• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official changes to Marriott Rewards program effective 8/18/18

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

jtdillian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Posted to Marriott Rewards Insider

PLEASE READ THIS I sent this to THE POINTS GUY....Can you get another interview with David Flueck? I would love for you to ask him how do they justify miles from a travel package going up 2.3 rewards or maybe the lowest at 1.8 rewards per mile. But it used be 1 for 1! The joke is that they say for an excellent value use your rewards for a travel package. Word for word it says on the website..."Take advantage of an excellent holiday value (yeah right!). Redeem your points for a week of hotel accommodations with airline miles included. Refer to the tables below for point requirements" ....what does Holiday value mean by the way? Does that mean for Europeans where they call vacations going on Holiday? https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem/travel/packages.mi Anyway, you had your own post here on the Points Guy and you called the travel packages "terrible" - did DF see that? Why would they make them "terrible"? I wonder if they even know the impact of this? I can only think they were hoping most rewards members didn't even know a travel package existed! And if they changed them probably no big deal. Well it is a big deal! A really big deal, and he needs to know this! Ask DF if he can show you why the new travel packages are called an excellent HOLIDAY value! (and don't forget that word ‘holiday’)
Thanks for listening.

[Threads merged, and duplicate posts deleted from a third thread. Please note TUG's posting rules - duplicate posts/threads are not allowed. <-- SueDonJ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You posted this 3 times so far...

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I hate being wrong. Here's an official posting by Marriott on their Insiders website.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/blogs/exclusive-news/2018/08/20/travel-packages-update

After my conversation with Marriott last night your information was correct. Unfortunately, I got another email response back today to my 2nd request from last night. Now they say they are unable to fulfill the request because of technical issues and to resubmit (for a 3rd time) in 5 to 10 business days. Their email follows.

"We can not answer very many questions at this time and we know that our guests were advised that the blackout period for travel packages is over and to send in their requests for downgrade. Unfortunately, we have encountered some further systems issues that are not allowing us to currently process the requests to downgrade a travel package certificate. Your patience as we work to correct the systems issues is greatly appreciated.

At this time, we do not have a time frame for when we expect to be able to process the requests. We are asking guests to allow 5 to 10 business days, and to resubmit their requests at a later date."

Last edited:

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have LT Platinum because of the number of nights. I only have 385 nights which puts me at Silver. I'll get LT Gold by next year.

I combined my accounts. With my Starwood stays, I am now lifetime Gold. The new lifetime status showed up immediately.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
... Unfortunately, I got another email response back today to my 2nd request from last night. Now they say they are unable to fulfill the request because of technical issues and to resubmit (for a 3rd time) in 5 to 10 business days. Their email follows.

"We can not answer very many questions at this time and we know that our guests were advised that the blackout period for travel packages is over and to send in their requests for downgrade. Unfortunately, we have encountered some further systems issues that are not allowing us to currently process the requests to downgrade a travel package certificate. Your patience as we work to correct the systems issues is greatly appreciated.

At this time, we do not have a time frame for when we expect to be able to process the requests. We are asking guests to allow 5 to 10 business days, and to resubmit their requests at a later date."

I got the same email. I'm in no hurry, in fact according to the letter cat 6, 8 and tier 1-3 certs. will get 30k points added to their account. Since I only paid an extra 15k points to purchase a cat 6 vs a cat 5 cert. I'll take the 30k points.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as NJDave , also from NJ. Do you have the url handy so we can try later..

Just found it : https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/
It says to try again after 8/22.

Thanks for the link. I applied yesterday morning using the link and received Silver status on United today. The original response said it would take 7 - 10 days. I fly on United next week, so the upgrade is timely.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you combine your accounts now, do you lose out on the ability to earn LT status in one or the other prior to 12/31/18?
From a policy perspective, no. But I don't trust Marriott's system so I will probably hold out and not merge the 2 accounts until after 12/31/18. Anyway, mine would not merge without having Marriott correct my name in my Marriott acccount.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
From a policy perspective, no. But I don't trust Marriott's system so I will probably hold out and not merge the 2 accounts until after 12/31/18. Anyway, mine would not merge without having Marriott correct my name in my Marriott acccount.

I think I read where you must combine before sometime in December

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I read where you must combine before sometime in December
Argh... so we must ass-u-me that Marriott will track our nights and points status separately within their database for the purpose of members working on achieving elite status through grandfather criteria...

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Argh... so we must ass-u-me that Marriott will track our nights and points status separately within their database for the purpose of members working on achieving elite status through grandfather criteria...

Might they allow the transferred Points/Nights to count toward the grandfathered criteria??

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
I have been assuming that they don't but I don't really know.

Based on what I had read here, I didn't think they were going to but all of my wife's SPG nights were added to her Marriott account after we combined the two. I can't tell if the points rolled over but they weren't needed. She already had the 2 million points and will make 750 nights easily by 12/31/18.

Both of us will have Lifetime Platinum Premier in 2019 which isn't going to mean too much. Seems like everyone is now at least a Platinum.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be faced with a decision at years end. I’m at 710 nights and 1.6m points. But Based on the new qualification of 750 nights and 10 years I will be ~ 10 nights short of life time Platinum Premier this year. I have the 10 years. I could get the extra nights using points at MMC for about $5-600 (less if I booked short notice). The problem is I can’t actually use the nights if I book them. I’m thinking if it turns out to be only several nights it’s an easy decision but 10 may be more than it’s worth. Otherwise I think I’ll have life time platinum in 2019. I don’t see a lot of difference between the two other than extra %25 bonus points

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found it under Platinum Elite Benefits. I clicked on my name at the top right of the screen. I then clicked on "Platinum Elite Benefits". At the bottom of that screen there is a list of benefits. Click on the tab / arrow for "Rewards Plus" near the bottom of the page.

I just tried enrolling in RewardsPlus and the response from the website stated that I do not qualify. It appears that the RewardsPlus link is now gone at the bottom of the page when looking at Platinum Elite benefit. I am Platinum Elite.

This is a huge loss for me since I live in Houston with one of United's biggest hubs.

Welcome, TERRY.
It appears you do not meet the minimum level eligibility requirements.

You must be a Platinum Premier Elite member or above to qualify for RewardsPlus.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I enrolled prior in RewardsPlus and my United status never changed. If I recall, when I submitted the form...it somehow showed me a United MileagePlus number which wasn't mine...but didn't give me the option to change. I wonder...do they link this number off of name and/or email and/or phone being the same between MR Rewards and MileagePlus?

I tried RewardsPlus again today, after merger. It stated I was already enrolled. Hmm.

Anyone know who to email to get my MR Rewards account properly linked to the correct United account...so it will update? I can't see any support contact info for the program...? And wasn't sure whether this was Marriott sponsored, United sponsored, or independent. Thoughts on who to call or email to correct?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried enrolling in RewardsPlus and the response from the website stated that I do not qualify. It appears that the RewardsPlus link is now gone at the bottom of the page when looking at Platinum Elite benefit. I am Platinum Elite.

This is a huge loss for me since I live in Houston with one of United's biggest hubs.

This page:

https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Does indicate the minimum level is Platinum Premier Elite.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enrolled prior in RewardsPlus and my United status never changed. If I recall, when I submitted the form...it somehow showed me a United MileagePlus number which wasn't mine...but didn't give me the option to change. I wonder...do they link this number off of name and/or email and/or phone being the same between MR Rewards and MileagePlus?

I tried RewardsPlus again today, after merger. It stated I was already enrolled. Hmm.

Anyone know who to email to get my MR Rewards account properly linked to the correct United account...so it will update? I can't see any support contact info for the program...? And wasn't sure whether this was Marriott sponsored, United sponsored, or independent. Thoughts on who to call or email to correct?

My guess is you clicked the link that said to create a new account. The program seems to be run by Marriott, so, I suspect you'd have to call Marriott (with the hold time) in order to get the linked United account changed. If I recall correctly, I had also create a new United account when I linked them and had to call MR desk to get it changed.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

I'm afraid my wife's account may have just become similarly affected by this. She couldn't remember if she had an active United account. So, when we went through the steps to link her MR with United it came up with a 'Your account xxxx1234 is now linked with your MileagePlus account xxxx1234'. Problem is, when we try to pull up what was represented as her MileagePlus account using the 'forgot account number' feature on the United website, none of the identifying information we are providing (like name, address, phone number) is working. We are being told 'no account found'. This makes us wonder if her MR account has been linked to someone else's MP account...

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This page:

https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Does indicate the minimum level is Platinum Premier Elite.

Yes I know. I pointed this out on this thread a couple of days ago, but was told by others that Platinum Elite's got the benefit as well. When "we" Platinums went to see our benefits online and on the app, there was a RewardsPlus link that lead to a statement saying that both Platinum and Platinum Premier qualified for RewardsPlus. Now that link is gone.

It was just a nice perk that we that we thought we had gained.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I know. I pointed this out on this thread a couple of days ago, but was told by others that Platinum Elite's got the benefit as well. When "we" Platinums went to see our benefits online and on the app, there was a RewardsPlus link that lead to a statement saying that both Platinum and Platinum Premier qualified for RewardsPlus. Now that link is gone.

It was just a nice perk that we that we thought we had gained.

I suspect that was from the old levels. I don't recall the old Gold getting United silver, though, could be wrong. Old Gold = new Platinum. I believe I only got it once I reached Presidential level. I get that it was likely exciting to see, but suspect it was just an oversight.

Here's an article from before the merger stating that there were no changes to RewardsPlus:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ins-and-outs-marriott-new-elite-program/

Just look for "United".

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
So I just (few hours ago) enrolled in rewards plus and it said the two accounts have been linked (correct numbers). But when I login to united it doesn't show anything. Where would it indicate silver status?

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
So I just (few hours ago) enrolled in rewards plus and it said the two accounts have been linked (correct numbers). But when I login to united it doesn't show anything. Where would it indicate silver status?

Never mind... From the Rewards Plus FAQs
upload_2018-8-24_18-13-19.png

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Using Marriott website, I requested points back on my pre cat 6 that would become a post cat 4. I saw a cat 6 cancellation and I have the cat 1-4 certificate. I was given any points back so I called MR customer service. I was told only 10K points would be going back to my account. I was also told it would take 3 to 5 business days. Has anyone else requested this for a 5 night package and if so how many points were returned to your account?

Thanks