• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Incline Village availability questions

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Tahoe seems to be the sweet spot for our family although we aren't really "fixed week" people so I am less than thrilled about the weeks being sold as fixed. (We never seem to use our fixed weeks and almost always trade into another week - it just seems like something always comes up). So could I buy into Sedona and trade into High Sierra or if we want something in the summer, do we need to buy a summer week at High Sierra? What about Sept/early October weeks?

Thanks for any help. I am also considering Welk to access Northstar. If you also know about that system, please feel free to chime in.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tahoe seems to be the sweet spot for our family although we aren't really "fixed week" people so I am less than thrilled about the weeks being sold as fixed. (We never seem to use our fixed weeks and almost always trade into another week - it just seems like something always comes up). So could I buy into Sedona and trade into High Sierra or if we want something in the summer, do we need to buy a summer week at High Sierra? What about Sept/early October weeks?

Thanks for any help. I am also considering Welk to access Northstar. If you also know about that system, please feel free to chime in.

My experience is that summer weeks don't show up very often for Hyatt High Sierra in the Hyatt internal trading system. I don't remember ever seeing anything in July or early August. I have seen several Hyatt Northstar units appear internally for this August but those are not very common.

I haven't specifically looked for Sept./Oct. weeks but my sense is that they are easier for High Sierra. Sometimes it depends if you want a week or just a two or four day midweek stay. Of course the best time to look internally is six months before you want to stay.

In the winter for skiing I prefer to stay at Northstar but the rest of the year I prefer High Sierra.

There is a four night stay starting August 28, 2018 available today at High Sierra.

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I often see 2 or 4 day exhanges at hyatt sierra for july or august. In fact there are 2 & 4 day exchanges available for next week in the hyatt internal exchange right now. They often show up at the last minute so you have to be flexible. Sept & oct are often available. Last week an entire sept week was available.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
What is your logic in buying Sedona if you want to go to Tahoe? Less upfront cost?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is your logic in buying Sedona if you want to go to Tahoe? Less upfront cost?
Yep. If I'm going to trade in anyway I may as well spend less. (And Sedona would be my second choice anyway because I love it there). But if I need to own there then I would have to think about the fixed week option. I'm not sure that this makes the most sense for us. My adult kid's lifestyles aren't terribly conducive to a fixed week unfortunately.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Yep. If I'm going to trade in anyway I may as well spend less. (And Sedona would be my second choice anyway because I love it there). But if I need to own there then I would have to think about the fixed week option. I'm not sure that this makes the most sense for us. My adult kid's lifestyles aren't terribly conducive to a fixed week unfortunately.

My impression is that Hyatt in Incline Village in summer is a difficult internal trade. I think a lot of people use their weeks. Sedona seems like a consistently easier trade. So other than the upfront cost, imo it makes more sense to own a Tahoe summer week. They are expensive to buy but also hold value when it comes time to sell.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My kids are already pushing for Sept/Oct but I would prefer summer. We also need two units. I may just trade into Ridge Tahoe to see if that would work for us (even though I much prefer north Lake Tahoe) or maybe just rent. I am pretty sure that they would never commit to a specific week....I had a hard enough time getting them up to Northstar last week even with nearly 2 years notice! Fair enough, they have their own lives. :D

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
My kids are already pushing for Sept/Oct but I would prefer summer. We also need two units. I may just trade into Ridge Tahoe to see if that would work for us (even though I much prefer north Lake Tahoe) or maybe just rent. I am pretty sure that they would never commit to a specific week....I had a hard enough time getting them up to Northstar last week even with nearly 2 years notice! Fair enough, they have their own lives. :D

Sept in Tahoe is really nice. Much of September at the Hyatt is silver season, so pretty affordable.

But I get it about the planning too. A lot of people just don’t want to commit to a plan until a few months out. Really we’re the abnormal ones, booking travel 2 years out...

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sept in Tahoe is really nice. Much of September at the Hyatt is silver season, so pretty affordable.

But I get it about the planning too. A lot of people just don’t want to commit to a plan until a few months out. Really we’re the abnormal ones, booking travel 2 years out...
So true. As recently as New Years, not one of my three "kids" could commit to the August dates. And in the end because of their job commitments we had two daughters from Friday - Monday and the other from Sunday - Thursday. Plus two of their friends joined us. All in all it was a perfect trip and everyone wants to do it again, but it will probably be more of a long weekend thing than a full week. I will have to give September some thought. I just want to be able to kayak while were are there and I am not sure if we can rent a kayak in Sept or if they are closed for the season. I guess that we are not ready to make any decisions yet. :)

Thanks for the input everyone. It was most helpful!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My experience is that summer weeks don't show up very often for Hyatt High Sierra in the Hyatt internal trading system. I don't remember ever seeing anything in July or early August. I have seen several Hyatt Northstar units appear internally for this August but those are not very common.

I haven't specifically looked for Sept./Oct. weeks but my sense is that they are easier for High Sierra. Sometimes it depends if you want a week or just a two or four day midweek stay. Of course the best time to look internally is six months before you want to stay.

In the winter for skiing I prefer to stay at Northstar but the rest of the year I prefer High Sierra.

There is a four night stay starting August 28, 2018 available today at High Sierra.

Where do you stay at Northstar during ski season? I know almost all the Northstar Village condos are part of various timeshares programs. I can trade into them using Elite Alliance or stay at Marriott using my MVC points. But these are expensive and hard trades to get. I got a 3 night stay in a 2 bedroom at the Ritz Carlton for President’s Day weekend in 2019. I was incredibly lucky to get the 2 bedroom because there are only two 2 bedrooms at the Ritz Carlton Residence Club. So while it cost a lot in points, it was definitely less than the 3 and 4 bedrooms, which I often see available. I am just wondering what other options there are for Northstar.

We also bought a Getaway at Olympic Village Inn at Squaw Valley for the week before Christmas. Great deal for $300 for the week. Even though it is before Christmas, the tail end of our week ends on Sunday and that part of the week is the start of the holiday high season.

I almost bought a week at Hyatt High Sierra but my main interest is skiing and High Sierra is too far from Squaw and Northstar so we decided to pass. I see many exchanges through II into Hyatt High Sierra in shoulder seasons. That was another reason we decided not to buy there. We can pick up a Getaway on II or trade into it if all we want to do is enjoy Tahoe and the Lake.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a gold week at High Sierra and absolutely love it. You name it. We have used it, have traded it using the internal system, and have used it to trade into Marriotts via II (it has great trading power). Love the north side of the lake. We have stayed at Welk Northstar, but would not want to buy Welk.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have a gold week at High Sierra and absolutely love it. You name it. We have used it, have traded it using the internal system, and have used it to trade into Marriotts via II (it has great trading power). Love the north side of the lake. We have stayed at Welk Northstar, but would not want to buy Welk.
Have you traded it for any summer weeks? How many points do you have? Just trying to figure out what we need.

Yeah, Welk locations are limited so internal trading isn't great for us. I don't know much else about their system.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do you stay at Northstar during ski season? I know almost all the Northstar Village condos are part of various timeshares programs. I can trade into them using Elite Alliance or stay at Marriott using my MVC points. But these are expensive and hard trades to get. I got a 3 night stay in a 2 bedroom at the Ritz Carlton for President’s Day weekend in 2019. I was incredibly lucky to get the 2 bedroom because there are only two 2 bedrooms at the Ritz Carlton Residence Club. So while it cost a lot in points, it was definitely less than the 3 and 4 bedrooms, which I often see available. I am just wondering what other options there are for Northstar.

We also bought a Getaway at Olympic Village Inn at Squaw Valley for the week before Christmas. Great deal for $300 for the week. Even though it is before Christmas, the tail end of our week ends on Sunday and that part of the week is the start of the holiday high season.

I almost bought a week at Hyatt High Sierra but my main interest is skiing and High Sierra is too far from Squaw and Northstar so we decided to pass. I see many exchanges through II into Hyatt High Sierra in shoulder seasons. That was another reason we decided not to buy there. We can pick up a Getaway on II or trade into it if all we want to do is enjoy Tahoe and the Lake.

I stay at the Welk/Hyatt Northstar Lodge.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Have you traded it for any summer weeks? How many points do you have? Just trying to figure out what we need.

Yeah, Welk locations are limited so internal trading isn't great for us. I don't know much else about their system.

We also have a gold week at High Sierra.

A gold week is worth 1880 points. I believe summer weeks are 2000 pts (platinum), so without owning multiple weeks (and thus having more points), you can't use a Hyatt gold week to trade into a platinum week.

If you need two units and are fine with September, I believe September weeks are 1400 pts. If you could find two units in the same week, you'd have 2800 pts which would be really nice in the Hyatt system. You would have enough points to trade into most weeks (availability might be the issue of course), or you could use your two owned weeks at Tahoe. If you're ok with September, you could maybe trade in using a Pinon Pointe ownership, but it would probably be more straightforward to own Tahoe.

The drawback is two MFs but the purchase price would be lower for two silver (1400 pt) weeks than one platinum summer week at Tahoe. The other drawback is your silver units might be harder to sell but I think you'd have a good chance of getting most of your investment back, if you didn't over pay when you bought.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

No, have never traded for a summer week. Points questions answered by HP.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also have a gold week at High Sierra.

A gold week is worth 1880 points. I believe summer weeks are 2000 pts (platinum), so without owning multiple weeks (and thus having more points), you can't use a Hyatt gold week to trade into a platinum week.

If you need two units and are fine with September, I believe September weeks are 1400 pts. If you could find two units in the same week, you'd have 2800 pts which would be really nice in the Hyatt system. You would have enough points to trade into most weeks (availability might be the issue of course), or you could use your two owned weeks at Tahoe. If you're ok with September, you could maybe trade in using a Pinon Pointe ownership, but it would probably be more straightforward to own Tahoe.

The drawback is two MFs but the purchase price would be lower for two silver (1400 pt) weeks than one platinum summer week at Tahoe. The other drawback is your silver units might be harder to sell but I think you'd have a good chance of getting most of your investment back, if you didn't over pay when you bought.
Can you combine points from different units? For example if you own 2 1400 pt units, and move both units to CUP, can you combine those points and use them to reserve a single unit that costs 2200 points?

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Can you combine points from different units? For example if you own 2 1400 pt units, and move both units to CUP, can you combine those points and use them to reserve a single unit that costs 2200 points?
Yes, as long as the CUP/LCUP overlap for the time period that you want. I did this to get hyatt maui one year in a 2 bedroom, and this past april in a 3 bedroom at maui.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Late August and all of September are great times to be at Tahoe. Fewer crowds, but still good weather. Fall colors usually start in earnest in October, but can start in late September in higher elevations.

I prefer South Lake, but we spend time all around the lake both in timeshare stays and just traveling to other parts of Tahoe while there. It's an easy and always scenic day trip along the Nevada east side between Incline and South Lake too.

You may want to investigate closing dates for kayak rentals though. I suspect they're open until the end of August, but not sure about September. A day trip you should consider is the free kayak use on Independence Lake north of Tahoe. The Nature Conservancy bought the lake and woods around it from a timber company IIRC, and preserves it for hiking and kayaking. It's a bit of a dirt road to get there after a 20-30 minute drive north of Truckee, but an interesting management style of a near-wilderness type setting.