• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Novice Renter

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I am booking a unit that an owner responded to on Tug (wish list). I have the ability to use Pay Pal. Is that the best way to handle this? I checked and they do not cover Real Estate, so not sure what benefit this would be. Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Thank You

Donna

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Vacation rentals aren't real estate transactions. I always recommend paying with PayPal and a credit card, not a bank account or PayPal balance. The credit card gives an additional layer of protection.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use PayPal and pay with a credit card, you may dispute the charges directly with the credit card company just like any other purchase. PayPal would not be involved in the dispute process.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How to verify that a rental is Legit: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ntal-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/

I agree, use your credit card on PayPal - not your PayPal balance or a bank transfer. If you have a problem, dispute it directly with your credit card. The CC can and will recover your payment, without needing PP's approval.

The owner may ask you to send it the PP payment "Friends and Family," but that eliminates your PayPal protection. Owners want you to do this because it saves them the 3% PP fee, so if it's an issue, you may want to offer to pay the fee.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How to verify that a rental is Legit: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ntal-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/

I agree, use your credit card on PayPal - not your PayPal balance or a bank transfer. If you have a problem, dispute it directly with your credit card. The CC can and will recover your payment, without needing PP's approval.

The owner may ask you to send it the PP payment "Friends and Family," but that eliminates your PayPal protection. Owners want you to do this because it saves them the 3% PP fee, so if it's an issue, you may want to offer to pay the fee.

Denise, The owners sent me the confirmation from Marriott and it looks like they are renting the unit from Marriott. Is this possible? It is a 3 bedroom unit in Hawaii. Could they be using marriott points and then renting the unit to get the cash from the points?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A Marriott Owner could own weeks or points to book the unit they are renting to you.

Have you talked to the owner on the phone instead of only by e-mail? I ALWAYS talk to a person first before paying just to get a good feel for the person. This also provides me piece of mind. I have paid for rentals via Paypal, and also by check. Using a credit card through PayPal would provide additional protection over a check, but some owners prefer to avoid the PayPal fees.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... The owner may ask you to send it the PP payment "Friends and Family," but that eliminates your PayPal protection. Owners want you to do this because it saves them the 3% PP fee, so if it's an issue, you may want to offer to pay the fee.

Paypal fees the person renting the unit can be a add on to the maximum rental price?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Paypal fees the person renting the unit can be a add on to the maximum rental price?
If you are talking about the maximum rental price on the Last Minute Rental Forum - the answer is NO. The maximum price you can charge is $100 per night - you can't add fees to use Paypal, or any other kind of payment method. You can't add confirmation fees either.

Denise, The owners sent me the confirmation from Marriott and it looks like they are renting the unit from Marriott.
I am confused by your wording. If the owner is renting from Marriott, that is a sign of a scam. This is how it works:

The scammer goes online or calls Marriott and makes a hotel type reservation (not a timeshare owner's reservations.) They hold it with a credit card, but pay nothing.

Then they save/print out the confirmation (they may also edit it) and rent it to an inexperienced renter (or maybe lots of inexperienced renters.)

At the last minute, the scammer cancels the reservation, removing their card from the reservation.

Then the unsuspecting renter(s) checks in, and finds they have no reservation.

Or you may check-in and find there is a reservation in your name, but it's just a reservation that hasn't been paid for - and you must pay the resort for it.

If you are renting a timeshare reservation from a timeshare owner, then they should send you the timeshare reservation to review.

Last edited:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was a total scam. Glad I am only out 100.00. Will dispute the 100.00 with my credit card company and PayPal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How did you find out it was a scam?

You don't even need to dispute it with PayPal - dispute it with your credit card company ASAP, and they will get the money back from PayPal for you.

Please post the scammer's name, email, and any other contact info to warn other renters.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Denise, The owners sent me the confirmation from Marriott and it looks like they are renting the unit from Marriott. Is this possible? It is a 3 bedroom unit in Hawaii. Could they be using marriott points and then renting the unit to get the cash from the points?

To be clear, there are two types of Marriott points - Marriott Rewards Points and Marriott Destination Club Points. MR Points are associated with the loyalty program, DC Points are associated with timeshare ownership.

Renting out intervals booked by an MR Member using MR Points is prohibited.

Renting out intervals booked by a DC Member using DC Points is allowed. (In fact coincidentally I have used Denise's company to rent out several 3BR Hawaii intervals booked using DC Points.)

I have the same questions as Denise - what does the confirmation show and how did you determine it's a scam?

[ETA] Also, if it is a scam that happened through TUG you should send TUGBrian a message with the User's Name, via the "Inbox --> Start a New Conversation" portal on the top right of any forum page. TUG is very good about weeding out scammers from legitimate users.

Last edited:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have printed out the whole email conversation and will send it to Brian. I called Marriott, and they could not confirm the reservation that was supposed to be in my name. Denise had it correct as she posted above.

The scammer goes online or calls Marriott and makes a hotel type reservation (not a timeshare owner's reservations.) They hold it with a credit card, but pay nothing.

Then they save/print out the confirmation (they may also edit it) and rent it to an inexperienced renter (or maybe lots of inexperienced renters.)

At the last minute, the scammer cancels the reservation, removing their card from the reservation.

Then the unsuspecting renter(s) checks in, and finds they have no reservation.

Or you may check-in and find there is a reservation in your name, but it's just a reservation that hasn't been paid for - and you must pay the resort for it.

If you are renting a timeshare reservation from a timeshare owner, then they should send you the timeshare reservation to review.

This was definitely a learning experience.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where should I post the names, I would not want this to happen to anyone else. I am glad I followed the guidelines for renting.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
post it here is fine.

however as we mentioned in the private message, the individual you were dealing with is not a TUG member.

Anyone can contact you thru your wish ad...including the general public. Very happy that you followed the guidelines to discover this was a scam before you paid!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also if you want to post a screenshot of the "rental reservation" for folks to see a comparison differenece between that and an acual owner reservation, that would be helpful as well!

if you cant post it here, simply email it to me at TUG@tug2.net and ill post it for you.