• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official changes to Marriott Rewards program effective 8/18/18

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I know I screwed up, but I'm not sure it makes any difference anyway. I was trying to ensure the email addresses on my DH's Marriott and linked Starwood accounts were the same ("his" MR account has "my" email address on it, and my account has his; we use "his" account for all our travels, but I make all the arrangements and store all the emails related to each trip). Anyway, I had both sites open, to check this out, intending to use the Marriott.com to combine the accounts so he would retain his MARRIOTT account number (we are so accustomed to Marriott; never used the SPG site. But apparently I inadvertently closed the Marriott.com tab and proceeded with the SPG page. So now he appears to have a new member number and all the peripheral makings on the website are SPG oriented. Argh.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to "fix" this? I assume we are just stuck now. And does it really make any difference? I think not, but I'm still frustrated that I messed up something so easy...

Also, as I was about to update the Personal Info and Change Password sections of his profile, I got error notices...temporary issues, try again later messages. I'm concerned because these sections had NO data in the email and password fields. Is this lack of login data going to present an issue when I'm able to login again? Might I have to "create" an account again? Frustration abounds...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This verbiage is wrong and makes me nervous... shouldn't it be Lifetime Platinum Elite: 500 Qualifying Nights + 1,600,000 Points?

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite

ii. Legacy Programs Lifetime Elite Status Criteria: In addition to earning Lifetime Elite Status on the above criteria, through December 31, 2018, Members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under their Legacy Program requirements listed below.

A. Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Legacy Lifetime Elite Status Achievement Criteria:

• Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 Qualifying Nights + 1,200,000 Points
  • Lifetime Gold Elite: 500 Qualifying Nights + 1,600,000 Points
  • *Lifetime Platinum Elite: 750 Nights + 2,000,000 Points
* Members who achieve Lifetime Platinum Elite Status under the Marriott Rewards legacy requirements by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite Status.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Ok. So I know I screwed up, but I'm not sure it makes any difference anyway. I was trying to ensure the email addresses on my DH's Marriott and linked Starwood accounts were the same ("his" MR account has "my" email address on it, and my account has his; we use "his" account for all our travels, but I make all the arrangements and store all the emails related to each trip). Anyway, I had both sites open, to check this out, intending to use the Marriott.com to combine the accounts so he would retain his MARRIOTT account number (we are so accustomed to Marriott; never used the SPG site. But apparently I inadvertently closed the Marriott.com tab and proceeded with the SPG page. So now he appears to have a new member number and all the peripheral makings on the website are SPG oriented. Argh.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to "fix" this? I assume we are just stuck now. And does it really make any difference? I think not, but I'm still frustrated that I messed up something so easy...

Also, as I was about to update the Personal Info and Change Password sections of his profile, I got error notices...temporary issues, try again later messages. I'm concerned because these sections had NO data in the email and password fields. Is this lack of login data going to present an issue when I'm able to login again? Might I have to "create" an account again? Frustration abounds...

I'd say get accustomed to your new number. With everything else that is going on with the loyalty program merger, I doubt this issue is going to rise to the top of issues to be addressed. You haven't lost anything and in all likelihood we'll all be on the same site beginning sometime in 2019.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Thanks for this. I just submitted my request.

So, I got a response from Marriott saying that the referenced article posted by Steven is false, month long blackout is still in effect, and no points will be refunded. I double-checked the article and several comments have been posted by others who got the same response I did. Not happy.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I found it on my Marriott App last evening. It shows my status and right beneath Platinum Elite you can click on "benefits".

It also shows "Your lifetime statistics". It says "Nights - 578" and "Years as Platinum - 9".

I've only had 2 years as platinum and the rest as Gold. They must be granting me platinum years for my MVC ownership.

I have "Years as Platinum - 7" but have never been Platinum. I have been in the destination program for 7 years so your guess appears correct.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
The legacy rules were 750+ nights and 2,000,000 points for LTP. We have until the end of 2018 to get to LTP under the legacy rules, i.e., old system.

LTG was 500 nights and 1,600,000 points in the legacy system.

This verbiage is wrong and makes me nervous... shouldn't it be Lifetime Platinum Elite: 500 Qualifying Nights + 1,600,000 Points?

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite

ii. Legacy Programs Lifetime Elite Status Criteria: In addition to earning Lifetime Elite Status on the above criteria, through December 31, 2018, Members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under their Legacy Program requirements listed below.

A. Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Legacy Lifetime Elite Status Achievement Criteria:

• Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 Qualifying Nights + 1,200,000 Points
  • Lifetime Gold Elite: 500 Qualifying Nights + 1,600,000 Points
  • *Lifetime Platinum Elite: 750 Nights + 2,000,000 Points
* Members who achieve Lifetime Platinum Elite Status under the Marriott Rewards legacy requirements by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite Status.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The legacy rules were 750+ nights and 2,000,000 points for LTP. We have until the end of 2018 to get to LTP under the legacy rules, i.e., old system.

LTG was 500 nights and 1,600,000 points in the legacy system.
... but they translate to
old LTS = new LTG
old LTG = new LTP
old LTP = LTPP

deadline of gaining the new status is by Dec 31st, 2018.

The issue is that the benefits that I posted which are copied from their current site shows old status, and not the new/future status.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have "Years as Platinum - 7" but have never been Platinum. I have been in the destination program for 7 years so your guess appears correct.
Were you Platinum because of your ownership status in MVC DC program?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
So, I got a response from Marriott saying that the referenced article posted by Steven is false, month long blackout is still in effect, and no points will be refunded. I double-checked the article and several comments have been posted by others who got the same response I did. Not happy.
Here was my response to the TP refund on category 6 and 8 packages I redeemed points for.....

"On your account activity, you will see a point adjustment on your account to compensate for the category change. These points are not available to use on alternate reservations, they are strictly for adjustment purposes. Your reservation will be adjusted prior to your arrival."

Any guess what the heck that even means???

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have Select status with MVC so I received gold in the past.
Same as us, so you will be platinum now. But are you showing as LT platinum?

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
VacationForever, I think I see what you are concerned about. I believe in their benefits they are saying that from August 18, 2018 going forward members have the opportunity to earn LT status under the new status rules which are:

4.2.f. Lifetime Elite Status Criteria. In 2018, Members can earn Lifetime Elite Status one of two ways:

i. Loyalty Program Lifetime Elite Status Criteria:

• Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 Qualifying Nights + 5 Years as Silver Elite, Gold Elite or Platinum Elite
  • Lifetime Gold Elite: 400 Qualifying Nights + 7 Years as Gold Elite or Platinum Elite
  • Lifetime Platinum Elite: 600 Qualifying Nights + 10 Years as Platinum Elite
  • Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite*: 750 Qualifying Nights + 10 Years as Platinum Elite
* Achievement of Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite Status is only available until December 31, 2018 and will not be continued thereafter. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.

Based on the above criteria, they are saying that members can earn lifetime status in 2018 (and they make it sound like only in 2018) but I really believe by the above they mean from 18 August 2018 going forward. Those are the new rules to make LT status, regardless of what year it is. I think they are trying to indicate that not only can you earn lifetime status under the legacy system but you can also earn it under the new system as noted in the above. In other words, people shouldn't panic if they can't meet the requirements of the legacy system by the end of the year because they can still achieve LT status by meeting the rules of the new system by the end of the year and going forward whenever they meet the requirements.

Whatever your status was determined to be on 18 August 2018, i.e., LTS=LTG, LTG=LTP still stands. Then a member will build from there based on the above criteria. For example, a member was determined to be LTG at the merge point - which means at the merge point they had at a minimum 400 qualifying nights + 7 years as Gold Elite or Platinum Elite under the new system (or they had met the nights and points requirements under legacy). They would be able to build from that point on in the new system to get to the next level of LTP which is 600 qualifying nights + 10 years as Platinum Elite - not just this year but every year until they get there. If they happened to meet the requirements before 31 December 2018 for LTP, then they would be LTP at the end of the year. Otherwise, they will still be LTG until they meet the requirements for LTP in the new system from this point going forward. Points play no part in the new system.

In my case, I was LTG at the merge under the new system. I was 1 year shy of meeting the requirements for LTP under the new system (or so I thought). When I merged my Starwood and Marriott accounts I received credit for 1 year at Platinum with Starwood and that pushed me to 10 years which got me to LTP and ultimately to be grandfathered to LTPP at the end of the year.

We still have until the end of 31 December 2018 to make LT status in the legacy system which involves points.

I hope this makes sense.

... but they translate to
old LTS = new LTG
old LTG = new LTP
old LTP = LTPP

deadline of gaining the new status is by Dec 31st, 2018.

The issue is that the benefits that I posted which are copied from their current site shows old status, and not the new/future status.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Just checked Flyertalk and the same message that was in the article Steven posted the link to also appears to be posted there by both a Marriott Rep and a Starwood Rep. So, I called Marriott to discuss. After about 15 minutes, I got a supervisor who initially told me it must be bad info. So, I walked him through locating the Flyertalk post on his computer so he could read it for himself. Since the Marriott and Starwood profiles that posted this info are longtime corporate posters, he put me on hold while he escalated it for further research.

After another 5 minutes, he came back on the line and confirmed the offer is real. Each travel package that is downgraded will result in 30k MRPs being returned to the member's account. He told me this cannot be exercised over the phone and requires a written request using the instructions contained in the online flyertalk posts. He gave some additional info to include in the request. I resubmitted my request. If successful, I will post the additional instructions. (No point posting until I know it will work).

The main news is Marriott acknowledged the offer is legit. 30k points back per package is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you have several packages at (6/8/Tier 1-3) that you do not need and can downgrade them 1 level.

winegarden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Mirage (Diamond points)
Westin Kierland Villas
Not sure if this has been posted, yet, but this email came from Vistana today (Feel free to move it if more appropriate elsewhere):

Dear Owner,

As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN), Owners receive Elite status in the Starwood Preferred Guest® program and access to an award-winning global portfolio of hotels and resorts, unique experiences and rich redemption possibilities.

On August 18, Marriott International combined its loyalty brands: Marriott Rewards®, SPG®, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® have come together as one powerful program. Individual program names stay the same until 2019, but everything else has now been consolidated.

On behalf of your Owner Services team, I want to take this opportunity to share what these exciting changes mean for you.

How does this affect Owners?

• To align point balances across all loyalty brands, Marriott multiplied your Starpoints®balance by 3 in a one-time adjustment to new loyalty points.
• When converting your ownership to loyalty points, your conversion values have been adjusted to reflect the new 1:3 change.
• Owners retain their existing SPG preferred status recognition as a Gold Elite or Platinum Elite member in the combined program with loyalty benefits remaining largely intact.
• For the first time ever, Owners will now earn credit on their ownership stays toward higher membership tiers in the new loyalty program (Platinum Elite, Lifetime, etc.).
• The ability to convert a weeks or points vacation product into loyalty points, along with the applicable rules, remain the same.

Program highlights

• Earn and redeem points seamlessly through your stays at 6,500 hotels across 29 brands with no blackout dates. Ever.
• Enjoy a simplified experience of one loyalty account, profile, login and points balance.
• Members earn 10 points for every dollar spent at all brands except for Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites® and Element℠, which are five points per every dollar spent.
• Access more airline partners than ever before and transfer points to frequent-flyer miles with the new ratio of three points for one mile.

Thank you for your continued loyalty. For a complete list of Owner FAQs, visit vistana.com. For more information, visit members.marriott.com. If you have any additional questions, please contact Owner Services at 800-847-8262.

Regards,
rsDbmOQTcSjrNu_5YX8N2pGiGrCrEGKTnVQAcmN3FqAb_Uosy06PyY55V2HMkYAmrNv9zj3iQDLwR-ionSQLZPvro_UOi4fi_7EW0viA-T9bt8RFohhfF6hBQtz6-dHHJ3ewB33Xy20ak1Ol=s0-d-e1-ft

Suzanne Clark
Vice President
Owner Services

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Me too. I have never made platinum on my own, this was from DC ownership and that corresponding ownership level, I show 7 years as Platinum Elite or higher, all from MVCI, 18 years as Silver or higher. This being the case, in 3 years, that means I will make the 10 years needed for lifetime Platinum Elite. I only have 452 nights, so, a ways to go, but, since MVCI stays count, combined with real hotel stays and credit card "earned" nights, I might make 600 in 3 years. Since I'll certainly own my MVCI stuff for at least those 3 years, I should be able to earn Lifetime Platinum so even if I end up getting out at some point (not in the plans), I'll still have the level. Though, one level lower than the current Premier Elite. All in all, seems like nothing was lost for me at least in the new scheme, other than some devaluation of travel packages.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I show as 11 years as platinum. THey must be including all Marriott DC ownership years in there even though MVCI didn't start providing this benefit right away when they rolled out DC. I don't really know. I certainly have not had platinum status for 11 different years. Still 110 nights short of LT platinum even though it seems they are showing me with enough years.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I show as 11 years as platinum. THey must be including all Marriott DC ownership years in there even though MVCI didn't start providing this benefit right away when they rolled out DC. I don't really know. I certainly have not had platinum status for 11 different years. Still 110 nights short of LT platinum even though it seems they are showing me with enough years.

It does appear that way, agreed. Not sure where my silver years came from, maybe ownership, maybe old MR Visa, not sure what level the real old one was.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It does appear that way, agreed. Not sure where my silver years came from, maybe ownership, maybe old MR Visa, not sure what level the real old one was.
I show 18 or so years as Silver, I suspect all of that is from the credit card.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Not sure if this has been posted, yet, but this email came from Vistana today (Feel free to move it if more appropriate elsewhere):

Dear Owner,

As a benefit of membership within the Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN), Owners receive Elite status in the Starwood Preferred Guest® program and access to an award-winning global portfolio of hotels and resorts, unique experiences and rich redemption possibilities.

On August 18, Marriott International combined its loyalty brands: Marriott Rewards®, SPG®, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® have come together as one powerful program. Individual program names stay the same until 2019, but everything else has now been consolidated.

On behalf of your Owner Services team, I want to take this opportunity to share what these exciting changes mean for you.

How does this affect Owners?

• To align point balances across all loyalty brands, Marriott multiplied your Starpoints®balance by 3 in a one-time adjustment to new loyalty points.
• When converting your ownership to loyalty points, your conversion values have been adjusted to reflect the new 1:3 change.
• Owners retain their existing SPG preferred status recognition as a Gold Elite or Platinum Elite member in the combined program with loyalty benefits remaining largely intact.
• For the first time ever, Owners will now earn credit on their ownership stays toward higher membership tiers in the new loyalty program (Platinum Elite, Lifetime, etc.).
• The ability to convert a weeks or points vacation product into loyalty points, along with the applicable rules, remain the same.

Program highlights

• Earn and redeem points seamlessly through your stays at 6,500 hotels across 29 brands with no blackout dates. Ever.
• Enjoy a simplified experience of one loyalty account, profile, login and points balance.
• Members earn 10 points for every dollar spent at all brands except for Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites® and Element℠, which are five points per every dollar spent.
• Access more airline partners than ever before and transfer points to frequent-flyer miles with the new ratio of three points for one mile.

Thank you for your continued loyalty. For a complete list of Owner FAQs, visit vistana.com. For more information, visit members.marriott.com. If you have any additional questions, please contact Owner Services at 800-847-8262.

Regards,
rsDbmOQTcSjrNu_5YX8N2pGiGrCrEGKTnVQAcmN3FqAb_Uosy06PyY55V2HMkYAmrNv9zj3iQDLwR-ionSQLZPvro_UOi4fi_7EW0viA-T9bt8RFohhfF6hBQtz6-dHHJ3ewB33Xy20ak1Ol=s0-d-e1-ft

Suzanne Clark
Vice President
Owner Services

I received the email as well. This is great news if one owns both MVC and Vistana properties. I was always disappointed that SPG didn’t award nights stayed for their timeshare units. This is one example of Marriott adding value by applying one of their policies to SPG members who also own Vistana units, which should be a lot of people.

Best regards.

Mike

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same as us, so you will be platinum now. But are you showing as LT platinum?

I don't have LT Platinum because of the number of nights. I only have 385 nights which puts me at Silver. I'll get LT Gold by next year.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe Marriott has a lot of work to do. I am lifetime platinum premier and show as platinum with ambassador. I need some help with a reservation and called. The CSR told me you are not ambassador you need to hit a dollar amount of 2 million. I told her that was not realistic and she needed to go back and figure out the correct dollar amount of 20,000.

I believe it will take a while to educate their staff and work out the kinks. Currently the platinum premier line hold times are terrible and web site gives an error when making reservations.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm only guessing, but my guess would be yes. If you are close to a LT status level, this might put you over the top. I'd take the gamble if I were close to reaching a higher status level.
Your window for opening new cards before the new AmEx-Chase credit card restrictions go into effect is only through August 25th. From what I have read, the rules of the game (who will be allowed to open a new credit card account) change on August 26.

I just called Amex and was approved for this card. I was told that I do qualify for the 75K bonus points even though I already have an Amex Premier Rewards card and the new Marriott Chase card. She said that I would not have qualified if I had waited until 8/26.18 to apply, due to my Marriott Chase card.

FYI - Yes, I am about 30K points away from Marriott LT Gold (under the old rules) and this should lock me in to LT Platinum under the new system.
But, based on the fact that they retroed in my MVC ownership years, it appears that I am now only 1 Platinum Elite year away from LT Platinum in the new system anyway.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just checked Flyertalk and the same message that was in the article Steven posted the link to also appears to be posted there by both a Marriott Rep and a Starwood Rep. So, I called Marriott to discuss. After about 15 minutes, I got a supervisor who initially told me it must be bad info. So, I walked him through locating the Flyertalk post on his computer so he could read it for himself. Since the Marriott and Starwood profiles that posted this info are longtime corporate posters, he put me on hold while he escalated it for further research.

After another 5 minutes, he came back on the line and confirmed the offer is real. Each travel package that is downgraded will result in 30k MRPs being returned to the member's account. He told me this cannot be exercised over the phone and requires a written request using the instructions contained in the online flyertalk posts. He gave some additional info to include in the request. I resubmitted my request. If successful, I will post the additional instructions. (No point posting until I know it will work).

The main news is Marriott acknowledged the offer is legit. 30k points back per package is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you have several packages at (6/8/Tier 1-3) that you do not need and can downgrade them 1 level.

I hate being wrong. Here's an official posting by Marriott on their Insiders website.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/blogs/exclusive-news/2018/08/20/travel-packages-update