• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Lane

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We are here at Kahana Beach in West Maui off of Lower Honoapiilani Road, next to Sands of Kahana. The clouds are building but the water is still calm enough that a lot of people are swimming. I guess it's the calm before the storm.

I find the local news to be vague on the forecast, but I guess that is how it is with hurricanes.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to find the humor in these moments. Some crack hurricane preparations happening here at MKO. Last night all of the sprinklers along the roads were going full blast. Got to get everything watered before the big rains arrive. :). Today the crews are out sweeping the roads with those big sweeper rigs. Got to make sure the grass clippings are swept up before the winds blow tree limbs around . . . . :)

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're at Ko Olina currently in a 2BR lock-off and have 2 tubs! No mention of filling the tubs (or anything else) on the warning notices; just have a supply of bottled water. Perhaps there will be additional instructions forthcoming (though we're actually scheduled to fly to Maui on Friday :ponder:).

they dont suggest filling up the bathtub with water? (or do those rooms not have a tub)?

thats pretty much the norm for here in florida when a big storm is headed this way.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Personally, I would not want to fly on Friday. Have you asked the airline if you can push your flight back?

Kapolei

Reaction score
We're at Ko Olina currently in a 2BR lock-off and have 2 tubs! No mention of filling the tubs (or anything else) on the warning notices; just have a supply of bottled water. Perhaps there will be additional instructions forthcoming (though we're actually scheduled to fly to Maui on Friday :ponder:).

People usually fill their tubs so that there is water available for their toilet if the water supply shuts off. It is very unlikely water service will be lost in this storm. If you have drinking water you are good. If you need water for the toilet, there are plenty of water sources around the resort if you have a bucket.

Electricity loss is very possible if we get high winds If MKO has generators, you will stay cool even if the power goes out in the neighborhood.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Very happy to hear that things are good so far!

Stay safe.....

Kapolei

Reaction score
Very happy to hear that things are good so far!

Stay safe.....

Half the Island has the day off. Most of the others were sent home early. Everything is quiet and calm while we wait for the storm.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiver is available; seats are available. Track is still uncertain. Very likely to rebook but not sure exactly when to rebook for yet.

Personally, I would not want to fly on Friday. Have you asked the airline if you can push your flight back?

Kapolei

Reaction score
Ko Olina folks should also be aware that the sewage infrastructure leading out of the resort has had its problems. Most of you have seen the temporary above ground pipe from the Four Seasons area. I am not saying any of this would fail. I am not an expert at that. I would just be aware of this if there is severe flooding in the area. Don’t assume the water on the street is clean.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just crazy weather. Rainbow Falls is unrecognizable.

Stay safe, everyone!

Dave

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Kapolei

Reaction score
Sirens are going off on Oahu. Nothing unusual happening yet. Mayor decided to turn them on.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sirens are going off on Oahu.

They announced earlier that they were going to sound the alarm at 4:00 pm to get everyone off the streets.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Latest advisory has shifted path a bit south and west, so the entire "zone of uncertainty" for the track now misses the islands. Also the hurricane warnings for the Big Island have been downgraded to Tropical Storm warnings:

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 10.57.25 PM.png

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That track helps with the winds but not necessarily the rain.

Glad I went spur of the moment last month, and got back 3 weeks ago.

No Hurricane and the volcano was still flowing.

Last edited:

elizk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your vacation.
If it were me, I'd change flight to arrive Monday or wait until the Friday 5 pm tracking update (I think there's one at 5) to change, if storm is veering towards Oahu, or not on the predicted westerly turn. Hawaiian Air could still cancel your Sunday flight, and then you'd have to scramble to get on a Monday flight, if flights are resumed on Monday. There will still be plenty of rain, storm surf and potential flooding of the roads leading down to Waiohai. So would be better IMO, to wait a day longer for flooding and rain to subside
Thank you - you make a good point about the rain and possible flooding. I think we are going to wait for the Friday update and see how things stand then.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
More Updates

From weather.com - https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-08-23-hurricane-lane-forecast-hawaii

Hurricane Lane Will Make Its Closest Approach to Hawaii Tonight, Saturday; Potential Flood Disaster From Up to 40 Inches of Rain

less than an hour ago weather.com

At a Glance
  • Hurricane Lane will make its closest approach to Maui and Oahu tonight into early Saturday.
  • Hurricane warnings are posted for Maui and Oahu, including Honolulu. A hurricane watch is in effect for Kauai County.
  • Parts of the Big Island have already picked up over 2 feet of rain.
  • Additional heavy rain could trigger disastrous flooding, landslides in parts of the islands.
  • Whether Lane's strongest winds affect parts of the islands through Saturday remains uncertain.
  • Regardless, dangerous flash flooding, mudslides, battering waves and coastal flooding are likely.

A hurricane warning remains in effect for Maui County and Oahu, including Honolulu, meaning that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area.

A tropical storm warning is in effect for the Big Island of Hawaii. Regarding Lane's current position, this means tropical storm conditions are occurring.

A hurricane watch remains in effect for Kauai County. This means hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area, and a watch is typically issued 48 hours before the onset of tropical-storm-force winds that may make preparations difficult or dangerous, according to Central Pacific Hurricane Center.

From CNN - https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/24/us/hurricane-lane-hawaii-wxc/index.html

Hurricane Lane unleashes flooding and landslides as it gets closer to Hawaii
Updated 6:50 AM ET, Fri August 24, 2018

Lane is forecast to bring even more damage as its center gets closer Friday and Saturday. While it's unclear whether the islands will get a direct hit, the hurricane will bring "significant and life-threatening flash flooding and landslides," the National Weather Service said.
The center of the hurricane "will move over, or dangerously close" to parts of Hawaii islands Friday, the Central Pacific Hurricane Center said. It was about 230 miles (370 km) south of Honolulu early Friday, and could become the first major cyclone to make landfall in the state in 26 years.

....As the hurricane got closer to Hawaii, Gov. David Ige urged residents to set aside two weeks' worth of food, water and other necessities.

The hurricane's potential for heavy rainfall will continue into next week as it begins to track westward and away from the state, the governor said.
"Lane, while it has been downgraded, is wide and very moist. And it's going to hang around for a while as it moves because it is moving slowly," Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell said. "And that is why we are taking so much precaution here."

Kapolei

Reaction score
All models now showing we are going to escape a direct hit. Lane is being blasted apart by wind shear. Time for the rain.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
People usually fill their tubs so that there is water available for their toilet if the water supply shuts off. It is very unlikely water service will be lost in this storm. If you have drinking water you are good. If you need water for the toilet, there are plenty of water sources around the resort if you have a bucket.

Electricity loss is very possible if we get high winds If MKO has generators, you will stay cool even if the power goes out in the neighborhood.

Mko has large generators in each building. I believe they run the elevators, some lights and certain areas (front desk, office areas, etc.) i dont think there would be enough power in generators to power the air conditioning in each room.

Right now it is less windy than yesterday and pretty warm. No rain either. Lane downgraded to cat 2 hurricane and has slowed to 2 mph. The easterly winds are breaking hurricane lane apart. The eye of the storm has collapsed which is boding well for us. Though flooding is very real danger.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
MKO told us all to keep our AC on and that generators would power the AC too, if need be. Everything is stacked and tied down. Went for a walk a few minutes ago and watched some more crack hurricane preparation with a long line of sprinklers going full blast. Oh well. Hopefully we don’t get flooded later ...

Kapolei

Reaction score
MKO told us all to keep our AC on and that generators would power the AC too, if need be. Everything is stacked and tied down. Went for a walk a few minutes ago and watched some more crack hurricane preparation with a long line of sprinklers going full blast. Oh well. Hopefully we don’t get flooded later ...

The sprinklers may have a rain sensor and they could turn off in the rain. I don’t blame the staff too much for not over-riding the timers. They have other things to worry about. I do give MKO an A+++ for their landscaping. Second to none on Oahu.

I can see sixty miles out. There is no black wall approaching. But this thing is still a monster. If it even survives the shear with half its strength, we are in for a lot of winds and rain. The mountains above Ko Olina can produce a lot of stream flow. The resort is designed pretty well I don’t expect this flow to inundate the resort. But you never know and don’t venture out away from the resort to check out the streams.

Last edited:

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have photos of Rainbow Falls from 1978, 2009, 20011, and 2015 at different times of the year. They all look exactly the same. What a difference a hurricane makes!!!