• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who used to own timeshares and now just rents them?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
That’s awful Dave. I almost think RCI thinks they have you over a barrel because you deposited your weeks or points with them and either you put up with their garbage and high fees or walk away and lose 1000s of dollars in weeks or points deposited.

In all fairness, a friend of mine who has used RCI for 20 years said RCI used to be excellent. Too bad things changed.

At least there are exchange options like II and internal like HGV. At least the owner has some choice so they can get the best value for their trade.

If I buy another timeshare, I will consider a brand name like Hilton or Marriott. I used to own legacy resorts that only offered RCI. People on TUG have been very helpful on me narrowing down the best options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave up my timeshare about four years ago. Mixed bag on how we travel now, but rent a timeshare occasionally. It costs a little more, but not that much. On the other hand, I found it easier to find something I want the exact week I am thinking of travelling.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That’s awful Dave. I almost think RCI thinks they have you over a barrel because you deposited your weeks or points with them and either you put up with their garbage and high fees or walk away and lose 1000s of dollars in weeks or points deposited.

In all fairness, a friend of mine who has used RCI for 20 years said RCI used to be excellent. Too bad things changed.

At least there are exchange options like II and internal like HGV. At least the owner has some choice so they can get the best value for their trade.

If I buy another timeshare, I will consider a brand name like Hilton or Marriott. I used to own legacy resorts that only offered RCI. People on TUG have been very helpful on me narrowing down the best options.

Thanks. It was a real eye opener. They were all sweetness and light until they asked whether I intended to renew my expiring membership, and I said I wasn't sure. Then the claws came out.

I don't know where you live, but I'd recommend Grand Pacific Resorts as a mini-system to explore. They own and operate nice places, mostly in California. They are also the management company for resorts in other areas, such as Hawaii. A side benefit to owning with them is Grand Pacific Exchange, their internal exchange system. It is free to belong (you need to own a Grand Pacific managed resort), but exchange fees are only $189. I exchanged through them into Ka'anapali Beach Club on Maui this Spring. I think it was a great exchange, and I was treated by KBC as an owner, not an exchanger. GPX also offers other resorts, but I'm not sure how they get those resorts into their inventory. They also do rentals, which is how I got the 2br oceanfront Kauai resort I went to after my Maui week. I rented it through GPX for $589 plus tax for a week. It was a very nice vacation.

Dave

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I agree Roger. Over the past two years, I have been renting very nice one bedroom condos in Maui and Oahu through Airbnb. My daily rate has varied from 90 to 140 USD a night. All the ones so far I have rent have been either in the beach or a block from the beach, very clean and have bbqs, gym and pool. Unfortunately, when I timeshared I had trouble getting the weeks I want and the island I wanted in Hawaii. If I ever do buy a timeshare again, it will be in Hawaii and I will use it. What has stopped me is I find the maintenance fees high on Hawaiian timeshares and can get them less by renting from an owner or Airbnb.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Thanks. It was a real eye opener. They were all sweetness and light until they asked whether I intended to renew my expiring membership, and I said I wasn't sure. Then the claws came out.

I don't know where you live, but I'd recommend Grand Pacific Resorts as a mini-system to explore. They own and operate nice places, mostly in California. They are also the management company for resorts in other areas, such as Hawaii. A side benefit to owning with them is Grand Pacific Exchange, their internal exchange system. It is free to belong (you need to own a Grand Pacific managed resort), but exchange fees are only $189. I exchanged through them into Ka'anapali Beach Club on Maui this Spring. I think it was a great exchange, and I was treated by KBC as an owner, not an exchanger. GPX also offers other resorts, but I'm not sure how they get those resorts into their inventory. They also do rentals, which is how I got the 2br oceanfront Kauai resort I went to after my Maui week. I rented it through GPX for $589 plus tax for a week. It was a very nice vacation.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have heard quite a few good things about Grand Pacific and their exchange system. That certainly would be another one to look at. California is nice too and as I recall, grand pacific has lovely places in Carlsbad, Ocean side and Coronado island. Since they have Hawaii, that peaks my interest as well.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks Dave. I have heard quite a few good things about Grand Pacific and their exchange system. That certainly would be another one to look at. California is nice too and as I recall, grand pacific has lovely places in Carlsbad, Ocean side and Coronado island. Since they have Hawaii, that peaks my interest as well.

They also have places in other parts of California, (Napa, Big Bear, Palm Springs, Tahoe, Yosemite area, and others.) I only sold my Grand Pacific week because I bought WorldMark, and I didn't expect I'd be using the GPR unit. One perk is they allow Day Use for free to owners at the resort where they own. So it has a lot of good things going for it.

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I tried that. My RCI membership expired this year, and I was not planning to renew, since I haven't deposited anything to RCI in years, I no longer own a Weeks timeshare, and even if I did, I'd never again deposit anything to RCI because of their outrageous fees. But while my membership was still active, when reserving an Extra Vacation week with a guest certificate for a coworker for this Fall, I found out that even though it was all a cash purchase, and no exchange or deposit from me was involved, I couldn't do that since it was for a time after my membership would have expired. I don't agree with RCI's logic, since the deposit I was renting was already in their inventory.

They said, "Why should we allow you to rent something for a period after your membership expires?" (Excuse me? That is why it was a FUTURE reservation, like a plane ticket is reserved in advance. If purchased during my membership period, why is that so hard for RCI to understand?) "What if there is a problem and we need to contact you? If you're not a current member, how could we get hold of you?" (Really, RCI? Then why do you have all my information included in the reservation? You send me an email, or make a phone call. How hard is that?) And the end of it all, the answer is Nope, you can ONLY travel, or do anything else, while your membership is active. So if you're going to make a reservation for a year from now, you MUST be a member of RCI when that travel date comes up.

I'm not sure if I was being blown a smoke screen or not, but the "Supervisor" I spoke to (not certain it was really a supervisor - she was VERY rude to me, when all I wanted was clarification) claimed that was "just the way it works." I still don't understand the logic, since everything happened while my membership was current. (And as I think of it, she was the one who called me an "a$$hole" at the end of the call, when she thought the line had already disconnected. What a b*tch.)

At any rate, I renewed my account for one more year, and told my coworker this is the last time I will be able to reserve for him. I am beyond done with RCI. I'm a nice guy, but there comes a point when you have to push back a bit. RCI has been pushing and pushing for a long time, and it's time for me to move on.

Dave
Did you get the RCI representative name or it is on their system so they will know. I would elevate what she said with a complaint.

I did that on one employee who told me that I wasn’t very nice to her after she was rude, kept telling me that is how it is without explanation and wouldn’t let me speak to a supervisor. Since that call, RCI representatives have gone above and beyond, at least in manners and respect. Wonder if my account is flagged?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Did you get the RCI representative name or it is on their system so they will know. I would elevate what she said with a complaint.

I did that on one employee who told me that I wasn’t very nice to her after she was rude, kept telling me that is how it is without explanation and wouldn’t let me speak to a supervisor. Since that call, RCI representatives have gone above and beyond, at least in manners and respect. Wonder if my account is flagged?

Probably. It’s sad that you need to be flagged to get a respectful person in the other line. What bothers me the most is they appear arrogant (as in too bad so sad or suck it up buttercup or that’s the way it is so accept it). That attitude just doesn’t work for me and I go the extra mile to dump anyone like that.

I think I was flagged when I had a membership with them too. I wrote RCI a stern letter detailing my experiences with time, dates and who I talked with. I cced the letter to my old resorts that I no longer have. I did get a response with an apology but it was too little too late by then.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Unfortunately, I didn't get a name, of either the initial VC or the so-called "Supervisor." I put it down to being exactly how I think RCI views their paying membership, (with contempt), and it will be added incentive for me to not renew my membership when it expires next year. I'm done with them. If I hadn't promised my coworker I'd reserve his favorite place in Las Vegas so he could attend a huge car show there this Fall, I wouldn't have renewed. I haven't used RCI for anything for myself in about five years.

Dave

deslagle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting works well with TUG. I have bought and sold a few timeshares on Redweek.com.
Between Redweek.com and TUG you can find a lot of good timeshare rentals for a good price.
TUG of course gives you a good relative idea of the value.

CAron1022

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where does a Tugger find the $700 and under rentals please? I'm new.

amybethqpf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread . . . this topic captures what I've been thinking about timeshare recently. We also used to own, but now just rent. We had a fixed week at Allen House in London, which ended in 2014 (I purchased resale, thanks to very helpful information I found on TUG back in 1998. It was sold on a 30-year lease basis; when I bought there were 17 years left.)

We used and enjoyed that timeshare nearly every one of those 17 years -- adhering to the mantra "buy where you want to vacation". One year we gifted the use of the week to our daughter and son-in-law; another year I rented it to a co-worker for just the maintenance fee, what a screamin' deal he got!

Reading the TUG boards, and realizing how much work it was to exchange with either RCI or II, I never joined either of those. I did a few in-house exchanges with Allen House to change dates. Modest fee (as I recall, perhaps 50 pounds?)

I've rented through TUG to get just the weeks and locations I wanted (Pompano Beach in February) and been very satisfied. In today's travel world, with AirBnB as well as VRBO, AFVC and a host of other consolidators, I find it quite easy to get the type of condo lodgings we prefer, and the price is always better than hotel stays.

Honestly, reading the threads about points, membership levels, having to reserve far ahead, dissatisfaction with inventory available, etc. etc. . . . just makes me tired. I don't want to work so hard for vacation!

I'm a happy camper renting the weeks and locations that work for me. But I DO love my TUG membership. Every timeshare stay, I've talked it up to people I meet at the pool. This is a great gathering place for information on travel and staying in self-catering accommodations.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I own timeshares, but I rented a 2-bedroom resort timeshare for the first time in July to fit my extended family. It was a very good experience. I found plenty of summer inventory in high demand places. Yes, prices can be higher than maintenance fees, but the convenience and flexibility was worth the extra price above maintenance. I rented through Redweek.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Where does a Tugger find the $700 and under rentals please? I'm new.

Although there may be pockets or locations where this makes sense, I am skeptical that this is universal based on where we travel. We always check if it is more cost effective to rent vs trade and 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper to own/trade.

I just priced out a 2bdrm rental at Maui Hill and it was $2100+ fees (VRBO $2,734 total) to $2793 (resort) for a July 4 week garden view. We are exchanging via RCI for a July 4 week and it will only be about $1100, trading hybrid points. If we used MF points only from our Vegas Hilton property to trade it would only be $658 for the entire week to trade. That's a savings of $2,135+ of owning vs. renting - we could afford an extra week of renting on that savings alone.

If you know how to find rentals at 4 star+ 2 bdrm accommodations on Maui or Waikiki that don't face a parking lot during late June to July for $700 and under, please let me know. P.S. The cleaning fees, security and rental fees also add significantly to the cost of VRBOs.

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Own 3. Can't use all weeks anymore. Not enough vacation time. The moment I can't recoup from rent. That's it I will unload!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/timeshare-rentals-offered.45/

It's under Last Minute Rentals Offered. There's smoking deals on there. I look forward to using that board in the future for taking cheap vacations.

If you are fortunate to be retired, flexible with your vacation, have time to dig for deals, can fit in a studio, and can travel at the last minute that certainly works.

For those of us who adhere to work schedules, need larger units, and/or peak times at premium locations, or need to book in advance to coordinate with family member schedules, then owning (with an occasional rental) seems be more cost effective.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you are fortunate to be retired, flexible with your vacation, have time to dig for deals, can fit in a studio, and can travel at the last minute that certainly works.

For those of us who adhere to work schedules, need larger units, and/or peak times at premium locations, or need to book in advance to coordinate with family member schedules, then owning (with an occasional rental) seems be more cost effective.
Even retired people like me want the known and owning for me is very cost effective. I like peak time travel in premium locations and only deal with studios when they are sitting on the beach.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Although there may be pockets or locations where this makes sense, I am skeptical that this is universal based on where we travel. We always check if it is more cost effective to rent vs trade and 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper to own/trade.

I just priced out a 2bdrm rental at Maui Hill and it was $2100+ fees (VRBO $2,734 total) to $2793 (resort) for a July 4 week garden view. We are exchanging via RCI for a July 4 week and it will only be about $1100, trading hybrid points. If we used MF points only from our Vegas Hilton property to trade it would only be $658 for the entire week to trade. That's a savings of $2,135+ of owning vs. renting - we could afford an extra week of renting on that savings alone.

If you know how to find rentals at 4 star+ 2 bdrm accommodations on Maui or Waikiki that don't face a parking lot during late June to July for $700 and under, please let me know. P.S. The cleaning fees, security and rental fees also add significantly to the cost of VRBOs.
I guess I was thinking of the pockets and locations that make sense. I think it would be hard to trade into an ocean front, high floor, 2-bedroom unit at Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas in July. Owning there would have annual maintenance fees of $2500 plus, and even then, getting July would take some luck. It was easy finding the week I wanted when I rented.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I guess I was thinking of the pockets and locations that make sense. I think it would be hard to trade into an ocean front, high floor, 2-bedroom unit at Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas in July. Owning there would have annual maintenance fees of $2500 plus, and even then, getting July would take some luck. It was easy finding the week I wanted when I rented.

How much did you pay to rent this unit in July? I'll bet it was more than $2500 as evidenced by the listings on Redweek.

catbro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
marriott Vail
Marriott Evergreen at Vail Prime Season. For get about it!!!!!

I would LOVE nothing more than to rent my floating week. We don't ski anymore and have no use for a prime ski week. MF is $1850/year. 25 years ago Marriott (we bought from resort) told us Marriott would rent our unit or we'd have no problem renting on our own. We now prefer Caribbean AI resorts or cruises and have no interest staying at the other Marriott resorts (we don't golf and just do not like the locations) and the II exchanges (mostly low quality) just don't fit our needs. We seriously tried renting a 2016 booked Presidents week online and on TUG for a very reasonable price (half the Marriott rack rate) and NEVER even had a single inquiry. I don't know if we're doing something wrong or if the market for Vail rentals is just not there. I've considered the time share exit program and it sounds pretty good but before that I am going to try selling points online to free up cash to take a vacation that I actually want. But, I've posted 2020 points for rent at $.65 / point and once again have had no inquiries.

Although I'm a 25 year owner of the Marriott timeshare, I am not savvy in exchanging or renting and maybe I'm just missing something. Oh, and I have the priviledge of transfrerring my week to Marriott for 125,000 MRP which used to get 7 nights/airfare 25 years ago but now gets ~ 3 nights at a Courtyard somewhere. If I don't rent the 2020 VCP, I have to get rid of this as it is just a drain on our finances.

Obviously, some of you have figured this out so any info and advise you can provide is definitely appreciated. Thanks.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
How much did you pay to rent this unit in July? I'll bet it was more than $2500 as evidenced by the listings on Redweek.

I don’t know about him but I rented the Marriott Maui ocean club 1 bedroom, ocean view from a nice fellow on redweek from January 6th to January 13 for 750 all in. He placed the ad in November and 1 snapped it up. I even got a flight deal to Maui for 489 all in . From January 13 to 20, I stayed at sands of Kahana, 1 bedroom ocean view for 500 rent for the week.
The trick I find is to have alerts on various places, TUG, Airbnb, Redweek, etc so you can act fast. I see those deals all the time thru my numerous alerts btw.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Marriott Evergreen at Vail Prime Season. For get about it!!!!!

I would LOVE nothing more than to rent my floating week. We don't ski anymore and have no use for a prime ski week. MF is $1850/year. 25 years ago Marriott (we bought from resort) told us Marriott would rent our unit or we'd have no problem renting on our own. We now prefer Caribbean AI resorts or cruises and have no interest staying at the other Marriott resorts (we don't golf and just do not like the locations) and the II exchanges (mostly low quality) just don't fit our needs. We seriously tried renting a 2016 booked Presidents week online and on TUG for a very reasonable price (half the Marriott rack rate) and NEVER even had a single inquiry. I don't know if we're doing something wrong or if the market for Vail rentals is just not there. I've considered the time share exit program and it sounds pretty good but before that I am going to try selling points online to free up cash to take a vacation that I actually want. But, I've posted 2020 points for rent at $.65 / point and once again have had no inquiries.

Although I'm a 25 year owner of the Marriott timeshare, I am not savvy in exchanging or renting and maybe I'm just missing something. Oh, and I have the priviledge of transfrerring my week to Marriott for 125,000 MRP which used to get 7 nights/airfare 25 years ago but now gets ~ 3 nights at a Courtyard somewhere. If I don't rent the 2020 VCP, I have to get rid of this as it is just a drain on our finances.

Obviously, some of you have figured this out so any info and advise you can provide is definitely appreciated. Thanks.

I would give it away on TUG. Someone else might like it. Better than forking out $$$ to exit teams that guarantee nothing. If you really want it gone, offer to pay transfer fees. Then, rent in the future.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I don’t know about him but I rented the Marriott Maui ocean club 1 bedroom, ocean view from a nice fellow on redweek from January 6th to January 13 for 750 all in. He placed the ad in November and 1 snapped it up. I even got a flight deal to Maui for 489 all in . From January 13 to 20, I stayed at sands of Kahana, 1 bedroom ocean view for 500 rent for the week.
The trick I find is to have alerts on various places, TUG, Airbnb, Redweek, etc so you can act fast. I see those deals all the time thru my numerous alerts btw.

Congrats on a great offer for MVC during whale season. It sounds like it is possible but one need to be very diligent and flexible to stay on top of these last minute deals. Unfortunately, trying to turn my family "ship" on such short notice would be next to impossible - especially before the holidays. We are also bound by school holidays so a great offer like this would not work for us. If we were retired, that would be a different story.