• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Post-8/18/18 Marriott Rewards changes / Website and App mistakes and glitches

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone with LTG prior to the merge was automatically moved to LTP, so your wife is in good shape. Sounds like you've done your homework so you're covered as well. Congrats!

Nice...
We had been using my wife's Marriott account for all our timeshare/Marriott hotel stuff until MVC started awarding for MVC status, at which time my wife had 500 nights, enough to make LTG, so I moved the status over to my Marriott rewards account allowing both of us to have elite status with MRP. When I was reading the new requirements for LT status, it showed 600 nights needed for LTP so I figured my wife's account (with 524 LT nights) would only count for LTG but she is listed as LTP even after I combined her accounts. I don't have LT status but with MVC Chairman's club status I'll have the equivalent LTPP status as long as are MVC points remain above 15000.

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Destination Club Member
I've had varying degrees of success over the past few days. I suggest you change the browser that you're using. I've had lots of trouble using Firefox and Chrome, but much less difficulty with MSExplorer. Go figure!

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Saw that same error message using Chrome and then also with Microsoft Edge.

When I have been able to log in over the past few days, there have been a variety of different errors in my account and my wife's account. Our points look OK (at least the last time I logged in), and our status has been corrected as of the last successful login. Also, an upcoming reservation at a Starwood hotel was initially missing, but I saw it added to my Marriott account yesterday.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble logging into my Marriott Hotel account. Anybody else seeing this issue?

I am getting the attached error.
I am getting the exact same message. yesterday, an error showed in one of our reservations; tried to get into it to see if it was corrected, so far, no luck getting on today.
A little concerned since our trip reservation is before the September 15 date.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
None of this is surprising.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I must be lucky. I have no issues signing in and can navigate. All of my reservations are there. And I've merged my Starwood and Marriott accounts.
Everything is working for me now again also.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble logging into my Marriott Hotel account. Anybody else seeing this issue?
I'm OK but I've seen a lot of posts on Facebook from people with your issue. As Fasttr said, give it time. If you are in the unfortunate position of having to do something with your account in the next 48 hours I'd try different browsers, computers, and the app - many people have reported luck with one but not another.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Everything is working for me now aging also.

I'm aging also. Maybe it would have been better if marriott.com had stayed off-line so I could get a few years younger before they fixed their IT issues. But alas, they are back online, and I'm back to aging.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Question to anyone who has a handle on the new changes- something on my account doesn’t make sense to me and I’m not sure if it just still is in transition or if I’m confused. My app did update to blue and everything else looks right- preferences, reservations.

On the app on the lifetime status page it says I have 560 nights -this is above a line that terminates with a small 250
And years at silver elite or higher it says 10 - this is above a line that terminates at 5
It says “next tier lifetime silver”

Clicking for more details it says I have 560 nights, years silver gold or platinum is 10, years gold or platinum is 9, years platinum is 9.

Below that it says achieving lifetime status
Lifetime silver elite is 250 nights and 5 yrs elite
Gold is 400 and 7 yrs gold elite or higher
Platinum is 600 and 10 yrs platinum elite or higher

As I read this, I should be lifetime gold elite, up next is platinum in a year when I have 10 years platinum ( assuming I get another 40 nights by then).

Or am I reading this wrong?
Is the acheivement chart the current one?
Under my status when it says nights are they perhaps not all “lifetime nights”
Under my status when it says years gold or platinum 9 is it possible they're not “elite years”?

Thoughts appreciated. Obviously this is a low priority problem that I would want to bother calling about during this busy transition time.

My current status is platinum elite
21 nights to platinum premier elite
Next up ambassador service

Thanks very much for any guidance.

I'm in a similar situation. Did not have lifetime status with Marriott before due to points. But now that it's nights + years of status I should be lifetime Gold (542 nights + 9 years Gold). App shows next tier as Lifetime Silver.

Marriott told me current lifetime status reflected is under the "old rules" until Dec 31. Then it should switch.

Has anyone else had a different experience - i.e., was not lifetime of any kind before but now has app showing lifetime status of some kind?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. Did not have lifetime status with Marriott before due to points. But now that it's nights + years of status I should be lifetime Gold (542 nights + 9 years Gold). App shows next tier as Lifetime Silver.

Marriott told me current lifetime status reflected is under the "old rules" until Dec 31. Then it should switch.

Has anyone else had a different experience - i.e., was not lifetime of any kind before but now has app showing lifetime status of some kind?

Dan,
I’ve posted a bunch of updates since I posted that.
I found that combining my Marriott and spg account instantly fixed everything- even though I didn’t have anything in my spg account.
Give it a try. Log into one of your accounts and it will guide you through.
Good luck.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Dan,
I’ve posted a bunch of updates since I posted that.
I found that combining my Marriott and spg account instantly fixed everything- even though I didn’t have anything in my spg account.
Give it a try. Log into one of your accounts and it will guide you through.
Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to wait a few weeks on that. SPG is my primary credit card so I want to make sure the points post to the new SPG account before I do the merge and have the points hop over twice (old spg -> new spg -> original Marriott)

Now that SPG card gives 2 Marriott points / dollar instead of 1 SPG point / dollar (= 3 Marriott points) I'll have to rethink how much I use that card, but with the free 35K point award night it's worth keeping.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What do you all expect to get when paying Marriott and Vistana maintenance fees? I used to get 2X on my SBP fees. I am wondering if we will get 6X on those. If I only get 2X, it's a ripoff.

And seriously, my Chase Sapphire Reserve is going to be better, if we just get 2X on Vistana fees.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you all expect to get when paying Marriott and Vistana maintenance fees? I used to get 2X on my SBP fees. I am wondering if we will get 6X on those. If I only get 2X, it's a ripoff.

I expect 6x. At least for MVCI, just like I have always gotten (well, used to be 5x).

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

And seriously, my Chase Sapphire Reserve is going to be better, if we just get 2X on Vistana fees.

Amex SPG card advertises 6 points for each dollar on eligible SPG and Marriott purchases so should be the same as before.

I'm wondering if I can use it to pay Marriott MFs and get 6x (I kept the old Marriott card that gives 5x because I like the feature of being able to accumulate status nights for each $3000 - the "upgraded" Marriott card took that away although the free night is usable at higher end hotels)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

You will likely only get 2x the points when paying your Vistana MF with the new Chase Marriott Visa. Others have already reported this. It may change once the merger between MVC and Vistana happens.

Amex SPG card advertises 6 points for each dollar on eligible SPG and Marriott purchases so should be the same as before.

I'm wondering if I can use it to pay Marriott MFs and get 6x (I kept the old Marriott card that gives 5x because I like the feature of being able to accumulate status nights for each $3000 - the "upgraded" Marriott card took that away although the free night is usable at higher end hotels)
SPG Amex gets the multiplier on Vistana and Marriott MFs. However the Chase Marriott Visa does not.

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will liley only get 2x the points when paying your MF with the new Chase Marriott Visa. Others have already reported this. It may change once the merger between MVC and Vistana happens.

SPG Amex gets the multiplier on Vistana and Marriott MFs. However the Chase Marriott Visa does not.

I'd like to be sure that I understand this, and wonder if you can clarify?

Does this mean that it's in a Marriott timeshare owner's best interests to pay their 2019 MVCI Maintenance Fees with their SPG Amex card, and NOT their NEW Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus card, to maximize the number of Marriott Rewards (or whatever they'll call them) points that the MVCI timeshare owner/SPG Amex or Marriott Visa cardholder earns?

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to a new twist on the Starwood App.

My higher level status on the Marriott App, that was previously seen on the Starwood App, is no longer on the Starwood App. I called Starwood, and they say that they are aware of the problem, and that it will take a few days to straighten out.

Unfortunate that Marriott/Starwood had things straightened out, and have now reverted back to the "work in progress" of this past weekend.

My Crystal Ball says that Marriott is going to take the high road, and issue a one time, very significant bonus/gift to Marriott Rewards members and SPG members, at the end of 2018, as a token of Marriott's appreciation for the many inconveniences that they caused their most loyal guests, during the merger of the two brand loyalty programs.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I merged my Marriott and SPG accounts yesterday

I had 25K Marriott Points and 12K SPG points which should equal 36K MRP.

It is showing in my account as 37K MRPs.

anyone else have this issue?
I also merged my husbands account and it was the same result.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will liley only get 2x the points when paying your MF with the new Chase Marriott Visa.

Why do you say that? I paid my MF on July 20 and got 6x. It shows up right on the line that says "6X Points on Marriott Hotel Purchases". It's always been this way, the old card always gave me 5X. This is with the new card and for a Marriott MF. Do you think it is changing since the merger now?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why do you say that? I paid my MF on July 20 and got 6x. It shows up right on the line that says "6X Points on Marriott Hotel Purchases". It's always been this way, the old card always gave me 5X. This is with the new card and for a Marriott MF. Do you think it is changing since the merger now?
I have clarified my post. Since the @rickandcindy23 were mostly referring to Vistana and SBP fees, I responded based on Vistana MFs.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I merged my two accounts today and my SPG points rolled over immediately. It looks like they have counted those SPG points toward my lifetime status, as the Marriott app now shows me as Lifetime Gold. I am hoping this is under the old system and will translate to Lifetime Platinum under the new system on January 1st.

My Lifetime Platinum years also adjusted from 9 to 10 according to the app.

Of course the app had a disclaimer stating that lifetime status was subject to change.