• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

old 5 night travel packages values

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Hmm, I wonder if this is officially endorsed as available to all not just to MVC Owners or whether it is just a further example of agents not applying the requirement to be an Owner to qualify?
Well I was scolded by a MR rep in January for having the 5 night package in my account because our TS was somehow linked to my husband's account (even though our DSVII unit was technically owned by our living trust). She couldn't do anything about it at the time so gave up, but there's no way she would have let a non-owner get the 5 night package, imo. I don't think that this is Marriott policy, just poor training and enforcement on their part.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have never used a travel package before. I am planning some hotel trips but probably not until Oct or Nov of 2019.

If i get a Cat 9 Certificate now, and the hotel i want to book for Fall 2019 requires 50K points per night by then, will Marriott allow me to use the cert and make up the difference with additional points at the time i reserve? Or at least historically have they allowed you use additional points for the booking?

We are thinking Hong Kong, but have a few backup locations if that doesn't work out. Unfortunately the locations most appealing to us seem to be 50 plus per night on the new charts.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I have never used a travel package before. I am planning some hotel trips but probably not until Oct or Nov of 2019.

If i get a Cat 9 Certificate now, and the hotel i want to book for Fall 2019 requires 50K points per night by then, will Marriott allow me to use the cert and make up the difference with additional points at the time i reserve? Or at least historically have they allowed you use additional points for the booking?

We are thinking Hong Kong, but have a few backup locations if that doesn't work out. Unfortunately the locations most appealing to us seem to be 50 plus per night on the new charts.

I believe that will be the case due to the number of properties that will be going up in the number of points required per night (higher category). There will be many people holding travel packages or just plain accommodation certificates (not from a travel package) that will be needing to come up with more points to complete their stays.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score

There is no answer to this question at this time. No one knows what will happen to existing TP certs unattached to reservations. They could be: Converted to points that would be equivalent to today's categories. Converted to a certificate that would map form old categories to newer-so it would go down a bit. Or refunded at a lower rate as if we just did airline miles. (Last being worst option and frankly causing Marriott some trouble IMHO)

If you were getting a TP to sit on the certificate, I don't think that's a good idea-because it could lose value. Most people are getting them for the miles now.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
There is no answer to this question at this time. No one knows what will happen to existing TP certs unattached to reservations. They could be: Converted to points that would be equivalent to today's categories. Converted to a certificate that would map form old categories to newer-so it would go down a bit. Or refunded at a lower rate as if we just did airline miles. (Last being worst option and frankly causing Marriott some trouble IMHO)

If you were getting a TP to sit on the certificate, I don't think that's a good idea-because it could lose value. Most people are getting them for the miles now.

I would definitely have the miles sent to United right away. I live near a United hub, and am a million miler with UA, so the airline choice is pretty easy for me. I would book the hotel as well, but we already have some timeshare travel for the first half of the year, and my wife can't take more time off until later in the year.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the Marriott site and I could not find the redemption chart. I know I found last week. Thanks to KDS for the link. Also Dioxide gave me some good advice as well! :clap:

WorldTraveler1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you order the travel packages by the end of the month. After that Marriott is charging a lot more for travel packages and giving less miles. Im cashing in all of my marriott reward points for travel packages before the current travel packages are going to cost a lot more Marriott points.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you order the travel packages by the end of the month. After that Marriott is charging a lot more for travel packages and giving less miles. Im cashing in all of my marriott reward points for travel packages before the current travel packages are going to cost a lot more Marriott points.

I've seen numerous people planning to do this and wonder if I am missing something. I RARELY travel anywhere that I am staying 5 days in a row in the same hotel. When I do those kinds of trips, I think of MVC locations first. If that's the case, is the conversion value of the airline miles in the TP so good that it makes it worthwhile to grab a couple for that and then figure out how to use the certs? I know the YMMV stuff AND I know the TPs post-AUG 1 are not going to be attractive at all, so I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen numerous people planning to do this and wonder if I am missing something. I RARELY travel anywhere that I am staying 5 days in a row in the same hotel. When I do those kinds of trips, I think of MVC locations first. If that's the case, is the conversion value of the airline miles in the TP so good that it makes it worthwhile to grab a couple for that and then figure out how to use the certs? I know the YMMV stuff AND I know the TPs post-AUG 1 are not going to be attractive at all, so I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

It depends on how you plan to use the miles. For international business or first class the miles can be worth more than the value of the mrps for the entire package. This makes the travel package worth it for just the miles alone. The nights would be a freebie.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess that approach would suggest maximizing cat 5s, even if knowing most of my (wife’s) target resorts are 7+

I would at least think about it. How high are you valuing the miles? You are likely looking at 10,000 MRP's per night to upgrade the Cat 5 (new Cat 4) to a Cat 7 (new Cat 5). The redemption different between Cat 5 and 7 is 35,000 mrps. I hear that you have to upgrade all 5 nights rather than 4 and get the 5th free.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Ok, getting down to the wire and when my latest SPG purchase posts I'll have 1M reward points to work with. I'm splitting them between AA(3 @ 120K) and United(1 @132K getting me to 200K).

While I my primary goal is to maximize FF miles, I was thinking about a comment above concerning the possibility of Cat 6 and 7 being combined into a single cat in the new plan, and am leaning toward the Cat 6s....though still tempted by the Cat 7s.

I don't have any firm travel plans that allow the use of the TPs within the one-year window, so will have to see how things shape out after 1 August and hope for an extension into 2020.
My guess is I'll be having to come up with more points to upgrade the TPs, but nature of the beast at this point.

Based on spreadsheet magic I can 'afford':

1) Four Cat 1-5 @ 940K Points and 492K FF miles (leaving me with 60K points for 'as needed')
2) Four Cat 6 @ 1M Points and 492K FF miles

I could do three Cat 7s, but that only gets me 372K FF miles and leaves 190K in the bank.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
In the past, certificates ordered prior to a point rise were honored. Additional points were not needed.
True, but the new changes are an entirely new chart, so a new Cat 5 is not just an adjustment of the old Cat 5 points.

Wally3433

Reaction score
TXTortoise....are you going to be able to use all those certs? That would be my only concern. I suppose if you cannot use them, you could "sell" them to a close friend or family member to recoup some cash. This whole situation has me vexed as well, and the wife is dragging her feet on where to go, which is not making it easier. Knowing that the real value here is those miles, I would lean towards #1

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that having reserved a 7 night cat 9 for next May in London with a TP, I’ll not have any problem using it without extra points. However, I’m planning to order a 5 night TP for use next April in Chicago. I’ll not make a hotel reservation now since the hotel is currently a category 8, which will drop to a 5 in August. I don’t have enough miles for an 8 so I’m ordering a 7. Hopefully that will work. If not, there will be a large number of acceptable 4s available.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
As noted above, while I my primary goal is to maximize FF miles, I know our travel is to higher category resorts/locations.

I don't have any firm travel plans that allow the use of the TPs within the one-year window, so will have to see how things shape out after 1 August and hope for an extension into 2020.
My guess is I'll be having to come up with more points to upgrade the TPs, but nature of the beast at this point.

I know most folks are looking at the max FF column, but the following worked best for me with 1M MRPs to works with.

I'm basically giving up 40K FF miles from my original model to get a Cat 7 and a Cat 8.

2 - Cat 1-5 @ 215K; Total 430K MRPs AA @ 200K (2 @ 100K)
1 - Cat 7 @ 270K MRPs AA @ 120K
1 - Cat 8 @ 300K MRPs UA @ 132K
==========================================
1M MRPs & 452K FF miles

vs my original model..

1) Four Cat 1-5 @ 940K Points and 492K FF miles (leaving me with 60K points for 'as needed')

Still open to other thoughts before I pull the trigger... as the four Cat 6s still have some appeal. Future mapping is of course the issue.

Thoughts?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we have no plan to use additional accommodation over the next 12 months and even 24 months we went with two Cat 1-5 5-night travel packages. Done! We are now hoping they will refund some sort of reduced points to us when we have to cancel in 12 months' or 24 months time, unless they can extend beyond the 2nd 12 months.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
As noted above, while I my primary goal is to maximize FF miles, I know our travel is to higher category resorts/locations.

I know most folks are looking at the max FF column, but the following worked best for me with 1M MRPs to works with.

I'm basically giving up 40K FF miles from my original model to get a Cat 7 and a Cat 8.

2 - Cat 1-5 @ 215K; Total 430K MRPs AA @ 200K (2 @ 100K)
1 - Cat 7 @ 270K MRPs AA @ 120K
1 - Cat 8 @ 300K MRPs UA @ 132K
==========================================
1M MRPs & 452K FF miles

vs my original model..

Still open to other thoughts before I pull the trigger... as the four Cat 6s still have some appeal. Future mapping is of course the issue.

Thoughts?

We are doing the same math at approx. 1.5M in my account and leaving DW's account balance alone for future single night stays and TP upgrades. FF is a prime concern with actual destinations yet TBD. Looking at 5 or 6 packages total.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you book using a 5 or 7 night certificate? Do you have to call? I just tried and it does not auto attach or give the option like the single night awards.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Make the reservation and choose points as the payment and then call Marriott reservations and ask them to attach the appropriate certificate.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Make the reservation and choose points as the payment and then call Marriott reservations and ask them to attach the appropriate certificate.
I just had a bad experience trying just that...though it may speak more to the current state of Marriott customer service than actual policy.

Using points on the website I reserved what turned out to be the last room in Aruba available to be booked with points on those dates. 3 hours later with multiple escalations and time spent on hold they (and I) finally admitted defeat and I accepted a reservation a week later. My points reservation had blocked out their ability to use my 5 night certificate.

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although at that point, when they cancelled your original reservation, one would have thought that they would have been able to move your reward certificate to the earlier date.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just had a bad experience trying just that...though it may speak more to the current state of Marriott customer service than actual policy.

Using points on the website I reserved what turned out to be the last room in Aruba available to be booked with points on those dates. 3 hours later with multiple escalations and time spent on hold they (and I) finally admitted defeat and I accepted a reservation a week later. My points reservation had blocked out their ability to use my 5 night certificate.
I think the problem was to be able to attach the cert, you may have needed to call MR customer service. They are closed on the weekends.