• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So far I love Interval International

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
My SDO timeshare finally closed. I purchased a gold plus 2 bedroom lock off in January and received notification last week that Vistana has recognized the change of ownership. I set up an II account today but was told it can take up two months to link it to my resort, but in the mean time I can browse the directory and purchase getaways. So are I am loving what I see. The quality of the resorts seem superior to RCI.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I set up an II account today but was told it can take up two months to link it to my resort, but in the mean time I can browse the directory and purchase getaways. So are I am loving what I see. The quality of the resorts seem superior to RCI.

They are :) In general, RCI for quantity and II for quality. It's not applicable across the board (RCI has Disney, Hilton, and Wyndham among others), but it's mostly true. I'm sure there will be some who disagree with me.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Interval is affiliated with Vistana (Westin/Harborside) and Marriott, so that helps to raise the quality of their inventory.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I always have preferred II over Rci not only in the quality of resorts but also how II handles the customer service aspect, superior to rci.

I have had great success getting what I wanted with II requests. With Rci never had a good match, always had to use instant exchanges.

Rci is great for last minute exchanges. I recently got a disney resort for 10 tpus.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I think you will have a good argument for liking either system. Right now I am liking the different resort available to me in II. We will see if my opinion changes once I start exchanging. I was just getting tired of all the RCI fees and the lack of good inventory.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's a good trader to own for II? My TSes only trade in RCI, and I'm going to unload the annual points one but likely keep the EOY OY one. Both are great traders with reasonable MFs. Marriotts are great quality, but the annual MF increases are not particularly palatable to me!

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
What's a good trader to own for II? ... Marriotts are great quality, but the annual MF increases are not particularly palatable to me!

That's a loaded question that will spurn additional questions from others on TUG.

It's tough to recommend without knowing your vacation habits, desires, and resources among other things. I own a Marriott trader (Grand Chateau) that works extremely well for me. Then again I'm a Marriott fan (just hit 750 nights last night) and don't mind the MFs.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
What's a good trader to own for II?
This was the SAME question I first asked on TUG around 10 years ago.
Quite a number of people responded with the SAME answer: "Buy only where you want to stay".
I ignored that advice, and bought Marriott weeks with relatively low MF that others claimed to be excellent traders.
Two years later, after having mostly unsuccessful trades, I unloaded those Marriott weeks (at a loss) and purchased Marriott weeks where I wanted to stay.
I have never looked back, unless it's to share what I learned from my mistake.

What is an "excellent trader" today may not be tomorrow. II rules change. Marriott rules change. Availability changes. Popularity changes. Trading power changes. Exchanging is a PITA.
Own where you primarily want to stay.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
This was the SAME question I first asked on TUG around 10 years ago.
Quite a number of people responded with the SAME answer: "Buy only where you want to stay"...Own where you primarily want to stay.

I realize the majority of TUG will offer the same advice you gave. I guess I'm in the minority. I've owned since 2003 and have never stayed at my home resort. I purchased specifically to trade.

Yesterday, we checked into Marriott's Ko Olina (Oahu) for our 2nd exchange (were here in Nov 17), have 2 weeks on the Big Island in Aug, and a week on St Thomas (Marriott) in Dec. YMMV.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The addon to owning where you want to primarily stay is if you cannot get a trade some year that you want, you can always stay instead, so, at least you didn't have to go somewhere you really had little interest in.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's a good trader to own for II? My TSes only trade in RCI, and I'm going to unload the annual points one but likely keep the EOY OY one. Both are great traders with reasonable MFs. Marriotts are great quality, but the annual MF increases are not particularly palatable to me!

I have a non-Marriott that I typically use to trade into Marriotts. But I am unusually flexible and what works for me may not work for you. Definitely keep doing some research and searches on this site to get an idea of what your best options are.

But I'm also a fan of II (my non-DVC timeshare is dual-affiliated with both II and RCI)...

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m in the minority as I bought Marriott units specifically to trade. I have not been disappointed in the slightest (predominantly trading into Hawaii Marriotts), but I’m a fairly diligent II user.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have 5 timeshares. All different resorts. We belong to RCI. Joined II because one Resort was affiliated. II gave us a free exchange for joining. We did the one exchange. Then didn’t renew II.
Our RCI expires in 2020. Will decide next year if we want to keep it. We also have VRI and have used DAE. Lately we have done successful TUG exchanges. They are the easiest because we deal with other TUG members who want to avoid fees for exchanging. All of our timeshares are places we enjoy so if we don’t exchange we can go to them. We just did an RCI exchange for 4 TPUs for VV in Weston,FL
We were planning a trip there to visit our son and the week we wanted showed up. Perfect timing.
Silentg

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Some good posts have been made stating their successful trades. As I mentioned the "buy where you want to stay" philosophy, I should elaborate a bit on why trading was not for me.

Most importantly, my wife is a teacher. My kids are in school. You see where this is going...as we can only travel during the peak (hardest to travel) time.
CLEARLY, exchanging is not a great option for someone in that bucket.
In fact, you can see from those replies that mentioned successful trades - they traded into very good locations, but they were mostly non-peak seasons.

But in addition to that, we have always traveled for 2-3 consecutive weeks per year. Doing this makes exchanges quite a bit more difficult, as ideally you want each exchange to have the same day of the week for arrival. So once you lock in one of those weeks, with, say a Saturday arrival, what do you do when your vacation is approaching and you finally get that offer for your second week, but it has a Sunday arrival? You either need to turn it down and let it roll, or you accept it and pay for a connecting day. Or what if that second week has a Friday arrival. If you accept it, you have adjacent weeks with an overlapping day.

I think exchanging is an EXCELLENT option for people who are retired, or anyone with very flexible travel options, or for those who go for one week stints.
But for a two-income married couple or a couple with kids, exchanging might not be ideal.

My family situation was (and is still) not suited for trading.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Some good posts have been made stating their successful trades. As I mentioned the "buy where you want to stay" philosophy, I should elaborate a bit on why trading was not for me.

Most importantly, my wife is a teacher. My kids are in school. You see where this is going...as we can only travel during the peak (hardest to travel) time.
CLEARLY, exchanging is not a great option for someone in that bucket.
In fact, you can see from those replies that mentioned successful trades - they traded into very good locations, but they were mostly non-peak seasons.

But in addition to that, we have always traveled for 2-3 consecutive weeks per year. Doing this makes exchanges quite a bit more difficult, as ideally you want each exchange to have the same day of the week for arrival. So once you lock in one of those weeks, with, say a Saturday arrival, what do you do when your vacation is approaching and you finally get that offer for your second week, but it has a Sunday arrival? You either need to turn it down and let it roll, or you accept it and pay for a connecting day. Or what if that second week has a Friday arrival. If you accept it, you have adjacent weeks with an overlapping day.

I think exchanging is an EXCELLENT option for people who are retired, or anyone with very flexible travel options, or for those who go for one week stints.
But for a two-income married couple or a couple with kids, exchanging might not be ideal.

My family situation was (and is still) not suited for trading.
I have that overlapping situation for a dec. trip. I have a Sun. Checkout but a Friday check in before that Sun. Can't figure out how to make this a benifit and not a loss of two nights in awesome locations. Ones in SoCa and ones in NoCa

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have that overlapping situation for a dec. trip. I have a Sun. Checkout but a Friday check in before that Sun. Can't figure out how to make this a benifit and not a loss of two nights in awesome locations.
I have had an overlap day before, Sun check in, then a Sat check in. I just told them to link the 2 reservations and not move us.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I exchange only - never been to any resort I own.

Hubby and I both work and we have a 12 year daughter - so yes....school schedules are what we do. Over the last couple of years during non summer school breaks (so - Christmas, winter and spring school vacations) we have been to Marriotts in Orlando, Aruba and St Thomas. Hyatts in San Antonio and Sedona. Ski weeks in New England.

Why don't I own where I want to go? The only two places we consistently go to year after year, sometimes a few times a year are Orlando and New Hampshire. The cost of a getaway/extra vacation or trader MF and exchange fees are typically less than what I would pay for in MF for the resorts I stay in. The other trips for the year are always to someplace new.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Everyone seems to have good rationales for why they do what they do. This just shows that there is a lot of flexibility with timeshares. It's a shame timeshares have such a bad reputation because they are actually quite flexible and can get you better and bigger accommodations for less money - whether you buy to own or buy to trade.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
My account is all set up and I started searching today with one half of the lock off and I was able to see
Westin Nanea Ocean Resort Villas with an optional upgrade to a 2bedroom. Is this beginners luck?
So far I am very pleased with II.

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned for about six months. It's been great so far, but perhaps I got lucky. I acquired two of the cheaper one bedroom Vistanas - I wanted to at least have some sort of priority. I don't intend to ever stay in either one. I'm flexible, with both time of year I can travel, and with being able to travel last minute. Also, Interval seems to give out "accommodation certificates" somewhat regularly - I've already gotten 2. So far I've booked:
Marriott Pulse Boston Custom House - $199 (this became available two days in advance, so definitely last minute)
Baja Point Los Cabos 3bd - $275 (4 months in advance)
And back to back weeks in Hawaii this December (mid-month), with a 2bd at the Marriott Waiohai in Kauai, followed by 2bd at Westin Nanea, swapping my 1bds and paying the exchange and $59 upgrade fee.
Now, this could just be luck and things could go downhill from here - ownership is a long term commitment. But keeping my fingers crossed for now!

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
My account is all set up and I started searching today with one half of the lock off and I was able to see
Westin Nanea Ocean Resort Villas with an optional upgrade to a 2bedroom. Is this beginners luck?
So far I am very pleased with II.
Sort of beginners luck, there was a large deposit recently - I think that particular week might be Thanksgiving? I'm assuming less demand. I check every day, often there are only one or two random properties in Hawaii for the next year. Patience and flexibility is key.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Redacted: TUG asks that you only post Exchange Company Sightings on the Sightings forum - it is a benefit of TUG membership.]

Last edited by a moderator:

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I imagine is partially luck and also being flexible. Either way, I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I was with RCI for 8 years and although I got some great trades I am happy I switched to II.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Overall, I like II better than RCI. The only trip I like with RCI is the Tradewinds catamaran cruise. We are going on one next week to St Vincent and the Grenadines. I hope it will be as amazing as it sounds. I will post afterwards!

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
Overall, I like II better than RCI. The only trip I like with RCI is the Tradewinds catamaran cruise. We are going on one next week to St Vincent and the Grenadines. I hope it will be as amazing as it sounds. I will post afterwards!

I'm glad to hear you love II. I will definitely love hearing about the Tradewinds cruise, sounds amazing!