• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta Fees (merged--post all info about fee increases here)

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So recently it got jacked up to I believe $25/adult/day for the "resort fee" for Exchanges via RCI (and possibly II).

I went to look at a booking at Grand Mayan Riviera Maya via my HGVC RCI account.
It states now:

"
  • Resort amenities fee is 630.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
    • Mandatory resort fee per 1B unit, per week.
  • Resort amenities fee is 1050.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
    • Mandatory resort fee per 2B unit, per week.
  • Resort amenities fee is 420.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
    • Mandatory resort fee per Hotel unit, per week.
"

This is definitely a change. No longer PER Adult, but per unit now. So if there's only 3-4 people in a 2 BR, you still pay $1050 (which by my math is $25 per 6 which is the max occupancy).

Wow!

Laurawilcox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono kai, kaui
I just spent a frustrating evening with RCI. I was with my high school daughter trying to book a place in Orlando as a graduation present. Everyplace that said they were available in May turned out to be the only or cash only so for example the Hilton was $1700 for two bedroom. We are sitting on 70 exchange points and our stock. If this is what they’re going to do or everything has a cash price why do we have a timeshare? The other thing is the Hilton Gardens were $25 a day for resort fee and others with additional $18 for parking.

Yikes. I put an ad in to see if anyone wants to swap for our Pono Kai, but don’t know how well that works on TUG.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm honestly not a fan of the mega resorts and those resort fees make it easy to pass on those exchanges.

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
So recently it got jacked up to I believe $25/adult/day for the "resort fee" for Exchanges via RCI (and possibly II).

I went to look at a booking at Grand Mayan Riviera Maya via my HGVC RCI account.
It states now:

"
"

This is definitely a change. No longer PER Adult, but per unit now. So if there's only 3-4 people in a 2 BR, you still pay $1050 (which by my math is $25 per 6 which is the max occupancy).

Wow!
There doesn't appear to be a resort credit on these reservations now either, but the unit costs may have dropped +-$200 per week so maybe a wash (based on full occupancy).

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
Doesn't appear to have hit Interval yet, but the price on a 2 bedroom Grand Mayan for the week I looked at was about $400 so cheaper than I remember. Its definately higher than past years but if I was $1450 for a two bedroom for a week, its still not bad value (just not as good).

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Quite the increase, though it used to be $30 pppd ($15 for kids). They did keep the 25% credit, but it also looks like they want the resort fee payment in advance based on the Grand Luxxe fees listing on RB71. They put together a website to detail what you get for it at https://www.premiumvacationbenefits.com/en/index.html, but it’s not much different than what it said on RCI before.

They do have different fees for some of the resorts. Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta is $420/700/$280 for 1BR/2BR/studio. Didn’t check the Sea Gardens or other resorts.

Still no fees listed for the platinum priority access units, though they still have the restriction against Vidanta owners using them.

It will be interesting to see what happens to availability there. Seems like a very steep one. On the other hand, it might be a boon for an owner renting out a week there without the fees.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be a resort credit on these reservations now either, but the unit costs may have dropped +-$200 per week so maybe a wash (based on full occupancy).

Sorry, I only posted the fee part.

Here's what the rest of the blurb says:

"
  • *Resort Fees are Mandatory. Members should pre-pay the Resort Fee 14 days prior to the check-in date * To prepay please call 844-909-4799 from the US and Canada, or contact us via email at prepayment@vidantarf.com *You will receive a Resort Credit for 25% of the Resort Fee at the time of check-in to use during you stay!
  • *For further details about Resort Fee benefits please visit www.premiumvacationbenefits.com *Reservations made less than 48 hrs prior to the check-in date will not be accepted. *Guest Certificate required if member is not traveling, and for multiple and consecutive reservations starting from the second confirmation, with different names on each reservation.
  • *Reservations are checked by ID and name. Reservations with the same name will be cancelled. *Multiple reservation must be in the same region and can be booked with different check in dates. *Consecutive reservations must start in the same day of the week and can be booked in different regions.
  • ***Resort Fee does not cover local taxes."

So *for me*, if I were to exchange via SFX for a 1 BR, the "cost" (with my HGVC exchange, etc.) runs about:
$699 (SFX Bonus week is about the same pricing). Plus $75 resort fee. For 4 people.

If I do this via my HGVC RCI account, it'll run:
$892 plus another $630. Regardless of how many people.

I think the last time I averaged about $300 for food/drinks for the week (I drink more than the rest). I think my sister's family of 4 was about $800 for the week. But she had a 2 BR unit when we went last time.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I only posted the fee part.

Here's what the rest of the blurb says:

"
  • *Resort Fees are Mandatory. Members should pre-pay the Resort Fee 14 days prior to the check-in date * To prepay please call 844-909-4799 from the US and Canada, or contact us via email at prepayment@vidantarf.com *You will receive a Resort Credit for 25% of the Resort Fee at the time of check-in to use during you stay!
  • *For further details about Resort Fee benefits please visit www.premiumvacationbenefits.com *Reservations made less than 48 hrs prior to the check-in date will not be accepted. *Guest Certificate required if member is not traveling, and for multiple and consecutive reservations starting from the second confirmation, with different names on each reservation.
  • *Reservations are checked by ID and name. Reservations with the same name will be cancelled. *Multiple reservation must be in the same region and can be booked with different check in dates. *Consecutive reservations must start in the same day of the week and can be booked in different regions.
  • ***Resort Fee does not cover local taxes."

So *for me*, if I were to exchange via SFX for a 1 BR, the "cost" (with my HGVC exchange, etc.) runs about:
$699 (SFX Bonus week is about the same pricing). Plus $75 resort fee. For 4 people.

If I do this via my HGVC RCI account, it'll run:
$892 plus another $630. Regardless of how many people.

I think the last time I averaged about $300 for food/drinks for the week (I drink more than the rest). I think my sister's family of 4 was about $800 for the week. But she had a 2 BR unit when we went last time.

Ha, replying to my own quote.

I do see that the wording for the 25% discount seems to imply it ONLY pertains to the resort fee.
No longer room charges, which is another huge increase, IMO.
Also appears it's the same fee/charge regardless of level (ie, Grand Mayan vs. Grand Luxxe, etc.)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Ha, replying to my own quote.

I do see that the wording for the 25% discount seems to imply it ONLY pertains to the resort fee.
No longer room charges, which is another huge increase, IMO.
Also appears it's the same fee/charge regardless of level (ie, Grand Mayan vs. Grand Luxxe, etc.)

I think you’re confusing the typical discount provided for room charges for doing an update with the resort fee credit. There is a problem with the prepayment because it prevents you from getting that discount on the resort fee, though. As far as the different levels go, the fee is the same, but it is different at different resorts NV v PV).

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you’re confusing the typical discount provided for room charges for doing an update with the resort fee credit. There is a problem with the prepayment because it prevents you from getting that discount on the resort fee, though. As far as the different levels go, the fee is the same, but it is different at different resorts NV v PV).

Well not really.

1) The wording from RCi's website is confusing. The bullet point specifically states 25% credit for the resort fee (does not state room charges), but then continues on: "...to use during you stay!"

2) If you click the subsequent link, (which you provided) that *does* state it's 25% discount to room charges.

3) My RCI account via HGVC shows the same fees for both Riviera Maya (Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan) as it does for Nuevo Vallarta (Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan, Grand Luxxe). $1050 for 2 BR, etc.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the new fees is
Equivalent to 5 adults: 5*$30*7=$1050 for 2 bdrm
Equivalent to 3 adults: 3*$30*7=$630 for 1 bdrm
Equivalent to 2 adults: 2*$30*7=$420 for studio

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s right for NV & RM. PV is lower. Didn’t look at PP or Acapulco yet.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
FYI - If you have a prior booked exchange into Vidanta via RCI at a lower $ resort fee
you can print your RCI confirmation that shows the date booked , AND page 2 shows the resort fee at time of booking .

Vidanta has always honored the fee amount at time of booking, BUT for peace of mind I would print it & bring it -

- Since: this is the 4th revision in the 2 years since mid 2016.

Last edited:

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
FYI - If you have a prior booked exchange into Vidanta via RCI at a lower $ resort fee
you can print your RCI confirmation that shows the date booked , AND page 2 shows the resort fee at time of booking .

Vidanta has always honored the fee amount at time of booking, BUT for peace of mind I would print it & bring it -

- Since: this is the 4th revision in the 2 years since mid 2016.
print it and bring it with you. no issues on my last trip to RM

Tradetimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite the increase, though it used to be $30 pppd ($15 for kids). They did keep the 25% credit, but it also looks like they want the resort fee payment in advance based on the Grand Luxxe fees listing on RB71. They put together a website to detail what you get for it at https://www.premiumvacationbenefits.com/en/index.html, but it’s not much different than what it said on RCI before.

They do have different fees for some of the resorts. Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta is $420/700/$280 for 1BR/2BR/studio. Didn’t check the Sea Gardens or other resorts.

Still no fees listed for the platinum priority access units, though they still have the restriction against Vidanta owners using them.

It will be interesting to see what happens to availability there. Seems like a very steep one. On the other hand, it might be a boon for an owner renting out a week there without the fees.

there are no fee with the platinum ??

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
there are no fee with the platinum ??

The RCI Platinum priority access resort ids seem to be excess ones from Registry and don’t have fees attached. They do have a limitation of one week per resort id per year and nonavailability for Vidanta owners. Good way for them to get potential sales customers.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
The RCI Platinum priority access resort ids seem to be excess ones from Registry and don’t have fees attached. They do have a limitation of one week per resort id per year and nonavailability for Vidanta owners. Good way for them to get potential sales customers.
registry also does not have fees on select resorts. Same vidanta just a few additional beyond traditional RCI that do not have fees. only way I will go back to vidanta with new fees...

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
registry also does not have fees on select resorts. Same vidanta just a few additional beyond traditional RCI that do not have fees. only way I will go back to vidanta with new fees...

Completely understandable. So far as I know, SFX and ICE still have the $75 resort fee there. In any case, I do the math before deciding if I’ll use RCI to go there; in some cases it’s less expensive than using Registry or paying a Vidanta usage fees; sometimes significantly less. That’s because I have a few very efficient trading timeshares. On the other hand, using Registry or going through Vidanta both have their benefits. We’ll see how things change once they open the park and the Estates.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
"
"

Wow!

I guess this new resort fee structure will make some exchangers think twice about exchanging into 2, 3, or 4 bedroom units with just 2 guests, since they will no longer be paying relatively low resort fees for such large units, if Vidanta has perceived this as a problem. Also, if the resort fees are paid upfront at time of exchange, this will prevent exchangers who don't read the fine print from being surprised by the resort fees when they arrive at the resort.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I guess this new resort fee structure will make some exchangers think twice about exchanging into 2,3,or 4 bedroom ......with just 2 guests, since they will no longer be paying relatively low resort fees for such large units.... if Vidanta has perceived this as a problem. .

I know on a RCI weeks - the TPU difference between a 1 bedroom & 2 bedroom was often only 2 or 3 TPU's / for some TUG members ; as little as an extra $ 30 total .

The other reason for the change to prepayment : (could be that) the current system slowed down front desk check in / check out .
This may have been a problem at peak times , for both hotel staff and guests .

Last edited:

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort fees for Grand Luxxe make some sense - but same fees for Mayan Palace!!!!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Resort fees for Grand Luxxe make some sense - but same fees for Mayan Palace!!!!

The Mayan Palace NV only has about 100 units - I am sure there are enough owners to fill those .
OR
an owner with a 20 year old / lower MF - 2 bedroom could book it at NV and make about $ 300 just renting for the resort fee of $ 1050 .

I am not sure what Vidanta will need to do to fill all the existing Mayan Palace units at RM ?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Mayan Palace NV only has about 100 units - I am sure there are enough owners to fill those .
OR
an owner with a 20 year old / lower MF - 2 bedroom could book it at NV and make about $ 300 just renting for the resort fee of $ 1050 .

I am not sure what Vidanta will need to do to fill all the existing Mayan Palace units at RM ?

I think they're converting some of them to Jungle Luxxe's, and Bliss units, so that's probably how they're getting around that.

But I could be wrong.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just saw a warning to that effect on the Registry Collection site. Guess I'll have to make a reservation for my one remaining credit with them this weekend. No info on how much they'll be, but it says they should be paid 14 days in advance, so I'm guessing they will be the same as the RCI & II ones. As a general rule, this seems to me to eliminate any benefit in using that method to exchange back in there, though it would still make it possible to get a higher level unit than you own.

Haven't checked yet, but I'll bet they impose the fees on the RCI platinum exchanges, too. Starting to raise their costs for everyone to match what it costs for owners, or at least get closer.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Just saw a warning to that effect on the Registry Collection site.

Haven't checked yet, but I'll bet they impose the fees on the RCI platinum exchanges, too. Starting to raise their costs for everyone to match what it costs for owners, or at least get closer.

Next sales pitch to existing owners : - will be to buy more weeks -so you can rent them out to folks who don’t want to pay resort fees .
LOL