• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about fixed HGVC week

Southegirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour, Grand Pacific Palisades
I have the opportunity to purchase a fixed HGVC week. Does anyone know if these weeks get good exchanges thru hgvc, are they eligible for points conversion?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have the opportunity to purchase a fixed HGVC week. Does anyone know if these weeks get good exchanges thru hgvc, are they eligible for points conversion?

If you are asking about hgvc fixed weeks at an affiliate, this is how it works. I own fixed weeks at hgvc affiliates.

With them you need to pay your maintenance fees first and then call to deposit them in the hgvc system to get points to use within the hgvc system or to trade thru the hgvc portal. (Prior to this each one must be enrolled).

With a mandatory hgvc resort such as mcalpin or Tuscany the points are available for the following year without prepaying your maintenance fee or making a call to deposit them into hgvc.

Once you deposit the fixed unit to the hgvc system you can use your points like any other points within the hgvc system.

The risk is the affiliate can decide not to stay an affiliate. Whereas rare it has happened. Owners who enrolled their week prior were able to stay part of hgvc (not sure if a limit) but if you sold new owners couldn’t.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It doesn’t make sense to pay a premium for a fixed HGVC week if you intend to use the points somewhere else.

Having to pay upfront to get the points is also bad use of points. A true HGVC you can borrow points for no fee, take your vacation, then pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes you can convert. But as @SmithOp indicates, it is not worth paying a premium for it unless you plan to use or rent it more than 80% of the time. If you are paying same price and it is a premium or event week, then that might be a good deal assuming it is a popular week.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It doesn’t make sense to pay a premium for a fixed HGVC week if you intend to use the points somewhere else.

Having to pay upfront to get the points is also bad use of points. A true HGVC you can borrow points for no fee, take your vacation, then pay for it.

It can make sense if you will use the actual week at least half the time. I have a holiday week at an affiliate that would be hard to trade into for that week. You are right if you just intend to use for points no need to pay more.

Southegirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure I follow your comment..."It doesn’t make sense to pay a premium for a fixed HGVC week if you intend to use the points somewhere else. " I'm purchasing at Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort, which I believe is a mandatory result. The purchase price is less than $100 and annual fees are low. Why wouldn't I use this to exchange for points to use other HGVC resorts at a lower price threshold? If I'm missing something please explain .....

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure I follow your comment..."It doesn’t make sense to pay a premium for a fixed HGVC week if you intend to use the points somewhere else. " I'm purchasing at Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort, which I believe is a mandatory result. The purchase price is less than $100 and annual fees are low. Why wouldn't I use this to exchange for points to use other HGVC resorts at a lower price threshold? If I'm missing something please explain .....
There are two ways of thinking. Many believe spend money up front and get the most points you can for the lowest maintenance fee, over the years you will save money. Others, including myself am ok with having less points with no buy in cost. It probably will cost me more over many years but right now I am enjoying without paying upfront.

I own at plantation beach club at Indian River. It is not a mandatory resort. It is an affiliate. You can join hgvc if you want to. Is it a week you will use sometimes? The maintenance fees there are higher then others in the system. You said they are low so make sure they quoted you right. I am ok with the higher maintenance fee as I will use it at times so I am guaranteed my week.

Ultimately financially you have to decide what works best for you, like I did. You will get many different opinion here.

Southegirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for your thorough explanation P!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
With them you need to pay your maintenance fees first and then call to deposit them in the hgvc system to get points to use within the hgvc system or to trade thru the hgvc portal. (Prior to this each one must be enrolled.
Just wanted to point out that this is not true for all affiliated fixed weeks. We own fixed weeks at both Surf Club and Charter Club, and they work exactly the same as our SeaWorld week -- no need to pay the maintenance fees before using the points. The only difference is that automatic reservations are made for our Home Week (fixed) about 2 years before. We can then call to release that week and the points can be used for anything (RCI, HGVC, etc.), long before we pay the MF on them.

Kurt

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just wanted to point out that this is not true for all affiliated fixed weeks. We own fixed weeks at both Surf Club and Charter Club, and they work exactly the same as our SeaWorld week -- no need to pay the maintenance fees before using the points. The only difference is that automatic reservations are made for our Home Week (fixed) about 2 years before. We can then call to release that week and the points can be used for anything (RCI, HGVC, etc.), long before we pay the MF on them.

Kurt
Good to know. Seems the info I was told is wrong.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Good to know. Seems the info I was told is wrong.
Several of the affiliates have different "rules" on how they interact with HGVC points, so I don't think generalizations work. I know Bay Club, Valdoro, SW Florida, Scotland all have some different variations; hard to keep track of them all!

Kurt

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Some fixed weeks were sold at a premium, you didn’t specify pricing in the original post. $100 is a great price so my comment would not apply.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kurt

Agree, except that I don't even have to call to release a week. I can do it online. (That's for my Sanibel and Ft Myers Beach weeks.)

Vkothari916

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a fixed week 22 at an affiliate resort (Marbrisa). I was surprised to log in for th first time and find that HGVC converted the fixed week to floating platinum points. I can use it for any week during home reservation period and there is no existing reservation for me for week 22. This is a mandatory HGV resort so I wonder if the fixed week to floating conversion is something Hilton enacted recently.