• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desert Springs Villas I, II and Shadow Ridge studio: which one do you prefer?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Going to Palm Springs in early June. Which resort do you prefer for size of units and resort amenities, if all you can get is a studio? Also, are the cooking areas pretty much the same in these studio units?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
All of the efficiencies are limited in terms of "cooking areas". You get a microwave, a tiny dorm-like refrig and that's it. I think that some of the newly remodeled DSV1 units may have a bigger refrig but that's it. None (IIRC) have dishwashers.

So if you want a cooking area, you should reserve a 1 BR unit.

DSV1 and DSV2 share much of the same resort amenities. DSV 1 efficiencies have two twin beds, DSV2 has a single king as does Shadow Ridge.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DSV1 studio is the largest with both a walk in shower and a separate bath tub. Room itself is also larger, downside is that it has 2 beds instead of 1. The other plus is that access is through a separate private foyer and the 1BR and studio do not share a connecting door, making the room quiet.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
All of the efficiencies are limited in terms of "cooking areas". You get a microwave, a tiny dorm-like refrig and that's it. I think that some of the newly remodeled DSV1 units may have a bigger refrig but that's it. None (IIRC) have dishwashers.

So if you want a cooking area, you should reserve a 1 BR unit.

DSV1 and DSV2 share much of the same resort amenities. DSV 1 efficiencies have two twin beds, DSV2 has a single king as does Shadow Ridge.

We were just at DSV1 earlier this week and saw a remodeled studio, while we stayed in a 1BR. They changed the location of the kitchenette as it is now along a side wall. They replaced the mini-frig with a 3/4 size frig, which is a very welcome enhancement. I don’t recall if there is a dishwasher. In addition, the beds are larger than a twin. Either queens or standard size. No couch/hideabed.

Best regards.

Mike

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. Sounds like DSV1 suits us well. Hope Early June is not oppressively hot and we can still do things at least early in the morning or late in the afternoon/evening.

taffy19

Reaction score
You should be OK. Don't forget to visit Joshua Tree National Park and the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway too. There are some threads posted about what all to do so you will not be bored.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Desert Springs 11 this week in a newly remodeled unit. Stil has fresh paint smell. They did a good job with an expanded kitchenette in the lock off. Large new televisions although they are a bit quirky. Sofa in the lock off is not quite full size.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I’ve been there in early June to play golf with friends, since the courses drop their green fees. We try to tee off around 9am when the temperature is around 90 and finish by 12:30 or 1pm when it is about 100-105. That has been our experience. It is hot but low humidity. What ever you do, make sure to stay hydrated. Have a great time.

Best regards.

Mike

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I'm happy I found this thread. I had the option to between DVS1, DVS2 or Shadow Ridge. I chose DVS1 because I heard it was connected the JW resort and we would have access to the facilities there and it was on the golf course. I booked a 2 bedroom. Are they newly renovated?

I'm going in December over Christmas. The II rep said that there is construction going on but it will be done in December. Does anyone know what kind construction is going on? Are they renovating the units?

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm happy I found this thread. I had the option to between DVS1, DVS2 or Shadow Ridge. I chose DVS1 because I heard it was connected the JW resort and we would have access to the facilities there and it was on the golf course. I booked a 2 bedroom. Are they newly renovated?

I'm going in December over Christmas. The II rep said that there is construction going on but it will be done in December. Does anyone know what kind construction is going on? Are they renovating the units?

They are renovating all the units at DVS1. Only about half were completed when I was there a couple weeks ago, but they already started to work on the other half and may be done by December.

ALSO: Regarding the Studios, the balconies for all the studios at DVS1 face the parking lot. I believe DVS2 studio balconies face the golf course.

While there, visit the Annenberg Estate. There is a free guided walking tour of the gardens that is informative and recommended. There is also a guided tour of the grounds that you have to sign up for. There is a fee and there are limited tours. There is also a tour of the home. For this you need to sign up a couple months in advance. It is in Palm Springs so an easy drive.

Joshua Tree National Park is a lovely visit, but not sure if I would do it when the temps hit 100+ degrees.
Another interesting place to visit is Cabot's Pueblo Museum in Desert Hot Springs. Again, I would probably not go there in the 100+ weather.
Do not miss the Living Desert Museum. But go early in the hot weather.
Best time for the Aerial Tram is the summer due to the much cooler weather at the top. Be prepared for snow if you go in the winter

Have fun
Jeff

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ALSO: Regarding the Studios, the balconies for all the studios at DVS1 face the parking lot. I believe DVS2 studio balconies face the golf course.
Not true, nothing faces the parking lot. It does avoid an immediate view of the air-con compressor if you ask for a corner unit.