• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

JetBlue updates is Emotional Support Animal Policy as of 7/1

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Service and emotional support animal travel
main_service_animal_icon.png

JetBlue welcomes service and emotional support/psychiatric service animals in the cabin at no additional charge. You will be asked at the airport to verify the service the animal provides.

Definition of animal roles:
Service Animals: A service animal has been trained to perform a specific task to assist the customer traveling such as pathfinding, providing stability, alerting to sounds, etc.

Emotional Support Animals: An emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal provides comfort to support a customer's diagnosed mental or emotional disorder. Emotional support animals need not have specific training for that function, while psychiatric service animals are task trained. All must be trained to behave appropriately in a public setting. Acceptable emotional support and psychiatric service animals are limited to dogs, cats, and miniature horses.Your animal must behave appropriately in a public setting and have required documentation as noted below.

Travel requirements:
  • Please add the animal to your reservation when booking online or notify JetBlue at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) of the animal's travel. We must be notified of emotional support animal travel and receive documentation no later than 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Emotional support animals are limited to one per customer. Service animals are limited to three per customer.
  • If you are traveling with more than one service animal, JetBlue will make every reasonable effort to accommodate the space needed. Your animal(s) must fit within the footprint of your seat(s). If your animal(s) is too large to fit in a single footprint in accordance with FAA safety regulations, you may purchase a second seat to guarantee travel or wait for a flight that has suitable empty seats available.
  • All animals must remain on the floor; however, if the animal is no larger than a lap infant and is well-behaved, circumstances may permit the animal to remain in your lap during all stages of flight.
  • No animal is ever allowed to be placed on a seat whether or not it is in a carrier.
  • Service animals in training are not accepted for travel on JetBlue.
  • Animals that provide comfort for others or skills like drug or bomb detection will not be accepted on JetBlue. Animals accepted as service or emotional support animals must be providing disability mitigation directly to the customer who is traveling.
  • JetBlue accepts only dogs, cats, and miniature horses as emotional support animals. We do not accept the following as they pose unavoidable safety and/or public health concerns:
    • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
    • Animals who appear to be in poor health
    • Animals with tusks
    • Hedgehogs
    • Ferrets
    • Insects
    • Rodents
    • Snakes
    • Spiders
    • Sugar gliders
    • Reptiles
    • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
Emotional support/psychiatric service animal documentation requirements:
For travel beginning July 1, 2018, regardless of purchase date of ticket, customers will be required to provide 48 hours’ notice of their intention to travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal.

The following documentation will be required and can be downloaded here.

• Medical/Mental Health Professional’s Form
  • Veterinary Health Form

• Confirmation of Animal Behavior
Upon completion of the documentation, you must submit the forms for review through this link at least 48 hours prior to departure. These documents need to be submitted for each reservation you’re traveling on; documents are not kept on file.

Please note: Required documentation for emotional support/psychiatric service animals must always accompany the animal when traveling and is to be presented upon request to JetBlue personnel for review.

The behavior of the animal will be assessed at the airport to ensure safety requirements are met before approving the animal for travel.

Additional documentation required:
  • Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands require vaccination documentation for the animal to be admitted into the destination.
  • International destinations have vaccination and documentation requirements. View here.
Pet relief area accommodation:
Upon request, assistance will be offered by JetBlue crewmembers to and from the Airport Pet Relief Areas. Please ask an airport crewmember for assistance to the relief area.

Flying in Mint:
JetBlue permits service animals/emotional support/psychiatric service animals to accompany you in any seat except the emergency exit row unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation. In JetBlue's Mint seating, you will forfeit the reclining feature in order to accommodate your animal on the floor. Animal carriers are not permitted in Mint seating during critical phases of flight (taxi, take-off, and landing) and must be stowed in the overhead compartment. If your animal is no larger than a lap infant and can sit comfortably on your lap without touching any part of the seat, the reclining feature may be used. If your animal(s) are of a size that prevents an adjacent customer from utilizing the amenities of their seat, the customer traveling with the animal(s) may need to be re-accommodated in another seat.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm happy the industry is cracking down on this. But....I'm still scratching my head a bit with what type of animals they will allow with proper documentation: Dogs, cats and miniature horses.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'd never heard of sugar gliders before.
But having read about 'em, I'd say they should be allowed.

sugar%20glider%20in%20hand%20123694948.jpg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
WOW!!!

Kudos to Jet Blue. That is the BEST published policy I've seen to date. Admittedly, it's very strict, but it's worded perfectly. NICE JOB!

@mdurette Miniature horses are listed because they are addressed by law. The ADA recognizes min horses trained for a specific task. The ACAA already authorizes many animals (not just 'guide dogs'). The ADA is the controlling law. While not in widespread use, there was (and is?) a movement to train more miniature horses for service (guide) animals. This is largely due to the large investment of time and money to train and associate a service animal with the owner and the relatively short life-span of larger canines. Also, min. horses are an option for those that are allergic to canines. They are not great in very small spaces, but are not what you would expect when you meet one in person. They definitely do not trigger the 'can I pet your dog' syndrome; it's obvious that they are a working animal. Just remember, not all persons with disabilities are small, frail or indoor-only people. Min Horses are well suited for those that need more physical support or spend a great deal of time outdoors and out of the city.

Obviously, there are some drawbacks and space requirements that affect the use of miniature horses...just like there are for canines.

A link about min horses.....

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I'd never heard of sugar gliders before.
But having read about 'em, I'd say they should be allowed.

sugar%20glider%20in%20hand%20123694948.jpg

They do look awful cute, but I’d guess the airlines don’t want to risk having them gliding around the inside of the plane. It could also be a problem if flying to or through locations where they aren’t permitted as pets.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
WOW!!!

Kudos to Jet Blue. That is the BEST published policy I've seen to date. Admittedly, it's very strict, but it's worded perfectly. NICE JOB!

@mdurette Miniature horses are listed because they are addressed by law. The ADA recognizes min horses trained for a specific task. The ACAA already authorizes many animals (not just 'guide dogs'). The ADA is the controlling law. While not in widespread use, there was (and is?) a movement to train more miniature horses for service (guide) animals. This is largely due to the large investment of time and money to train and associate a service animal with the owner and the relatively short life-span of larger canines. Also, min. horses are an option for those that are allergic to canines. They are not great in very small spaces, but are not what you would expect when you meet one in person. They definitely do not trigger the 'can I pet your dog' syndrome; it's obvious that they are a working animal. Just remember, not all persons with disabilities are small, frail or indoor-only people. Min Horses are well suited for those that need more physical support or spend a great deal of time outdoors and out of the city.

Obviously, there are some drawbacks and space requirements that affect the use of miniature horses...just like there are for canines.

A link about min horses.....

Hi Taterhead,

Thanks for the info and link. Policy makes more sense now.

Best Regards.

Richard

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks taterhead for the scoop! Learn something new everyday!

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
This appears to be the most well thought out service / support animal policy that I've seen yet. Kudos to JetBlue.

My brain went wonky for a moment when I thought they said animals need to be stowed in the overhead during takeoff and landing for Mint passengers, but I reread and that's clearly just for the carrier, you're apparently expected to hold a small / carrier sized animal on your lap during those times. I'm somewhat amused at imagining me leashing my cat to keep him on my lap during takeoff, but all in all it seems very, very sensible.

Re: their exclusions, I also don't know why they don't like hedgehogs. They already reserve the right to deny stinky animals, which is the only issue I can see with hedgehogs. My nephew has one and they're incredibly cute.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Since apparently one can easily obtain a “certification” over the internet for an ESA (dog, cat, miniature horse) I suspect pet dogs and cats will continue to be falsely labeled ESA’s by those wanting to avoid the charge for a “normal” dog or cat.

At least no more peacocks, orangutans, pythons, etc.

Cheers

Reaction score
Service and emotional support animal travel
main_service_animal_icon.png

JetBlue welcomes service and emotional support/psychiatric service animals in the cabin at no additional charge. You will be asked at the airport to verify the service the animal provides.

Definition of animal roles:
Service Animals: A service animal has been trained to perform a specific task to assist the customer traveling such as pathfinding, providing stability, alerting to sounds, etc.

Emotional Support Animals: An emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal provides comfort to support a customer's diagnosed mental or emotional disorder. Emotional support animals need not have specific training for that function, while psychiatric service animals are task trained. All must be trained to behave appropriately in a public setting. Acceptable emotional support and psychiatric service animals are limited to dogs, cats, and miniature horses.Your animal must behave appropriately in a public setting and have required documentation as noted below.

Travel requirements:
  • Please add the animal to your reservation when booking online or notify JetBlue at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) of the animal's travel. We must be notified of emotional support animal travel and receive documentation no later than 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Emotional support animals are limited to one per customer. Service animals are limited to three per customer.
  • If you are traveling with more than one service animal, JetBlue will make every reasonable effort to accommodate the space needed. Your animal(s) must fit within the footprint of your seat(s). If your animal(s) is too large to fit in a single footprint in accordance with FAA safety regulations, you may purchase a second seat to guarantee travel or wait for a flight that has suitable empty seats available.
  • All animals must remain on the floor; however, if the animal is no larger than a lap infant and is well-behaved, circumstances may permit the animal to remain in your lap during all stages of flight.
  • No animal is ever allowed to be placed on a seat whether or not it is in a carrier.
  • Service animals in training are not accepted for travel on JetBlue.
  • Animals that provide comfort for others or skills like drug or bomb detection will not be accepted on JetBlue. Animals accepted as service or emotional support animals must be providing disability mitigation directly to the customer who is traveling.
  • JetBlue accepts only dogs, cats, and miniature horses as emotional support animals. We do not accept the following as they pose unavoidable safety and/or public health concerns:
    • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
    • Animals who appear to be in poor health
    • Animals with tusks
    • Hedgehogs
    • Ferrets
    • Insects
    • Rodents
    • Snakes
    • Spiders
    • Sugar gliders
    • Reptiles
    • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
Emotional support/psychiatric service animal documentation requirements:
For travel beginning July 1, 2018, regardless of purchase date of ticket, customers will be required to provide 48 hours’ notice of their intention to travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal.

The following documentation will be required and can be downloaded here.

• Medical/Mental Health Professional’s Form
  • Veterinary Health Form

• Confirmation of Animal Behavior
Upon completion of the documentation, you must submit the forms for review through this link at least 48 hours prior to departure. These documents need to be submitted for each reservation you’re traveling on; documents are not kept on file.

Please note: Required documentation for emotional support/psychiatric service animals must always accompany the animal when traveling and is to be presented upon request to JetBlue personnel for review.

The behavior of the animal will be assessed at the airport to ensure safety requirements are met before approving the animal for travel.

Additional documentation required:
  • Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands require vaccination documentation for the animal to be admitted into the destination.
  • International destinations have vaccination and documentation requirements. View here.
Pet relief area accommodation:
Upon request, assistance will be offered by JetBlue crewmembers to and from the Airport Pet Relief Areas. Please ask an airport crewmember for assistance to the relief area.

Flying in Mint:
JetBlue permits service animals/emotional support/psychiatric service animals to accompany you in any seat except the emergency exit row unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation. In JetBlue's Mint seating, you will forfeit the reclining feature in order to accommodate your animal on the floor. Animal carriers are not permitted in Mint seating during critical phases of flight (taxi, take-off, and landing) and must be stowed in the overhead compartment. If your animal is no larger than a lap infant and can sit comfortably on your lap without touching any part of the seat, the reclining feature may be used. If your animal(s) are of a size that prevents an adjacent customer from utilizing the amenities of their seat, the customer traveling with the animal(s) may need to be re-accommodated in another seat.
Great motive by JetBlue services. This step has opened doors for many people who got many anxiety or depression issues and these people need their pets every time.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To mdurette ( the OP), kudos for this information. It is now in print from an air carrier. Passengers with service or emotional support animals now must submit written proof within 48 hours that their support or emotional is now eligible to fly with Jet Blue.

Let’s hope the other air lines will follow this written practice and publish their emotional and support animal policy.

I liked Jet Blue written / printed travel requirements list.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Family was together at a resort a few days before Christmas, and my daughter had a call from a client who was not allowed to board with her emotional support animal. Not sure what the airline or the outcome was, but my daughter was involved for a long time