• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to upgrade Ko Olina interval trade view with eplus

ArubaEileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a trade this November at the Ko Olina for a 2 bedroom, view code is ZZAB, which I believe is mountain ( parking lot) view. I have purchased Eplus. I heard Marriott does a fall dump in May. How can I see the view code to know if I should trade?

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
II trades won't guarantee you a view. AFAIK, eplus will get you different resorts or unit sizes. But, exchanges have lowest priority when assigning views. The exchange lists a view, but doesn't mean you will be assigned there.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Views aren't guaranteed by II and I don't believe the view i.e. Code is listed until after you make the trade. May be an exercise in frustration. Can you e plus exact size and dates? I have used e plus to upgrade size in the 60 day window but never essentially an exact like for like unit.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can not see the unit code until after the exchange is done. I have used the e-plus to re-exchange for the same dates and same size unit in hopes of getting a better view and I did. Of course the unit code guarantees you nothing.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you already have the lowest view, doing a retrade with EPlus won't hurt anything, worst you will get is what you already have. Of course, as others have stated, there is no guaranty that you will actually get the OV even if the unit code indicates that it is.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you already have the lowest view, doing a retrade with EPlus won't hurt anything, worst you will get is what you already have. Of course, as others have stated, there is no guaranty that you will actually get the OV even if the unit code indicates that it is.
This is what I'd do, actually I've done this once already for a summer trip to Ko Olina, we'll see how it turns out. My situation may not be a good test though because I own there (even though I'm not using my week this time, we're lifetime Platinum, Chairman's club and have multiple units. Thus the other priorities might affect the outcome. Currently I have an OV 2 BR, OV 1 BR, MV 1BR and MV studio. Hoping to get them close and get the MV units combined into a 2 BR onsite. This morning I retraded the other studio I had there (OV) for Aruba so I'll shorten a points reservation I have there. I'll continue to look for retrades on the other units trying to upgrade size/view type.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Why not call the resort "Rooms Control" person who does assignments (could be a team)
and find out first if they adhere to the room type as given up by the owner who deposited,
or if they instead assign by pecking order?

Otherwise you are just guessing.

I have no clue whether or not Ko Olina sticks to the unit type given up.

I've found that resorts do both, and it's never predictable from resort to resort unless you inquire.

Then proceed with your attempts to upgrade accordingly, if needed.
Perhaps a simple request could be honored, and you wouldn't necessarily be given that mountain view.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
The only reliable retrade that would probably guarantee you ocean view is if you trade into a 3 br unit as the majority are ocean view. There are a column of 3 br units that are MV according to the room map in Naia, but I'm not sure anyone has ever reported getting them. It actually faces out toward the Marina and for now it still sort of an ocean view until the next building is put up as there is nothing obscuring it.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had in the past
The only reliable retrade that would probably guarantee you ocean view is if you trade into a 3 br unit as the majority are ocean view. There are a column of 3 br units that are MV according to the room map in Naia, but I'm not sure anyone has ever reported getting them. It actually faces out toward the Marina and for now it still sort of an ocean view until the next building is put up as there is nothing obscuring it.
From my understanding, the 3BR mountain view units are in the trust, so technically there are only 3BR ocean view units in II. Do not forget the lower floors cannot see the ocean...

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had in the past

From my understanding, the 3BR mountain view units are in the trust, so technically there are only 3BR ocean view units in II. Do not forget the lower floors cannot see the ocean...
Couldn't the 3 BR MV be deposited into II by the trust?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I had in the past

Just because a week is in the trust, it doesn't mean it can't be deposited in to the II. You can tell the type of deposit based on the unit code from the II website My History page. It is described in the FAQ of the Marriott II Unit Codes thread.

What do the D and/or H mean at the beginning of Marriott II Unit Codes that have five characters?
The best we have been able to determine is the following; D indicates that the inventory came from a Marriott DC points bulk bank and H indicates the inventory came from a weeks Marriott based bulk bank. Four character Marriott II Unit Codes indicate the inventory came from an owner deposit.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Yes, and not necessarily only because a Trust Member has made an exchange request which would require MVW to make a deposit. MVW is allowed all sorts of ways to mingle inventory among all the buckets including II.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just because a week is in the trust, it doesn't mean it can't be deposited in to the II. You can tell the type of deposit based on the unit code from the II website My History page. It is described in the FAQ of the Marriott II Unit Codes thread.

What do the D and/or H mean at the beginning of Marriott II Unit Codes that have five characters?
The best we have been able to determine is the following; D indicates that the inventory came from a Marriott DC points bulk bank and H indicates the inventory came from a weeks Marriott based bulk bank. Four character Marriott II Unit Codes indicate the inventory came from an owner deposit.
Good point.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Another way you can try and ensure an OV is to book an OV unit for a night before or after your II exchange. I don't know if this would work if your confirmed II exchange is in to MV. However, we had an OV unit code for our stay last December. I rented DC points and booked one night before our stay in an OV studio unit. When I placed our requests I asked to be able to check in to the studio and then after the first night just open in to the 1BR to end up with the full 2BR unit we exchanged in to for the next 7 nights of our exchange. It seemed to work for us.

Last edited:

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Hangloose(?) confirmed this hierarchy with Ko'olina a while back... https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...na-rooms-control-villa-prioritization.269917/

(FWIW, I queried MOC room control for confirmation, but never heard back.)

PRIORITY

1- OWNERS (Weeks, Pure Vacation Club Points and Hybrid Vacation Club Point Owners)..or Weeks or DC Pts reservations are given priority first.
2- ENROLLED OWNER (When Using Exchange Points)

3- OWNER EXCHANGE (MVC Site and Non-Site Owner Exchange (Interval))

4- MARKETING GUEST

5- RENTAL GUEST

6- NON-MVC OWNER EXCHANGE

OTHER BLOCKING FACTORS

7- CONFIRMED RESERVATION TYPE (Villa Size and View Type)

8- BOOKING DATE - An important factor in which many Owners will book 12 – 13 months in advance. Although even booking dates doesn’t always mean that an Owner will get the location and high floor. The reason for that is the Friday, Saturday, Sunday arrivals, along with Destination Point Owners who arrive any day of the week. Best to say that it has to be available on your arrival date based on availability.

9- OTHER FACTORS: ADA, Length of Stay, Scheduled/Unscheduled Maintenance, Emergency Situations, Villa Preferences (communicated by guests)

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another way you can try and ensure an OV is to book an OV unit for a night before or after your II exchange. I don't know if this would work if your confirmed II exchange is in to MV. However, we had an OV unit code for our stay last December. I rented DC points and booked one night before our stay in an OV studio unit. When I placed our requests I asked to be able to check in to the studio and then after the first night just open in to the 1BR to end up with the full 2BR unit we exchanged in to for the next 7 nights of our exchange. It seemed to work for us.
Yep, This is a good trick for any trade. If doing a Encore or MR stay also gets you free parking. I suggesting doing it day before so that it is you Ocean View stay that is first and then the II stay is an extension.