• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I need 200K MR points [Lifetime MR status - MERGED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

elleny76

Reaction score
Assuming the new Platinum is equal to the old Gold status. Looks like perks are equal.

I am currently a little short of reaching Marriott LT Gold with about 600 nights but only 1.4mil LT points. I was planning on reaching LT Gold next January by turning 2 timeshares into MR Points. Question now is will I achieve LT Gold or LT Platinum at the end of the year? Or neither?

Any suggestions on getting the 200K MR Points before August?

Can I purchase points in SPG and roll over or purchase and hope they automatically combine in August?

Purchase SPG and transfer to Marriotts account. SPG now are 30k for $684 I think (30+3=90.000)
if someone in your family has an SPG account buy 30k +10k more . As long the account is open for more than 14 days. Also to transfer from family account to yours it needs to be open more than 1 month. They all need to live under the same address

Last edited by a moderator:

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a couple of emails from Marriott Rewards saying that to qualify for lifetime gold by the end of 2018 you need 400 nights and 7 years of gold (or higher) status. It also says that Marriott and SPG status in the same year will be double counted. It makes no mention of requiring any amount of lifetime points. This prompts some self interested questions from me:

1. Am I missing something, as in are lifetime points still a requirement that has just been missed out from the email I received? I will have no chance of qualifying for lifetime gold by the end of the year if the 1.6 million points requirement remains but could potentially do so otherwise.

2. And/Or, is the lifetime gold that is being referred to in the email the equivalent to SPG lifetime gold that will be mapped to lifetime gold in the new system as opposed to Marriott lifetime gold that will be mapped to lifetime platinum? Btw this was an email from Marriott Rewards not SPG Rewards.

3. If the same year of gold in Marriott and gold in SPG is to be double counted does this apply when when gold in SPG is acquired solely by linking accounts? I have been gold in Marriott for 6 years and gold in SPG for two years but only because I linked the two accounts after the merger and have never qualified independently for gold in SPG.

On a separate point, has anyone heard that after August, MVC points will be capable of booking any Marriott hotel rather than just the limited selection via the explorer collection? I suspect, if true, it will not be the best use of points but it could still be a useful additional feature of the program.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I have had a couple of emails from Marriott Rewards saying that to qualify for lifetime gold by the end of 2018 you need 400 nights and 7 years of gold (or higher) status. It also says that Marriott and SPG status in the same year will be double counted. It makes no mention of requiring any amount of lifetime points. This prompts some self interested questions from me:

1. Am I missing something, as in are lifetime points still a requirement that has just been missed out from the email I received? I will have no chance of qualifying for lifetime gold by the end of the year if the 1.6 million points requirement remains but could potentially do so otherwise.

2. And/Or, is the lifetime gold that is being referred to in the email the equivalent to SPG lifetime gold that will be mapped to lifetime gold in the new system as opposed to Marriott lifetime gold that will be mapped to lifetime platinum? Btw this was an email from Marriott Rewards not SPG Rewards.

3. If the same year of gold in Marriott and gold in SPG is to be double counted does this apply when when gold in SPG is acquired solely by linking accounts? I have been gold in Marriott for 6 years and gold in SPG for two years but only because I linked the two accounts after the merger and have never qualified independently for gold in SPG.

On a separate point, has anyone heard that after August, MVC points will be capable of booking any Marriott hotel rather than just the limited selection via the explorer collection? I suspect, if true, it will not be the best use of points but it could still be a useful additional feature of the program.
Ref question 1. Through the end of the 2018, you can qualify for lifetime status based on total nights and points or X years at Y status. I don't have the link handy, but Marriott has this on their website.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
rickandcindy23,

I think my brain is fogged with all the push to get to LTPP by the end of the year. Aren't you kind of floating money in doing a manufactured spend? I assume what you are doing is buying $5K in gift cards, cashing them in for money orders, putting the money orders into your checking account, paying your credit card bill with the cash from the money orders, and then doing it all again. Correct? I love your method but I guess I'm fearful somehow that would be considered as some form of "kiting." I know it's not but I admire your courage! I must be getting less gutsy in my old age. LoL

I would get the new Marriott cc, and I will definitely get it for us.

I would also get the Starwood Amex, while it is still being offered, and you can build points through Manufactured Spend, them transfer them over to MR for 3X points.

Manufactured Spend:
Go to Simon Mall either in person or online and buy $5K in gift cards for $3.95 per $500 card. The shipping fee for mailing the 10 cards is $.49. I do about $50K per month lately. Then get money orders from Walmart with the cards, then deposit them into your checking account. Get $999.12 money order (.88 for the money order), ask Walmart employee at customer service to take $500 first as payment, then swipe again for the additional $500.

Some Walmart stores are becoming difficult about money orders and Visa debit cards. We are about 50/50 for the Walmarts in our area. Rick is about ready to challenge the CS reps who won't do it at all. I keep telling him we should just say, "Okay, no problem," then leave. He is asking why too much. They say their managers are not allowing it. That is probably not necessarily true.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

With regards to the 7 years gold for lifetime status- I read the same and have been searching to find how many years I have been gold. Any ideas? Thanks.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Last edited:

Toppermom

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long does it take for Marriott Rewards Points to be credited to your account if you opt for rewards points points for a deeded week? Because I am attempting to accumulate enough points for Lifetime Gold, I chose to convert a week to Rewards points (not something I normally do). I got an email that said the points would be credited no later than January 2019!!! That certainly will defeat the purpose of converting if they don't post until then. Has anyone else converted a week and if so, how long did it take to show up in your account?

Additionally, I read that someone paid maintenance fees early--how does one go about doing that? Do you just pay this year's amount and then pay the balance when the statements come at the end of the year (assuming there will be an increase)?

Thank you all for your advise.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From experience, around Oct of the prior year.

You do not need to prepay for conversion. But yes, I usually prepay the same amount as previous year's when I need the MRPs right away. When the actual bill comes out at the end of the year you can pay the difference.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How long does it take for Marriott Rewards Points to be credited to your account if you opt for rewards points points for a deeded week? Because I am attempting to accumulate enough points for Lifetime Gold, I chose to convert a week to Rewards points (not something I normally do). I got an email that said the points would be credited no later than January 2019!!! That certainly will defeat the purpose of converting if they don't post until then. Has anyone else converted a week and if so, how long did it take to show up in your account?

Additionally, I read that someone paid maintenance fees early--how does one go about doing that? Do you just pay this year's amount and then pay the balance when the statements come at the end of the year (assuming there will be an increase)?

Thank you all for your advise.
Ours have usually posted in Sept or Oct, but they won't take any action or help you get them faster if they don't as the official line is January. There is no need to prepay MFs and I don't think prepayment speeds up the posting of the points. We have elected in September and they were posted in a few weeks and we didn't pay our fees until the following January.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ours have usually posted in Sept or Oct, but they won't take any action or help you get them faster if they don't as the official line is January. There is no need to prepay MFs and I don't think prepayment speeds up the posting of the points. We have elected in September and they were posted in a few weeks and we didn't pay our fees until the following January.
Prepay MF on Marriott Visa gets you the MF points right away. :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Prepay MF on Marriott Visa gets you the MF points right away. :)
Oh, got it. Yeah, we did that last year so we could order a travel package for additional bonus miles from United.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Update on reaching LT Gold before July 31st (just in case requirements change):

I spent just under the $5000 requirement on my new Chase Marriott card during the first month with a statement date of June 20th. (This was only because I did not realize that the credit card annual fee did not qualify as part of the spending.) I easily went over the $5000 spending requirement the following month, and that statement date was Friday, July 20th. I called on the 19th and reminded Chase that I needed a speedy transfer of my 100k MR points. I was told it would happen on my statement date, something which I found hard to believe. To my surprise the 100k points were indeed in my Marriott account when I logged in on Sunday, July 22nd.

I am now about 30K short of reaching the 1.6M requirement needed to reach LT Gold (future LT Platinum). I will transfer enough MR points from DW's account in the next couple of days to get to the 1.6M. I tried to do the transfer last week, but was told Marriott's system was down.

I also turned in a 2019 timeshare week a couple of months back that should net me another 100K MR points in Sept or Oct as a backup plan. I know about the end of year qualification for LT status, but again I am just trying to get there before July 31st in case the nights & points requirement changes to the new nights and years requirement after July 31st.

I will keep you posted.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to transfer SPG from one account to another? I thought it would be pretty instantaneous but the confirmation says it could take up to 5 business days. WTHeck? I'm surprised at that. But, as long as the points I transferred get there on the 31st that will be ok. Well, as long as SPG points transferring to Marriott happen instantaneously.

Purchase SPG and transfer to Marriotts account. SPG now are 30k for $684 I think (30+3=90.000)
if someone in your family has an SPG account buy 30k +10k more . As long the account is open for more than 14 days. Also to transfer from family account to yours it needs to be open more than 1 month. They all need to live under the same address

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation. I have the nights and could get to the points prior to July 31st by spending a few hundred dollars to buy points. Or I can wait until August 6th when I will have enough points from Marriott credit card spending when my account closes for the month and not have to spend the cash to buy points. I'm not sure if spending the cash is worth the safety or not. What are the chances or things changing after August 1 when Marriott has clearly stated that you will have until the end of 2018 to qualify under the terms of the old program?

Update on reaching LT Gold before July 31st (just in case requirements change):

I know about the end of year qualification for LT status, but again I am just trying to get there before July 31st in case the nights & points requirement changes to the new nights and years requirement after July 31st.

I will keep you posted.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Transferring points from SPG to Marriott do not count toward Lifetime status. I've tried. At best, the points should be transferred from SPG to Marriott and then from one Marriott to the other Marriott. This is what I'll be trying shortly.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are very clear that the deadline for the legacy method is Dec 31. Considering points in both programs will be combined it does not seem to matter if the transfer counts as lifetime or not. All of it will count from Aug to Dec 31.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation. I have the nights and could get to the points prior to July 31st by spending a few hundred dollars to buy points. Or I can wait until August 6th when I will have enough points from Marriott credit card spending when my account closes for the month and not have to spend the cash to buy points. I'm not sure if spending the cash is worth the safety or not. What are the chances or things changing after August 1 when Marriott has clearly stated that you will have until the end of 2018 to qualify under the terms of the old program?

I am fairly confident I have seen it in writing from Marriott that achieving LT under any of the current (pre-8.1) milestones prior to 12.31.18 will work. The Points Guy states "We’ve received confirmation from Marriott that your activity for the rest of the year at both Marriott and SPG hotels will count toward both of the legacy programs’ qualification criteria." at link

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's my backup plan and why I gave MVC one of my weeks for 100K points. The other points are from purchasing them into my DW's account at a discount from SPG and then transferring to her Marriott and on to my Marriott.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm holding my breath on this one and hoping it works otherwise I'll never get there. I'm waiting for the SPG points to transfer from one account to another before I can move them to MRs and then onto me.

Transferring points from SPG to Marriott do not count toward Lifetime status. I've tried. At best, the points should be transferred from SPG to Marriott and then from one Marriott to the other Marriott. This is what I'll be trying shortly.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to transfer SPG from one account to another? I thought it would be pretty instantaneous but the confirmation says it could take up to 5 business days. WTHeck? I'm surprised at that. But, as long as the points I transferred get there on the 31st that will be ok. Well, as long as SPG points transferring to Marriott happen instantaneously.

They should. It literally took me 5 minutes to buy Starpoints, convert them to MRPs, and see them post into my MR account last week.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Major aspects of the Starwood and Marriott Rewards programs are merging effective 8/1/18 (with major corresponding changes to things like property categories, travel package costs, points required per night for free stays, etc.). However, you still have until 12/31/18 to meet the new qualification requirements for status levels.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am fairly confident I have seen it in writing from Marriott that achieving LT under any of the current (pre-8.1) milestones prior to 12.31.18 will work. The Points Guy states "We’ve received confirmation from Marriott that your activity for the rest of the year at both Marriott and SPG hotels will count toward both of the legacy programs’ qualification criteria." at link

That should be correct. You have until 12/31/18 to qualify either under the pre-8/1 criteria (which includes lifetime points) or post-8/1 criteria (which does not consider points). As long you qualify under one of the 2 sets of criteria by the end of the year, you should be fine.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's my backup plan and why I gave MVC one of my weeks for 100K points. The other points are from purchasing them into my DW's account at a discount from SPG and then transferring to her Marriott and on to my Marriott.

I had considered doing that to generate points pre-8/1 myself. However, when I went on the MVCI website it said that MRPs from weeks that are converted will not post until after January 1st of the coming year. So, if you turned in a 2019 week you wouldn't get the points until after 1/1/19. Was your converted week 2018 or 2019 usage? If 2019, let us know if your MRPs from converting your week post earlier than January.

Status
Not open for further replies.