• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado - Summertime location suggestions wanted

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always try to get to a different state once a year. I'm a bit late in my planning - but see a some availability in the Rocky Mountains for mid June - CO, UT and even a couple in MT.

Southwest has great non stop pricing from my area into Denver - so I'm focusing on CO at the moment.

But...reading resort descriptions, it is very apparent that their season is winter and most descriptions are full of ski talk. I'm looking for a resort that offers onsite activities - we are perfectly fine doing a craft or playing bingo but also a location that I can get to area sites within 1/2 drive.

Anything come to mind - actual resort or at least a general location that would be best - Breckinridge, Avon, Vale, etc? I have both II and RCI.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Rocky Mountain National Park - west side! (Granby)
This was the best vacation we ever took as the hiking and scenery were simply awesome.
Of course, this is if you're into those type of activities.

We also enjoyed hiking the Pagosa Springs area as well but would rate it just a bit behind RMNP.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the resort town of Breckenridge for your needs.

It's an historic mining town converted to ski resort town that still has the charm of bygone days. Historic buildings downtown and quaint shops and restaurants in those converted buildings. There are a lot of timeshares to chose from in Breckenridge, and of a more variety of quality levels than some of the other areas. Some of the bigger timeshares will still be quite active in summer.

We just stayed at the Grand Timber Lodge in Breckenridge for spring skiing. I see it in II all the time as an easy trade. I could tell they have an active summer business as they had two fairly large outdoor swimming pools, a children's playground area and numerous grilling areas spread about the grounds. They offered a lot of nice winter activities, so I'm sure they would in summer, as well.

In contrast to Vail, the timeshares are located in and around the town of Breckenridge, and are walkable to downtown. Vail has a cute central village, but most of the Vail timeshares are older and back onto the I-70 highway. None are walkable to anything.

Vail, Avon and Breckenridge are all easily accessible to the highway and therefore to all the area sights and activities. Any of those areas would fit your needs as a base for exploring the area, but I think Breckenridge would provide more of a resort feel to you.

Bach, Beethoven & Breckenridge, now called Breckenridge Music Festival, has been providing summer concert series since 1981. Just one more activity that would sway my decision for a summer stay in that area.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
But...reading resort descriptions, it is very apparent that their season is winter and most descriptions are full of ski talk. I'm looking for a resort that offers onsite activities - we are perfectly fine doing a craft or playing bingo but also a location that I can get to area sites within 1/2 drive.
When it comes to Colorado, if it is not ski talk in the winter, it is hike talk in the summer. For this reason, few resorts offer activities; everyone is outside enjoying the Rocky Mountains.

Of all the timeshares I have stayed at in Colorado, Wyndham Pagosa offers the most onsite activities. Very basic wine and cheese night; don't know if they have bingo, but if any resort in CO has bingo, Wyndham Pagosa is it. Mesa Verde is 90 minutes away and an excellent cultural tour. Wyndham Pagosa is 5.5 hours from Denver International Airport on a good day.

Breckenridge is a good choice. 2 hours from DIA. Not much in the way of bingo, but centrally located for many auto tours with hiking options, for more scenery.

Honestly, if "bingo and onsite activities" are your primary consideration, cruise ship vacations are your best bet.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We were in Estes Park last June- mid June- and it was wonderful! Rocky Mountain National Park, Boulder and the Flat Irons. Red Rock country and ampitheater/Dinosaur Park with it's outdoor fossils of dinosaur tracks . We went to the Celestial Seasonings Factory tour and also the Leanin' Tree Western art museum - also in Boulder. Pearl Street- pedestrain only streets.

Stayed at Rams Horn Resort right at the entrance to the national park. Easy 2 hour drive from the Denver airport.

The national park- you don't have to hike. You can drive and get out of the car at the many pull offs. Do some short walks. There are lots of ranger lead activities. We did a sunset one at Bear Lake. Very awesome.Views are magnificent. I loved seeing the big horn sheep in their natural environment

If I could own at a resort in Colorado this would be it. It is small, and family friendly. Very welcoming. If you arrive on a Saturday night they have a free wine and cheese and hot food reception (indoors and outdoors) where you can meet other guests and the management there. NO TIMESHARE PRESENTATION. Nice fire pits around the resort.

In your unit they leave a bowl of fresh fruit for your enjoyment. I believe they had a mid week cleaning and linen change,

Sunday morning they have a $3.00 all you can eat waffle/buffet breakfast. (more to eat than just waffles). You have your own "cabin" and driveway- very nicely appointed 2 bedroom units with fireplaces.

Barbecue grills. Nice pool and a few hot tubs and hammocks around the resort.They had a speaker come in to do a history talk on Estes Park. Free bicycle usage! Free WIFI and laundry facilities. Small gym.

In the lobby they have homemade cookies. Nice little touches.

The elk like to visit the property daily.

Can't go wrong with this one! There are also plenty of other lodging opportunities there, including the YMCA of the Rockies - plenty of activities for the kids for sure -and there is also a Wyndham property there as well.

Highly recommend. Plenty to do in Estes Park itself as well. Visit the Stanley Hotel- take a tour. Go to the Lazy B western music and dinner show. Shopping. Restaurants. Recreation path around the lake. Historic movie theater. Tons going on.

PS We were originally going to go to southern Colorado- Durango and Mesa Verde. Had the lodging and flights and rental car booked and everything. But it involved 2 connecting flights (from NY) and long layovers and, on top of it the airline changed the itinerary for the worse to the point that I cancelled the whole thing and started over and went with this option and very glad I did!

We could have rented from a Worldmark owner and stayed in Granby, but we chose this instead because there is more to do on the Estes Park side.

https://www.luxuryestesparkcabins.com/?utm_source=TripAdvisor&utm_medium=Main Listing (new 4-25-2016)&utm_campaign=TripAdvisor

Last edited:

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if "bingo and onsite activities" are your primary consideration, cruise ship vacations are your best bet.

Good one - yes, I already do take one cruise a year! Let me explain a little more - out of a 7 day trip there will be a copule "resort days" for us. Time to just hang out as a family and not be on the run doing this or that. With an only child in tow - the resort needs to have activities to break up the day. Yep, it could be bingo, a craft, basketball, shuffleboard, etc. Trust me - if it was just DH and I a good book could be my diversion.

So yes, our preference is that the resort (or even walkable surrounding areas) have to offer something as a diversion. For us, the resort is not just a place to sleep on vacation.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
deleted

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Good one - yes, I already do take one cruise a year! Let me explain a little more - out of a 7 day trip there will be a copule "resort days" for us. Time to just hang out as a family and not be on the run doing this or that. With an only child in tow - the resort needs to have activities to break up the day. Yep, it could be bingo, a craft, basketball, shuffleboard, etc. Trust me - if it was just DH and I a good book could be my diversion.

So yes, our preference is that the resort (or even walkable surrounding areas) have to offer something as a diversion. For us, the resort is not just a place to sleep on vacation.

There is also a water park in Estes Park- right near Rams Horn actually. And- there are food stores- one close to the resort and a bigger one in town, though I actually preferred the smaller one. Liquor store nearby also- everything you could want. Very convenient.

The resort does have lawn games and volleyball and so on as well.

We did also spend like 2, 1/2 days at the resort- swimming and relaxing and so on.

FYI- this was not an exchange. We actually paid the big bucks and rented directly from the resort with no regrets. Another Tugger actually was able to get an exchange here last year, also in June. But it's not easy from what I understand.

Last edited:

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Vail has "walkable timeshares" as well. Vantage Point - in the heart of Lionsquare, The Wren - easy walk to Vail Village. The ones on the other side of I-70 have shuttle buses and the town buses can't be beat for convenience. Unfortunately these are not easy trades.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would recommend the resort town of Breckenridge for your needs.

It's an historic mining town converted to ski resort town that still has the charm of bygone days. Historic buildings downtown and quaint shops and restaurants in those converted buildings. There are a lot of timeshares to chose from in Breckenridge, and of a more variety of quality levels than some of the other areas. Some of the bigger timeshares will still be quite active in summer.

We just stayed at the Grand Timber Lodge in Breckenridge for spring skiing. I see it in II all the time as an easy trade. I could tell they have an active summer business as they had two fairly large outdoor swimming pools, a children's playground area and numerous grilling areas spread about the grounds. They offered a lot of nice winter activities, so I'm sure they would in summer, as well.

In contrast to Vail, the timeshares are located in and around the town of Breckenridge, and are walkable to downtown. Vail has a cute central village, but most of the Vail timeshares are older and back onto the I-70 highway. None are walkable to anything.

Vail, Avon and Breckenridge are all easily accessible to the highway and therefore to all the area sights and activities. Any of those areas would fit your needs as a base for exploring the area, but I think Breckenridge would provide more of a resort feel to you.

Bach, Beethoven & Breckenridge, now called Breckenridge Music Festival, has been providing summer concert series since 1981. Just one more activity that would sway my decision for a summer stay in that area.
I'll second the recommendation for Breckenridge. The thing I love about it is that it's a small town in a beautiful setting and with a ton of outdoor activities for summertime, including hiking, biking, fishing, golf, and just walking around town to take it all in. The town is also less than two hours from Rocky Mountain National Park, so a good jumping-off point for a day visit if you're so inclined (or even if you plan an overnight nearer the park with a later return to Breck). Another thing I like about Breckenridge is that--unlike Vail and Aspen--it's down to earth. Vail and Aspen are gorgeous, but can be a little too uppity for the hoi polloi like me :)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Another thing I like about Breckenridge is that--unlike Vail and Aspen--it's down to earth. Vail and Aspen are gorgeous, but can be a little too uppity for the hoi polloi like me :)
A common saying around here by the locals is "Breckenridge is where you go to ski. Vail is where you go to be seen skiing." :D

Kurt

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
+2 to Breckenridge. We've stayed there twice (Marriott) for summer stays and love the charm of the town and outdoor activities. And the great low humidity and cool temps. Day trips to Aspen and/or Vail are easily doable. Oh and South Park... is just south of Breck.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All - this has been able help me narrow down the options.

Mary Anne - the place you mention looks just like what I am looking for - I put in an OGS just in case, but I doubt it will come to anything. I already spent my excess vacation money on a cruise this year (bingo costs a lot on a cruise) so anything I do from this point needs to be an exchange.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
A common saying around here by the locals is "Breckenridge is where you go to ski. Vail is where you go to be seen skiing." :D

Kurt
I have been to both and many other ski resorts in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana and California. There is nothing in the world, imo, like the back bowls of Vail on a powder day, but it does come at a price. Breck, while nice, has nothing to compare on deep powder days, but may be a better value on most ski days.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All - this has been able help me narrow down the options.

Mary Anne - the place you mention looks just like what I am looking for - I put in an OGS just in case, but I doubt it will come to anything. I already spent my excess vacation money on a cruise this year (bingo costs a lot on a cruise) so anything I do from this point needs to be an exchange.
I don't think Rams Horn has bingo, but maybe that is a cost savings! ;)

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Breck is a fine place to visit but the altitude may bother some folks. Steamboat Springs is the lowest altitude mountain resort at 6700’ and about 3 hours from DEN.

Cheers

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Breck is a fine place to visit but the altitude may bother some folks. Steamboat Springs is the lowest altitude mountain resort at 6700’ and about 3 hours from DEN.
Good point about Breck. Estes Park isn't much higher than Steamboat at 7500'. You don't hear of many people suffering from altitude sickness below 8-9000'.

Kurt

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I love Breck, but it is very high in altitude. There is a new WorldMark resort in Granby. I would try for that one. It's new and pretty and near the entrance to RMNP.

I like the idea of Estes Park in the summer. That's a tough trade. If you have WM points you might be able to put in a waitlist request for Estes.