• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hotel sticker shock

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We're home now. The place where we stayed was in a fabulous location, but definitely had a "lipstick on a pig" remodel. As in a painted bathroom vanity (beige) with the prior dusty rose showing through the scratches and chips and a newish pocket door to the bathroom that wouldn't slide easily because the new door was paneled so that it was now too tight for the original opening. All of the furniture in the room was old and out of style, and had been painted the same color as the vanity, and had the same scratches. We had a view of the parking lot on one side and the pool equipment of the neighboring resort on the other. A high point of the property was the exterior areas. There were multiple areas to sit and (kind of) see the ocean that were beautifully designed, and the planter areas were beautiful with spring flowers.

But beggars can't be choosers and it was one of two pet friendly rooms available for Saturday night. And I am thankful that it was available. The cost was high and (it appears) to be based solely on location.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
After I retired and it was just me traveling (I was divorced) and I wasn't staying at one of my six TS Resorts I stayed almost exclusively at Motel6s. My reasoning was simply why should I spend a lot of money when about the only thing I used the motel room for was sleeping and a shower? I found many of the newer Motel6s relatively decent. When I ended up in one of their older properties or in one in a bad neighborhood I propped a chair under the door handle and slept with my 38 Detective Special next to me. Truth is that I never had a problem and saved a lot of money. To each his own I guess!!

George

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stay in a lot of low rent hotels/motels while traveling I used to be a Starwood girl, but now there are only a few areas where I'm willing to pay for a Sheraton with lounge access. We mostly end up in Wyndham and Choice properties, either earning or redeeming points.

This spring (late winter, but there it's what passes for spring) we needed stays in Florida for several straight weekends. Mostly used Wyndham points and cash rates - 3000pts (~$30) plus ~$50-$75 a night in cash. With rates over $200 a night, even at even dumpier places, we thought we got good value. Similarly, we're visiting Charlotte, NC for memorial day weekend for a music festival, and are getting rooms for ~$40 plus 3k points a night, rather than ~$150. Nothig special for sure, but I expect it to be clean and functional, at least.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is reminding me of my very first timeshare presentation in 1990 or so. Trendwest (later became Worldmark) invited me to attend. Held in an office building in San Jose. I received a "boombox" with nice features. I still remember their prediction that hotel rooms would hit $200 per night -- which seemed astronomical at the time. I bought my first -- no regrets.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
After I retired and it was just me traveling (I was divorced) and I wasn't staying at one of my six TS Resorts I stayed almost exclusively at Motel6s. My reasoning was simply why should I spend a lot of money when about the only thing I used the motel room for was sleeping and a shower? I found many of the newer Motel6s relatively decent. When I ended up in one of their older properties or in one in a bad neighborhood I propped a chair under the door handle and slept with my 38 Detective Special next to me. Truth is that I never had a problem and saved a lot of money. To each his own I guess!!

George

Is that the name of your four legged friend in your avatar?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I agree totally. That's why I have been skewing more toward VRBO and similar sites. Even for business travel. I get an apartment/condo for less than a hotel room - at essentially timeshare maintenance fee rates.

Yup. I’m leaving soon on a five week trip, mostly in Europe, and staying in Airbnb’s for all but a few of the cities. There are some notable exceptions like the Hilton in Bonn where I usually stay that I can get for about €110 (and I’m almost always there just a single night) but generally my average price for the Airbnb’s are significantly less than any Hotel I’d consider even when using points. Only a few years ago I’d be staying in SPG properties almost exclusively and spending loads of points. Hopefully this trip will be another win for Airbnb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last summer we spent 3 weeks in Japan all in AirBnbs. The locations were all incredible. The units were all modern, extremely clean, and well equipped. We stayed a whole week in Kyoto in a stand alone house for $800 total.

It did take a lot time researching and selecting all the units. Then I’m always a bit nervous about getting scammed. But Japanese hotel weren’t an option. Most sleep only 2 to a room and talk about price...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Just called Grand Wailea on Maui to inquire about a 'free' points stay to extend a vacation at our TS in Maui.

$30 resort fee/day
$30 Parking/day
$30 Rollaway fee

$90 per day for a 'free' 2 queen studio garden view for our family of 4. That's $630 for a week!

IMO even a silver crown TS with bedrooms and a kitchen to get the space would be more comfortable. And avoid a $630 charge + expensive onsite restaurants.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do a lot of road trips traveling within the United States from one timeshare to another. I found that by belonging to the hotel rewards clubs, we get a lot more hotel stays with points. After staying two or three times with pay, we earn enough points that the 4th time is usually free. We belong to the Best Western Rewards, the IHG priority Club, Marriott Rewards and ChoiceHotels. Our hotel stays range from $80-$150, depending on location and season. I book all my hotel stays directly on the rewards websites and have received some good discounts. Belonging to the rewards program also gives us a lot of room upgrades when available.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Points are best for one or two night hotel stays when we won't be in the room much and its just the two of us. I start getting antsy after that because it is so cookie cutter.

My DH refuses to stay at a Choice or Holiday Inn, so usually Hampton/Hilton/Hyatt or Courtyard/Marriott for us when a timeshare won't work. AirBnB only works for longer stays because the cleaning and fees add significantly into the cost on shorter stays. Plus it takes time to figure out where to stay and they don't let you cancel reservations up to 2 days before check-in like a hotel. We like flexibility and hotel/TS amenities such a fitness room and pool. AirBnB is not practical for the way we travel.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at Best Western at TFGreen Airport in Warwick RI. We arrived late due to plane delay. They picked us up on the shuttle. We had a late check out, which helped since we didn’t get to sleep until 2 am. Breakfast was included price was $85.00. We usually stay at IHG but we were impressed with the Best Western.
Silentg