• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Two Lessons Learned

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
1. Do not come to Hawaii in July and August. Over the past 15 years we have traveled to Hawaii October through June. The June trip was to Kauai. Normally our trips are January to May. It is too Hot and Humid in July and August. Even with the Trade Winds blowing.
2. If your first week is in a Timeshare with AC and your second week is in a Timeshare whose AC is OW and Fans. Then every day of the first week turn up your AC at least 2 degrees. So you are ready for the OW/Fan AC.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
...3. If you do visit Hawaii in July or August, first spend the week prior in the southern U.S. Then when you get to Hawaii, you will be pleased with the reduction in heat and humidity. ;) :)

Seriously, even with our tolerance for heat/humidity built from over 60 years living in North Carolina, we would never consider going to a Hawaii timeshare without A/C, especially in the summer. Since your profile says you are in Salem, Oregon, I'm sure even the modest humidity in Hawaii seems like a sauna compared to your home. Come on down south sometime for some real heat and humidity. Ya'll are welcome!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I have lived in North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Never again.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously, even with our tolerance for heat/humidity built from over 60 years living in North Carolina, we would never consider going to a Hawaii timeshare without A/C, especially in the summer.

We went to the Big Island/Kauai in mid-June 2015. We were in three different units. Two units had A/C, one didn't. We only stayed for three days in the no A/C. It was miserable for sleeping.

We're headed to Maui next February. No A/C. I definitely have my concerns. I guess that I have a tolerance for heat/humidity living in southern coastal Virginia. :ponder:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
yup. Like a Sauna

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We went to the Big Island/Kauai in mid-June 2015. We were in three different units. Two units had A/C, one didn't. We only stayed for three days in the no A/C. It was miserable for sleeping.

We're headed to Maui next February. No A/C. I definitely have my concerns. I guess that I have a tolerance for heat/humidity living in southern coastal Virginia. :ponder:

p-shaw.

It will be 'chilly' for you in Maui in Feb. Only time it get's hot (we leave the doors open, so no AC most of the time) is around happy-hour when the sunshine beats on the windows facing west. Throw another Mai Tai on the fire. (so to speak).

Really, I think Feb is pretty mild....at least early Feb.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...3. If you do visit Hawaii in July or August, first spend the week prior in the southern U.S. Then when you get to Hawaii, you will be pleased with the reduction in heat and humidity. ;) :)

Seriously, even with our tolerance for heat/humidity built from over 60 years living in North Carolina, we would never consider going to a Hawaii timeshare without A/C, especially in the summer. Since your profile says you are in Salem, Oregon, I'm sure even the modest humidity in Hawaii seems like a sauna compared to your home. Come on down south sometime for some real heat and humidity. Ya'll are welcome!

This is so true. We lived in Houston for 22 years and our first trip to Hawaii was in July. We stayed at the Shearwater on Kauai and theBay Club on the big Island. No AC at shearwater and even though the bay club had AC there was something in the AC system that stirred up my DH allergies so we didn't use it. We had no trouble, thought the weather was great.

Now that we live in Washington State, if we don't have ac, we are miserable

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Laughing with y'all on this one. Left Atlanta last year. Relocated to California desert -- "it's a dry heat" Ha! 120 degrees is miserable. Escaped to Cabo for a couple weeks and felt their humid 90 was lovely. Of course had air conditioning everywhere.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
1. Do not come to Hawaii in July and August. Over the past 15 years we have traveled to Hawaii October through June. The June trip was to Kauai. Normally our trips are January to May.

Being retired our rule is do not come to Hawaii when kids are out of school! :)

From Baton Rouge and I'm with you! We sometimes have to be careful and not laugh when people on Maui complain about the humidity. We smile and say "come stay awhile in Baton Rouge where the humidity is high and the wind is either non-existent or a hurricane"! ;)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
The Hurricane (¿Hector?) that passed 150 miles to The south did not help. It's trailing north edge sent up a bunch of moisture to the Islands.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Being retired our rule is do not come to Hawaii when kids are out of school! :)

This ^^^. I travel to Hawaii in May and October. Come to think of it, I travel most everywhere in those months. Crowds are somewhat lower, and the weather is usually pretty good, at least in the places I go. :thumbup:

Dave

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We went to Kauai end of June and stayed at Shearwater. No air conditioning but with The tradewinds blowing, we sometimes had to wear a jacket because it was chilly at night! Guess we really lucked out.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

We go to Hawaii during the period January - April and the weather is usually just perfect with windows open and no air-conditioning. However, we usually stay on the shaded cooler side of the building. The Sun in the last morning and afternoon is very hot and if that was beating on our apartment I would say we would need air-conditioning. Being retired and with our goal of getting away from the cold in the NY winter we have no reason to go in July and August. If we did I believe that air-conditioning would be required for us.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For years we went to Hawaii (Maui first, then eventually the Big Island) during the summer because that was when our kids were out of school. We own a fixed week at Maui Hill from August 26 to September 2. We stayed at our unit on Maui a few years back, then followed it up with a week on the Big Island. It happened that year both island were experiencing more heat AND humidity than usual. Last time we'll go to Hawaii during that time. Now we stick to March when the whales are visiting.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I remember 40-50+ years ago, the hottest time of the year in Honolulu was the first couple of weeks in August. We'd get what my parents called a "kona wind" from the south in which the air was hot, humid and little/no breeze. I wasn't paying attention to weather patterns as a kid, but bet it was due to hurricanes and other storms passing south of the Big Island. Just my opinion, but I think the time of the 'kona winds' has shifted and occur more now in mid-August to mid-September.

I remember it being so hot and humid that my school friends and I would take 2-3 showers a day! And we were all relieved when our cooling tradewinds from the NE returned. My parents never owned a car with AC. Talk about hot... think about getting into a car with vinyl seats, that's been sitting in the sun for several hours! My dad occasionally took us driving with windows down to help cool off. Also went to the beach a LOT! I have AC in my car now, but as a matter of principle o_O don't turn it on except for rare occasions during Seattle's dry summers.

It takes us about 3-4 days to get acclimated to Hawaii's humidity and warmth, where we don't feel uncomfortably sticky and hot. Of course we're wearing shorts, T-shirts and flip-flop slippers the whole time :D

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Do not come to Hawaii in July and August. Over the past 15 years we have traveled to Hawaii October through June. The June trip was to Kauai. Normally our trips are January to May. It is too Hot and Humid in July and August. Even with the Trade Winds blowing.
2. If your first week is in a Timeshare with AC and your second week is in a Timeshare whose AC is OW and Fans. Then every day of the first week turn up your AC at least 2 degrees. So you are ready for the OW/Fan AC.
We spent 3 weeks on 3 islands in July, fortunately all with AC. The first week on Maui would have been miserable because it was very calm the first 5 days. I lived on HI for 5 days and not only did our Condo not have AC, our Hospital didn't for much of it. It generally wasn't a problem and I remember being cold about as much as too hot due to the winds in the condo.

This ^^^. I travel to Hawaii in May and October. Come to think of it, I travel most everywhere in those months. Crowds are somewhat lower, and the weather is usually pretty good, at least in the places I go. :thumbup:

Dave
Plus it's often cheaper and for timeshares, easier exchanging.