• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggest the ideal HGVC resale for me

mapsd

Reaction score
What would you suggest as the ideal resale for me to seek out?
  • Usually will want a 2BR, sometimes 3
  • Not super flexible on when we vacation, & like to reserve well in advance
  • Definitely want Platinum
  • Usually don't visit the same place twice. Gulf coast FL is most likely for return visit
  • Travel to Europe every few years
  • Ok with paying extra for something really nice
  • Love having a great view from the deck

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
If you don't plan on usually visiting the same place twice, does it matter where you buy? The most points for the best combination of buy in price and maintenance fees is usually the way to go. With the exception of the by Hilton Club properties, as long as you have the points, you can go just about anywhere. If there is a really nice place you plan on visiting often, buy there.

Now someone more knowledgable than me may know better, but I would say that a 2 br platinum with 7000 points would be a great starting point. Even though you might never go there, Vegas TS's usually have the best points per MF. This is linked in the above section, but @GT75 has put together a great spreadsheet that gives the points per MF.

My humble opinion would be a Vegas times share. The buy in's may be a little higher, but the MF's will make up for it in the long run. There's three 7000 point platinum 2 br units at the Vegas Paradise property between $7000 and $8000 on the Tug marketplace right now. Just a reminder, many of the Hilton properties have ROFR. That means that Hilton can buy them back if they think it's a good deal. Any of the affiliates (SW Florida, Valdoro, Marbrisa, Bay Club, etc.) along with the Flamingo don't have that in their deed. Here is a link to the ROFR data base that shows some trends on the buybacks. It only shows what people have put in so it's missing some transactions, but it's a good start.

If buy in cost is more important, there are some 2 BR platinum, 7000 point Bay Club units for sale on the Tug marketplace for around $1500. Great buy in price, but the MF's are around $1500 a year.

Good luck! You've come to the right place for help!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Great response, dayooper. I would just add that you might consider 8400 points since you say sometimes you want a 3BR. The extra points would give you a little more flexibility to add some extra days or split into two smaller stays. I think an ideal 8400 point week would be a Platinum 2BR Plus LV Strip. This has the same MFs as the 7000 point 2BR week, so it's MF/point ratio is very good. They will cost a bit more upfront, but would probably make up the difference in the MF savings over the years.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Almost forgot. Here is a link to a list of the HGVC properties and affiliates. It has information, such as resort maps, floor maps, descriptions of rooms and resort grounds, videos of the resorts, room codes and more on most of the properties. Quite a few have extensive pictures taken by Tuggers. I found it helpful when looking at what property to buy.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great response, dayooper. I would just add that you might consider 8400 points since you say sometimes you want a 3BR. The extra points would give you a little more flexibility to add some extra days or split into two smaller stays. I think an ideal 8400 point week would be a Platinum 2BR Plus LV Strip. This has the same MFs as the 7000 point 2BR week, so it's MF/point ratio is very good. They will cost a bit more upfront, but would probably make up the difference in the MF savings over the years.

Kurt

I agree with you on the 8400 points. If I didn't find such a good price on the Flamingo unit I am in the process of purchasing, I would have actively looked for a 1 BR Grand Plus at Elara. It's 7800 points with an $890 MF. 7800 points would give the flexibility to get a 3 BR every so often while still not having the burden of the buy in and higher MF's of most 8400 point timeshare. I have seen a couple listed around $8500.

mapsd

Reaction score
Affiliate vs true HGVC?
What are the differences?

I anticipate we’d go the RCI route often to get more locations.
Does that make a difference?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Affiliate vs true HGVC?

Not really. Points are points and they all go into the same bucket as long as it's an HGVC managed affiliate. Long time Tug member @Talent312 explained it perfectly in this post from earlier in the year:

I own both a "true" HGVC resort (Seaworld) and an affiliated resort (Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation). I can tell you that the distinction is virtually meaningless. The points from each are co-mingled in a single account and treated eggsactly alike. I need to cancel my "pre-assigned" week each year at the affiliate to get the points, but at others (Bay Club) that's not necessary.

The purchase price for an affiliate is often significantly lower (I paid -0- PBC) and the fees to join are significantly lower (just a "voluntary activation"). But you do need to be careful that, as GT75 points out, the affiliate offers HGVC membership - and is not just sharing inventory. Elara is a special case: Some TS's there are actually Westgate TS and have no affiliation with HGVC.

Some caution that a resort might drop it's HGVC affiliation - one affiliate terminated HGVC's management a few years ago - but the members there still kept their membership. So I'd say: Don't worry about it.

There is no trading of points or conversion to RCI points. You book RCI weeks or points resorts with your HGVC points, and your HGVC account is charged based on size + season you book. Generally, a 2BR RCI Red Week is run 4800 points and a 1BR Red Week is 2400 points, but you don't have to book a full week, either.

The nice thing about the affiliates is there is no right of first refusal on those. They will sell for what ever the buyer and seller agree on.

Some say HGVC isn't good to trade into RCI with. The return on your MF's isn't as good as other traders would be. HGVC units are generally higher quality than most RCI units. If you are going to trade more in RCI than stay at HGVC resorts, but still want HGVC, I would go with the lowest MF per point I could find on a 7000 platinum. Again, Vegas would be your best bet, in my opinion.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way I calculate my annual cost per week is MFs plus 10% of the initial costs (price paid plus closing costs etc).

One option that is most overlooked even if economical now is Hilton Craigendarroch lodges in Scotland . You can get a 2 bedroom platinum 7k points with MFs about $820 per year (converted from GDP), no ROFR and it trades both in RCI and Interval International!
Yes, you have to take into account future exchange fluctuations but I do not feel that in the short-medium term the exchange rate will turn against you because of problems in Europe: debt crises, brexit, fractured and bureaucratic decision making etc.
upload_2018-6-16_10-46-35.png

You also have to take into account the possibility that the HGVC cancels the partnership with the resort but i find this unlikely because HGVC owns the sister resort Hilton Craigendarroch suites and they share the management. Also, my understanding is that even if the affiliation ends in the future, current owners will keep their HGVC membership.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Affiliate vs true HGVC?

True HGVCs only trade in RCI. Some, not all affiliates, trade in both RCI and Interval International. Interval international has many more high end resorts then RCI making it worth it to trade.

Whereas my initial HGVC property was a true HGVC, with my ones after, One of the reasons I chose HGVC affiliates was to have the flexibility to trade in Interval.

Be aware you would pay an annual membership fee in Interval International and an annual membership fee in HGVC if you enrolled your affiliate in HGVC system and it was your only HGVC week in the system. You only pay one annual HGVC fee even if you have multiple units.

mapsd

Reaction score
Is the only advantage to owning a specific site that you get first crack to book it?

mapsd

Reaction score
How rare is it for an affiliate site to be dropped by HGVC?
Reasons for being dropped?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is the only advantage to owning a specific site that you get first crack to book it?

Depends on the resort. Affiliates like the SW Florida resorts you are usually deeded a week and can convert them to points if you want to. HGVC developed resorts, you can reserve your home season and unit 12 months in advance. Everybody else can book at the 9 month mark. Obviously there are exceptions with specific resorts, but they generally follow that rule.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Bay Club although an affiliate is a bit of a special relationship. The land that Kohala is build on is land the was owned by the Bay Club. So their is a tight affiliation there. HGVC is optional but I think a large number of owners have converted

Most of the SW Florida resorts are optional HGVC, but not as many prime week owners have converted. The HOA kicked out HGVC in one of the locations, but those with HGVC points are STILL HGVC points, as is Sunset Cove owners.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
  • Not super flexible on when we vacation, & like to reserve well in advance
  • Usually don't visit the same place twice. Gulf coast FL is most likely for return visit
  • Travel to Europe every few years
So why do you want to buy a HGVC timeshare? :ponder:

JMHO..

Don't base your purchase decision simply on the Hilton name or what you might have heard from a Hilton timeshare presentation.
I suggest that you take some time to research before you act on anything you heard from the sales guys. Try to learn as much as you can about Hilton's timeshare system ("reality" vs "fantasy"). Think about where you want to go. Look at the locations offered by HGVC. One size doesn't fit all. You'll have to decide what's best for you and your family.

Whatever you decide, don't put all of your future vacation dollars into timesharing.
This will give you the flexibility in the future to choose the best way to visit your desired destinations. There might not be a timeshare at the location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange. You may also want to visit a destination in an entirely different way via a cruise, hotel/resort stay, special discounted travel package, tour company, beach house rental, etc.

I also don't believe that one should put all of their eggs into one basket.
HGVC doesn't satisfy all of my vacation needs and why I don't put all of my vacation money into timesharing in general.

Here are some posts that you might find helpful

mapsd

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.
If we buy, it wil be about 1/3 of our travel budget/time.

Won’t need to finance. Just like the idea of knowing what we’re getting & used to having a lot of amenities.

I like researching our trips now, so will definitely put in the time prior to pulling the trigger.

Can’t believe what a good resource this site has been already!

mapsd

Reaction score
So, if my goal is a 2BR platinum in Vegas, what are the HGVC owned (I’d prefer) properties there?
Matter at all which one?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are strictly going for low MF’s, you want the Boulevard (AKA on the Strip). Excepting The Scotland properties, they have the lowest MF’s. You can get a 2 bedroom premium for MF’s around $845 a year. That gets you 7000 points. Yes can get a penthouse (premium) 2 bedroom at the Boulavard worth 8400 points for the same MF, but your entry point will be much higher. The Paradise property is slightly more, around $940 for a 7000 point 2 bedroom. The Flamingo is slightly more than that at $1012. The Elara property can get you a 1 bedroom worth 7000 points for a similar entry price with MF’s around $890. If you can find a grand plus 1 bedroom at Elara, you can get 7800 points for the same MF’s for around the same or slightly higher entry price as the other Vegas properties. The Trump towers are expensive and the return on MF’s would be poor for using it to go to other HGVC properties.

The spreadsheet linked above gives the breakdown of MF’s per points. It’s a great resource and, if MF’s are your biggest factor, it should used when making your decision.

One last thing, make a decision that you are happy with. If there is a property that you like, it may be worth the higher MF’s to get the first crack at reservations. I know many people will buy the Hawaii properties because they live it there. They may not get a chance to book their favorite resort and room type if they didn’t own there. The Vegas properties are nice. My wife and I like Vegas so we had no reservation about buying there.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

mapsd

Reaction score
Still doing our research, but still interested.
Question: Once we've identified our ideal situation in terms of points, location, season, etc..., is there a "buyer's broker" that can help us search and take care of the paperwork involved?
Or will we need to hunt ourselves across the various websites/listings?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Question: Once we've identified our ideal situation in terms of points, location, season, etc..., is there a "buyer's broker" that can help us search and take care of the paperwork involved?

I dunno of any buyer's-brokers for TS. Any you find might ask you to pay for their services.
TS brokers work on such slim commissions that sharing would keep both from making any $$.
Your better bet is to search the listings here on TUG, Redweek & brokers recommended here.

mapsd

Reaction score
I dunno of any buyer's-brokers for TS. Any you find might ask you to pay for their services.
TS brokers work on such slim commissions that sharing would keep both from making any $$.
Your better bet is to search the listings here on TUG, Redweek & brokers recommended here.
Kinda what I figured, but I'd be OK with paying a finder's fee if they could locate our dream situation.

How many different sites do we need to search to get a good selection?
Seems like some are tougher to search as HGVC-specific.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still doing our research, but still interested.

Kinda what I figured, but I'd be OK with paying a finder's fee if they could locate our dream situation.

How many different sites do we need to search to get a good selection?
Seems like some are tougher to search as HGVC-specific.

What is your dream situation?

mapsd

Reaction score
What is your dream situation?
Still a work in progress and open to suggestions. Our first experience with Time Shares, so we want simple and easy to navigate thru.
Since we're rookies and don't know all the ins & outs of booking, want something that will make it easier to get the reservation we want, even if the cost is a little higher. Live everyone, we want a good value.

Figure some items are a Must, some are a Like:
-Platinum season
-Every year
-A HGVC property (not an affiliate)
-Comes with the HGVC membership (don't need to buy)
-8400+ points
-Acceptable (low) Maint fees
-Location not really an issue, but if we could choose it would be gulf coast FL
-Good price (of course)
-Trustworthy/reliable agent to walk us thru the paperwork

Any other criteria I'm missing?

Last edited:

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
EOY shouldn't be a deal breaker IMO if the point value is high enough. You are allowed to borrow from next year's points without an extra fee, so if you bought (for example) a 14,400 point week for Kingsland, you could use 7,200 points every year in club reservations. There is a fee to "save" points that would otherwise expire at the end of a calendar year.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I could be wrong, but I believe that all of the Gulf Coast resorts are affiliates. There are 4 HGVC developed resorts in Orlando and and 1 in South Beach.

Trying to find a 2 or 3 bedroom plus would be my route. That would give you 8400 or 9600 point respectfully. The nice part about that is you would be paying the regular 2 or 3 bedroom MF’s.

Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach has a 2 bedroom plus (8400 points) listed for $12,000 listed on myresortnetwork.com. (Diane Nadeau is the broker). The kicker is you pay 2 bedroom MF’s of $995. Ocean 22 is a fairly new resort and the 2 bedroom plus is ocean view. I may be wrong, but I think there is a reason those MF’s are so low and won’t be permenantly low. Someone else may have the scoop on that.

Anderson Ocean Club has some 9600 point three bedrooms listed there as well. Their 3 bedrooms have MF’s around $1400.

If you are willing to look at affiliates, Bay Club on the Big Island has some really low prices. The MF’s are high, but the amount saved on the buyin would offset the MF’s for years.

I’m not saying any of these are good deals or not. This is what’s available now. Keep an eye open for what you want.

Last edited: