• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I succeeded! I think I am done with portfolio changes

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I succeeded! I think I am done with my portfolio changes.

I offered nine of my timeshares on Tug and tug marketplace for free this past year. I used no other form of advertising.

Seven properties have successfully found new homes because of TUG, all within three weeks of listing. Two I decided to unlist quickly as soon as I gave it thought because I was able to get a permenant trade from the timeshare for one and for the other I decided to keep as it was my strongest trader and with the changes in my portfolio, there is a good chance I will be able to actually use it in the future.

I use to trade all of these timeshares, lots of extra spending money now.

Most of the time I will actually use the weeks in my portfolio. If I cannot for some reason they are good traders.

I acquired just as many timeshares as I gave away. I received free timeshares or for $100 in HGVC Surf Club Marco Island, Blue Ride Village in Banner Elk, Chetola in Blowing Rock, HGVC Plantation Club Indian River Hutchenson Island and Jade Tree Myrtle Beach ( I gave away weeks here but now I have a week I can go). In addition, I got two back to back weeks at the Banyan in Key West, my husbands favorite, mine too, that I, of course, had to pay good money for (but still much less then resale market).

My only IF is my mandatory HGVC. I am leaning towards giving it away and getting another affiliate.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Congrats! Sounds like you worked the system to your advantage. Patience is a must in what you have achieved! You have some pretty nice vacations in your portfolio. Would you get another HGVC affiliate if you got rid of your mandatory?

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contact HGVc about a buyback offer before giving it away. I got $1200ish each for 2 eoy 3400 point weeks I couldn’t even give away here due to HGVc activation/transfer fees.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats! Sounds like you worked the system to your advantage. Patience is a must in what you have achieved! You have some pretty nice vacations in your portfolio. Would you get another HGVC affiliate if you got rid of your mandatory?
I feel I have a great portfolio, places my husband and I want to go and most that I could easily find a home for if needed. Whereas patience was needed to get what I wanted, moving fast was essential when I found the needle in the haystack.

Yes, I would get another affiliate in southwest Florida, my husbands preferred Florida location. My hgvc is currently at Mcalpin in Miami which I love. Hubby only wants to go a few days not a whole week so kind of defeats the purpose of owning there.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Contact HGVc about a buyback offer before giving it away. I got $1200ish each for 2 eoy 3400 point weeks I couldn’t even give away here due to HGVc activation/transfer fees.
I doubt Mcalpin in Miami Beach has a buy back but I will call to ask. I did talk to the closing company and I can gift it by signing a form saying there was no purchase. I would have to pay the closing cost, estoppel and transfer fee to do it legit. The new owner could pay the activation fee.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I met the HGVC rep at Charter Club (Marco Is.) at their margarita social last week.
I told her that I got Plantation Beach Club @Indian River Plantation for free.
She said, "Hush. The owners who I sell for don't want to hear that."
She also said a few other things I'll pass along in the HGVC forum.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I met the HGVC rep at Charter Club (Marco Is.) at their margarita social last week.
I told her that I got Plantation Beach Club @Indian River Plantation for free.
She said, "Hush. The owners who I sell for don't want to hear that."
She also said a few other things I'll pass along in the HGVC forum.
I look forward to reading the few other things.

I also got my Plantation Beach Club@Indian River Plantation for free and a prime week too. Her sellers not hearing keep them uniformed and gives her the chance to find an uninformed buyer too. In all fairness, most of the weeks have some resale value, we both got a great deal.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just curious, for the HGVC affiliate Florida weeks you picked up -- are you going to enroll them in the HGVC system (so you can use points) or are you going to use them independently?

Kurt

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just curious, for the HGVC affiliate Florida weeks you picked up -- are you going to enroll them in the HGVC system (so you can use points) or are you going to use them independently?

Kurt
My plan is to use them but life happens so I am sure at times I will not be able to.

I have/will enrolled every HGVC affiliate, as it is only a one time fee and I am paying the annual fee with my mandatory already. This way I can deposit them if I need to.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update:
I decided to gift my hgvc Mcalpin and my Hideaway Sands. Instead of hgvc Mcalpin I got another hgvc at surf club that I will actually use. Whereas Hideaway Sands would trade my week 52 to another week permanently I decided to gift this prime week. I did not want to take a week with less trading power. Both weeks went to tuggers.

In 11 months I was able to gift nine timeshares, here on tug very easily. In turn, I acquired nine others that I actually will use. Happy Tuggers, Happy me.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
truly remarkable story about how timeshares can be used to an owners benefit if they do the research ahead of time and know full well what they are buying (and eventually having to sell)!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Congrats! I'm impressed you were able to give/get rid of the timeshares you didn't want anymore, and have the patience to get the ones you wanted at low outlay.

My DH is standing fairly firm at 3 TSs. We haven't yet had the need to give them away. Actually we can't always use what we have already due to family visits and trying to stretch out TS pts as much as I can.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Update:
I decided to gift my hgvc Mcalpin and my Hideaway Sands. Instead of hgvc Mcalpin I got another hgvc at surf club that I will actually use. Whereas Hideaway Sands would trade my week 52 to another week permanently I decided to gift this prime week. I did not want to take a week with less trading power. Both weeks went to tuggers.

In 11 months I was able to gift nine timeshares, here on tug very easily. In turn, I acquired nine others that I actually will use. Happy Tuggers, Happy me.
Congrats on your divestitures and acquisitions.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I might be listing my 2 week ownership at one resort soon. Will see how the vacation goes this year and how I feel about it and then decide. If I decide to get rid of it and can't on TUG I will try giving it back to the resort.

I have been going through this the past few years. Should I or shouldn't I? It would leave me with the one week at our other resort and then I could try to rent there or other places instead for the week before or week after my other one or whenever.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Patience is the key. It took me almost 3 years plugging away to divest my portfolio of 6 Weeks at 6 different Resorts. In the interim I either used them, let friends use them or rented them. All in all it was a relatively painless process...

George

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I might be listing my 2 week ownership at one resort soon. Will see how the vacation goes this year and how I feel about it and then decide. If I decide to get rid of it and can't on TUG I will try giving it back to the resort.

I have been going through this the past few years. Should I or shouldn't I? It would leave me with the one week at our other resort and then I could try to rent there or other places instead for the week before or week after my other one or whenever.

I went thru the same with a few of my timeshares, should I or shouldn’t I get rid of this timeshare?

I kept saying no but ultimately within a year all but one that I said no to I ended up giving away.

The one I kept, I still think should I or shouldn’t I but the answer will have to wait another year as I already used my 2019 week for a fabulous fabulous 2019 trade.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
I succeeded! I think I am done with my portfolio changes.

I offered nine of my timeshares on Tug and tug marketplace for free this past year. I used no other form of advertising.

Seven properties have successfully found new homes because of TUG, all within three weeks of listing. Two I decided to unlist quickly as soon as I gave it thought because I was able to get a permenant trade from the timeshare for one and for the other I decided to keep as it was my strongest trader and with the changes in my portfolio, there is a good chance I will be able to actually use it in the future.

I use to trade all of these timeshares, lots of extra spending money now.

Most of the time I will actually use the weeks in my portfolio. If I cannot for some reason they are good traders.

I acquired just as many timeshares as I gave away. I received free timeshares or for $100 in HGVC Surf Club Marco Island, Blue Ride Village in Banner Elk, Chetola in Blowing Rock, HGVC Plantation Club Indian River Hutchenson Island and Jade Tree Myrtle Beach ( I gave away weeks here but now I have a week I can go). In addition, I got two back to back weeks at the Banyan in Key West, my husbands favorite, mine too, that I, of course, had to pay good money for (but still much less then resale market).

My only IF is my mandatory HGVC. I am leaning towards giving it away and getting another affiliate.
Which ones did you keep? And here I am at WKORVN planning to get more TS, this time from Vistana network.

EDIT: Just saw your post. PM me when you want to divest of Surf Club.