• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Panama City, FL

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the area, restaurants, things to do or see? We will be at Legends Edge next week, 4 adults. Thanks!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Legends Edge is a very nice property. With only 2 towers it is small but all activities are centrally located between them - pool, grills, activity center, etc. If you have anyone who like militaria or aviation, I recommend a trip to the National Naval Aviation Museum at Naval Air Station Pensacola (www.navalaviationmuseum.org/). NAS Pensacola is also home to the Navy's Blue Angels precision flying team (http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/blue-angels/). They regularly hold practice sessions that are free and open to the public. Afterward, they will sometimes come into the museum for a public meet and greet session taking photos and signing autographs. We really enjoyed it. They are scheduled to practice on Tuesday, June 5th at 11:30am. If you go, allow plenty of travel time. Traffic backs up to get on base and if you want to see the Blue Angels practice you will want to arrive early (especially to get a seat in the bleachers).

We really enjoy the beaches in the area of Destin through Okaloosa Island (Fort Walton Beach). This is also where the Gulfarium Marine Park is located (https://www.gulfarium.com/). I still remember their dolphin shows from my childhood. There is a large outlet mall for shopping in Destin called Silver Sands Premium Outlets (www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/silver-sands). There is no shortage of good food from Panama City west through to Pensacola. If anyone golfs, there are also plenty of great courses in the Destin/Sandestin area. Just remember that Hwy 98 connects you to everything. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the area, restaurants, things to do or see? We will be at Legends Edge next week, 4 adults. Thanks!
Our Favorite there is Angelo's steak pit if you like steaks with a smokey flavor. Large restaurant but tend to have a wait, no reservations or call ahead. Our favorite upscale dining is Firefly, very good food and a great early bird special. Our favorite seafood is J Micheals, again you just go wait. Our favorite BBQ is Moes' Original BBQ (not the counter service chain) just east of Pier park very near the Wyndham resort. Another good location with good lunch and early bird specials is Triple J near where you turn off Thomas drive to head toward LE. For oceanfront seafood we like Schooners. Eat my Pasty is a good British counter Service place with good burger's and fish and chips, nice people, I did hear they've moved locations though. Another good seafood place with view is Pineapple Willy's. For seafood we also like Captains table in Panama City proper. The Nacho's at Margaritaville are good if you're into those things. There's a locally owned ice-cream shop in the Edgewater complex (where firefly is) called Pink Pelican. A lot of people recommend Saltwater grill but the one time we went it wasn't very good. Wicked wheel is a chain but it actually has very good food and is great for lunch plus it's a neat interior (fried chicken and the chicken salad are what we tend to get). My SIL & daughter like Bayou's on the beach which isn't on the beach, we think it's just OK. There's an Egg and I just down from the resort that's very good (similar to another broken egg). We haven't found good pizza since Mello Mushroom closed. We don't care for Captain Anderson's that you'll often see recommended.

The one's I listed as favorites are favorites in general, just just for PCB. Note, some of these locations close during the winter season like Angelo's and Captain Anderson's. Pier park is an upscale shopping area where Margaritaville, Shoney's (a newer one), Red Robin, Front Porch, Dick's last resort and a couple other dining options. Kind of a cross between a resort shopping mall and a regular mall with carter's, Dilliards, Penny's, Target and the like.

Be careful, the speed limit there is low and the signs are hard to see. They will ticket you. There's a Publix AND WD right where you turn off the main road (Thomas Dr.).

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't this property have a private beach and a shuttle back/forth?

When we've visited PCB, we like to experience the sunset at Schooners. It is a great classic beach bar.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the beaches in this region of Florida are the best in the continental US ! Far better than the west coast of Florida in my opinion because I like a little surf . Warmer than the Pacific beaches and prettier water

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the beaches in this region of Florida are the best in the continental US ! Far better than the west coast of Florida in my opinion because I like a little surf . Warmer than the Pacific beaches and prettier water
Most regard the beaches in this area as the tops in FL and possibly the US. The resort does not have a beach and as far as I know, do not have a shuttle specifically to one or a private beach area. There are many areas to get to a public beach though. Seaweed can be an issue at times for the area. Personally we prefer to stay at the Wyndham because of the location, beach and view.

I'd ask for the Azalea building over bluebell and a high floor with a view. Not that there's much view even from the best unit though. There's not much for dining within walking distance, just the restaurants at the hotel down the street that used to be Marriott (think it's Wyndham now) and a couple of options at the marina across the street. The staff are nice and accommodating.

Getting around isn't difficult once one learns how but if one tries to go down front beach road during busier times it can be walking speed.

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the information. Look forward to our week here.

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking for a place, accessible to the east coast, for New Year's. It seems this may be a warm weather resort? The weather reports for early January do not look inviting but would like any input on this observation. Thanks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking for a place, accessible to the east coast, for New Year's. It seems this may be a warm weather resort? The weather reports for early January do not look inviting but would like any input on this observation. Thanks.
It depends on what you want. PCB is fairly easily accessible with Southwest and Delta, not sure about American. The issue with January for this area is it may be 20 one day and 75 the next. We are about 2 hours west and I would not go here if you want beach time. Actually that's true even in summer IMO as the resort is not on the beach and not fairly close. One would have to drive to get to a beach, any beach. It's about 10 minutes inside a residential area and about as far away as one can get from most of the restaurants at PCB and Pier Park. For Marriott I'd likely do the West Palm area for Jan for FL. Plus a decent % of the businesses close down between Dec and late Feb to March. That said, there are a lot of snowbirds for the area so it's all relative.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island

Stick with South Florida if you want the best weather. However, New Years is an issue that may prove to be difficult (not impossible) this late.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Christmas through New Year's weather is a crap shoot in that part of Florida. I say that as someone who grew up spending this week at our family's timeshare in Destin, FL (about 45 minutes West of Legends Edge). Even when warmer, I would not call it beach weather. I would look further South towards Miami, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, the Palm Beaches, or even Orlando.

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I thought the weather might be an issue... not everywhere south is tropical. We might go further south, i.e. out of the US, but at this point, I realize we are a bit late. It pays to plan ahead and I often wonder how last minute vacationers deal with reality. $$$$$$