• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I need 200K MR points [Lifetime MR status - MERGED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olienh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Molokai, Maui & Lanai towers 2BR OV Annual (pending)
When I go into the My Account > Overview section and then click on "Details" under my current night count it shows my lifetime nights still. It doesn't show total lifetime points anymore.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I know I read about this a few months ago, and followed one of the directives and found the area that showed lifetime status, with points accumulated and earned nights.
I have checked the last few days, guess a little paranoid about merger, and want to make sure the information doesn't disappear or change.
When I go to the benefit activity it lists us as Platinum elite, gives total accumulated nights, but for accumulated points, it states 0.
We have been Lifetime Platinum for 1.5 years. Maybe I missed this, or am confused, how they will be stating benefit status. Are they eliminating the Lifetime wording and total accumulated nights. I printed all of this when someone on the forum brought this up a few months ago, so I do have a copy of how they used to post information. Thx

When I go into the My Account > Overview section and then click on "Details" under my current night count it shows my lifetime nights still. It doesn't show total lifetime points anymore.

Login using this url: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi

After successful login, click on "Nights"...the popup will have your lifetime status/points/nights. Clicking "Status" or "Points" will not get you the info.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to show up. Good thought though!

Same as airline tickets, if you don’t show up you don’t get frequent flyer miles for the trip. If you don’t show up at the hotel you don’t get credit for that night.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been over a month since I cancelled the old card, so I went ahead and reapplied for the new Chase Marriott card. Everything went right through. I will charge the $5000 required and hope the 100K MR points hit my account soon afterwards.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I got in an email on May 12th. I haven't heard a word since then.

We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days.
spacer.gif

Thank you for choosing Chase.

Edited to add.. I got this in US mail today,
"Thanks for applying but you already have a Marriott Rewards Premier credit card with us. We're sorry but we did not approve your request"

Last edited:

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I got in an email on May 12th. I haven't heard a word since then.

We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days.
spacer.gif

Thank you for choosing Chase.

Edited to add.. I got this in US mail today,
"Thanks for applying but you already have a Marriott Rewards Premier credit card with us. We're sorry but we did not approve your request"

You can call the lending dept. at Chase , give them the required info that it is you requesting to know whether or not you got the card, and they can tell you over the phone.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can call the lending dept. at Chase , give them the required info that it is you requesting to know whether or not you got the card, and they can tell you over the phone.
Based on @icydog edit, she already knows she didn't get approval for the card.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a question regarding the purchasing of 50K Marriott Reward Points and transferring them to a person. I know that I can purchase 50K points per year. Can my husband purchase 50K points for himself and then transfer them to my account as well? And then could my mom purchase 50K points for her account and transfer them to my account? Or can I only have 50K purchased points put into my account per year, period? Trying to push the points to get to Lifetime Platinum before the end of the year. My head is spinning with how best to do this.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a question regarding the purchasing of 50K Marriott Reward Points and transferring them to a person. I know that I can purchase 50K points per year. Can my husband purchase 50K points for himself and then transfer them to my account as well? And then could my mom purchase 50K points for her account and transfer them to my account? Or can I only have 50K purchased points put into my account per year, period? Trying to push the points to get to Lifetime Platinum before the end of the year. My head is spinning with how best to do this.

<snip - edited because wrong> There is a way to potentially "wash" points through a spouse and have them transferred to you where they would be picked up as counting toward lifetime (particularly in conjunction with a 35% off sale SPG is currently running) that you may want to consider.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the transferred MR points do count, up to 50k per year. It adds to one's lifetime status and takes away from the other's lifetime status. My DW already had some SPG points, but I just purchased more at the "sale" price on Monday. I will be transferring some of those to her Marriott account and then on to mine very shortly. I'll let you all know that outcome.

BTW, I received my Marriott Chase a couple of weeks back and have just about reached the $5000 requirement. That should be coming online soon. Hopefully before July 31st (I am aware of the 12-31-18 deadline for LT status).

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many other posts about this, but I don't think purchased points count toward the lifetime count. There is a way to potentially "wash" points through a spouse and have them transferred to you where they would be picked up as counting toward lifetime (particularly in conjunction with a 35% off sale SPG is currently running) that you may want to consider.

That is what I'm wondering - if my husband and mom purchased Marriott points for their accounts and then transferred those points to me, would both sets of points would be counted towards my lifetime status. Technically they wouldn't be buying the points for me as a gift. The points would be purchased for their accounts and then perhaps in a few months they would transfer them to my account. Would both count towards my lifetime status since they are coming from two different people? Or is Marriott going to limit purchased points that count towards lifetime status to 50K TOTAL whether it's my spouse, or someone else?

And I am looking at the "wash" through SPG.

Heck, I'm looking at every potential scenario to lock in Lifetime Platinum. Between credit card maneuvering, purchased points, SPG washing, and our own travel, I think I can get there before the 12-31-18 deadline).

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
That is what I'm wondering - if my husband and mom purchased Marriott points for their accounts and then transferred those points to me, would both sets of points would be counted towards my lifetime status. Technically they wouldn't be buying the points for me as a gift. The points would be purchased for their accounts and then perhaps in a few months they would transfer them to my account. Would both count towards my lifetime status since they are coming from two different people? Or is Marriott going to limit purchased points that count towards lifetime status to 50K TOTAL whether it's my spouse, or someone else?

And I am looking at the "wash" through SPG.

Heck, I'm looking at every potential scenario to lock in Lifetime Platinum. Between credit card maneuvering, purchased points, SPG washing, and our own travel, I think I can get there before the 12-31-18 deadline).
Purchased and transferred Marriott points count toward lifetime. However, you can only transfer 50K total per year from others unless you are transferring to complete points required for a reward.

For instance, if you need 125K points to complete a travel package, Marriott will allow you to transfer 125K and count them all toward your lifetime status.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I can convert United Airlines miles to Marriott. If I purchased 150,000 United Miles (max allowed for purchase), can I transfer those points into Marriott and have them count towards Lifetime?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPG points transferred to Marriott do not count as lifetime. I’ve transferred 600,000 and none of them counted. I am hoping they count once the programs are merged.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPG points transferred to Marriott do not count as lifetime. I’ve transferred 600,000 and none of them counted. I am hoping they count once the programs are merged.
I know SPG points converted do not count but I am talking about buying miles directly from United Airlines and then having them converted to Marriott points.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I know I can convert United Airlines miles to Marriott. If I purchased 150,000 United Miles (max allowed for purchase), can I transfer those points into Marriott and have them count towards Lifetime?
Yes...but only 50K per year.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Once the programs are merged, lifetime points will not be uaed for lifetime status.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Yay!! So when my 1st statement from the new Marriott Chase card posted, I had a balance of just over $5000. After waiting a few days, I had yet to hear a peep on my 100K MR bonus. I called Chase and was told that they use statements (balances & dates) to determine when or if you qualify for the bonus.

Arrg!! The problem is that $95 of my statement balance was for the annual fee on the credit card, and that annual fee does not count towards the $5000 in qualifying charges. According to their records I charged $4,970.54 during my first statement period and will have to wait for the next statement to qualify. The rep put a note on my account that I needed the points to post to my Marriott account before July 31. I doubt it matters, but did so just in case.

Note: All the MR points (6x) from paying my maintenance fees early did post. I am now at 1,460,000 LT MR points. I'm getting ready to roll over 40k points from DW that I purchased from SPG and converted to Marriott. If the 100K bonus from Chase hits my account in a timely manner, with a statement date of July 20th, I should make the 1.6mil LT Gold requirement before July 31st. I also converted one timeshare to 100k MR points as a safety net. Based on others' experiences those should post in October.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Yes...but only 50K per year.
Isn't the 50K limit only for direct purchases of Marriott points and transfer of Marriott points from one member to another? I did not think it applies to the conversion of your United miles into Marriott points.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Status
Not open for further replies.