• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big thanks to Marriott from a loyal SPG member for allowing qualification into Lifetime Premier Platinum. Got my 10th year of SPG Platinum status earlier this month with over 800 nights. I’m hoping the MVC acquisition of ILG and Vistana also has some good perks to current owners (both resale and developer purchases)

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
MauiLover, I wanted to let you know that I have run into the same situation. When I initially tried to call and have 270K points moved from my mom's account to mine they said the system was down and they could only move 50K and they didn't attach them to a reservation. I called back the next day and even though the system was still down the CSR was able to "trick" her computer (I have no idea how) and moved 185K to complete a reservation. In all my maneuvering of points I forgot about the 31K points I previously bought and they had posted to my account by the time I went to have the CSR move points from my mom's account to my mine. So, they couldn't move the remaining 35K points. Grrrrr.....

But, that was ok or so I thought. Today I moved 50K points from my husband's account to mine and then asked the CSR what my LT points balance was - I was 64K short!! Huh? It took me by surprise and I didn't want to make too much of a fuss since I'm maneuvering points to try and get to LTP before the 18th. I had moved more than enough points by that time and it should have moved my balance to 1.6K million. I didn't have any more time to devote to it at the time so I spent the entire afternoon mulling over what the heck could have happened. Couldn't even really enjoy my massage because my mind was intent on figuring it out. LoL

I did the math backwards and sure enough, they counted the 185K from my mom's account and the 31K that I purchased but did not count the 50K from my mom's account or the 50K from my husband's account - neither of those points were attached to a reservation because I didn't think there would be an issue in just moving them over since we're allowed to do that in the normal rules. Definitely not true. The issue I believe lies in the absolute necessity to tie any moved points over to a reservation and not only do they have to be tied to a reservation, they have to complete the reservation; i.e. meaning your wife's 134K points had to actually complete a reservation independent of your purchasing the final 16K points to complete the reservation. At least I think that's what you were planning on doing but I might have misunderstood your intent on purchasing the 16K points to complete the reservation.

If your wife's 134K points did, in fact, complete the reservation without needing you to purchase 16K to complete it then the only thing I can think of in both of our cases is that the first 50K of points transferred from member to member do not count towards LT status. If that's the case, then I am definitely not going to get to LTG before the 18th which would have made me LTP in the new system. I wanted to get to LTP by then so that I could then work towards LTPP by the end of the year. There is no LTPP in the new system. So, worse case scenario is I work towards getting the points I need into my account by the end of the year in order to get to LTP. Not a bad place to be in and hopefully I should be able to maneuver enough to get there.

Totally frustrated though that there is a lack of clarity by CSR's as to what points count towards LT status and what do not.

So, I had been told by multiple people that this works for lifetime points. I was 150,000 points shy of making Lifetime Gold (Platinum in new program) and was trying to make it before the mid-August merger date. I had my wife transfer 134,000 points to my account to complete a reservation with the plan to purchase the other 16,000. She did it, but they only credited 84,000 points to my lifetime points balance. That doesn't even make any sense. If they were not going to let the full 134,000 count you would think they would only credit the 50,000. WTH? Now, I'm 66,000 points short and can't even purchase that many to finish up. I called and talked to a "supervisor" who tried to tell me that points transferred for reservations don't count at all toward lifetime, and then he could not explain why the 84,000 had been added to my lifetime but not the 50,000. He obviously was not interested in helping me so I just gave up. I am not a happy camper right now.
So, I had been told by multiple people that this works for lifetime points. I was 150,000 points shy of making Lifetime Gold (Platinum in new program) and was trying to make it before the mid-August merger date. I had my wife transfer 134,000 points to my account to complete a reservation with the plan to purchase the other 16,000. She did it, but they only credited 84,000 points to my lifetime points balance. That doesn't even make any sense. If they were not going to let the full 134,000 count you would think they would only credit the 50,000. WTH? Now, I'm 66,000 points short and can't even purchase that many to finish up. I called and talked to a "supervisor" who tried to tell me that points transferred for reservations don't count at all toward lifetime, and then he could not explain why the 84,000 had been added to my lifetime but not the 50,000. He obviously was not interested in helping me so I just gave up. I am not a happy camper right now.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
For those of you MVC "elites" here is a leaked copy of Marriotts T&C's as it pertains to MVC ownership.
  1. 7. MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB®, MARRIOTT GRAND RESIDENCE CLUB® AND VISTANA SIGNATURE EXPERIENCES
  2. 7.1 Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club
  3. 7.1.a Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club owners eligible to participate in the Loyalty Program through ownership of a Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interest (collectively, “MVC Owners”) are subject to the Program Rules, and to any additional rules and regulations promulgated by Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. and/or Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc. d/b/a MVC Exchange Company or their respective affiliates or subsidiaries (each an “MVC Entity”), as such rules and regulations may be modified from time to time (collectively, “MVC Rules”). 7.1.b MVC Owners who receive Loyalty Program Elite upgrades as part of their owner benefits are subject to the Program Rules, as may be modified from time to time pursuant to section 1.7.c, and to the MVC Rules, including without limitation the following:

i. MVC Owners who achieve a “Select” or “Executive” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange Program (“MVC Exchange Program”), and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Elite status, and are not subject to the Platinum Elite Minimum Requirement to maintain Platinum Elite status every year. MVC Owners who achieve a “Presidential” or “Chairman’s Club” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the MVC Exchange Program, and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Premier Elite status, and are not subject to the Platinum Premier Elite Minimum Requirement to maintain Platinum Premier Elite status every year.

ii. An MVC Owner will remain his or her Elite status, provided that such MVC Owner: (i) maintains his/her membership level through ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests or enrollment in the MVC Exchange Program; (ii) is current in all maintenance fees, MVC Exchange Company dues, fees, taxes, and other payments; and (iii) is current in any other payments owed to any MVC Entity. iii. Elite status and any accumulated Points in an MVC Owner’s Loyalty Program Membership Account do not transfer upon sale of their timeshare interest to a third party. 7.1.c Due to the nature of Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties, the following special conditions apply to their participation in the Loyalty Program: i. Members will earn Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties, and for stays at Participating Properties as part of the MVC Exchange Program (e.g. City Explorer). ii. Members will earn Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties. iii. Members do not receive the following benefits (as defined in Section 4) at Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club properties: Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades, late checkout, Suite Night Awards, Guaranteed Room Type, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, or Your24. iv. Free Night Awards at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties must be booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival. Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties either do not participate or do not fully participate in the “No Blackout Dates” benefit at this time. v. Instant Redemption Awards are not available at Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club properties. vi. Points acquired through ownership of an interest at a Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club property may not be used to request an Award Redemption Stay reservation at a Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club or Vistana Signature Experiences property.

If this "leaked" info is true that would be fantastic.

I called Owner Services about this as recently as 2 days ago and nobody knew to say anything about this.

I was also getting Marriott Gold by being Gold on United, but my understanding is that getting status via that option will remain at Gold, and not become Platinum.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this "leaked" info is true that would be fantastic.

I called Owner Services about this as recently as 2 days ago and nobody knew to say anything about this.

I was also getting Marriott Gold by being Gold on United, but my understanding is that getting status via that option will remain at Gold, and not become Platinum.
If I understand correctly, the following (from disclosure in red) means Select and Executive level Destination Club members will now be Platinum Elite in the new Marriott systems? But, what does the condition "may" mean ???

i. MVC Owners who achieve a “Select” or “Executive” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange Program (“MVC Exchange Program”), and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Elite status ...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If I understand correctly, the following (from disclosure in red) means Select and Executive level Destination Club members will now be Platinum Elite in the new Marriott systems? But, what does the condition "may" mean ???

i. MVC Owners who achieve a “Select” or “Executive” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange Program (“MVC Exchange Program”), and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Elite status ...
It means they can take it away at any time based on the T&C in the MVC DC program.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This may be a dumb question. What is the exchange program?
It is the exchange company that facilitates DC reservations for legacy week owners as well as for Trust Point owners in many cases. It is just an exchange company like II or RCI, only using points instead of weeks.

rovitm

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is the exchange company that facilitates DC reservations for legacy week owners as well as for Trust Point owners in many cases. It is just an exchange company like II or RCI, only using points instead of weeks.

Does this mean anyone enrolled can be eligible for platinum?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does this mean anyone enrolled can be eligible for platinum?
Yes those with Enrolled weeks that are, if they are Select or Executive members would have Platinum Elite status in the MR program. This in fact is HUGE. With just 4000 DC points, you can have Platinum Elite status. That is pretty good for a huge percentage of enrolled legacy week owners.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Yes those with Enrolled weeks that are, if they are Select or Executive members would have Platinum Elite status in the MR program. This in fact is HUGE. With just 4000 DC points, you can have Platinum Elite status. That is pretty good for a huge percentage of enrolled legacy week owners.

I'll believe it when I see it - the 18th is approaching fast!

Maybe no more mattress runs... ever.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Anybody remember what we're supposed to do on our accounts after all the system changes on the 18th? Hope after systems come back up, they'll send out a mass emailing telling us how to do the last account consolidation step(s).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Anybody remember what we're supposed to do on our accounts after all the system changes on the 18th? Hope after systems come back up, they'll send out a mass emailing telling us how to do the last account consolidation step(s).
No action is needed by you.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
So when do we see changes in our account? I guess we are looking for changes in levels in both MVC + Marriott websites?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Marriott is going to do the consolidation.

Early on i recall reading on the spg site I think, about SPG & Marriott account holders having to combine their accounts into one after the system change updates. On both the SPG and Marriott FAQs I see the exact same 'answer', my italics on the sentences re combining the accounts.

https://members.marriott.com/faq/

DOES LINKING MY ACCOUNTS COMBINE THEM INTO ONE ACCOUNT WITH ONE POINTS BALANCE AND ONE ELITE NIGHT CREDIT BALANCE?
No. For now your accounts are still separate: one for Rewards, one for SPG. Linking creates a connection between them to allow for status matching and points transfer until August. Starting in August, we’ll notify you when you can combine your SPG and Rewards accounts into a single account. The tiers and benefits offered will be the same and with one account and one points balance, you’ll no longer need to transfer points.

CAN I SEE MY REWARDS AND SPG INFORMATION IN ONE PLACE ONLINE OR VIA MY APP?
Until August, your Rewards and SPG account balances, Elite Night Credits and reservations will remain separate as they are today. We’ll notify you when you can combine your accounts so that you’ll have a single account with one member number, one login and one profile. In the meantime, log in to Rewards to see activity in that account; log in to SPG to see your account information there.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Marriott is going to do the consolidation.

Actually Marriott has indicated they will begin rolling out the ability for members to consolidate accounts. Due to the large number and to prevent excessive demand on their system they have indicated this rollout will continue through Monday. The loyalty program member will be able to decide which loyalty program number they wish to maintain going forward. If the member wishes to keep their current Marriott Rewards number, they will need to initiate the account consolidation process via the Marriott website with their Marriott sign-in credentials. Likewise, if the member wishes to keep their new SPG number (all SPG members will receive a new number to conform to Marriott's system), they will need to initiate the account consolidation process via the SPG website with their SPG sign-in credentials.

Members will have until December 31 to consolidate their accounts.

magicjourney

Reaction score
New status is already shown in Marriott App. It is "Platinum Premier Referral" for me. Is it created exclusively for MVC owner? :ponder:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
New status is already shown in Marriott App. It is "Platinum Premier Referral" for me. Is it created exclusively for MVC owner? :ponder:

Where do you see your status in the app? I just looked and I can't see my status anywhere.

magicjourney

Reaction score
It is down again. When it was alive, I clicked my name on the top left corner to gain access to the profile.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

I see it in the app too - changed from Gold to Platinum Elite.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
The website is creaking and straining. Sometimes I can login and sometimes it times out. I'm using my desktop PC, not a phone app.

I can see my status (Plat Premier), but I'm confused about my wife's status. For her it shows 57 nights earned this year, which I thought would make her Plat, but the website shows Gold.

I cannot find my Lifetime status anywhere yet.

To check the fate of our old SPG points, I first tried signing in at spg.com using our old SPG logins and passwords. I was given a new SPG account number for each of us. But then I could not login in with that new number at spg.com. Instead, go to https://www.marriott.com/sign-in.mi?program=spg and log in with your new SPG account number (or your email address) and your old SPG password.

Both of our Marriott points came through correctly, and both of our SPG points converted 1:3 to Marriott points correctly. They haven't been consolidated. I did see controller1's comments about points consolidation (about 5 posts back), so perhaps I'll have to perform the consolidation myself when that is possible.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Same here, everything seems to be correct as to Marriott #s and SPG #s. My and my wife's elite status have been updated. My status is Plat. Premier (this matches my Chairman's Club MVC status) however my wife's status shows Platinum which is strange as she was lifetime Gold with 524 nights. I assumed you need 600 nights for lifetime Plat. in the new system. She only has 17 night for the current year. I would have assumed she would still be Gold, but I'm not complaining if they want to assign her Plat. status! :)

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Hmmm. Mine still says Platinum Elite.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked my account. I am Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier. with ambassador thru January 2019. I don't own any Marriott timeshares, this is thru the hotel side. I am very happy! :)

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I signed out of the app as was still showing Gold Elite, I signed back in and now showing Platinum Elite. What I am confused about is that I am sure with my last purchase (direct with Marriott) we were told we would get lifetime gold, but I can't find where I would check that? Also does that mean we now have lifetime platinum elite? As saying I have 15 nights and renew at 50?

On MVC owners website, it still shows as select, does this stay as is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.