• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best fixed weeks

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I’m considering buying a fixed platinum plus week. How do you rank President’s week, New Year’s week and Christmas week in terms of value and the and the desirability to rent. I’m looking at Hawaii and the Caribbean.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I can only speak to Maui.

I would think your best reference is seeing what your various resorts rent for via RedWeek, VacationCandy.com and a few broker listings.

For Maui, you're looking at 2BR or 3BR OF for prime rentals. Week 51/52 are available in the old buildings, but unit is not fixed, just the week.
All three weeks are available in the Lahaina/Napili towers, with unit fixed, and the floor being another variable on selling price, but doesn't seem to influence rental value.

Your buy-in is probably in the $45K-$85K range, depending on bedrooms, floor, etc.

Rental for President's week is often not that much more than any other winter week, but demand/availability makes them harder to get. Generally $5500-6500 for 2BR OF.

I've seen some really high 'asks' for Christmas weeks for Maui, e.g., 3BR up to $11K.

Marriott Maui 2BR OF for any of the those weeks: $5000-6000

Other than beach, 2BR Marriott Mountainside at Park City, Week 7 Fixed Week rents around $4500-$5000, but can also be traded to other platinum ski weeks, if you needed to. A nice nuance. A good return as MF is only around $1500.
Figure $35K-$45K buy-in.

(FWIW, if you are serious about spending that kind of money for usage, with rental as an alternative, and you find something you can handle you should buy it. Once a Week 7 in a unit/floor that you like leaves the market you may never see it again. I've only seen six Week 7s in Lahaina/Napili in two years, mostly 3BRs, with three of them for sale now on Redweek. If you narrow it down to Maui, there are some nuances you should consider between 2 and 3BR, Napili vs Lahaina and floors...though only number of bedrooms generally impact rental value.)

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back when I was waiting (the wait was 3 years) for Marriott to sell my Sabal Palms Week I asked Marriott to select a great Week to rent for me. They always picked either Week 51 or 52. Every year they successfully rented all 7 days for me.

George

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m considering buying a fixed platinum plus week. How do you rank President’s week, New Year’s week and Christmas week in terms of value and the and the desirability to rent. I’m looking at Hawaii and the Caribbean.
How do you want to use it? I wouldn't spend much extra just for a rental option or for exchanging. I'd only buy a fixed week or platinum plus week if I needed that week and resort a fair portion of the time. In reality some of the specialty weeks at some resorts are actually less desirable than some of the Platinum weeks, Legends Edge for example. They are also more restrictive in many situations from a 13 month reservation standpoint. Often a better choice is to buy 2 Platinum weeks if you don't specifically need both a given week and specific resort.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
How do you want to use it? I wouldn't spend much extra just for a rental option or for exchanging. I'd only buy a fixed week or platinum plus week if I needed that week and resort a fair portion of the time. In reality some of the specialty weeks at some resorts are actually less desirable than some of the Platinum weeks, Legends Edge for example. They are also more restrictive in many situations from a 13 month reservation standpoint. Often a better choice is to buy 2 Platinum weeks if you don't specifically need both a given week and specific resort.

I will not use it much but I can get over 5000 points for it and my MF’s would be cheaper at about.37 per point. Plus if I want to rent during one of the fixed weeks, the rentals go for over $5000. However, I really want more time and to rent a week the old fashioned way with Marriott and still get points is appealing.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will not use it much but I can get over 5000 points for it and my MF’s would be cheaper at about.37 per point. Plus if I want to rent during one of the fixed weeks, the rentals go for over $5000. However, I really want more time and to rent a week the old fashioned way with Marriott and still get points is appealing.
Er... you do not get to exchange for points with a week purchase for US properties.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Er... you do not get to exchange for points with a week purchase for US properties.

You can for Aruba Surf Club and St. Kitts. You can still buy a week from these properties and they are enrolled so you can change the week to points. Thus, by passing the price per point charge. The cost of the week is about $8 per point

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
You can for Aruba Surf Club and St. Kitts. You can still buy a week from these properties and they are enrolled so you can change the week to points. Thus, by passing the price per point charge. The cost of the week is about $8 per point

Plus if you have post-2010 week purchases they will enroll those weeks with your St Kitts or Aruba purchase (at least they were last summer).

Best,

Greg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, it works. It was not apparent from your posts which property(ies) you were looking at.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best fixed week to buy is July 4th at any resort IMP.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Plus if you have post-2010 week purchases they will enroll those weeks with your St Kitts or Aruba purchase (at least they were last summer).

Greg (or CSalter2), so the only current path to enroll multiple post-2010 weeks would be to buy Aruba or St. Kitts from Marriott? Are you aware of a limit on the number of post-2010 weeks they would enroll, i.e., just one or more? $36K for St. Kitts Christmas and enrollment of X weeks would seem to have appeal for a lot of folks with multiple weeks, though I haven't calculated the breakeven number of weeks to get into the $7 range.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I think it was your inclusion of Hawaii in your OP that made for the confusion as it seems your primary goal was to add a week for the ability to convert to points.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg (or CSalter2), so the only current path to enroll multiple post-2010 weeks would be to buy Aruba or St. Kitts from Marriott? Are you aware of a limit on the number of post-2010 weeks they would enroll, i.e., just one or more? $36K for St. Kitts Christmas and enrollment of X weeks would seem to have appeal for a lot of folks with multiple weeks, though I haven't calculated the breakeven number of weeks to get into the $7 range.

This was something that they came back with last year, when they rolled out the buy 5,000 Trust Points and enroll 3-7 weeks, or whatever the offer was. I was not interested in 5,000 Trust Points, and so they came up with the Buy a St Kitts week, or Buy an Aruba week, and we will enroll 3-7 post-2010 weeks. I thought about the Aruba week, but I couldn't see using it enough to warrant it, and I didn't need a points generator. So I passed. I think I posted on it, so it should be somewhere in the innards of TUG.

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your goal is to get points, that may be a good plan but that assumes that buying points in general with the high cost is a good plan. Your post talked about renting and inherent value, not DC points. I think a 3 BR non lockoff has some inherent risks. To me it's difficult to match up the costs with the benefit but your situation may be different. Certainly if you can roll enrollment of non qualified weeks into the equation, that would be a plus but it doesn't sound like your situation. Let us know how it goes.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
If your goal is to get points, that may be a good plan but that assumes that buying points in general with the high cost is a good plan. Your post talked about renting and inherent value, not DC points. I think a 3 BR non lockoff has some inherent risks. To me it's difficult to match up the costs with the benefit but your situation may be different. Certainly if you can roll enrollment of non qualified weeks into the equation, that would be a plus but it doesn't sound like your situation. Let us know how it goes.

i am looking at a two bedroom not a three bedroom in St. Kitts. The upfront cost is steep, but my thinking is that buying a week that is equivalent to DC points at $8 to $8.75 per point may not be a bad deal, especially if I get the kind of points I need. I’m thinking the maintenance fee to point difference will close the gap quickly between a resale purchase and a Marriott purchase cost per point. I like the fact that if I buy a week that gets me 3000 points or 6000 points will cost me the same maintenance fee. I see value in having lots of points to have more accommodations available but paying lower fees to maintain them. I’m thinking a fixed week can do that.

The question is do I want I want pay that money. I could keep what I have and rent what I need. I guess that’s the cheapest/most economical route.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i am looking at a two bedroom not a three bedroom in St. Kitts. The upfront cost is steep, but my thinking is that buying a week that is equivalent to DC points at $8 to $8.75 per point may not be a bad deal, especially if I get the kind of points I need. I’m thinking the maintenance fee to point difference will close the gap quickly between a resale purchase and a Marriott purchase cost per point. I like the fact that if I buy a week that gets me 3000 points or 6000 points will cost me the same maintenance fee. I see value in having lots of points to have more accommodations available but paying lower fees to maintain them. I’m thinking a fixed week can do that.

The question is do I want I want pay that money. I could keep what I have and rent what I need. I guess that’s the cheapest/most economical route.
To me the question is more is the points worth it to you (I'm presuming you can pay cash), if so, then it's just which is the better option. This purchase to me only makes sense if you wanted to go there routinely or you were going to buy trust points instead. Update us when/if you pull the trigger please.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
To me the question is more is the points worth it to you (I'm presuming you can pay cash), if so, then it's just which is the better option. This purchase to me only makes sense if you wanted to go there routinely or you were going to buy trust points instead. Update us when/if you pull the trigger please.

I was looking into buying trust points. I will let everyone know what I decide. Thank you for your help..

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Given all the pending changes with MVCI'S acquisition of ILG, presumption that they will continue to need/want more inventory, and are apparently increasing funding for ROFR (per SteveTing's recent sales presentation), does anyone have a sense or rationale that the ownership of a fixed week should be considered over a floating week for availability, if one's travel plans can support the same week every year?

Just wondering if the value of a fixed week would be enhanced or at least stabilized compared to floating weeks for high demand markets like Maui Lahaina/Napili. I know Hyatt Maui also sells fixed weeks, but not sure about Westin.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I don’t think they will pay the high prices that the fixed week/fixed units are going for, especially ocean front. Maybe they will do ROFR for fixed week/floating units that are in shoulder season that sell for less.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I don’t think they will pay the high prices that the fixed week/fixed units are going for, especially ocean front. Maybe they will do ROFR for fixed week/floating units that are in shoulder season that sell for less.
(Marriott won’t pay)

taffy19

Reaction score

This is my opinion too because the once private companies in the timeshare industry do no longer care about their original customers who made them successful so they ended up on the map and became public companies. All what is important to them now is a more successful quarter from the last one, etc.

It are the customers who bought direct from these timeshare developers who ended up being shafted the most, IMO.

You can average down the re-sales prices of the timeshare weeks or points but only if the economy stays strong and you can use all the weeks or points and keep paying the high fees that go with the timeshare portfolio as they will keep increasing year after year. That is fact and at a higher rate than inflation. If the economy goes down again, hotel prices will also go lower as they did before and private rentals will not do so well either.

I went to visit someone at the Hilton Hawaiian Village before our visit to Maui and they hadn’t abandoned the plan yet to build in Maui. He told me why it was delayed. He was not in sales so had no reason to lie. If Maui gets overbuilt, like in Las Vegas and Florida, re-sale prices will go even lower. These timeshare developers have to be aware of that too so may make more changes yet.

One day, they may restrict present timeshare or points owners from renting out their weeks or points because the legal language is so vague so they can easily change it when they get too many complaints or no longer want our competition here even while it was pitched at some sales offices from what was posted here more than once.

They never pitched that to us because we bought always where we liked to visit nor did they pitch making exchanges all over the world to us either.

Owning less may be the way to go in case another bad cycle hits the economy again because that is the lesson these timeshare developers learned during the last recession.

Next time the burden will be on us who are owners still and are paying the maintenance fees plus the extra fees that will be added by the owner associations for the owners who decide to walk away.