• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI fee changes as per 7/1 both weeks and points.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see they split out "combine deposit" into both a 12 and 24 month expiration option. Which means a large increase from the original 24 month option that was done away with previously (or the recent 24 month promotion).

Just really hard on the Weeks side to get much value these days with the sky high TPUs needed at certain resorts and additional resort fees being added (not to mention 1 in 4 rules). I shouldn't have to exchange 3 prime weeks to have sufficient TPUs to make 1 exchange.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Most of my RCI use has been on the Points side.

I started this timesharing journey about 20 years ago with Fairfield (now Club Wyndham) points. I saw RCI Points as an opportunity to have the flexibility I enjoyed with Wyndham points in locations where Wyndham had no resorts.

The only thing I've ever deposited to RCI Weeks is my triennial contract at Massanutten (which, incidentally, was acquired solely to use for Points For Deposit, which I can no longer do. Oh well.) I have, however, enjoyed the bonus TPUs from paying the Massanutten MFs early. But since RCI has changed the fees and length of time for combining, that is no longer as appealing to me. In 2020 I will begin using my triennial week... I visit Massanutten every year anyway, usually via RCI extra vacation sales.

Until now, most of RCI's rule changes and fee increases have affected Weeks moreso than Points, therefore have had only minimal impact on my RCI use. RCI Points has served me well over the years... and, unless I'm able to unload the points contracts I have, I may be stuck for a while.

I know I can remove my weeks from RCI Points, but I don't have a use for the underlying weeks. So... this is just one more example of why it's better to buy what you want to use. Things change... lesson learned.

Reflecting on the current increases, $10 isn't that horrendous, but added to the other changes, and knowing the fees will likely continue at a rapid pace, my future relationship with RCI looks pretty bleak.

Now I just need to find a way out.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
Happy to hear RCI works for you. I have one timeshare that I love that is only part of RCI so I will probably stay a member reluctantly.

I am trying to see if I can get RCI to work better for me.

I am putting ogs far far in advance. I also will try using for last minute as that is where the deals are. Recently I was able to go to Disney for 10 tpu’s.
I hope you figure out a way to make it work.... I have points and after ALOT of reading and studying I have been able to make RCI work for me.... I also could not have done it without TUG.... I like many love to play the game but now we are more content going to Hilton Head Island, but in a few years I will be strategizing for another Bonnet Creek trip for Disney...... Dave

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I get a free RCI weeks account through my Wyndham unit. I dump my TPU generators in there and keep that account ONLY for trusted family and friends that want timeshare exchanges. I just give them the password and let them book themselves. I use II for my own exchanges. If it wasn’t for the fact that I get the account free, I would have to seriously consider closing that account. The fees are just too high now.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
also love/hate RCI. I have traded 5X into DVC and also to Smuggs, Banff, Marco Island, and Bermuda. Plus other random trades into HGVC, etc. I am nervous to put a HHI 4th of July beach week with SFX, or DAE, with no guarantee of what I'll get. I don't want to rent my HHI as it is too much hassle. So, RCI is good for us as we have sunk costs in our summer beach week (bought resale--but in 2006 when prices were higher). I don't want to give it away, but we are unlikely to ever use it again as kids are grown. Certainly not the most cost-effective, but allows us to get decent value out of it. That value is diminishing as RCI costs creep up. Membership, trade fee, and now extending RCI points fees add up. But still less (even with DVC fee) than DVC maintenance fee.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I have points and after ALOT of reading and studying I have been able to make RCI work for me.... I also could not have done it without TUG.
THIS!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
also love/hate RCI. I have traded 5X into DVC and also to Smuggs, Banff, Marco Island, and Bermuda. Plus other random trades into HGVC, etc. I am nervous to put a HHI 4th of July beach week with SFX, or DAE, with no guarantee of what I'll get. I don't want to rent my HHI as it is too much hassle. So, RCI is good for us as we have sunk costs in our summer beach week (bought resale--but in 2006 when prices were higher). I don't want to give it away, but we are unlikely to ever use it again as kids are grown. Certainly not the most cost-effective, but allows us to get decent value out of it. That value is diminishing as RCI costs creep up. Membership, trade fee, and now extending RCI points fees add up. But still less (even with DVC fee) than DVC maintenance fee.

I though with DAE you could search for availability first without depositing. Did that change now with the RCI takeover?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I get a free RCI weeks account through my Wyndham unit. I dump my TPU generators in there and keep that account ONLY for trusted family and friends that want timeshare exchanges. I just give them the password and let them book themselves. I use II for my own exchanges. If it wasn’t for the fact that I get the account free, I would have to seriously consider closing that account. The fees are just too high now.
You still pay it’s taken with your maintenance fee, but if you choose not to belong to RCI the maintenance fee would still be the same.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I though with DAE you could search for availability first without depositing. Did that change now with the RCI takeover?

After RCI took over DAE the searches have brought back zero. And sadly I mean that literally not figuratively.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
My points account has become all but worthless. I unfortunately have a high $-to-point ratio, so the only way I have been able to make points work for me is to grab the last-minute deals that were supposed to be available on weeks units; i.e., weeks units at 45 days or less were supposed to go for something like 7,500 points. Well that window has become smaller and smaller over the years to the point where it was down to under 2 weeks to get the deal. But now, even last-minute availability for as late as a few DAYS is only offered at full points value. For example, a weeks unit I saw today for check-in on June 9 was up for 42,000 points. The same unit could be had in weeks for 15 TPU. My $-per-TPU cost is much better. My points commitment has one more year to run and then I'm going to either give away that unit or let it convert back to a weeks unit. I get shaved on the points anyway (costs me 10k more points to trade back in to the same unit as I get in my allotment).

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanges up $9......so my week on the strip in Las Vegas just went from $410 to $419.....I think I'll keep it ! The exchange fee was greater than the "cost" of the week (#TPU x Cost TPU)...but still a great deal.

So far, this continues to be MUCH cheaper than trying to rent 1 and 2 bedrooms condos anywhere I go.

Last edited:

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
My RCI membership expires in a few months and I won't be renewing. I've only made two exchanges in the almost five years I've been a member. When I initially joined, it was to gain access to HGVC resorts and DVC resorts. I never did trade into DVC since they don't deposit anything bigger than one bedroom units anymore and HGVC trades now include an incremental junk fees on exchanges. There's just no value to be had from RCI in my personal situation.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For those who care... this is the email response I received from RCI after sharing my opinion (using the feedback tab on their website) about rapidly increasing fees. The part in bold made me laugh out loud... I'm not buying it. Fee increases of some sort have occurred 3-4 times (or more) in just the past 2 years. And then there are the special resort fees some resorts charge ONLY for RCI exchanges.

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We understand any change in pricing can be a sensitive issue. RCI is dedicated to providing members with the highest quality of service possible, but this does come with a cost. Please be assured that we make every effort to limit fee changes and only implement them after careful consideration.

In order to continue to provide the quality services our members expect, fee adjustments have been made to some RCI services. However, discounted multiple-year renewal options continue to be available, and special renewal rates as well as other discounts may be offered from time to time. Please be sure to check the "My Offers" section of your online account for any current specials.

Thank you for choosing RCI.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Used RCI a lot over the past 5-6 years. Mainly because they have needed locations that others didn't, the TPU system used to be fair, and the exchange fees were once reasonable.

All that has changed, except they still have a lock on some locations that others don't offer. Will trade into those for 2019, then probably quit them.

One example - units that used to go for 16 TPUs in a non-prime season when we travel were jacked up to 25. We need 2-4 of these for a trip we're stringing together. Sick.

Availability also seems quite a bit lower, as I've perused their offerings regularly for years, and can tell.

The combine TPU fee is a total rip off. I earned and paid for those TPUs, why should we have to pay again just to add them up with a plus sign when the same number sits in our pool as separate groups of smaller TPUs? This is utterly ridiculous.

Wake up RCI. Your days are numbered.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Used RCI a lot over the past 5-6 years. Mainly because they have needed locations that others didn't, the TPU system used to be fair, and the exchange fees were once reasonable.

All that has changed, except they still have a lock on some locations that others don't offer. Will trade into those for 2019, then probably quit them.

One example - units that used to go for 16 TPUs in a non-prime season when we travel were jacked up to 25. We need 2-4 of these for a trip we're stringing together. Sick.

Availability also seems quite a bit lower, as I've perused their offerings regularly for years, and can tell.

The combine TPU fee is a total rip off. I earned and paid for those TPUs, why should we have to pay again just to add them up with a plus sign when the same number sits in our pool as separate groups of smaller TPUs? This is utterly ridiculous.

Wake up RCI. Your days are numbered.
Totally agree. It is starting to feel like a death spiral. As recently as 2013 the exchange fee was $139. Over a 70% increase in 5 years with no associated increase in benefits or level of service. There are other choices.

I used to give them our Carlsbad Seapointe week 32 regularly. It wasn't the best trader, but when I received 50 tpu's it was good enough. It surely was a nice unit for them to have in exchange inventory. Then they cut it to 36 (are you kidding me?) and messed around with the combine fee (which is truly bs) and I stopped. I am sure that I'm not the only one actively looking into alternate choices even though they have increased the tpu's again - up to 42. I haven't made a deposit of any of our units in over three years and will close my account as soon as we take our final trip later this year.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. It is starting to feel like a death spiral. As recently as 2013 the exchange fee was $139. Over a 70% increase in 5 years with no associated increase in benefits or level of service. There are other choices.

I used to give them our Carlsbad Seapointe week 32 regularly. It wasn't the best trader, but when I received 50 tpu's it was good enough. It surely was a nice unit for them to have in exchange inventory. Then they cut it to 36 (are you kidding me?) and messed around with the combine fee (which is truly bs) and I stopped. I am sure that I'm not the only one actively looking into alternate choices even though they have increased the tpu's again - up to 42. I haven't made a deposit of any of our units in over three years and will close my account as soon as we take our final trip later this year.

Wow when you run the actual numbers that is horrific. I would think inflation in that time was well below 10%. Does anyone have Wyndham timeshare sales numbers? Are they going down? I could see these increases as they figure they have a captive audience and new suckers...I mean buyers... aren't as plentiful.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I wish more people would use the small independents like Trading Places if they have fixed weeks. It would make it so much better for the rest of us as there would be more inventory.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I wish more people would use the small independents like Trading Places if they have fixed weeks. It would make it so much better for the rest of us as there would be more inventory.
By next spring all my rci tpus weeks I traded for will be used. I have one Resort still only affiliated with RCI so hopefully in Trading Spaces it can trade if I need to.

Bye bye RCI, whereas I can see some of your good attributes you are not for me. Now I remember all the reasons I left you years ago.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading Places is probably my favorite of the independents, but I can't recall - did II buy them in the past few years but keep them separate?

The one drawback I have with them is their upgrade fee to get a bigger bedroom unit, even only one room bigger, is pretty steep if I recall. Haven't used them for a few years though, after more regular use previously.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Trading Places is probably my favorite of the independents, but I can't recall - did II buy them in the past few years but keep them separate?

The one drawback I have with them is their upgrade fee to get a bigger bedroom unit, even only one room bigger, is pretty steep if I recall. Haven't used them for a few years though, after more regular use previously.

They merged with VRI or something like that.

I agree about the upgrade fees. I was mad when I had to pay $50 more- giving them a 2 bedroom for a 1 bedroom. True- it was technically a white week (Oct 22 in VT-Smuggs) for a so called red week on Cape Cod at Yarmouth (the weeks after Labor Day). But you can't compare the unit I gave up for the one I am getting.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I was wondering what I can do with 3 exchange value. Most resorts you need 4 minimum to go to all inclusive resorts. Is there a market for these?
Thanks,
Steve
They have some check the Deals tab on a search, lots of 3 coming up. RCI also gave me $60.00 reduced exchange fee! Says it will be available until September.
Silentg

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the $60 exchange discount too. I asked via chat how I qualified for it and got a BS answer that didn't even apply to me. Then I asked why I didn't get the discount on the exchange I had done literally a few minutes earlier. Again I got a nonsense answer but when I pushed the rep gave me it to shut me up because one part of the nonsense answer was that the discount is for ONE exchange and not a discount that applies to ALL exchanges done prior to the September deadline - which the 'offer' didn't seem to specify.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From the website:

"Combine your deposit today and get one more year - that's a total of two years - for only $20 more! Offer expires 8/31/2018."

This tells me their fee increases are backfiring and people aren't combining deposits --OR-- perhaps they raised the fee so we would be happy to get a limited time offer discount (which is still higher than the previous fee that extended for 2 years.)

Either way, No thanks!!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Anyone who gets into timesharing and doesn't grasp or expect that not only will their maintenance fees go up but so will the exchange company fees shouldn't have a timeshare. This is something we have no control over and isn't going to be changed because we don't like it. Exchange companies are a for profit business and like any business the prices are going to go up. Your choices are accept it or get out. And the hard reality is that they don't care if you leave.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I wish more people who complain about RCI would use the TUG service. It’s completely free.