• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Southwest Airlines Priority Card Offers Plentiful Perks

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
New Southwest Airlines Priority Card Offers Plentiful Perks
By Chris McGinnis/ Travel/ SFGate/ sfgate.com

"Here's how to earn up to 65,000 Rapid Rewards points.

Chase and Southwest have unveiled the new Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, which offers more benefits than previous cards – but for a higher price. The new card's annual fee is $149 compared to the $99 Rapid Rewards Premier card. If you play your cards right, you can earn up to 65,000 points with this card.

Why pay a higher fee? Because you'll get more. The extra benefits with the Priority card include 7,500 bonus points on the anniversary of card membership; a $75 annual credit for travel on Southwest; as many as four "upgraded boardings" a year, depending on availability; and a 20 percent rebate on all in-flight purchases like drinks, Wi-Fi and movies. Those benefits easily cancel out the $149 annual fee-- but only if you use them...."

920x920.jpg

Photo: Southwest

Richard

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a bad deal, really - you get 80k towards the 110k you need for a companion pass by spending $15k. We don't usually pay for advance boarding, but it does make it a decent value for the annual fee. This is probably how we'll get the companion pass next year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Rick needs to get this card and a second SW card too, so he can have the companion pass again for 2019 and 2020. That has saved us a bundle this last few years. We were able to get that pass last January with the last of the Marriott packages, and it's been great to have the CP for basically two years.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Wait till end of November to apply. This way that first bill and your first 40K point bonus for 1K spend don’t hit till after January 1! MAKE SURE STATMENT CLOSING DATE WILL BE AFTER JANUARY 1 on that first 1K spend if you want to use to get almost 2 years of CP. If you already have card cancel it now if you won’t get renewal points this year. Chase will make you wait 60 days after cancelation to apply for a new card in same brand category normally.

The year you qualify you get the pass good for that year and all the following year.

I have had the CP for last 4 years sometimes just me and other times my wife too. I think we have taken around 30 free flights on them LUV SW!!!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rick needs to get this card and a second SW card too, so he can have the companion pass again for 2019 and 2020. That has saved us a bundle this last few years. We were able to get that pass last January with the last of the Marriott packages, and it's been great to have the CP for basically two years.
Companion fares are good. I just used one of our Alaska Air companion fares this week, and saved about $1050. From a card that has a $75 annual fees and sometimes has as little as $500 annual purchases.

Reaction score
Yes, the ache I feel every year when someone screws up the CP timing is awful. I haven't decided if we'll do two cards or book a crazy expensive hotel stay to earn the extra 30k points. I sure do miss those Marriott transfers...

And FYI, T_R, in case you aren't familiar, Southwest's companion pass is particularly interesting because it goes you unlimited companion fares for two calendar years. I'd have a hard time valuing it, because we do sometimes pay a bit of a premium for Southwest over, say, Frontier or Spirit - but the experience is leaps and bounds better.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
If l
Yes, the ache I feel every year when someone screws up the CP timing is awful. I haven't decided if we'll do two cards or book a crazy expensive hotel stay to earn the extra 30k points. I sure do miss those Marriott transfers...

And FYI, T_R, in case you aren't familiar, Southwest's companion pass is particularly interesting because it goes you unlimited companion fares for two calendar years. I'd have a hard time valuing it, because we do sometimes pay a bit of a premium for Southwest over, say, Frontier or Spirit - but the experience is leaps and bounds better.

Frontier, Aligent, Spirit May be cheap, but they nickel and dime you too death. But main reason I don’t like them. If a flight gets cancelled you may be SOL getting to destination for a few days.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a bad deal, really - you get 80k towards the 110k you need for a companion pass by spending $15k. We don't usually pay for advance boarding, but it does make it a decent value for the annual fee. This is probably how we'll get the companion pass next year.

How do you get 80K? 40K after $1,000 and 25K after $15,000.

We have been CP holders for a long time. Last one was with the MR travel package and expires at the end of this year. I closed all both my SW cards over a year ago in anticipation for applying for one at the end of this year for whatever sign up bonuses I could get work on getting the CP for 2019 & 2020.

As others mention - timing is everything.
First $1,000 spend has to be in 3 month.
Ideally you want that $1,000 spend statement to close in Jan 2019
Oct/Nov apply by date would work and hold off on spending.

My bet is this offering will not be around by then...…
UPDATE: Found it, offered ends 8/22/18
A good deal, but not going to work for CP obtainment for 2019/2020

Last edited:

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you get 80K? 40K after $1,000 and 25K after $15,000.

Well, you still earn at least one point per dollar for the spend, so by the time you get your 65k in bonus points, you'll have 15k in normal earnings.

I imagine they'll either extend or change the bonus before the end of the year. Worst case we'll have to get the business card, we've left him room on his 5/24 because that was the original plan...