• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lots of smoke inland PNW

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Today the smoke is so thick it resembles fog. Not good. These fires seem to be happening every year. Ever since logging practices changed in WA the forests have over grown and littered the forest floor with kindling.

Many of the mountain resorts in WA are choked out with smoke. It might be time to head to the ocean.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Here in New Mexico we are getting smoke from the California fires. We couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I heard it on the news last night.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Today the smoke is so thick it resembles fog. Not good. These fires seem to be happening every year. Ever since logging practices changed in WA the forests have over grown and littered the forest floor with kindling.

Many of the mountain resorts in WA are choked out with smoke. It might be time to head to the ocean.

Bill
PNW? People Never Work? People's Normal Workload?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Fairly heavy smoky haze hereabouts. 3-5 mi. visibility. I hear talk of it being a 'new normal'. Hope not.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Fairly heavy smoky haze hereabouts. 3-5 mi. visibility. I hear talk of it being a 'new normal'. Hope not.
It'll either start raining or all the trees will be burned down, so either way the smoke will end.

It rained last night here in Calgary, so the smoke was way down here today, which was a welcome relief.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I noticed the lawn really took off this week. Same with the weeds. Some one said it was the smoke helping the plants grow. Supposedly, wild fires are good for mushrooms too.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I think in southern California, Arizona, New Mexico they call PNW, Pacific Northwet.

Yup today was the smokiest and lowest lying haze I've ever seen in Seattle.
We could do with some wet around the region.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We live right across the Street from Bush Park in Salem Oregon. It was interesting to see all the people ignoring the Health Warning as they were out running in the Park. The smoke/haze was so bad you could look directly at the sun. The only "saving grace" was the smoke/haze was so thick it was blocking the sun light so the actual high was 10°F below the predicted high. Low 80's vice low 90's.

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I encountered extremely heavy smoke (I chose to wear an N-95 mask) when driving north last Friday between Redding and Dunsmuir, CA. And patches of smoke extended up north through Grants Pass, OR.

This week I'm making the return trip heading south. Yesterday I encountered moderate smoke all the way south of Portland. And today I'm continuing south from Roseburg, OR. Who knows what I'll find! ;-(

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I encountered extremely heavy smoke (I chose to wear an N-95 mask) when driving north last Friday between Redding and Dunsmuir, CA. And patches of smoke extended up north through Grants Pass, OR.

This week I'm making the return trip heading south. Yesterday I encountered moderate smoke all the way south of Portland. And today I'm continuing south from Roseburg, OR. Who knows what I'll find! ;-(

We did a trip up to vancouver island and drove back last week. The worst smoke was around ashland and redding.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had smoke here for weeks. Intensity depends on the wind direction. BC is on fire too (still part of PNW!). Last week it was so bad that one day the photo sensing lights all came on in the middle of the day!

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

Just to complete my story, I encountered virtually identical conditions on my southbound trip yesterday (Tuesday). Heading south from Roseburg, OR, the smoke became fully "horrible" by Medford. And it got slightly worse through the mountains, but significantly lightened south of Redding, CA.

Still I'd say the conditions south of Redding were slightly worse than on my northbound trip last week. ;-(

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I live in western New York and believe it or not our weather is being affected by PNW smoke. It's creating a base and degrading our air quality.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had considered retiring in the PNW -glad we decided on western NC.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is not a normal occurrence.

It kind of is the new norm. Every year you can count on a wildfire season better than the season before. The forest service is out of money and regulations were put in place that eliminated logging and live stock grazing that let the forest go back to a natural condition. Many roads were closed as well.

What this means is more tinder is on the ground. In some places I hike there is about three feet of twigs, branches and dead shrub growth in over grown thick forest. In these thick forest areas , many of the trees are distressed because there are too many trees competing for resources. Oddly, we are not allowed to cut dead trees down for firewood anymore because they are considered habitat. About the only thing that lives in these dead standing trees are bugs that multiply and attack living trees.

Yes, wildfires are the new normal out west.

Bill

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hope it clears in Seattle by next week, headed there for a few days before taking Alaska cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hope it clears in Seattle by next week, headed there for a few days before taking Alaska cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good news is we've had a change to more typical wind direction, now from West with more marine air. And some light drizzle. Hope it keeps up to drive out the smoke. Still gray, no direct sunshine.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I was in Spokane/Coeur D'Alene Idaho area two weeks ago and air quality was terrible. Just spoke to someone in the area and they said it has gotten worse.