• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of selling my Platinum wk - What is it worth?

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a platinum week from Orlando (SeaWorld). My annual fees (all in - taxes, maintenance, club, etc) were $963 this year.

I have 4,800 annual points (with all the points remaining from this year as a bonus).

What should I look to sell it for and should I go through a broker or just try to sell it on eBay or here? I purchased through a broker several years back and it was a good experience, but not sure what the hit would be to sell it that way.

Appreciate any feedback... not 100% I am going to sell. But my vacation locations vary and i have a hard time using my points every year and just keep pushing them forward.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi,
Appreciate any feedback... not 100% I am going to sell. But my vacation locations vary and i have a hard time using my points every year and just keep pushing them forward.
Why did you buy HGVC? Are you trying to book HGVC resorts or resorts in RCI? Maybe we can help.

Hi,
What should I look to sell it for and should I go through a broker or just try to sell it on eBay or here? I purchased through a broker several years back and it was a good experience, but not sure what the hit would be to sell it that way.

Based on your previous posts I see that you bought a 1br Plat at Seaworld (4,800) for $3,750 from Selingtimeshares which closed Jan 2015.
I would ask sellingtimeshare what your week is currently worth and their sales commission fee. They would have the latest info. If you could sell to cover your total cost then that would be a win. Some of the asking prices vary based on the latest HGVC ROFR activity (rofr.net).

This was recently reported regarding seller's fee
I contacted brokers on those site and received very good information on Hilton. FYI- Brokerage fees were $1000-$1500 so depending on the sales price a seller may net very little but the market is what it is. The seller pays a small estoppel fee.

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why did you buy HGVC? Are you trying to book HGVC resorts or resorts in RCI? Maybe we can help.

I purchased because I thought I would use it more...but in reality the locations dont always align with my plans. I also thought the RCI thing would be a great option, but I have a hard time finding anything that doesn't look like an 1980s apartment through the RCI link from HGVC... Maybe I am doing something wrong. As an example, I am looking at Italy (Rome) next summer and dont see anything on RCI at all in that area.

Your comment about reaching back out to the broker I purchased from to see the value, is a good suggestion...thanks

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
To follow up, I did reach back out to Sellingtimeshares and will probably list through them to make it easy.

Looking at my needs I probably should have bought an every other year option, I like HGVC, just dont consume my 4,800 pts every year. If I had 4,800 every other, I would probably be better off....

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
To follow up, I did reach back out to Sellingtimeshares and will probably list through them to make it easy.

Looking at my needs I probably should have bought an every other year option, I like HGVC, just dont consume my 4,800 pts every year. If I had 4,800 every other, I would probably be better off....
Same here, too many point now accumulating. Deciding which one to let go of, love them all.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
You may consider selling (via transfer to another hgvc owner) some of your points.

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may consider selling (via transfer to another hgvc owner) some of your points.

Yeah, would definitely consider that. How does that work. That would solve my problem for years that I dont need them (like this year).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I purchased because I thought I would use it more...but in reality the locations dont always align with my plans. I also thought the RCI thing would be a great option, but I have a hard time finding anything that doesn't look like an 1980s apartment through the RCI link from HGVC... Maybe I am doing something wrong. As an example, I am looking at Italy (Rome) next summer and dont see anything on RCI at all in that area.

Yeah as you have discovered, you’re not going to find a timeshare at every location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange.

Some destinations will be harder to exchange into than others. It depends on supply and demand. With exchange requests, it's best to be as flexible as possible on your requested unit size and travel dates and even then you may not snag a week at your requested resort.

With RCI, it's also wise to always research the properties that are listed in the RCI Directory to make sure it meets your vacation needs in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc. Depending on the RCI choices, you may decide to visit this location via some other means (hotel/resort stay, etc).

This was posted in another thread regarding timeshares in Europe
....You should know that timeshares in general, are not well located for Americans in Europe. Most are in small towns out in the countryside. Europeans LIVE in the major cities, so they want to vacation out in the country. Americans generally want to see European cities. Now, there are exceptions, but not a lot. We have exchanged RCI points into Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Germany, and Scotland, but use hotels in the cities.
Here are some old RCI threads you might find helpful

....Looking at my needs I probably should have bought an every other year option, I like HGVC, just dont consume my 4,800 pts every year. If I had 4,800 every other, I would probably be better off....

You really should use HGVC primarily for stays at HGVC resorts.

Also keep in mind with HGVC you have the option of banking and borrowing. With banking and borrowing you can travel to the HGVC resorts every two or three years to HGVC resorts. This would allow to book a longer stay, a larger unit size and/or a better unit type.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Yeah, would definitely consider that. How does that work. That would solve my problem for years that I dont need them (like this year).

It is basically a direct transfer between two members (3-way call with the club to make it happen). So, you and another member agree to some mutual terms. Here is a thread discussing it. (https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/transferring-points-from-one-member-to-another.272340/). Until this thread, I didn't think that it was allowed. But I see on the FB for HGVC that people there have mentioned it. So basically, I don't know how long this have been happening. It isn't addressed in the rules.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
It is basically a direct transfer between two members (3-way call with the club to make it happen). So, you and another member agree to some mutual terms. Here is a thread discussing it. (https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/transferring-points-from-one-member-to-another.272340/). Until this thread, I didn't think that it was allowed. But I see on the FB for HGVC that people there have mentioned it. So basically, I don't know how long this have been happening. It isn't addressed in the rules.

I have friends that have been doing this for a couple of years now. I don’t know how they make the transfer, but they transfer when unused points are needed.

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Just posted an inquiry on FB for the 4,900 points I available.