• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official changes to Marriott Rewards program effective 8/18/18

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This TUG board's been understandably overrun with MR-related threads following the announcement several months ago that big changes were coming. Now that the official dates/terms of the changes have come, it's time to try to bring some semblance of order here.

PLEASE try to use this thread to consolidate all of the info in as useful a manner as possible. As it develops it will be either sticky-ed as is, or if it gets cumbersome, as the basis to compose a concise sticky. THANK YOU for your help. :)

This self-explanatory thread will remain open: Post-8/18/18 Marriott Rewards changes / Website and App mistakes and glitches

These linked threads will now be locked:
- Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]
- New Marriott Rewards Property Categories and Travel Package Requirements effective Aug '18
- Marriott Rewards: "Take Action On Your Travel Certificate" letter & LONG phone waits (+disconnects)
- I need 200K MR points [Lifetime MR status - MERGED]
- leaked Marriott Starwood terms and conditions

- New travel packages state 110,000 miles

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And...the results appear to be in. Old certificates will be honored and converted and now we just have to wait to see what issues arise when people attempt to book (or cancel and rebook) using the old certs. In particular, the $64,000 question is "Will Marriott allow them to be extended for a year (or two) as they have in the past?"

Attachments

• Marriott old new chart.jpeg
    Marriott old new chart.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed on Marriott's website the following:

Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite members enjoy complimentary United MileagePlus Premier® Silver Status.

I logged in to United but no status yet (not that I actually expected to see status already).

Since Newark is United's hub (and we are from NJ), this would be a major benefit for us. We are Select in MVC which I believe gets me to Platinum Elite.

I had Gold or Silver with United for over 15 years before losing it the last couple of years. I enjoyed many first class upgrades (for US flights), premium seats in economy, and better award availability. If this benefit sticks, this alone would make the program changes a major upgrade from my point of view. It could also be a selling point to become Select with MVC. I look back to when I was deciding whether to join the Destination Club and can say that I am very happy with that decision.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
This came through this morning, from our Head for Points Guy in UK

At 7.15pm last night, Marriott Rewards finally disclosed via a Flyertalk post what will happen to Travel Packages which have been bought but not redeemed.

They will be mapped across like this.
For bookings made before January:
  • Cat 1-5 can book a new Cat 1-4
  • Cat 6 can book a new Cat 1-4
  • Cat 7 can book a new Cat 5
  • Cat 8 can book a new Cat 5
  • Cat 9 can book a new Cat 6
  • Tier 1-3 can book a new Cat 6
  • Tier 4-5 can book a new Cat 7
For bookings made after peak and off-peak pricing is launched in January:
  • Cat 1-5 can book anything up to 30,000 points
  • Cat 6 can book anything up to 30,000 points
  • Cat 7 can book anything up to 40,000 points
  • Cat 8 can book anything up to 40,000 points
  • Cat 9 can book anything up to 60,000 points
  • Tier 1-3 can book anything up to 60,000 points
  • Tier 4-5 can book anything up to 70,000 points
Let’s be clear about one thing. No-one loses here. In each case, you can book an equivalent or higher value property than you could previously book. For example, at present a Cat 9 is a 45,000 point hotel and you can book anything up to 60,000 points from January.

However, some people have clearly spent more than necessary. Anyone who has a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 Travel Package could have bought a cheaper package one level lower and still been able to book the same hotels.

It is also worth noting that, because of the caps, from January it doesn’t matter what certificate you currently hold – no-one can book a standard or peak date Cat 8 hotel. Both of these are more than 70,000 points. You could get a Cat 8 on an off-peak date which would be 70,000 points. Check out the new reward chart:

Marriott-new-category-pricing.png

I am surprised that Marriott did this. Clearly some of its higher value members will now feel a little annoyed, even though they are no worse off. That’s human nature.

If, in the last few days, you upgraded a Cat 1-5 to a Cat 6, or a Cat 7 to a Cat 8, or a Cat 9 to a Tier 1-3, I would certainly be sending Marriott a note to ask for a refund given that you have literally wasted those points.

The real question is why Marriott Rewards could not have released this information earlier, as it is now too late. This is especially true given that you can no longer upgrade any certificate you currently have in the bank.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who would we write to. We had such an issue with our one Category 8 certificate, it took days and then over 6 hours on Friday to get the points in order. We had another Category 8 sitting, but were afraid to do anything with it until the first situation was resolved. Would we simply call the Platinum line and complain or is there an e-mail we can use to express our discontent.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite members enjoy complimentary United MileagePlus Premier® Silver Status.

United silver was a benefit before the changes. For platinum. You had to sign up on a special page with United that appears down right now.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
This came through this morning, from our Head for Points Guy in UK

At 7.15pm last night, Marriott Rewards finally disclosed via a Flyertalk post what will happen to Travel Packages which have been bought but not redeemed.

They will be mapped across like this.
For bookings made before January:
  • Cat 1-5 can book a new Cat 1-4
  • Cat 6 can book a new Cat 1-4
  • Cat 7 can book a new Cat 5
  • Cat 8 can book a new Cat 5
  • Cat 9 can book a new Cat 6
  • Tier 1-3 can book a new Cat 6
  • Tier 4-5 can book a new Cat 7
For bookings made after peak and off-peak pricing is launched in January:
  • Cat 1-5 can book anything up to 30,000 points
  • Cat 6 can book anything up to 30,000 points
  • Cat 7 can book anything up to 40,000 points
  • Cat 8 can book anything up to 40,000 points
  • Cat 9 can book anything up to 60,000 points
  • Tier 1-3 can book anything up to 60,000 points
  • Tier 4-5 can book anything up to 70,000 points
Let’s be clear about one thing. No-one loses here. In each case, you can book an equivalent or higher value property than you could previously book. For example, at present a Cat 9 is a 45,000 point hotel and you can book anything up to 60,000 points from January.

However, some people have clearly spent more than necessary. Anyone who has a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 Travel Package could have bought a cheaper package one level lower and still been able to book the same hotels.

It is also worth noting that, because of the caps, from January it doesn’t matter what certificate you currently hold – no-one can book a standard or peak date Cat 8 hotel. Both of these are more than 70,000 points. You could get a Cat 8 on an off-peak date which would be 70,000 points. Check out the new reward chart:

Marriott-new-category-pricing.png

I am surprised that Marriott did this. Clearly some of its higher value members will now feel a little annoyed, even though they are no worse off. That’s human nature.

If, in the last few days, you upgraded a Cat 1-5 to a Cat 6, or a Cat 7 to a Cat 8, or a Cat 9 to a Tier 1-3, I would certainly be sending Marriott a note to ask for a refund given that you have literally wasted those points.

The real question is why Marriott Rewards could not have released this information earlier, as it is now too late. This is especially true given that you can no longer upgrade any certificate you currently have in the bank.

If anyone does complain and has success please let us know, I'll give it a shot. I just upgraded 2 cat 5 certs to cat 6 gambling that they would map over new cat 5. But, I knew it was a gamble. I took a shot, and I lost, so i don't really feel like I have much of a complaint. But I won't be stubborn about it. If they are willingly reimbursing points, I will accept them.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 293635EF-4B00-4C44-8D34-2502CDF9894D.png
    293635EF-4B00-4C44-8D34-2502CDF9894D.png
    118 KB · Views: 209
Last edited by a moderator:

SteveS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVN (retro/resale upgrades): Lakeside Terrace, Harborside, Sheraton Flex; Disney Vacation Club (resale and direct): Bay Lake Towers, Riviera
United silver was a benefit before the changes. For platinum. You had to sign up on a special page with United that appears down right now.

I'm in the same situation as NJDave , also from NJ. Do you have the url handy so we can try later..

Just found it : https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/
It says to try again after 8/22.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I can't find it right now (prob in one of the locked threads) but I know I read a new post today stating that we cannot change or modify an existing unattached certificate. I hope this is not true. I haven't read this before today. Hopefully the poster meant for the next month they are locked and can't be changed. I will need to upgrade two old cat 6 certs to new cat 5. I hope this is still possible, even if not until Sep 18.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The thing is that now, it is open to a much higher percentage of MVCI owners. All Select owners and above are now platinum and have this benefit now where before they were only Gold.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing is that now, it is open to a much higher percentage of MVCI owners. All Select owners and above are now platinum and have this benefit now where before they were only Gold.
Is this official, select and executive get platinum, presential and chairman's club get platinum premier?

Last edited:

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's exactly my situation. I didn't realize that this was a perk until I clicked on "Platinum Elite Benefits" under my profile. I have a flight coming up in two weeks on a flight that is half empty. I would love to get status before then and perhaps get upgraded (I would at least get extra leg room if I don't get first class).

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Is this official, select and owners get platinum, presential and chairman's club get platinum premier?
I believe its Select and Executive that get platinum.....not Owners.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I can't find it right now (prob in one of the locked threads) but I know I read a new post today stating that we cannot change or modify an existing unattached certificate. I hope this is not true. I haven't read this before today. Hopefully the poster meant for the next month they are locked and can't be changed. I will need to upgrade two old cat 6 certs to new cat 5. I hope this is still possible, even if not until Sep 18.

Marriott sent emails to each Travel Package holder indicating no changes may be made from August 18 through September 18. After September 18 changes can be made.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you are lifetime Plat Premier if you need to qualify with 50 nights for your first 5 suite upgrades and then again with 75 nights for your second 5 night suite upgrades. I thought if you are a lifetime then you don't need to continue to qualify. I can't find the answer to this anywhere.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you are lifetime Plat Premier if you need to qualify with 50 nights for your first 5 suite upgrades and then again with 75 nights for your second 5 night suite upgrades. I thought if you are a lifetime then you don't need to continue to qualify. I can't find the answer to this anywhere.

From what I read, you do need to qualify, i.e., earn your 50 and 75 nights per year to get the suite awards. The benefit you get is extra 25% bonus. Otherwise you will get those suite night awards for the rest of your life, which does not make financial sense for Marriott.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza

So is this something we can now sign up to or no longer?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I logged in to United but no status yet (not that I actually expected to see status already).

Since Newark is United's hub (and we are from NJ), this would be a major benefit for us. We are Select in MVC which I believe gets me to Platinum Elite.

I had Gold or Silver with United for over 15 years before losing it the last couple of years. I enjoyed many first class upgrades (for US flights), premium seats in economy, and better award availability. If this benefit sticks, this alone would make the program changes a major upgrade from my point of view. It could also be a selling point to become Select with MVC. I look back to when I was deciding whether to join the Destination Club and can say that I am very happy with that decision.

From https://mrrewardsplus.com/FAQ.html

• Complimentary Premier Silver status in MileagePlus (open to Platinum Premier Elite members and above, registration required)
  • 10% MileagePlus miles bonus when converting points into MileagePlus miles (open to all members, registration not required), plus a 5,000 miles bonus (automatically converted from a 15,000 points bonus) for every 60,000 Loyalty Program points converted.
  • 10% more MileagePlus miles when redeeming points for RewardPlus Travel Packages (open to all members, registration not required)

Eligible Marriott Rewards members can register for complimentary MileagePlus Silver status at marriottrewards.com/rewardsplus.

Eligible MileagePlus members can register for complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status at united.com/rewardsplus.

Am I missing something? I don't see that Platinum Elite qualify for Premier Silver.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Marriott sent emails to each Travel Package holder indicating no changes may be made from August 18 through September 18. After September 18 changes can be made.

It's in the third linked thread in Post #1 above, "Marriott Rewards: Take Action ..." (read down to post #20 and beyond.)