• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Amex Change - Do I have this right?

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks to me that if you own developer Svo/vistana...and thus get lifetime spg gold status, and also have spg amex which now credits you 15 nights towards next level, you only have to spend 10 nights a year in Marriott property to get platinum status for the next year. Is that how you guys understand it? Seems like a nice improvement for those who already have gold status.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks to me that if you own developer Svo/vistana...and thus get lifetime spg gold status, and also have spg amex which now credits you 15 nights towards next level, you only have to spend 10 nights a year in Marriott property to get platinum status for the next year. Is that how you guys understand it? Seems like a nice improvement for those who already have gold status.
No. You need to have 50 nights, including the 15 nights bonus from the credit card by each year end to get platinum status for the following year.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. You need to have 50 nights, including the 15 nights bonus from the credit card by each year end to get platinum status for the following year.

ELITE STATUS CREDIT

Coming in 2019: Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program member. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.4

Difference between gold and platinum is 25 nights. If 15 nights from amex count towards next level as it said in email...that would leave 10...right?

Attachments

• 7307EBEA-FA67-44CD-A45C-225DFE8AEDAD.png
    7307EBEA-FA67-44CD-A45C-225DFE8AEDAD.png
    182 KB · Views: 39

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Yes, but your nights start at zero even if you are granted gold status. So you need 35 nights, not 10.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ELITE STATUS CREDIT

Coming in 2019: Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program member. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.4

Difference between gold and platinum is 25 nights. If 15 nights from amex count towards next level as it said in email...that would leave 10...right?
Nice try but NO!

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Which would be a TERRIBLE transfer.
Edit: I realized after my post that this is in the Vistana forum...apologies if it's not applicable to many in this forum.

Depends...At the moment, it's a great and necessary transfer for me. I need the points to hit Lifetime Platinum (with Marriott) in the next few months. Why? I'll be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier...something that can't be achieved after this year.
After I hit LP this year, I'll be using UR for air miles, and my banked MR for the air and hotel travel packages (which aren't a bad deal).

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The current Marriott Chase card offers 1 nights credit towards status for every $3000.00 spend up to a maximum of 15 credits. The email I received from Amex on my cards said I can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status and that this benefit was not exclusive to the Amex SPG cards. My guess is that there will be a spend requirement associated with the nights credited.
The old / current Marriott Visa card gives 15 nights on the anniversary, this is in addition to 1 night for every 3K spending with no limit on accumulation of nights. This second component is not included in the new cards and revised SPG Amex benefits. I expect the old / current Marriott Visa will be removed from circulation in the next few months after the new Marriott Visa gains enough subscribers.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
what about transferring Marriott
points to American airlines points? is it 3:1 . with no bonus/20k miles.
It is a 3:1 transfer, but with a 25% bonus at 60,000 points, to reflect the current 3:1 ratio of point values for existing balances. So no different from today in that respect.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
i don't for the life of me get why marriott didn't adopt the spg point system. change the points required for marriott properties. to a 3:1 conversion for marriott points and then marriott would be 1:1 with cc and with airlines. they have a screwy system
It all depends on what you are used to. I am a Marriott person and to me Starwood has the more "screwy" system. One must guard against believing everyone values things the same way he/she does.