural disaster is if the automatic sprinklers have been turned off. Many, many more important things to do, IMO.

Kurt
Perhaps, although when the natural disaster involves rain and flooding, adding more water seems like it might rise to a higher priority. But, I just mentioned it because it struck me as a funny juxtaposition with all of the other preparations.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Just had some hope of getting home today. Hawaiian Airlines added an extra flight and it had a bunch of empty seats. Unfortunately, after waiting on hold for a long time, while the rep was moving us to the new flight it was cancelled due to the weather. Oh well, now to go unpack.

I am sure one flight could get out in the present conditions. The problem is getting out the normal amount which could be in the hundreds.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hurricane Lane weakens to Category 1, but its pace slows south of Honolulu
Updated August 24, 2018 3:04pm
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/...ategory-2-hurricane-still-headed-toward-oahu/

Weather Blog from KHON2: Lane has now weakened to a Category 1
Updated: Aug 24, 2018 02:28 PM HST
https://www.khon2.com/weather/weather-blog/another-tropical-system-forms-forecast-to-approach-hawaii/1373353323

County-by-county list of weather impacts from Hurricane Lane
Updated August 24, 2018 2:57pm
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/...-list-of-weather-impacts-from-hurricane-lane/

Department of Transportation updates
https://mobile.twitter.com/DOTHawaii
http://hidot.hawaii.gov/hurricane-lane/

Last edited:

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to continue hunkering down at our rather expensive hurricane shelter (Koloa Landing) prior to attempting to fly out of Lihue tomorrow late-morning! Good luck to everybody else still in the islands!

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
We made it from Oahu to Maui on Friday mid-afternoon. West Maui is a bit of a mess between the wildfires and power outages; plus businesses that may have opted to close due to the hurricane warning. The Target in Kahului was closed; the Walmart there didn't have any water.

But we're settled into Nanea and hoping situation will improve on Saturday (even if it rains much of the day).

Kapolei

Reaction score
We made it from Oahu to Maui on Friday mid-afternoon. West Maui is a bit of a mess between the wildfires and power outages; plus businesses that may have opted to close due to the hurricane warning. The Target in Kahului was closed; the Walmart there didn't have any water.

But we're settled into Nanea and hoping situation will improve on Saturday (even if it rains much of the day).

Molokai, Maui, and Big Island still getting drenched.

Completely dry here in west Oahu. The wind shear has pushed all the moisture back. Storm never got close enough to us before it disintegrated. I have seen this occur before. But the hurricane was not this close when it happened. This is great news for Oahu. The islands east of here may still have problems over night.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
We just returned from the Big Island. The Waikoloa area was spared but, Hilo was flooded and drenched. The eastern side took the brunt of it; much like Kapolei's experience on Oahu. A lot of MGVC/Marriott employees had their homes flooded or were stuck between mudslides returning to Honokaa and Hilo. Highway 270 was closed at Kohala and Waimea was drenched. Kona was very wet with lots of surfers on Thursday and Friday. No flights from the Mainland to Kona and back on Alaska were cancelled. We flew out on time and arrived on time. My friend in Maui was hunkered down. Upcountry had power outages and the fire in Lahaina closed Honoapiilani Highway at Maalaea to Lahaina. Two of the fires were contained and one mostly contained by Friday night.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Hopefully shelves will be restocked soon. Shipments were delayed due to Lane but have resumed.

“About 80 percent of all goods consumed in Hawaii are imported, and 98 percent of that comes by ship, according to state estimates.”

Hurricane prompts harbor closure warnings
August 22, 2018
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/08/22/hawaii-news/hurricane-prompts-harbor-closure-warnings/

Matson Resumes Cargo Operations To Hawaii Island
August 25, 2018
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...go-operations-to-hawaii-island-300702395.html

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We just returned from the Big Island. The Waikoloa area was spared but, Hilo was flooded and drenched. The eastern side took the brunt of it; much like Kapolei's experience on Oahu. A lot of MGVC/Marriott employees had their homes flooded or were stuck between mudslides returning to Honokaa and Hilo. Highway 270 was closed at Kohala and Waimea was drenched. Kona was very wet with lots of surfers on Thursday and Friday. No flights from the Mainland to Kona and back on Alaska were cancelled. We flew out on time and arrived on time. My friend in Maui was hunkered down. Upcountry had power outages and the fie in Lahaina closed Honoapiilani Highway at Maalaea to Lahaina. Two of the fires were contained and one mostly contained by Friday night.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

There are drone videos of Hilo.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Prayers go out to those still suffering the effects of this storm. The Big Island always seems to get the worst of these events. Perhaps it is because they are a bigger target.

For those that use Facebook, one of the lava boat guys, Ikaika Marzo, seems to have gotten a big following. He posts a lot videos right near the ocean entry of the lava. I don’t know him. But you can easily follow his posts without being a FB friend.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
August 25, 2018

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...go-operations-to-hawaii-island-300702395.html

Thanks for posting these links! Weirdly, I can't get the prnewswire one to work right now.

Just in case it's their site and not something odd about the two browsers I tried, I'm including
below both the link to The Internet Archive copy of this article and the article itself:

https://web.archive.org/web/2018082...go-operations-to-hawaii-island-300702395.html

HONOLULU, Aug. 25, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Matson Navigation Company, a leading U.S. carrier in the Pacific, is mobilizing to resume cargo operations to the Big Island of Hawaii following the State of Hawaii declaring the ports of Hilo and Kawaihae open for commercial operations.

Having been positioned in a safe area east of the Big Island, Matson's barge Columbia is now expected to be dockside at Hilo, Saturday, August 25, at 7:00 a.m. and container operations will commence immediately. Inbound cargo is expected to become available to customers by mid-morning.

Matson has continued to sail its vessel schedule as normal throughout preparations for Hurricane Lane in an effort to position cargo for distribution in Hawaii as soon as possible following the reopening of Hawaii ports. Its barge Haleakala is holding a position close to Maui in anticipation of Kahului Harbor reopening soon.

The company's vessel Mahimahi arrived at Honolulu on time August 22 and 537 containers were discharged prior to the closure of Honolulu Harbor. The vessel was then moved to a safe position off shore and will return to complete discharge of an additional 615 containers when the port reopens.

Including cargo that arrived on Mahimahi and has not yet been picked up by customers, there was a total of 665 containers of goods ready for pick up at Matson's Honolulu terminal when the port was closed August 23.

Matson vessels Manoa, Manulani, Matsonia and Mokihana, carrying a combined 3,500 containers of goods, are scheduled to call Honolulu today, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Matson Navigation Company
02:33 ET

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Just got my last Worldmark wait list day to give me a full week in Kapaa next February (following our Diamond week at Kaanapali). Glad everyone seems to have come through OK except for all the excess water on the Big Island.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Just got my last Worldmark wait list day to give me a full week in Kapaa next February (following our Diamond week at Kaanapali). Glad everyone seems to have come through OK except for all the excess water on the Big Island.

Enjoy your visit. Kapaa is one of the more relaxing places to stay.

And don’t forget to watch the Little League World Series tomorrow.

Hawaii for the Championship!

elizk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, katsgarden - we leave for Kauai early tomorrow morning, heading for Waiohai. I’ll let you know what we find!
While the weather report says it’s going to be rainy for a few days, it seems like Kauai was spared the worst of the storm. The airports are open and we’re hoping that everyone on island has come through without too much trouble.

Perhaps I’ll catch up with you at the bar. :thumbup:

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are almost back to normal at Ko Olina. Still cloudy and little windy. But, no rain. The pool and beach are open and the resort is gradually putting everything back together. We feel very lucky and hope things improve for all who were impacted.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From weather.com

These Big Island rainfall totals are challenging U.S. tropical cyclone rainfall records, as The Weather Channel meteorologist and weather producer Greg Diamond noted in a tweet Saturday morning. Lane currently ranks fourth on the list of rainiest U.S. tropical cyclones on record, topped only by Amelia in 1978 (48 inches), Hiki in 1950 (52 inches) and Harvey in 2017 (60.58 inches).

A2D9ED46-B1C3-4C67-AC07-4B71E41BD925.jpeg

Hawaii Hurricane History
Lane is the strongest hurricane to track within 300 miles of Hawaii, according to NOAA's historical database. While 1994's Hurricane John had stronger maximum sustained winds, Lane's lowest pressure was lower than John's, and John only came within 319 miles from South Point on the Big Island.

According to NOAA's best track database, there is no record of a hurricane track within 65 nautical miles of either Maui or Honolulu since statehood.

There have been three notable hurricanes that struck the western island of Kauai during that time: landfalls of Iniki in 1992 and Dot in 1959 and an eyewall brush with Iwa in 1982.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

Have you stayed at Kapa'a before? It is a small pleasant Resort. We enjoyed our time there several years ago. It is right on the ocean - non-swimming. If I remember correctly the two bedrooms are on the top floor - no elevators. It is a loft not a true 2 bedroom. We had a 1 bedroom on the 1st floor. Go out on Lanai, turn left, 15 steps to water. Only the 3rd floor rooms have cloth washer/dryers inn the Condo. There is an onsite coin operated laundry. However the front desk will give WMTC Owners coins for the washer/dryers