• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba surf club ocean view room with no view

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at Aruba surf club. We were given an ocean view room with our interval exchange. It is 4th floor compass tower. Maybe if I stand on tippy toes, I can glimpse a tiny bit of ocean, otherwise all I see is the pool.

If I paid for this view, I would freak out. Just a warning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at Aruba surf club. We were given an ocean view room with our interval exchange. It is 4th floor compass tower. Maybe if I stand on tippy toes, I can glimpse a tiny bit of ocean, otherwise all I see is the pool.

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I bought an ocean view in surf but have yet to use it. I’ve been to surf but stayed in lighthouse using a family members unit. I think you got the worst possible ocean view. Higher floors in compass and spyglass are better views but ocean view is only 1 category up from garden view. If you want the really pretty views you have to spring for Oceanside or ocean front, both in the lighthouse building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Just as a FYI
96dcffec265fa6c0b029d2d1e1925e8a.jpg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When Marriott built the resort and started selling, they never expected the freshly planted trees to actually grow.:rolleyes:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
When Marriott built the resort and started selling, they never expected the freshly planted trees to actually grow.:rolleyes:

:) hehehe

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
We'll be there in a few weeks exchanging via II, but have always had an ocean view since 2012. Last year I had a 3 bdrm that popped up using an AC in the Compass Tower, top floor. The view was magnificent. I did complete my request form for the Lighthouse a few days ago, but you never know until check in. This will be a friend's first visit to Aruba, so I'll need to show her all of the attractions that I've seen numerous times. I also just found Eduardo's Beach Shack behind Playa Linda that I never knew about after vacationing in Aruba since 2005! I have no idea how I missed this little jewel.

Oh, I do remember going to the Surf Club in 2016 and being given a unit on the second floor Lighthouse building just above all of the activities. Well, my 24 yr old daughter was loving it, but I said absolutely not once I stepped out on the balcony. It was loud and very busy. So, I very nicely went back to the front desk to complain and was moved to a high floor with a great view. It never hurts to complain as nicely as possible.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

There may be other locations I'm not as familiar with but this is esp confusing at MSU. Basically OV is lower than OS even though the points are the same. OceanWatch has a similar setup but the points are not the same cost as they are at Surf Club. That combined with the priority of unit assignments is what gave you a technically OV unit that had now view.

skyequeen

Reaction score
This thread is confusing me. We own 2 weeks Platinum season OV and also use points and exchanges to get 5 or 6 weeks a year in fall and winter. We have always had good views when we ask for high floors. We are multiple week Marriott and are treated well there. We like looking out to the ocean over the pools from Spyglass vs. sideways from the Lighthouse (OS) which also faces construction of a condo beyond our resort that has been going on for years. We have also looked outward from the Compass building toward the hotel and gotten good ocean views but don't prefer it. There is nothing terrible about Spyglass OV - except from that 4th floor apparently. Even when we only owned 1 week in Aruba we had good views. And it is not like anyone spends a lot of time in the unit vs. on the beach or out and about. It is a wonderful resort and we had no second thoughts buying another OV vs. OS a couple of years ago. We also like that we don't have to use a car to get to most restaurants and bars we like - we walk out the back of the resort or on the beach to get everywhere - keeps you young. Rarely do we even use a cab. When you are OV try to get the back section of Spyglass and a high floor unit closest to the main lobby and you will have a good view.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

It is my understanding that just because your II exchange cert is coded as OV it doesn't guarantee you actually get one. Heck, you could get a dumpster view. The only promise from II is the size of the room, nothing else guaranteed with an exchange.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that just because your II exchange cert is coded as OV it doesn't guarantee you actually get one. Heck, you could get a dumpster view. The only promise from II is the size of the room, nothing else guaranteed with an exchange.
It's not guaranteed but generally Marriott's will give you the exact view type exchanged and this is certainly my experience at Surf Club as well as 3 different HI resorts. Ko Olina was rigid on this issue, historically Surf Club has been less so willing to match up units sometimes as a minimal upgrade.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are lucky you got a pool view. We just got back from there. Used our ocean view owner / home week. We got a parking lot view on the 4th floor. Literally a parking lot view. If you hang over the balcony on your tippy toes and really twist your neck you may get a little glimpse of the ocean. We had a prime view of trash trucks in the morning. First I was really upset but then decided you have to be a real party pooper to let that ruin your Aruba week. We didn't come there to look out the window anyway, we came to enjoy the beach. Our friends had II exchange the same week which was supposed to be a garden view unit.. They had a nice view of the pool on the 4th floor also which is considered an ocean view. I had requested to be on the same floor which we got but didn't expect the owner week to get the worst view. Btw, we own several Marriott weeks including 2 Marriott Aruba Surf Club weeks.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I forgot to mention that the two previous years we stayed at the SC in May. That had a lot to do with me getting great units. I haven’t been to the Surf Cub in August since about 2013. I recall that the resort was packed. Even the check in took an hour, but that was before they added the other check in desks. We're meeting up with a friend who is staying at the Divi Aruba Phoenix, otherwise I would not be going in August.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
You are lucky you got a pool view. We just got back from there. Used our ocean view owner / home week. We got a parking lot view on the 4th floor. Literally a parking lot view. If you hang over the balcony on your tippy toes and really twist your neck you may get a little glimpse of the ocean. We had a prime view of trash trucks in the morning. First I was really upset but then decided you have to be a real party pooper to let that ruin your Aruba week. We didn't come there to look out the window anyway, we came to enjoy the beach. Our friends had II exchange the same week which was supposed to be a garden view unit.. They had a nice view of the pool on the 4th floor also which is considered an ocean view. I had requested to be on the same floor which we got but didn't expect the owner week to get the worst view. Btw, we own several Marriott weeks including 2 Marriott Aruba Surf Club weeks.
Exactly! Consider yourself fortunate to be on the pool side of the building, which IMHO are good views.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I'm starting to get a little nervous now since I haven't stay at the resort in August for some time. If SC owners are getting so-so units, there's no telling what I'll get in two weeks. If I get a floor higher than the 4th, I won't complain. I don't think we've ever been below 7. Maybe checking in on a Thursday might help. I'm actually going to stay at the Divi Aruba Phoenix with a friend on a Tuesday, so I'll already be on the island for the Thursday check in. It might help if I call the resort to see what time they will allow me to check in. Still, I won't complain though. It's a vacation.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually had a lot of issues that added up to being quite annoying. First, we were told we had ocean front but room not ready at 4. Went food shopping, came back, told it is oceanview. Then we get up the and no view.

Then fitted sheet on bed too small. Asked for new set and that one was too small. It took two more sets for it to fit.

Asked concierge if there was vegetarian option at atardi. Didn't know and didn't attempt to find out. I walked over there and asked. Yes there was. Booked reservation. Vegetarian option was pasta primavera. That sounds good. It came and was literally a kid's meal. Buttered spaghetti with carrots, green beans and mushrooms with red sauce on the side. Yuck!!!

Then my husband took my youngest to arcade. Air hockey stole money. Another machine wouldn't work. All in all stole $5.

Had to go to manager because front desk said they outsource and can't give money back. Manager credited account air $10.

All in all, this trip is frustrating. Anything that has to do with marriott is not working well. I don't think we will be back, even though we own here. Too many other top notch resorts, like ocean pointe.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Then fitted sheet on bed too small. Asked for new set and that one was too small. It took two more sets for it to fit.
This is a problem we have noticed for years. Lately I have noticed more and more properties just using flat sheets on the mattress.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually had a lot of issues that added up to being quite annoying. First, we were told we had ocean front but room not ready at 4. Went food shopping, came back, told it is oceanview. Then we get up the and no view.

Asked concierge if there was vegetarian option at atardi. Didn't know and didn't attempt to find out. I walked over there and asked. Yes there was. Booked reservation. Vegetarian option was pasta primavera. That sounds good. It came and was literally a kid's meal. Buttered spaghetti with carrots, green beans and mushrooms with red sauce on the side. Yuck!!!

Then my husband took my youngest to arcade. Air hockey stole money. Another machine wouldn't work. All in all stole $5.

Had to go to manager because front desk said they outsource and can't give money back. Manager credited account air $10.

All in all, this trip is frustrating. Anything that has to do with marriott is not working well. I don't think we will be back, even though we own here. Too many other top notch resorts, like ocean pointe.

What was the actual deposit type of the exchange, OV?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Ovtm

It sounds like they just misspoke on the view of the unit assigned. As I understand it, OV is 4th floor or above in the compass building and this is consistent with the way they'd prioritize unit assignments, not that they are required to give the view type of the deposit, they almost always do in my experience. My recent experience is that they have been militant about giving the EXACT view and unit type of the deposit. I'm always amazed at how the little aggravations can add up and how little blessings can add to one's enjoyment.

It also seems that some people have more of certain issues than others, not just react to them more strongly. There are some people that the bank messes up their account routinely where it never happens to others. For us it's AC issues and hot water whether it be timeshare or hotels. For the AC in part it's the motion sensor thermostats that shut off while we're sleeping but we've had several units go out completely and have to be totally replaced, twice in Aruba and twice at Ocean Pointe. For hot water it's the idiots that put in a 50 gallon tank and a garden soaking tub where you can get only about a half tub of appropriate hot water. This hasn't been an issue at most Marriott's but it is at Surf Club. So it's calling maintenance and having them turn the temp on on the hot water for some locations and bypassing the motion sensor thermostat.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
My upcoming unit assignment in two weeks will show me if there's any difference exchanging in as a Marriott owner elsewhere and exchanging via II as non Marriott owner. I've been going to the SC since 2012 as a non Marriott owner and always received great units in the Lighthouse building. Last year was our first stay in Compass. Our reservation through II has always been ocean view on a high floor, but not in August.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My upcoming unit assignment in two weeks will show me if there's any difference exchanging in as a Marriott owner elsewhere and exchanging via II as non Marriott owner. I've been going to the SC since 2012 as a non Marriott owner and always received great units in the Lighthouse building. Last year was our first stay in Compass. Our reservation through II has always been ocean view on a high floor, but not in August.
Are you sure they were Ocean side instead of Ocean view? Certainly for lower seasons it's easier for them to be accommodating.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's Aruba - don't sweat the small stuff! Whether you are on the 4th floor or the 12th floor, its all good. I have always gotten the view category that was indicated on the II exchange. If you don't like the view that you receive, you can always ask the front desk nicely and I would expect that they would try to accommodate

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Update:
Ok, so I attempted to check in around 2:30 since I was already on the island since Tuesday at the Divi Aruba Phoenix. I was told to return at 4:00, and that I would be in the Spyglass building, which I’ve never been since coming to the SC. For some strange reason, my reservation was mixed with someone else’s account. It took a few minutes to get that corrected. At 3:50, we returned only to learn that the room still wasn’t ready. I tried to be changed to the Lighthouse or Compass buildings, but there was no availability. I signed a form requesting to be changed the next day if possible. The unit was ready around 4:20 on the 7th floor, but I was disappointed that it was not updated. Even the bottom drawer on the stove was disengaged. I called the front desk to be changed and we were given a 9th floor unit with a better view of the ocean and pool. Oh, we were offered handicap unit in the Lighthouse bldg on the 3rd floor, which I declined. After unpacking I decided to stay put and not be moved to a refurbished building. We came to vacation and not sweat the small stuff.

I will say that August at the Surf Club is too busy for me. I'd rather return in May when most schools are still in session.