• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Lane

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were scheduled to fly to O’ahu tomorrow staying at Aulani until Monday, then heading to The Bay Club on The Big Island.

We pushed our flight to Saturday so we will miss 2 days in Oahu, but better safe than sorry.

I have travel insurance, but it has been my experience that unless the resort closes, you do not receive reimbursement. However, Aulani is a cash reservation and they have been very accommodating and said they will reimburse the lost nights.

Hope the storm passes with minimal damage and everyone is safe!

Maria

Kapolei

Reaction score
I wouldn’t change travel plans at this point unless airline is making you. Moving away from Thurs Fri sounds good. But for weekend arrivals, absent a major change in the forecast, it should be a beautiful week for those arriving just after storm.

LJT

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha - on Kauai now at the Westin Princeville. We are supposed to fly to HNL on Friday night then leave for Texas on Saturday morning. We will see what happens. For now the weather is beautiful here. We plan to get in line for gas this morning in case we are stuck in traffic going to Lihue but otherwise are hopeful it will just be some delays and inconvenience. Locals here that lived thru Iniki are understandably concerned. That storm devastated the island and they had months of inconvenience. Supplies are starting to run low as they stock up just in case.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Aloha - on Kauai now at the Westin Princeville. We are supposed to fly to HNL on Friday night then leave for Texas on Saturday morning. We will see what happens. For now the weather is beautiful here. We plan to get in line for gas this morning in case we are stuck in traffic going to Lihue but otherwise are hopeful it will just be some delays and inconvenience. Locals here that lived thru Iniki are understandably concerned. That storm devastated the island and they had months of inconvenience. Supplies are starting to run low as they stock up just in case.

Hurricanes are very rare in Hawaii. But people don’t forget. I think right now any chance of getting hit by more than a Cat 1 is very remote.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I knew you were being anecdotal, just wanted to make sure that no one put too much faith in Madame Pele. She appears to be resting.

Dang it! Sarcasm is so hard to read on these boards.
Brian, can't you do something about that? o_O

Nevermind.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
At Ko Olina now. Staff just put up posters asking us to get 5days of non perishable food and water. Yikes. I tried to get out tomorrow but all flights are booked. It will be interesting ...

oh no...please be safe!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
HONOLULU (AP) — Officials say Hurricane Lane has been downgraded to a Category 4 hurricane with more weakening forecast over next 2 days.

Forecasters are hesitant to belittle the threat of this very, very powerful storm and it' s capacity for damage.....however....
The storm has been downgraded and is expected to further degrade over the next 72 hours, while continuing on a more westerly heading.

While the forecasts are imperfect and subject to rapid changes, this continues to be positive news for all those effected by the storm.

What's important to notice: The storm is currently forecast to rapidly dissipate as it passes the islands.
Do not abandon caution or your prayers!
Stay safe, think good thoughts.

Remember: the most destructive effects of a Hurricane....
  • Blown or fallen debris. Stay indoors, away from windows and in a structurally safe place. Cat 4 winds turn debris into weapons
  • Flood waters: with over 20 inches of rain, coastal and low-areas are at risk for high-tides and flash flooding
  • Post-storm debris: broken glass, power lines, gas leaks, bacteria and toxic run-off. Stay away from storm run-off

EP142018_3day_cone_no_line_32.png

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I knew you were being anecdotal, just wanted to make sure that no one put too much faith in Madame Pele. She appears to be resting.

And that would be one massive eruption to push away a hurricane of large intensity. I think the Big Island would rather take the hurricane (tongue in cheek ;))

I've been texting my brother in Honolulu, and they're pretty much prepared for this storm except for ice.
Goodness my mother has 2 refrigerators worth of food, lots of charcoal and enough canned goods to last them a month,
plus my brother always has some military MREs on hand. We always kid him about those; has one even in his car!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received notification from Marriott's Waiohai staff that we should prepare for heavy weather on Friday/Saturday and that we should have 3 days of non-perishable food and water. We were scheduled to head to the Courtyard Marriott Coconut Beach for Friday night but I'm currently looking to change that to a hotel that isn't so far away from the airport.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My niece is there on vacation alone. She said the hotel was going to move them to a school

LJT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update on our situation - since we were supposed to fly Lihue to HNL Friday night, we would be flying right into the storm so both Hawaiian and American Airlines advised us to reschedule. We are going to leave the Westin Princeville Saturday and move to the Marriott Courtyard for Saturday and Sunday night, then fly to HNL on Monday and home from there Monday night. A few extra days in paradise albeit probably rainy ones! On a side note - we went to get gas this morning and the Princeville station was chaos! We went to Kilauea and they had attendants directing the cars to the pumps so the lines moved quickly and efficiently!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
For future reference.. just a FYI about hurricane activity in Hawaii :cool:

From CNN

Hurricanes rarely make landfall in Hawaii, as the Central Pacific does not see as many storms as the Atlantic or Eastern Pacific, and the Hawaiian Islands present a small target in the vast Pacific Ocean.

Only two hurricanes and two tropical storms have made landfall in Hawaii since 1959:
Hurricane Dot, in 1959
Hurricane Iniki, in 1992
Tropical Storm Iselle, in 2014
Tropical Storm Darby, in 2016

Even close calls are somewhat rare, with Hawaii getting a named storm within 60 miles of its coastline about once every four years on average.

Lane represented another kind of rarity: It was a Category 5 storm late Tuesday before weakening Wednesday morning.

As such, this was only the second time in recorded history that a Category 5 hurricane came within 350 miles of the state -- the first one being Hurricane John in 1994 -- the National Weather Service said.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I will be following this thread through the storm. If any visitors are in the Ko Olina area and you have questions, don’t be afraid to post them here. I live nearby.

Hopefully, all will go well and we will dodge this monster. I am expecting a ton of rain and long duration of tropical storm force winds. I am praying it doesn’t get worse than that.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there anybody at a timeshare in Poipu or Lihue (anywhere south of the Wailua river really) who is abandoning their timeshare early?

elizk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for posting up to date information. The husband and I are leaving very early Sunday morning for Waiohai and are a little worried.
From the looks of the current projections, the majority of the hurricane will have passed to the west/northwest of Kauai and been downgraded to a tropical storm by then.
As of today, HA is offering to waive the fees for changes for flights up until 8/26, but so far we have stuck with our plans.

I’m concerned about the local folks and how they will get through the storm, about flooding and lack of supplies. Hoping for the best for all of us; please keep the good info coming.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The current storm track could easily have the hurricane right off the south western edge of Oahu. Seems strange that Lane could take a major turn west, approx Friday evening, away from the arc of the preceeding path.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/?storm=Lane

Go inland if you can.
Just hope the fuel refinery and storage areas at Barber's pt, Oahu, and the airports don't sustain much damage. Got to refuel those birds to get visitors back home. And have gasoline for cars. Hope they have enough in reserves.

Kapolei

Reaction score
The current storm track could easily have the hurricane right off the south western edge of Oahu. Seems strange that Lane could take a major turn west, approx Friday evening, away from the arc of the preceeding path.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/?storm=Lane

Go inland if you can.
Just hope the fuel refinery and storage areas at Barber's pt, Oahu, and the airports don't sustain much damage. Got to refuel those birds to get visitors back home. And have gasoline for cars. Hope they have enough in reserves.

The turn to the west would be related to 30-40 kt wind shear which will significantly weaken the storm. With the stormed weakened, it is expected to veer left. There have been significant hurricanes that have had the tops blown right off them as they approach Hawaii by this kind of wind shear.

If the wind shear is not as strong as expected or appears later than expected, Lane will maintain its strength and continue straight north into Oahu or Molokai. At this point, there is a low probability of this outcome. But it cannot be ruled out.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It looks to be further west at this point than they showed in the projections. The further west it is while it is south of the islands is a good thing. One troubling thinks is that the speed slowed to 7 mph so the closer it stays to the islands the more wind, rain and flooding there would be. But it will help for it to weaken as it goes northwest.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Latest track advisory as of 5AM HST

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.52.02 AM.png

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Normal day yesterday and seems to be normal this morning. Most places are out of water, charcoal and propane. There were pallets of water ar kapolei walmart yesterday morning.

If there are any tuggers that need info or help pm me. I live a few minutes away and will try to help. Though if you are at mko i can't think of a better place to weather the storm.

Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Kapolei

Reaction score
Normal day yesterday and seems to be normal this morning. Most places are out of water, charcoal and propane. There were pallets of water ar kapolei walmart yesterday morning.

If there are any tuggers that need info or help pm me. I live a few minutes away and will try to help. Though if you are at mko i can't think of a better place to weather the storm.

Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

It is getting cloudy. So I suggest those at MKO with the Costco steaks, head down to the grill early.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are still at MKO and I agree that this should be a good place to weather the storm with all of the concrete structures. The resort hung directions on our door last night that are actually pretty comical. They ask us to bring the lanai furniture inside (makes sense), close the doors and curtains (makes sense), leave the AC on (OK, we want that anyone but funny), turn off the lights (what? With the blinds closed we should just sit in the dark?), turn off all appliances (what? Turn off the clock on the microwave and washer? Or, are they talking about the TV which I wouldn’t normally call an appliance?). Funny.

We tried to buy water yesterday. But, it was pretty much gone except weird specialty water. So, we filled up pitchers and other containers in our room. We will fill the bath later.

The storm slowed so much now that most of today should actually be pretty normal around here. Hope so.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
they dont suggest filling up the bathtub with water? (or do those rooms not have a tub)?

thats pretty much the norm for here in florida when a big storm is headed this way.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It is getting cloudy. So I suggest those at MKO with the Costco steaks, head down to the grill early.
Am in town now and it was raining heavy. Funny thing that the rain and clounds are coming from windward side. Out towards ocean (where the hurricane is coming from) it is less cloudy with patches of blue sky.

If someone is looking for water, Costco in kapolei received some bottled water from Hawaiian isles and Menehune in 1.5 litre bottles.

Mko has big generators in each building. I know they run the elevators for sure and some lights. Dont know what else they power but I think being at mko right now is pretty safe. If electricity goes out you have propane grills to use and the kitchen for restaurants use gas for cooking. Cant see them letting any guest starve there.

Next noaa update in about an hour.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, everyone for posting up to date information. The husband and I are leaving very early Sunday morning for Waiohai and are a little worried.
From the looks of the current projections, the majority of the hurricane will have passed to the west/northwest of Kauai and been downgraded to a tropical storm by then.
As of today, HA is offering to waive the fees for changes for flights up until 8/26, but so far we have stuck with our plans.

I’m concerned about the local folks and how they will get through the storm, about flooding and lack of supplies. Hoping for the best for all of us; please keep the good info coming.

Sorry about your vacation.
If it were me, I'd change flight to arrive Monday or wait until the Friday 5 pm tracking update (I think there's one at 5) to change, if storm is veering towards Oahu, or not on the predicted westerly turn. Hawaiian Air could still cancel your Sunday flight, and then you'd have to scramble to get on a Monday flight, if flights are resumed on Monday. There will still be plenty of rain, storm surf and potential flooding of the roads leading down to Waiohai. So would be better IMO, to wait a day longer for flooding and rain to subside