• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Vista vs Grande Chateau

mintee

Reaction score
Would love your opinion- Looking at both- basically almost the same resale price platinum floating for 2 bedroom lock off units- would be buying for exchanging through interval- Same quality resorts? Think they both have the same trading power? My only hesitation on buying into Orlando is that there are so many choices AND if DVC ever joins Interval I believe they block out a 30 mile area for owners of other local Orlando time share owners. I have never been to Vegas- but would love to finally go- def will be going to Orlando at least 4 times in the next 2 years and would either stay at GV or trade if I own GC- my wish would be to be able to trade with II to Hawaii once, Ocean Watch and Hilton head and even try into Vistana through II for Atlantis and Westin Lagunamar- think it would be possible with either GV or GC property- does one have a better odds than the other?? And no- I am not looking for high demand or holiday- very flexible
Thanks for your opinion and knowledge

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would love your opinion- Looking at both- basically almost the same resale price platinum floating for 2 bedroom lock off units- would be buying for exchanging through interval- Same quality resorts? Think they both have the same trading power? My only hesitation on buying into Orlando is that there are so many choices AND if DVC ever joins Interval I believe they block out a 30 mile area for owners of other local Orlando time share owners. I have never been to Vegas- but would love to finally go- def will be going to Orlando at least 4 times in the next 2 years and would either stay at GV or trade if I own GC- my wish would be to be able to trade with II to Hawaii once, Ocean Watch and Hilton head and even try into Vistana through II for Atlantis and Westin Lagunamar- think it would be possible with either GV or GC property- does one have a better odds than the other?? And no- I am not looking for high demand or holiday- very flexible

Actually, if you buy at Grande Vista the chances are very good that this Villa would belong to the Florida Club, and you would in essence be able to book thru Marriott (at the 6 month mark) any of the other four resorts instead of Grande Vista (two of which are directly on the ocean) .....

Do some research on the Florida Club as it may be of some interest to you.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Both are likely good choices. Two high demand destinations for tourism worldwide, which will likely trade via II nearly the same.

I would look at the following:
  • Which would you travel to personally most (if either)? Always good to own where you may travel to.
  • Resale cost difference, if any..
  • Difference in annual MFs
  • What season you want (Plat, Gold, etc). I suggest Plat for highest II demand.
  • What size villa you want (1BR, 2BR, 3BR). Both resorts have lock-offs.
  • Difference in DC Pts value (you cannot enroll resale, but may be of interest in future if MVC allows)
  • Grande Vista has Florida Club option (for most deeded weeks, not all)
  • Grande Chatea can split a 2BR into 1BR/1BR for II exchanges. No efficiency.
We own two 2Br Plat weeks at Grande Vista and have used them extensively to travel to other MVC resorts via II. Including Hawaii, Aruba, St Kitts, Boston, Hilton Head summer, Palm Desert spring break, Park City Christmas, etc. The list goes on. We've found as long as we book a high demand (TDI) platinum week at MGV and request our II exchange early, it will come through if you are patient.

As TheTimeTraveler indicated, the Florida Club is a nice additional option within 6 months at MGV. I've personally used FC, but rarely. I find II easier to use for exchanging and you can request much farther in advance than 6 months which ups your chances of a match. Not all MGV resorts deeds include FC, so make sure you double check the deed on the week you are purchasing if you want FC.

If I had to do it over, I would still own at MGV. Reasonable MFs, strong II exchanges, nice resort, etc. However, I would have likely bought the 3BR units. They are very large and worth it in my opinion for the small extra in resale price and annual MFs. With II, you can then lockout and still have a full 2BR plus an efficiency to exchange.

For Grande Chateau, I think it's 2BR locks-off into a 1BR Master and 1BR Master via II. This is valuable, as you will not be exchanging an efficiency (lower demand). Something to think about. Others can confirm to make sure I'm correct. I'm not sure if the 3BR splits into a 2BR/1BR?

I suggest buying Plat season and reserving the highest TDI week you can within your season when exchanging via II.

Good luck. You cannot go wrong with either if using primarily for exchanging in my opinion.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
They are two difference resorts. Grande Vista cater to families with growing children that loved theme parks, family shows, NBA basketball, NFL football, ML baseball, golf & entertainment.
Grande Chateau cater to the adult population (that love to gamble, high end shopping malls, golf & adults entertainment shows).
DVC left Interval I several years ago and I, do not feel they will return to Interval I in near future that IMHP.

Both are excellent resorts.

Last edited:

mintee

Reaction score
Thanks to all your help! Do you know if they both have the same check in day options? Do you have to check in on Thurs/Fri/Sat or Sun with lock off? I have read up about the split week unit and understand that you can not do split weeks and lock off at the same time- just curious since for cheer we sometimes have to stay from Thurs-Tues -odd check in or out dates (if they make you check out on Sun for split week and you still have time left on your timeshare- can you still reserve the extra night or do you have to book it as a hotel room?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Intersting comment about the DVC blocking owners of other Orlando resorts from staying at DVC.

I’ve never heard of that, and in my mind it doesn’t makes much sense for them to not want the business and chance to perhaps recruit new owners.

What I have heard of is the other way around- some resorts say if you travel to your home location, you must stay with them, not another brand-
From the II buyers guide-
“Some Members may be restricted from exchanging into resorts located within the same geographical area as the Home Resort accommodations that are being deposited or relinquished.”

Good luck with your purchase.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
For Grande Chateau, I think it's 2BR locks-off into a 1BR Master and 1BR Master via II. This is valuable, as you will not be exchanging an efficiency (lower demand). Something to think about. Others can confirm to make sure I'm correct. I'm not sure if the 3BR splits into a 2BR/1BR?

3BR Grand Chateau splits into 2BR and 1BR. It was the primary reason I picked it over MGV for my dedicated trader. Shortly after purchasing, II started the room upgrade fee so I now I save a little compared to MGV...although I don't think the upgrade fee is reason enough to go with one over the other.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Grande Vista and Grand Chateau. Grand Chateau does not split into a master and a master. It splits into a 1 bedroom and a studio. The 3 bedroom splits into a 2 bedroom and a smaller 1 bedroom.
Both trade great and the maintenance fees are about the same. Grand Vista is a part of the Florida Club but we never use it because I have always been able to make great trades thru Interval. Grand Chateau is all Platinum season except week 52 which is platinum plus. Grande Vista has different seasons but ours is Platinum.
IMO you can not go wrong with either one.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of these 2, I'd say it's very close. Assuming Platinum for both and the top week for each under that category, I'd say GV will trade a little better than GC. Both areas and resorts are easy trades and along with Williamsburg and Branson, all overbuilt compared to demand. GC might have slightly lower fees though I doubt they'll be much different over time. The other big differences to me are that GC has a broader Platinum season and that GV reservations start on Thursday. This last point can be a big difference in some case, esp if you have other Marriott ownerships now or in the future. As for getting to HH and MB for summer using them I'd say those are tough trades. Both will likely get you there if you're flexible (entire school break), for HH it'll be easier if you list all resorts not just the top ones there. I think the FL club is a draw for GV as well. Both have lockoff's

Personally from a trading standpoint I see GV have a mildly better trade power, FL club option and the Thursday start date for reservations. Side by side and with no other reason to chose GC, I'd go with GV hands down. I'd go with GC over GV gold. If you live close enough to either to use periodically, that might make a difference.

Other considerations would be a 3 BR at each location, EOY at more than one location, CA desert Gold, Willow Ridge Platinum, Manor Club sequel and Harbour Lakes Platinum plus some of the non lockoff locations. Further discussion on those points: a 3 BR likely isn't worth it for your stated purpose because it's unlikely you could trade to a 3 BR other places so you wouldn't deposit as a 3 BR and the fees are actually as or more expensive when you compare deposits. But if you'll use a 3 BR at times when you actually use it and you can find one at a good price, that could be a consideration. You could potentially get more than one EOY and give you more options for around the same price, say an EOY at each of the 2 locations you're looking for or an EOY at one of these for exchanging plus something to use part or all the time. HL, MC sequel & WR will likely be around the same or a little less in fees and possible less to buy. The trade power will be around the same as the 2 resorts in question with WR being basically identical to GC then HL and GV will trade on the same trade power since II does more community rating for trade power. They will have slightly lower resort quality ratings which could be enough to make a difference for HH (top resorts) & MB. But both are likely easier to buy at a bargain. I recently bought a HL 2 BR annual Platinum week for under $1K with seller paying closing and I got this years week for free which I locked off and deposited. I've had 2 GV weeks ROFRed in the last year. CA desert gold will likely trade as well as GV and as good or possibly better than GC with similar resort ratings. Fees will be higher but DS I is the only one in discussion that doesn't have the ROFR option for Marriott.

I'd also consider the potential of a non lockoff option. With the upgrade fee now and the lockoff fee to Marriott plus the addition exchange fees, the L/O is not as big a benefit as it once was. Off the top of my head (likely will miss one) and used strictly for trading, I'd list Legend's Edge, Doral, NJ, Cypress Harbour, Grande Ocean Gold (not other HH gold options), Harbour Point summer week (lowest resort rating), and Manor Club (original) as possible considerations. If you're always wanting a 2 BR I think this is viable. You might also look at Trust points, more to get into but you wouldn't have the II and lockoff fees extra and you'd have more choices. Personally if I were starting out today with the current set up and knowing what I know, I'd likely not do trust points (or some type of direct Hybrid purchase) in this situation but both are consideration.

It sounds like this may be your first timeshare purchase or at least first Marriott. If that's the case I'd suggest you consider something that might be less of a trade value but something you'll use routinely. We own both using weeks and trading weeks, unfortunately there's often not a lot of crossover in a general sense but your location and vacation preferences might make a few resorts stand out. Buying just to trade can be the best value in some cases but it has risk.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I bought Grande Vista platinum because it was a place I would actually use if I did not trade it and we could drive to Orlando if needed. And of course, the Florida Club was a nice bonus. There is a thread on tug somewhere that gives information on which Grande Vista units are a member of the Florida Club.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Of these 2, I'd say it's very close. Assuming Platinum for both and the top week for each under that category, I'd say GV will trade a little better than GC. Both areas and resorts are easy trades and along with Williamsburg and Branson, all overbuilt compared to demand. GC might have slightly lower fees though I doubt they'll be much different over time. The other big differences to me are that GC has a broader Platinum season and that GV reservations start on Thursday. This last point can be a big difference in some case, esp if you have other Marriott ownerships now or in the future. As for getting to HH and MB for summer using them I'd say those are tough trades. Both will likely get you there if you're flexible (entire school break), for HH it'll be easier if you list all resorts not just the top ones there. I think the FL club is a draw for GV as well. Both have lockoff's

Personally from a trading standpoint I see GV have a mildly better trade power, FL club option and the Thursday start date for reservations. Side by side and with no other reason to chose GC, I'd go with GV hands down. I'd go with GC over GV gold. If you live close enough to either to use periodically, that might make a difference.

Other considerations would be a 3 BR at each location, EOY at more than one location, CA desert Gold, Willow Ridge Platinum, Manor Club sequel and Harbour Lakes Platinum plus some of the non lockoff locations. Further discussion on those points: a 3 BR likely isn't worth it for your stated purpose because it's unlikely you could trade to a 3 BR other places so you wouldn't deposit as a 3 BR and the fees are actually as or more expensive when you compare deposits. But if you'll use a 3 BR at times when you actually use it and you can find one at a good price, that could be a consideration. You could potentially get more than one EOY and give you more options for around the same price, say an EOY at each of the 2 locations you're looking for or an EOY at one of these for exchanging plus something to use part or all the time. HL, MC sequel & WR will likely be around the same or a little less in fees and possible less to buy. The trade power will be around the same as the 2 resorts in question with WR being basically identical to GC then HL and GV will trade on the same trade power since II does more community rating for trade power. They will have slightly lower resort quality ratings which could be enough to make a difference for HH (top resorts) & MB. But both are likely easier to buy at a bargain. I recently bought a HL 2 BR annual Platinum week for under $1K with seller paying closing and I got this years week for free which I locked off and deposited. I've had 2 GV weeks ROFRed in the last year. CA desert gold will likely trade as well as GV and as good or possibly better than GC with similar resort ratings. Fees will be higher but DS I is the only one in discussion that doesn't have the ROFR option for Marriott.

I'd also consider the potential of a non lockoff option. With the upgrade fee now and the lockoff fee to Marriott plus the addition exchange fees, the L/O is not as big a benefit as it once was. Off the top of my head (likely will miss one) and used strictly for trading, I'd list Legend's Edge, Doral, NJ, Cypress Harbour, Grande Ocean Gold (not other HH gold options), Harbour Point summer week (lowest resort rating), and Manor Club (original) as possible considerations. If you're always wanting a 2 BR I think this is viable. You might also look at Trust points, more to get into but you wouldn't have the II and lockoff fees extra and you'd have more choices. Personally if I were starting out today with the current set up and knowing what I know, I'd likely not do trust points (or some type of direct Hybrid purchase) in this situation but both are consideration.

It sounds like this may be your first timeshare purchase or at least first Marriott. If that's the case I'd suggest you consider something that might be less of a trade value but something you'll use routinely. We own both using weeks and trading weeks, unfortunately there's often not a lot of crossover in a general sense but your location and vacation preferences might make a few resorts stand out. Buying just to trade can be the best value in some cases but it has risk.

It's fair to say we think differently.

In addition to your thought/belief, any proof/facts that MGV trades better than MGC? I get the additional benefits, but I've yet to see any proof of trade power difference. I'm not (intentionally) being argumentative. I can see the potential for MCV trading better, but I haven't seen the facts showing it.

Even with all the fees you mention, I find it more cost effective for the 3BR LO at MGC than owning 2 2BRs at other resorts. I pay around $2100 (LO and upgrade fees included) for the equivalent of 2 2BRs.

I realize the conventional wisdom on TUG is to buy where you want to stay. All 4 of the TS I purchased were/are dedicated traders. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

OP stated he wants HI, HH, and other places. I've traded my MGC for Hawaii several times as well as MFC on St Thomas. I agree HH is a tough trade, but I could have exchanged for HH in the summer. However, we now live on the FL coast and DW prefers our white sand and emerald water. MGO is a phenomenal resort. Hopefully I can convince DW to go back one day.

I'd take the "risk" of buying my MGC trader all over again.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Intersting comment about the DVC blocking owners of other Orlando resorts from staying at DVC.

I’ve never heard of that, and in my mind it doesn’t makes much sense for them to not want the business and chance to perhaps recruit new owners.

What I have heard of is the other way around- some resorts say if you travel to your home location, you must stay with them, not another brand-
From the II buyers guide-
“Some Members may be restricted from exchanging into resorts located within the same geographical area as the Home Resort accommodations that are being deposited or relinquished.”

Good luck with your purchase.

What you describe first about DVC and what you describe at the end is the exact same thing. It’s a regional block. It is not the home resort not allowing you to stay at a local property. It is the other way around. Regional blocks are very common with places like Orlando and Williamsburg.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you describe first about DVC and what you describe at the end is the exact same thing. It’s a regional block. It is not the home resort not allowing you to stay at a local property. It is the other way around. Regional blocks are very common with places like Orlando and Williamsburg.

Hi saintsfanfl,
Here’s how I look at it-
I own Marriott Orlando
Marriott Orlando does not have regional block on II
So I can stay at any Orlando TS I want

The OP said-
“AND if DVC ever joins Interval I believe they block out a 30 mile area for owners of other local Orlando time share owners.“
I interpretted this to mean the DVC won’t let owners of other TS (like me with my Marriott) say at DVC.
I thought OP was concerned with buying Marriott Orlando because then the DVC wouldn’t allow him to stay at DVC.

I may be misinterpreting the OP,- I’m not sure who “they” is in his sentence- but again I don’t believe there is currently a regional block on II Marriott Orlando. The II buyers guide does say “some members may”- so that’s vague, just going on experience. I see the other chains available to exchange in Orlando- Sheraton, Westgate, parkway, etc.

Happy travels.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi saintsfanfl,
Here’s how I look at it-
I own Marriott Orlando
Marriott Orlando does not have regional block on II
So I can stay at any Orlando TS I want

The OP said-
“AND if DVC ever joins Interval I believe they block out a 30 mile area for owners of other local Orlando time share owners.“
I interpretted this to mean the DVC won’t let owners of other TS (like me with my Marriott) say at DVC.
I thought OP was concerned with buying Marriott Orlando because then the DVC wouldn’t allow him to stay at DVC.

I may be misinterpreting the OP,- I’m not sure who “they” is in his sentence- but again I don’t believe there is currently a regional block on II Marriott Orlando. The II buyers guide does say “some members may”- so that’s vague, just going on experience. I see the other chains available to exchange in Orlando- Sheraton, Westgate, parkway, etc.

Happy travels.

You are confusing how the regional block works and Marriott does have regional blocks. The fact is that you cannot stay at any Orlando timeshare you want. Try trading into an Orlando Westgate with your Orlando Marriott. Can’t do it. I know who would want to but that’s not the point. It’s not Marriott doing the block, it’s Westgate. Likewise Marriott has Orlando Westgates blocked from trading into Orlando Marriott’s. Marriott also has a block in Williamsburg. I own at the Colonies as well as Manor Club. I can’t use Colonies to trade into Manor Club but I can the other way around. Unlike Wastegate I can use the Marriott to trade into the Colonies.

I am pretty sure DVC had a regional block when they were in II before and this would likely remain if they switched back. All regional blocks are based on being blocked from trading in, not trading out. Your home resort really has no control over what you exchange into.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are confusing how the regional block works and Marriott does have regional blocks. The fact is that you cannot stay at any Orlando timeshare you want. Try trading into an Orlando Westgate with your Orlando Marriott. Can’t do it. I know who would want to but that’s not the point. It’s not Marriott doing the block, it’s Westgate. Likewise Marriott has Orlando Westgates blocked from trading into Orlando Marriott’s. Marriott also has a block in Williamsburg. I own at the Colonies as well as Manor Club. I can’t use Colonies to trade into Manor Club but I can the other way around. Unlike Wastegate I can use the Marriott to trade into the Colonies.

I am pretty sure DVC had a regional block when they were in II before and this would likely remain if they switched back. All regional blocks are based on being blocked from trading in, not trading out. Your home resort really has no control over what you exchange into.

I just searched again and you are correct that I don’t see Westgate.
I am sure I have seen them before- but maybe using an AC or something.
You are correct I don’t want to stay at one.
My error.
Apologies to the op for taking up space on your thread.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just searched again and you are correct that I don’t see Westgate.
I am sure I have seen them before- but maybe using an AC or something.
You are correct I don’t want to stay at one.
My error.
Apologies to the op for taking up space on your thread.

Hey nothing is a waste of space. It’s all learning.

If there is one thing you can get with an AC easily it is a Westgate in Orlando.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westgate and Marriott Resorts are not on the same quality level IMHP.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's fair to say we think differently.

In addition to your thought/belief, any proof/facts that MGV trades better than MGC? I get the additional benefits, but I've yet to see any proof of trade power difference. I'm not (intentionally) being argumentative. I can see the potential for MCV trading better, but I haven't seen the facts showing it.

Even with all the fees you mention, I find it more cost effective for the 3BR LO at MGC than owning 2 2BRs at other resorts. I pay around $2100 (LO and upgrade fees included) for the equivalent of 2 2BRs.

I realize the conventional wisdom on TUG is to buy where you want to stay. All 4 of the TS I purchased were/are dedicated traders. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

OP stated he wants HI, HH, and other places. I've traded my MGC for Hawaii several times as well as MFC on St Thomas. I agree HH is a tough trade, but I could have exchanged for HH in the summer. However, we now live on the FL coast and DW prefers our white sand and emerald water. MGO is a phenomenal resort. Hopefully I can convince DW to go back one day.

I'd take the "risk" of buying my MGC trader all over again.
As I've noted on other thread's, it may not make any real difference Marriott to Marriott but it could. They do have different trade powers for the best weeks at both, that is factual as far as I can discern but I can't prove it. I don't own either so no direct trade experience and in reality, getting proof other than behind the II doors would be nigh impossible because you wouldn't see it in online instant searches and at best you could have 2 searches put in at around the same time using both properties for the weeks in question and see which one matched first and IF it was the one put in second, you'd have proof of a difference. But in reality can I prove it's different, no but neither can it be proven in reverse, getting good trades is important but not proof. I see no reason to take the chance all else being equal. If you compare in RCI, there is quite a difference in TPU between Orlando and LV and given the RCI tends to rate more by resort and II more by the area, I think that's quite telling. One can use CH & DS I to compare directly in RCI.

As for the 2 BR vs a 3BR, it's fairly equal compared to a 2 BR and an EOY 2 BR but the fact that GC locks off into a second 1 BR is a plus there. That's the proper comparison IMO. The other issue against the 3 BR option and the main telling one for me, is finding one at a great price and then getting through ROFR. I guess it depends on whether one needs the extra volume and whether they'd routinely trade as a 2 BR around half the time.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

DVC did, 45 miles. They convinced RCI to do the same, 30 miles. They also block member from trading to other local resorts and did with II as well.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

We own at Grand Chateau so I’ll only speak to that Resort.

First: if choosing Grand Chateau, I would strongly recommend the 3 bedroom over the 2 bedroom. There are a couple of reasons for this. First and foremost as stated earlier the 3 bedroom locks off and trades as a full 2 bedroom and a full 1 bedroom. It doesn’t matter that the 1 bedroom is a smaller 1bedroom, it still trades as a full 1bedroom with a full kitchen. The other reason is the 3 bedrooms are all end cap units that wrap around the end of the towers with floor to ceiling windows and outstanding views. The disadvantage is the MF is higher.

As to trading we’ve had good results trading into Kauai, Hilton Head, Park City, Williamsburg, Branson, and Lake Tahoe.

Check in days for Grand Chateau are Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
First: if choosing Grand Chateau, I would strongly recommend the 3 bedroom over the 2 bedroom. There are a couple of reasons for this. First and foremost as stated earlier the 3 bedroom locks off and trades as a full 2 bedroom and a full 1 bedroom. It doesn’t matter that the 1 bedroom is a smaller 1bedroom, it still trades as a full 1bedroom with a full kitchen. The other reason is the 3 bedrooms are all end cap units that wrap around the end of the towers with floor to ceiling windows and outstanding views. The disadvantage is the MF is higher.

I'm not sure that this is a strong reason to buy a 3 br over the 2 br. As you said it locks off as a 2br and a 1 br, but you will always trading a 2 br and unless you need that trading "power" it might be a bit of a waste. I've traded using my 1 br and studio lock offs into Hawaii all the time, in 2 br and 3 br units. With the new upgrade fees, it does cost a bit more for larger units, but I've never had issues overall getting what I was looking for. I think it is better to pay the occasional upgrade fees vs higher MF from off the hop. Essentially with the MF around 1900 for a 3 br MGC, by the time you are locking it off for $80, your cost per half is about $1000 (yes you can get technical and proportion more into the 2br vs the 1 br, but for ease of calculation, I just divided it in half) plus your trade fees. If you compare that to a 2 br with $1200 MF, $80 L/O fee, each half would be about $650 plus your trade fees. If you ever needed a 2br to get a "hard trade" you're looking at a cost of $1200 to trade the whole unit.

In addition the higher MF and the higher cost of trading using the 3 br, take into consideration a 3 br MGC sells for about $6000-$7500 on ebay, where as a 2 br MGC can be had for $1000 or less. I wouldn't pay any more than $1000 for a 2 br MGC.

Another option would be to buy Branson, as I've been seeing them go for next to nothing, including usage. I personally don't see a lot of difference in the trading between Marriott properties. The only advantage of Branson is the lower MF. Maybe its just me, but I would rather go with the cheapest cost of trading into places.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option would be to buy Branson, as I've been seeing them go for next to nothing, including usage. I personally don't see a lot of difference in the trading between Marriott properties. The only advantage of Branson is the lower MF. Maybe its just me, but I would rather go with the cheapest cost of trading into places.
It will likely trade a little lower though possibly not enough to matter but a big advantage for many is it has a Thursday start date (as does Harbour Lakes). Technically I think the trade power for the top weeks is about the same but it's a slightly lower rated resort which will have minor impact in this situation. HL will likely trade a little better and likely a little better than GC as well and it too has Thursday start along with GV. I think what's best depends on how you'll use it, how flexible you are and the like. GV has the FL Club option which can be fairly large or mean nothing depending. Ultimately going in at the start with the main option to be trading is a little risky for the novice but it can be a high reward situation for the right person. IF one wants to trade a 2 BR routinely, which makes more sense that it once did with the extra fees, that does open up some possibilities and some of those will likely trade a little better and be cheaper as well though fees will vary.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Willow Ridge might not have enough trade power for peak season high demand resorts if you are looking for an 2 br. It is something I've been observing for few months. My Willow Ridge studio cannot pull some Hawaii 2 br weeks while my MKO studio can see everything. Same goes to my Vistana SBP gold plus 1br trader that can only see few 2br Westin Nanea weeks, while SVV platinum 1br can see all.

But I still finally exchanged my MWR studio for an Marriott Waiohai 2br after weeks of looking. As the result of that, I save my 2019 MKO studio for rental to recover some of the MFs.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is a strong reason to buy a 3 br over the 2 br. As you said it locks off as a 2br and a 1 br, but you will always trading a 2 br and unless you need that trading "power" it might be a bit of a waste. I've traded using my 1 br and studio lock offs into Hawaii all the time, in 2 br and 3 br units. With the new upgrade fees, it does cost a bit more for larger units, but I've never had issues overall getting what I was looking for. I think it is better to pay the occasional upgrade fees vs higher MF from off the hop. Essentially with the MF around 1900 for a 3 br MGC, by the time you are locking it off for $80, your cost per half is about $1000 (yes you can get technical and proportion more into the 2br vs the 1 br, but for ease of calculation, I just divided it in half) plus your trade fees. If you compare that to a 2 br with $1200 MF, $80 L/O fee, each half would be about $650 plus your trade fees. If you ever needed a 2br to get a "hard trade" you're looking at a cost of $1200 to trade the whole unit.

In addition the higher MF and the higher cost of trading using the 3 br, take into consideration a 3 br MGC sells for about $6000-$7500 on ebay, where as a 2 br MGC can be had for $1000 or less. I wouldn't pay any more than $1000 for a 2 br MGC.

I agree about Grand Chateau.
There may well be other benefits with a 3 Bed unit, e.g. corner location, but for trading we have a 2 Bed unit and we have successfully locked off and exchanged both the Master and Guest suites for 2 Bed units in Caribbean, Europe and Asia for the last 10 years plus.