• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mountainside, might buy Gold week, have questions

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Wouldn’t let me insert more pics, here they are:

pO5LNqS.jpg

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures! That just looks incredible. How crowded were the trails?

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe Worldmark should be the thing to replace the SBP. That’s a thought. I know very little about it, time maybe to do a little reading on TUG.
Worldmark is a definite step down quality wise from your current portfolio. What it does offer, though, is a whole bunch of resorts out west in a lot of fun, out-of-the-way destinations. Since it looks like you're in to mountain biking, you'd probably be interested in the proposed resort in Moab.

I definitely respect your decision to buy at Mountainside - seems like you've approached it rationally. Park City is a great place to be in the summer - I like Park City summers better than Park City winters (the skiing's better in the Cottonwood Canyons).

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Beautiful pictures! That just looks incredible. How crowded were the trails?

Not crowded at all mid week. Mostly I felt like I had the place to myself, but I’d encounter other people regularly enough that if I got hurt someone would come along within 30-40 min.

More crowded last weekend. But that’s fine by me, from a safety perspective. And it was never packed, you mostly would come upon people more frequently but still not have anyone else in sight most of the time.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Worldmark is a definite step down quality wise from your current portfolio. What it does offer, though, is a whole bunch of resorts out west in a lot of fun, out-of-the-way destinations. Since it looks like you're in to mountain biking, you'd probably be interested in the proposed resort in Moab.

I definitely respect your decision to buy at Mountainside - seems like you've approached it rationally. Park City is a great place to be in the summer - I like Park City summers better than Park City winters (the skiing's better in the Cottonwood Canyons).

Holy gamoley. I just read the Worldmark info section on TUG. There are some swell mtb locations- Bend OR, St George UT, Whistler BC. Wow and Victoria and Vancouver. I really need to learn about Worldmark.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures from the area around Mirror Lake.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 74

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
So our offer was accepted. :)

Still some hurdles to jump before we own the thing. But the wheels are in motion...

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Well... Marriott exercised ROFR at our EOY Gold Mountainside purchase at $1500.

Seller has another one so we have to decide whether to make an offer on that one, and if we do, at what price. We’d like to own at Mountainside but can very likely make do trading in with our SBP which is actually cheaper to do than owning at Mountainside.

My impression was that the Barony week was worth a little more than the Mountainside week, so in my mind, I was going to get enough for the Barony week to cover the transfer fee and closing costs. Not sure it makes sense for me to up my offer on the Mountainside week.

Hmm.

Opinions?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Seller has another one so we have to decide whether to make an offer on that one, and if we do, at what price. We’d like to own at Mountainside but can very likely make do trading in with our SBP which is actually cheaper to do than owning at Mountainside.

My impression was that the Barony week was worth a little more than the Mountainside week, so in my mind, I was going to get enough for the Barony week to cover the transfer fee and closing costs. Not sure it makes sense for me to up my offer on the Mountainside week.

Hmm.

Opinions?
When do you want to go? Because I see everything except ski weeks all the time on Interval, both in getaway and exchange inventory. The only issue that I see for you is that Barony is not a lockoff so you have to give up a two bedroom every time you trade. Personally I think that it's a pretty easy trade so no need to own at this time, especially if Marriott is actively exercising ROFR. At some point it may not be an easy trade, but on the other hand there may come a day when ROFR isn't an issue either. As you know, with timeshares, there is always someone who wants to sell. If it was me, I would try trading for a few years to see if that works out.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
When do you want to go? Because I see everything except ski weeks all the time on Interval, both in getaway and exchange inventory. The only issue that I see for you is that Barony is not a lockoff so you have to give up a two bedroom every time you trade. Personally I think that it's a pretty easy trade so no need to own at this time, especially if Marriott is actively exercising ROFR. At some point it may not be an easy trade, but on the other hand there may come a day when ROFR isn't an issue either. As you know, with timeshares, there is always someone who wants to sell. If it was me, I would try trading for a few years to see if that works out.

I want to go in summer, which is an easy trade. I wouldn’t use my Barony week to trade typically, since I can easily trade in with my SBP. SBP is more cost effective to trade with.

As I mentioned up thread, my main reasons to own would be to ensure I can book without needing to worry about exchange dynamics and because they are doing construction uphill from Mountainside so at some point there may be undesirable units there and hopefully as an owner I would get a better unit.

I wouldn’t mind having a Marriott week and having a 2BR lockoff that I want to use most of the time but occasionally trade (ie Mountainside) is better for my purposes than a 2BR non lock off that I mostly trade or try to rent out (ie Barony). So I’d like to make the change but not if it costs me a lot to do so.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Buy a Worldmark. This is an easy trade. You can do the exchange within 60 days and it only costs you 4000 points. Here is what I saw on II today, searching from now to end of Sep for 1 and 2 BRs:

Marriott's MountainSide
MOU
icon_elite_small.png

Sep 15 2018 - Sep 22 2018
2 Bedrooms | Full Kitchen | Sleeps 8 total | 6 private

Sep 21 2018 - Sep 28 2018

Sep 22 2018 - Sep 29 2018
1 Bedroom | Full Kitchen | Sleeps 4 total | 4 private

Sep 23 2018 - Sep 30 2018

Sep 28 2018 - Oct 05 2018

Sep 29 2018 - Oct 06 2018

Sep 30 2018 - Oct 07 2018

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I want to go in summer, which is an easy trade. I wouldn’t use my Barony week to trade typically, since I can easily trade in with my SBP. SBP is more cost effective to trade with.

As I mentioned up thread, my main reasons to own would be to ensure I can book without needing to worry about exchange dynamics and because they are doing construction uphill from Mountainside so at some point there may be undesirable units there and hopefully as an owner I would get a better unit.

I wouldn’t mind having a Marriott week and having a 2BR lockoff that I want to use most of the time but occasionally trade (ie Mountainside) is better for my purposes than a 2BR non lock off that I mostly trade or try to rent out (ie Barony). So I’d like to make the change but not if it costs me a lot to do so.
Fair enough. In that case keep plugging along with offers. Maybe Marriott will be out of ROFR dollars later in the year. :)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Hmm.

Opinions?
Bummer you didn’t get it. I would try again. I am also a cost effective person. Now you have to ask yourself how much more is it worth to me and I am willing to spend to own at Mountainside and have the known without trading all the time. For me it would be $1000 more. Now you have to figure out what number you are comfortable with.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you. Why are you so fixated on mountain side for off-season when summit watch’s downtown site is a much better location during off-season? At least we think so. We only go during the summer through September and we like the ability to just walk out the door and have all the shops and restaurants right there on Main St. I’ve seen a gold summit watch listed for $2,000.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We love Summit Watch. Even though we had a unit by the roadside, the noise was negligible. It’s so convenient location wise. However we have not stayed at MountainSide yet so can’t compare.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I have a question for you. Why are you so fixated on mountain side for off-season when summit watch’s downtown site is a much better location during off-season? At least we think so. We only go during the summer through September and we like the ability to just walk out the door and have all the shops and restaurants right there on Main St. I’ve seen a gold summit watch listed for $2,000.

Lol. It’s awesome that you think Summit Watch is a better location.

My “fixation” (so silly that you would use such a negative description of my preference) is the result of my wanting to roll right out the lobby of the timeshare to ride the mountain bike trails. My only interest in a Park City timeshare is in one that is immediately adjacent to the trails. Not interested in road riding or bike path riding any more than I need to.

We did our presentation at Summit Watch and when we walked out we turned to each other and commented “ugh, this location is terrible”. Zero interest in Summit Watch.

So it’s great for you that you prefer Summit Watch. I wouldn’t call it a fixation, just you knowing what you want. Enjoy it.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Buy a Worldmark. This is an easy trade. You can do the exchange within 60 days and it only costs you 4000 points. Here is what I saw on II today, searching from now to end of Sep for 1 and 2 BRs:

Marriott's MountainSide
MOU
icon_elite_small.png

Sep 15 2018 - Sep 22 2018

Sep 21 2018 - Sep 28 2018

Sep 22 2018 - Sep 29 2018

Sep 23 2018 - Sep 30 2018

Sep 29 2018 - Oct 06 2018

Sep 30 2018 - Oct 07 2018

Last minute planning is no good for me work-wise. I run a department and everyone else’s schedule is set off mine. The more lead time I have, the better it is for my staff. They frequently plan their vacations when I’m away, that way they don’t have to work with another department, which is always awkward for them.

I don’t really need something to trade in cheaply. I have the SBP which does that nicely. But I have some interest in Worldmark anyway, I like their locations. So I could wind up with a Worldmark at some point and trading into Mountainside would be a pleasant bonus.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I own both Summit Watch and Mountainside. Mountainside has a better pool and is close to the mountain. Summit Watch has slightly better rooms and is close to the restaurants and shopping, but it has a small pool. Being an owner at Mountainside will give you preference of views compared to trading. There are plenty of views at Mountainside that look right out into a cliff and are not good. I am summer at Summit Watch and ski season at Mountainside. I think I would enjoy the Mountainside pool in the summer, but I read that it is very crowded in the summer.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I loved your biking pictures - you could start a new thread with them “View from a Bike”.

Can you remind us, are you enrolled in DClub? If so, have you considered redeeming the Barony for points annually and then using the points at Mountainside?

Or renting the points and booking 12 months out?

Sorry to hear about the ROFR - let us know if your enrolled and thanks!

Best,

Greg

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I loved your biking pictures - you could start a new thread with them “View from a Bike”.

Can you remind us, are you enrolled in DClub? If so, have you considered redeeming the Barony for points annually and then using the points at Mountainside?

Or renting the points and booking 12 months out?

Sorry to hear about the ROFR - let us know if your enrolled and thanks!

Best,

Greg

Not in DC. We have a resale week bought after DC started. They offered us a hybrid package when we were up in Park City- $43,000. More than we would ever spend for a timeshare.

taffy19

Reaction score
Beautiful photos, heathpack. Thanks for sharing!

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
I just sold my gold EOY odd Mountainside unit in June for $2000 and it passed ROFR.

Purchased for $1500 originally. First couple weeks of June are not too crazy or last week of August. I also own Worldmark and can easily trade into this resort, but two bedrooms are not as easy to find when trading during summer mid June to mid August

Last edited: