• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worth Paying Extra for M Club / Lounge Access if Already Plat MR

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Working to book two 5-day vacation packages, one in Paris and one in London. 2 adults and 2 kids traveling. I am currently Marriott Rewards Platinum, thus gain access to most lounges.

Most of the Paris and/or London hotels which allow 4 people...require my VP hotel certificate plus a cash per night upgrade. There are a few which have no lounge access and a few that cost a little more for lounge access or M club access included.

As a MR Platinum member now, I get access to the lounge free...while I think only for myself and 1 guest (not all 4 of us). My question is whether it's worth paying extra cash to get the 'lounge/m club'...or whether I can pay the lower cash outlay and just expect the hotel to provide me access as a Plat member? I don't want to waste extra cash/night for lounge access...if not required.

BigMac

Reaction score
The M lounge concept is a hit and miss situation. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis Queens Garden in Bangkok which has a wonderful M lounge. As Marriott Gold, I booked a basic room which got upgraded to a suite and full access to their M Club. We had our 15 year old daughter with us and there was no problem with her going with us to the Lounge. The lounge offered 3 full meals a day and free bar. Well worth paying extra if you did not have elite status.

Contrast this with the LAX Marriott. We used this hotel quite often when we had an early flight and their old concierge lounge was decent. No free drinks but they had an honor system where you could pour yourself a glass and sign a tab. The food was substantial enough that it could pass as dinner and their breakfasts were totally adequate. Not now however. We booked a night in late June and before we arrived got an e-mail from the management extolling the wonders of their new M Club. The e-mail stated that access was limited to the elite member, an additional adult and two children under 12 years. So I thought, OK one 15 year old will eat less than 2- 12's and take up less space so I ought to be able to talk them in to letting her go with us.

So when we arrived at the club floor, instead of using our room key for access there's a person standing behind a lectern. Behind her is some kind of supervisor. So we get the spiel about my daughter not being allowed unless we pay $40 a day for her access. I tried the 1 is less than 2 argument but no luck. I tried the fact that my wife was also Gold but that didn't work either. Eventually, the supervisor says OK we'll let you in now but if you want to come back for breakfast it's $40. So in we went. Had a walk around the food counter and had to check the whole place out to make sure I wasn't missing a food station. It consisted of a small cheese plate a series of cold cooked vegetables on small spoons and some nuts. For drinks, they had built a large bar with a full-time bartender and the "discounted" prices started at $9 for a glass of wine. It's pretty obvious they are trying to turn the lounge from a convenience for guests into yet another profit center. We left and will not use this hotel again. There are other Marriott options nearby which are cheaper and give free breakfasts for all guests.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
I guess it depends on where you stay. We were at the Marriott County Hall in London this past May and they were very restrictive on lounge access. Someone would ask for your name and room number and charges were made for premium drinks and food that was sent up from the restaurant. Some food in the evening was gratis as was beer and wine. You could also order from the menu and were charged accordingly.

We also stayed at the Marriott Opera House in Paris after leaving London and they didn't seem to care how many guests or family members you brought in. Food was plentiful as was alcohol. No one checking room numbers or names.