• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Just upgraded to Chase Premier Plus today. For $10/yr the extra point/$1 spend at Marriott and the free night up to 35,000 instead of 25,000 seemed an obvious though not thrilling improvement. And the small signing bonus didn't hurt.

Another possible way to go that I have read about, though I have no first hand knowledge of whether this will work: so long as you have not received a bonus for a Chase Marriott credit card within the past 24 months, you could consider canceling your current card. Then wait 60 days and apply for the new Chase Marriott Premier Plus credit card (and its 100K Marriott point bonus). You also probably need to be eligible under Chase's 5/24 rule (no more than 5 new credit card sign-ups within the past 24 months).

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife got a 10k upgrade bonus. My new application is pending review. Shouldn't be an issue as my credit is near perfect. I dont have any recent new Chase cards but the ones I do have are high limit. May need to adjust that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife got a 10k upgrade bonus. My new application is pending review. Shouldn't be an issue as my credit is near perfect. I dont have any recent new Chase cards but the ones I do have are high limit. May need to adjust that.

10K as opposed to terminating for 60 days and getting 100K?

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to say she took it, that was the offer.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Marriott 100,000 Bonus Point - Limited Time Offer
By The RewardBoss/ Boarding Area/ therewardboss.com

"Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card has a new 100,000 bonus point offer. I love 100k bonus credit card offers – unfortunately many of us won't qualify because of the 5/24 rule. But in case you haven't signed up for too many cards, this is a good one to get if you like to stay at Marriott, Starwood, or Ritz-Carlton hotels. While I have too many cards and wont qualify, I'm suggesting this to my family who rarely chases credit card bonuses...."

Marriott-100000-Bonus-Point-Offer-700x350.png

Richard

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well for 35K points a year might be worth it. We got rid of one of the cards couple of years ago because in California is so hard to use the free night.
My husband and I have the Chase Saphire card. I just love the flexibility for airline tickets.

Could you please explain the flexibility you get for airline tickets with the Chase Saphire card?

Thank you.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wirh chase saphire you have access to all
Major airiles and some low cost. Prices are similar or sometimes better than expedia Or google flights.
You can choose to pay some in cash amd sone in points, so you do not need to wait to accumulate 25k points for example for a domestic ticket.
Any amount of points can be used towards your travel.. hotel flight car.
This summer I was able to book 3 tickets to London with ~112K points in mid june. LAX direct to london on united. Ticket was advertised at $570 a piece.
So far so good I like it, hopefully it will keep on going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I applied to see what would happen. I hold the current black card and they had offered 10,000 miles to upgrade, which I didn’t take.

Same here. I checked for both me and my husband. Just a measly 10k to upgrade.

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was offered 20,000 points to upgrade. I wonder what the criteria are for the different upgrade offers (evidently from 10,000 - 30,000 points).

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had Chase Marriot Rewards Platinum Visa (black card) for many years.
I called yesterday and was told that I was eligible for the new card but I couldn't carry both at the same time. I have to cancel my current card and apply for the new one.
Since my current card expires in August, I will wait until then before deciding whether to cancel.

I asked what happens to the free night if I keep the current card. Specifically do I continue to get a category 5 or can I choose a room with up to 35,000 rewards points. She didn't know about the points but said I should continue to get the category 5.

I asked if I had to wait 60 days after cancelling before applying for the new card and she said no.

The current card has worked nicely for us. We recently became lifetime gold n/k/a platinum, in large part because we charged large expenses such as college and business expenses and received 1 night for $3,000 spent

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We need the 15 nights on our June anniversary to help get us to 500 nights by year end so we are keeping it past August or so to make sure we get the 15 nights plus a couple of additional nights through the Visa card spending.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I called yesterday and was told that I was eligible for the new card but I couldn't carry both at the same time. I have to cancel my current card and apply for the new one.
Since my current card expires in August, I will wait until then before deciding whether to cancel.

I asked what happens to the free night if I keep the current card. Specifically do I continue to get a category 5 or can I choose a room with up to 35,000 rewards points. She didn't know about the points but said I should continue to get the category 5.

I asked if I had to wait 60 days after cancelling before applying for the new card and she said no.

The current card has worked nicely for us. We recently became lifetime gold n/k/a platinum, in large part because we charged large expenses such as college and business expenses and received 1 night for $3,000 spent

I wouldn't jump too quickly. From the Terms and Conditions link for the new credit card (appears on the Marriott website):

The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. If you are an existing Marriott Rewards Premier customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new card member bonus if you change products.

I too have held the Marriott black credit card for several years. DW is currently an authorized user on my card. We have been thinking about dropping her off and having her apply for her own Marriott black card. The 100k MRPs is nice (but the $5k minimum spend within the first 3 months is a bit stiff). As far as my own Marriott card, I don't think an upgrade offer will be sufficient to get me to jump. I am more inclined to let her get her own right now. If the spend seems possible for both of us, I will cancel my current card and wait 60 days before applying to ensure they don't consider me as just switching products and deny me the new card member bonus (in red above).

Eddymax

Reaction score
Does anyone know the expiration date of the bonus points? Do they have to be used within one year?

I am new to Marriott rewards. Do your yearly free nights expire after one year or can you save them up? Thank you

Squan66

TUG Member
Reaction score
One difference between the old and new Chase cards is the elite nights awarded for each $3000 spent. The old card (for now) includes this benefit, but the new card does not. The terms of service on the old card indicates that this benefit may be withdrawn, but for not it is included. If you are chasing status, this may be one reason NOT to change. Several reviews of the new program indicate that you cannot have both cards, but what's posted here may be true....time will tell.

This is exactly why we won’t be switching for now. We are short for lifetime status. We use our MR CC for everything including my sons full college tuition. My husband uses it for work and gets reimbursed. Often his work charges are 10k a month so meeting spending requirements isn’t ever a problem for us.

Having Platinum status each year has given us silver elite with United. We have received several great seat upgrades while traveling the last few years. I have to take that into consideration when making this change. I wonder if you will have to have the highest platinum status for this going forward.

I guess I will need to run the numbers and see how many extra points we will receive under the new formula that might equate to extra vacation nights.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone know the expiration date of the bonus points? Do they have to be used within one year?

I am new to Marriott rewards. Do your yearly free nights expire after one year or can you save them up? Thank you

MRPs (including the 100k bonus for the new credit card offer) will not expire as long as you keep your Marriott Rewards account active by doing one of the following at least once every 2 years:

Have a paid stay
Redeem MRPs for an award stay
Have a transaction on a Marriott branded credit card
Purchase points
Hold a meeting (attached to your MR account number)
Earn points through a Marriott Rewards partner like Hertz, Cruises Only, or Diners Club

The following activities WILL NOT count toward keeping your account active:

Gifting Points to someone else
Transferring Points to someone else
Receiving points as a gift or transfer
Earning points with Marriott through social media
Linking your account to another program (such as with Starwood or United Airlines)
Receiving status matching across program account (status match challenges based on status in another program like Hilton)
Transferring points to accounts in another program

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is exactly why we won’t be switching for now. We are short for lifetime status. We use our MR CC for everything including my sons full college tuition. My husband uses it for work and gets reimbursed. Often his work charges are 10k a month so meeting spending requirements isn’t ever a problem for us.

Having Platinum status each year has given us silver elite with United. We have received several great seat upgrades while traveling the last few years. I have to take that into consideration when making this change. I wonder if you will have to have the highest platinum status for this going forward.

I guess I will need to run the numbers and see how many extra points we will receive under the new formula that might equate to extra vacation nights.

In the past, free night certificates from the credit card have been good for only 6 months. However, you can call and request an extension on the expiration date.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
In the past, free night certificates from the credit card have been good for only 6 months. However, you can call and request an extension on the expiration date.

Sometime around 2015/2016 the rules changed and the annual Free Night cert period was permanently extended to one year.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

So I cancelled my black card today. I will wait 60 days and then go for the new and hopefully get the 100k. I really haven't need the Marriott Visa card for some time since the SPG Amex came around and we've been scoring mega-points with. My wife doesn't have the card either it would be great to both get the 100k. Timing was perfect for me because I just renewed so I'm cancelling and will get a credit for the annual fee. I probably will lose the free night they already deposited into my account but that is fair. We'll use the SPG Amex on everything we can until the 3 for 1 exchange is stopped including our trip to Marriott's Frenchmans Cove in early July and then transition to the new MAR card later in July. That should be perfect timing.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was offered 20,000 points to upgrade. I wonder what the criteria are for the different upgrade offers (evidently from 10,000 - 30,000 points).

My offer is 10K. I have the card for about 10 months. Wife's offer is 20K. She has the card for 5 years. For 100K points, she should cancel and reapply. I may take the 10K points.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read on Flyertalk that your anniversary date is reset when you upgrade. Your free night certificate would be one year from the upgrade date rather than your current anniversary date. Thus, if you have a free night certificate coming up, you may want to wait until you receive it before upgrading.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get a straight answer when I called Chase so I decided to close my Marriott card. They offered a $50 credit to keep the account open. I'll be applying for the new card next week as she says that it may take a couple of days for the info to process through the whole system. Looking forward to the 100k bonus points as $5k in 3 months is a piece of cake. If anyone is struggling for ideas on what to spend it on, pay your MF fees a little earlier.

The Chase Reps for Marriott are not well versed in the details of the promotion.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1

There is also a Marriott Rewards website that will tell you the same information about the amount of your upgrade incentive.

http://marriottrewards.com/upgrade

In my case, I am being offered 50K MRPs to upgrade my card (which I think is the maximum upgrade incentive).

I just read on Flyertalk that your anniversary date is reset when you upgrade. Your free night certificate would be one year from the upgrade date rather than your current anniversary date. Thus, if you have a free night certificate coming up, you may want to wait until you receive it before upgrading.
Thanks for this valuable piece of information. I see that situation is called out in paragraph 3 of the fine print as well. I was ready to pull the upgrade trigger, but instead I'll wait until July when I receive my free night certificate. According to paragraph 1 of the fine print, I have until 12/31/18 to accept the upgrade offer (hopefully that promise is true).

The Chase Reps for Marriott are not well versed in the details of the promotion.
I was told by the Chase rep that I can reapply almost immediately (wait just a few days) after I cancel my existing card. I specifically asked about a 60-day waiting period before reapplying, and I was told that is incorrect. @StevenTing : Please report back on any snafus encountered in reapplying for the new card.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve, I assume you've had your card for four years?

Mine is just over a year old and my wife's less than a year and they are offering 10K on both, per the link above

I have had my card for 9 years. The upgrade offer was only 10K.