• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Frenchman's Cove, get rental car or taxi?

atomarchio

Reaction score
We are interested in Frenchman's Cove and planning preview trip. However, we would prefer not to rent a car.

Is it easy to arrange for transportation to and from resort? If so, what do you suggest?

Also, are there stores within walking distance of the resort to purchase groceries?

Please let us know. Thanks.

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
We went 5 years ago. No stores or anything walking distance. It's off a hilly road. The roads are windy and hilly, and they drive on the left side of the road.

We chose to not rent a car. That trip was me, husband, and two kids ages 16 and 14. We had free checked luggage, so I packed one checked bag with just pantry items, to make shopping easier (and let's be real, cheaper). I brought along rice mixes, cereals, coffee, sweetener, spices, all our condiments like small ketchup, mayo, etc, I forget what else, but it was a lot for the week. Husband and I took a taxi (left kids at the resort) to a grocery store to buy booze, frozen burgers and chicken nuggets (not the healthiest but kids requested), fresh produce, drinks, bread, buns, etc. Groceries are pricey, and taxis charge per person so no need to drag kids along.

I grilled burgers one night. We ate some simple things in to just be casual, and otherwise ate out in town once and at the resort the rest of the time.

It was a chill vacation overall, but we got eaten alive by mosquitoes that came in whenever we opened the screen door to the porch.

Not a lot to do there honestly, and although I'm glad we went, I won't go back.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lot to do in St Thomas especially if you are only staying for a week. If you opt to stay in the resort there isn't much to do except eat at the resort, go to the same pool and beach every day and watch some great sunsets. If you rent a car or hire taxi's there are lots of things to do most of which you'll never have time for in on week. A car is much cheaper but if you are a timid driver then taxi's are the way to go. There are no screen doors that I'm aware of in the resort.

From the airport you'll have no trouble getting a taxi to the resort. It's $8 PP one way, $6 PP from the resort into town. The taxi rates are set by the government and are available on vinow.com. I don't know what your interests are but a trip to St John is always a nice day.

atomarchio

Reaction score
I appreciate your response.

How much do you think it would cost to rent a car for the week? Is it difficult driving?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

How much do you think it would cost to rent a car for the week? Is it difficult driving?

We were there for the first time 2 months ago.
We rented a car through Avis, which is right at the airport.
Mid size car was 325 for the week ( I think another 100 in tax was tacked on).

As noted above driving is on the left side of the road and the cars have steering wheel on the left so it is certainly a very different experience that takes getting used to. The roads are hilly, steep & winding and many signs are still down from the hurricane (be sure you have gps), but the speed limit is low- I think 40is the max. My SO did the driving and got used it pretty fast, I wasn’t eager to tackle it. We drove around a lot during the day, but didn’t drive at night. We didn’t use taxis but were told they were expensive.

I second the advice to bring some food with you- dry goods etc that you can pack. We found cost really varied- dairy was crazy expensive- I think it was $7 for small butter, but other things seemed reasonable. We ate out while we were out and cooked, snacked or ate at the resort restaurant in the evening (we were there with another family).

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

Should be about $300 or so for week. Driving is not difficult but it is very different. Most folks get used to it quickly you just have to pay attention to what you are doing. This is not the place to text and drive. Avis and Budget will let you take the car ferry to St John, Hertz will not.

atomarchio

Reaction score
When you paid for the taxi was it cash only or can you use a credit card?

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are planning a trip to Frenchman's Cove in September. We got a weekly rate of $237 for a Full-size car (Nissan Altima or similar, all taxes included) through Costco.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With us being a party of 7 I thought taxis would be expensive so I rented a minivan and got a very good deal through Costco as well. I'm alittle nervous about driving a bigger vehicle on the left side for the first time but plan on going very slow and I'm sure I'll be fine.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Frenchman's Cove in September. We got a weekly rate of $237 for a Full-size car (Nissan Altima or similar, all taxes included) through Costco.

Costco offers great rates. Also try AUTOSLASH. I got a tip about them on another thread and I'm saving some real money using them.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
With us being a party of 7 I thought taxis would be expensive so I rented a minivan and got a very good deal through Costco as well. I'm alittle nervous about driving a bigger vehicle on the left side for the first time but plan on going very slow and I'm sure I'll be fine.

It's not a big deal really. When the kids join us for a week I turn in the small car and get a van for the time they are with us, it's fine driving but parking in CA can be challenging. Just remember when you leave the airport there is a traffic light where you have to make a right turn. Keep saying to yourself "I'm going to go across the intersection and then turn right". Once you get by that you'll be OK. After you make the turn stay in the right lane all the way to the resort.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not a big deal really. Just remember when you leave the airport there is a traffic light where you have to make a right turn. Keep saying to yourself "I'm going to go across the intersection and then turn right". Once you get by that you'll be OK. After you make the turn stay in the right lane all the way to the resort.
Thank you this is a very helpful visualization and what I will start to drill into my head. I was starting to think of what the basic approach is and this is it. It really is just reverse of driving in the US. For a right turn you cross over the intersection and for left you don't.

Do they have circles or roundabouts I need to worry about?

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you this is a very helpful visualization and what I will start to drill into my head. I was starting to think of what the basic approach is and this is it. It really is just reverse of driving in the US. For a right turn you cross over the intersection and for left you don't.

None of that, you'll be fine.

atomarchio

Reaction score
So you can pay for taxis in St. Thomas with a credit card? Is that correct? Do they have uber?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island

I am thinking about going to MFC and have been using "driving on St. Thomas" on the youtube site as practice.

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Costco offers great rates. Also try AUTOSLASH. I got a tip about them on another thread and I'm saving some real money using them.

Jimf41: Is your Flicker album of Frenchman's Cove post hurricanes?

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Should be about $300 or so for week. Driving is not difficult but it is very different. Most folks get used to it quickly you just have to pay attention to what you are doing. This is not the place to text and drive. Avis and Budget will let you take the car ferry to St John, Hertz will not.
The Hertz ferry restriction has always been a problem for me. I usually prefer to use hertz because I use accumulated reward points from business travel. This week I was pleasantly surprised at the counter when the attendant said they now allow renters to use the ferry to St John. They are no longer a corporate location and changed the policy. But, because they are a franchise they wanted my proof of insurance which I have never needed. Short delay to download but will be prepared next time.

sox21

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
So you can pay for taxis in St. Thomas with a credit card? Is that correct? Do they have uber?
No Uber. I’ve used taxis many times but have only paid cash so I don’t know about credit. There is an atm in the lobby so easy to get cash.

goodbadugly

Reaction score
We are interested in Frenchman's Cove and planning preview trip. However, we would prefer not to rent a car.

Is it easy to arrange for transportation to and from resort? If so, what do you suggest?

Also, are there stores within walking distance of the resort to purchase groceries?

Please let us know. Thanks.
Definitely rent a car. Nothing is in walking distance. You will want to go to different beaches, restaurants/bars and food shopping.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
The Hertz ferry restriction has always been a problem for me. I usually prefer to use hertz because I use accumulated reward points from business travel. This week I was pleasantly surprised at the counter when the attendant said they now allow renters to use the ferry to St John. They are no longer a corporate location and changed the policy. But, because they are a franchise they wanted my proof of insurance which I have never needed. Short delay to download but will be prepared next time.

This change would be a pretty big deal - probably merits its own thread, esp on Vistana forum where St. John is a popular destination for weeklong trips (Westin St. John), not just daytrips.

I also prefer Hertz but generally use Avis in STT because we go to St. John.

Last edited: