• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Point Conversion - recent experiences?

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I've read a lot about this process, but still don't feel like I have a good understanding. Basically, plenty of people own deeded weeks at resorts that have since switched to points, and they are offered the 'opportunity' to convert those weeks to points. Because timeshare companies are moneygrubbers, they are happy to charge a small fortune to do this, despite RCI only charging a fairly reasonable fee. The idea is that the resort or management company paid a good deal of money to be able to sell/convert to points, and they want to recoup those costs and then some.

I'm curious about the details. For instance, I've read that points conversions are typically based on the underlying week - but that if you have a 'true' floating week, with no actual specific week, they give you the average number of points of all the weeks in your floating interval. Is this understanding correct?

I have it in my head that if I intend to purchase a week at a (currently PFD eligible weeks resort) I should make sure that the underlying week is truly high season, even if it's eligible to float through high season. I would clearly prefer it to stay as a weeks resort, but want to hedge my bets a bit, and ensure that I'd at least be eligible for the highest points:mf ratio if they did convert.

Additionally, I've read that some resorts charge significantly more/less than others to handle the conversion. Can you have several weeks at different resorts converted at a single one of those resorts? Or (as I suspect) are you only allowed to convert a week through that particular resort? Do home groups factor into this at all? For instance, if I bought myself some high season Grandview weeks, and some high season VV Parkway weeks, could I conceivably be offered the opportunity to convert both sets of weeks at the same time at one of these resorts?

I have other questions too, but I'll add them if this thread gains any traction - that's plenty for now...

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
If you want points you should buy point weeks at either Grandview Las Vegas or one of the other Vacation Village properties like VV Parkway that give a high number of points for red/high season weeks. I would never recommend buying weeks weeks and converting them as you will spend a great deal of money needlessly. The one time I asked about it I was told it would be $5000 to convert a week to a points week but I don't remember if I was asking about a one bedroom or a two bedroom. For that probably half of that if not less you could buy so many points weeks here on TUG or on eBay that you would be unlikely to ever use all the points in a given year!

I remember seeing a thread where someone posted what the different point values are for the different season weeks in both a one bedroom and a two bedroom at Grandview Las Vegas. A two bedroom in the high season gets you 122,000 points, the midseason is 98,000 points and I think the the low season is 61,000 points. The maintenance fees for this year are $803 for all of those weeks. I'm not sure I have the one bedroom point values correct but I think the high season might be 61,000 points, the midseason 49,000 points and the low season 28,000 points. The maintenance fees on the one bedrooms is slightly over half of what the two bedrooms are.

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was a poor example, because they're both already points resorts. I'm more interested in some properties that are currently weeks resorts but may later switch to points - removing the current PFD eligibility. I'm just wondering more generally about how the process works - for instance, that $5k fee might be well worth it if you could convert multiple high value weeks at one time. The 122k GV ownerships sell for quite a premium even in resale - the 98k weeks are, of course, still available for next to nothing.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
At Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort in Myrtle Beach, the charge was $3K to convert all four of my weeks to RCI Points. Then I bought a week about a year later to have a week still in weeks, and they went ahead and added it as a points week, so now I have 5 weeks in prime season for $3K. I did not want that last week in points. I wanted to keep a week for cheaper exchanges to some places where TPU's are substantially lower than RCI Points.

It was a good deal for me at the time, but things have changed. I am upset with fees resorts are allowed to charge to exchange weeks, including Hilton's $25 per day fee and Manhattan Club's $56 per day fee, and there are many others. I am just tired of paying fees that our resorts do not charge.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want points you should buy point weeks at either Grandview Las Vegas or one of the other Vacation Village properties like VV Parkway that give a high number of points for red/high season weeks. I would never recommend buying weeks weeks and converting them as you will spend a great deal of money needlessly.

Good advice. I can't imagine how anyone can advocate buying a Week and paying to convert it to Points. Back when I wanted to join RCI Points I found a Resort (Peregrine) that was willing to give me a Week already converted to Points. I don't remember precisely so it is possible I paid them something like $100 to do the paperwork. Their incentive was to get someone to pay the MFs.

George

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort in Myrtle Beach, the charge was $3K to convert all four of my weeks to RCI Points. Then I bought a week about a year later to have a week still in weeks, and they went ahead and added it as a points week, so now I have 5 weeks in prime season for $3K. I did not want that last week in points. I wanted to keep a week for cheaper exchanges to some places where TPU's are substantially lower than RCI Points.

It was a good deal for me at the time, but things have changed. I am upset with fees resorts are allowed to charge to exchange weeks, including Hilton's $25 per day fee and Manhattan Club's $56 per day fee, and there are many others. I am just tired of paying fees that our resorts do not charge.

Just to confirm, all of the weeks that they converted for you were at the same resort? I'm still quite curious about whether one RCI Points resort has the ability to convert other Points resorts' weeks as part of a package deal.

I'm nervous about buying weeks at a resort that could transition to points at any time, and lose PFD eligibility. If it's possible to convert multiple weeks from different resorts through a single resort that offers an inexpensive conversion, I might be able to recover some value that way.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I think the key here is whether the multiple resorts are within the same system. For instance, if you had weeks at Grandview and at VV Parkway they could convert them both to points at the same time for 1 fee. However, if you had a week at Grandview and a week at another non VV resort I would expect you to have to pay 2 fees. I say this with some confidence as I did an upgrade at Grandview, which included a weeks week at Grandview, and they converted both the week I had at Grandview and the week I had at VV Bonaventure to points at the same time. Just 1 transaction with no additional fee for Bonaventure.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Just to confirm, all of the weeks that they converted for you were at the same resort? I'm still quite curious about whether one RCI Points resort has the ability to convert other Points resorts' weeks as part of a package deal.

I'm nervous about buying weeks at a resort that could transition to points at any time, and lose PFD eligibility. If it's possible to convert multiple weeks from different resorts through a single resort that offers an inexpensive conversion, I might be able to recover some value that way.

Just because one resort does it, doesn't mean the one you are looking at will do it. Resorts can sell their inventory for under $1000 especially inventory that they took back free from owners who bought, paid it off and then gave it back to the resort. Resorts in active sales generally don't. I think the only resorts where you can expect more than a slight discount for the second or third conversion would be ones not in active sales and one who have not hired a 3rd party points marketer that is taking cuts similar to developer sales (50%+).

I think the resort that Cindy converted multiple units with has now given their excess to Wyndham and is not even converting to RCI points anymore.

I also think that if you own a 1-52 float week regardless of which week you are deeded at, I don't think you can count on getting as many points as you get now. And if the resort is Massanutten, I would count on $2000 minimum per week to convert. Your best bet at that point if you want to stick with something in RCI points or RCI points eligible is to give away the Summit weeks and buy something already converted to points. Keep an eye out now for already converted summer weeks at Woodstone and Regal Vistas.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, I converted a few years ago to RCI Points, and with Wyndham's takeover, Wyndham will be selling only Wyndham points, but there is an opportunity there for anyone owning Presidential Villas and Plantation Resort to convert for a low price. If anyone owns at Pres Villas and wants to get Club Wyndham access, that is the way to do it.

Three annual weeks could get you over the top of that million point threshold considered Platinum. It's not a bad way to get your foot in the door of Wyndham, and if you play your cards right, you might be able to get it for under $20K. That might seem ridiculous to some people, but Platinum is a great level to achieve. 50% point discounts, Club Wyndham access, and of course RCI options that are superior because those include RCI Points reservations you cannot get with weeks. It's a great deal for everyone who owns Pres or Plantation.

Last edited:

Martdoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question, I have one week EOY at Plantation resorts in their summer high season (bought via developer long before I found TUG), and I have 308k Wyndham CWA resale (bought after I found TUG). Is there a possible deal to be made to convert the Plantation Resorts week to developer CWA points and somehow pull the resale points in? We just moved from California, we used our CWA to stay in San Francisco more than once, but it would have been nice to have access to WorldMark resorts, they blocked us on those due to CWA resale account.