• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
They are continuing. Point values may increase. A marriott rep was interviewed by TPG. 25-min video. Rep stated they would continue, but didn't answer question on points remaining the same.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

I had some of the same questions, which is why I started a separate discussion about Travel Packages - Now or Later?

purduealum91

TUG Member
Reaction score
I missed out on Chase's Sapphire Reserve Credit Card (and the 100,000 points bonus). To me, the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card is the current #1 travel card. I see Marriott's new Rewards Premier Plus credit card will only off 2x points per $1 spent on travel, food, etc. Anyone else dismayed this new card does not match Sapphire's earnings rate?

Tom

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My MVCI timeshare ownership has nothing to do with whether or not I have any hotel rewards status with Marriott. When we became Marriott timeshare owners there was no affinity arrangement that gifted us any status level with Marriott Hotels. When the agreement between MVCI and Marriott Hotels to gift MR status to certain owners came about years later I agree it was a nice enhancement (aka perk). If someone bought into MVCI and made that decision (at least in part) on what hotel status level they were getting with Marriott, I guess I can see them feeling devalued (if this was part of the basis for their ownership decision).

For us, it wasn't. Hotel recognition is nice, but with or without it we've gotten everything out of our timeshare ownership that we bought and paid for. YMMV
We bought in Sep 2017 with the enticement of platinum elite status that comes with Presidential level. That was a main consideration in our purchase to get us to Executive vs. Presidential level. If it does not move to PP, it is a definite devaluation of what we were sold.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I missed out on Chase's Sapphire Reserve Credit Card (and the 100,000 points bonus). To me, the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card is the current #1 travel card. I see Marriott's new Rewards Premier Plus credit card will only off 2x points per $1 spent on travel, food, etc. Anyone else dismayed this new card does not match Sapphire's earnings rate?

Tom
To come close to $450 CSR, you need to compare it to the new $450 SPG Amex. Otherwise, you are comparing a Chevy to a Ferrari.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree about the Chase Sapphire card. I love mine. But remember, the free night that comes with the new $95 Marriott Premier Plus card during the week can be a very nice deal. We mostly use hotels on our travels now, and during the week a night can be almost $250 to $300 depending on where it is. We always make out very well on our "free" night cert., whether it's our Marriott, IHG, or Hyatt. With our IHG free night I have stayed at a many of a jaw dropping Intercontinetal , although starting very soon that will not be the case. I have pulled out my "free" night credit card night, and then boxed it with points. I sure wish the now Kempinski in Berchtesgaden was still an Intercontinental. Stayed there many times doing that and many others. My all time favorite , however was at the IC in Oman! It was sheer heaven and Middle Eastern hospitality at it's finest :). AAHHHH VERY happy memories at that one :)

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We bought in Sep 2017 with the enticement of platinum elite status that comes with Presidential level. That was a main consideration in our purchase to get us to Executive vs. Presidential level. If it does not move to PP, it is a definite devaluation of what we were sold.

I can understand your position and could feel similarly if it was a factor in my MVCI purchase.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One would certainly hope that MVC would not devalue the Owner benefits currently offered.
There was always the caveat though in their January 2017 email to Owners that
“This upgrade will be reviewed on an annual basis.”

elleny76

Reaction score
Not sure what you are referring to so to clarify what I meant... I get 130K MR for my week and I haven't exchanged it for points since 2003. It is not worth it. if there is any value to be found with MRP's anymore, your best shot is with travel packages. If you think there is no value with travel packages or you believe there is great value outside of travel packages .... You have got to be kidding!
If I buy any 1 week Marriot TS I can change to 130k Marriott points? thanks

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I am at 609 with 2.5M points. I have 5 weeks already planned out through year end. I have work trips of 10 days. My son will be spending 5 month in SF starting next week flying home every few weeks. He has offered to use my rewards number since he has benefited from my status. I am 100% confident it would work. This would easily put me at 750. I refused the offer. Two reasons... one it will ultimately delay him reaching a status on his own. The other is as a lifetime gold I would be moving to a lifetime platinum and that is good enough for me. Room upgrades are nice and I will take them when I can get them but access to the lounge and breakfast on weekends is the benefit I enjoy the most. It translates to real savings. I did not see a way to get lifetime platinum premier status but if i can't get there moving forward every timeshare stay we do, I will change to me my sons MR number at check in.

I am most disappointed by the continued devaluation of the MR program. A 40% increase from 25K to 35 K for a cat 5. I am going to Savannah this summer after Hilton Head. I am staying in the Historic area at a Cat 7 hotel costing 119 dollars with my work discount... even AAA has a rate of 212. This is about .006 cents per point at the AAA rate. imagine come August 1st.
Mrp are devaluing like Hilton honors pesos!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So no resale_week can be transfer to Marriot points at all?.. tx How About resale marriott TS points ?
Resale Marriott TS points, after paying junk fees can be converted to MRP at a current ratio of 1 DC points to 40 MRPs. Only a certain percentage of DC points can be converted depending on your DC Elite status. But it is far cheaper to just buy MRPs from your Marriott or SPG account than to pay for a timeshare with the intention of converting to hotel points.

elleny76

Reaction score
Resale Marriott TS points, after paying junk fees can be converted to MRP at a current ratio of 1 DC points to 40 MRPs. Only a certain percentage of DC points can be converted depending on your DC Elite status. But it is far cheaper to just buy MRPs from your Marriott or SPG account than to pay for a timeshare with the intention of converting to hotel points.
Please Help me out here.. I wanted to buy a Marriott and being looking for a while so lets see this time . Just curious about the exchange points if I ever need to convert. So if I buy 1900 points Marriott TS then I have to pay "junk fess"? is this junk fees annually to convert? what is a junk fee appx(?). Then how many MRS do I get with a MCV 1900 points? just curious to finally start learning this program(good and bads) thanks

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Please Help me out here.. I wanted to buy a Marriott and being looking for a while so lets see this time . Just curious about the exchange points if I ever need to convert. So if I buy 1900 points Marriott TS then I have to pay "junk fess"? is this junk fees annually to convert? what is a junk fee appx(?). Then how many MRS do I get with a MCV 1900 points? just curious to finally start learning this program(good and bads) thanks

Start here:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/faq-mvc-destinations-points-program.197346/

Then use search for Points discussions, rather than on this thread.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Anyone get an email update on the Marriott side? Vistana just got one.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
If I buy any 1 week Marriot TS I can change to 130k Marriott points? thanks

When I made your quoted comment I was referring to a summer Monarch week that provided 130K MRP every year. I purchased resale from Marriott a long time ago. The exchange offer no value for the longest of time. It has only gotten worse with the latest announcement.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Tom

Chase points do not equal Marriott points. You can't merely compare 3x Chase points vs 2x Marriott points, it's like saying 3 yen is better than 2 dollars. You need a value comparison. You can however get an estimated value to assign to each point, the points guy is good at this. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/

That being said, the result is the same anyway as Chase points are worth more. We'll see though how the new MR value out, eventually. The highest value current offer appears to be the Ink business preferred which still gives 80,000 Chase points, worth over $1,600.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yep. That is why we are laser focused on getting to Marriott lifetime gold by year end.
It is possible that those that have Gold or Plat from ownership this year may get mapped in to Plat and Plat Premier depending on how they do that mapping. Though it may be a false upgrade and will go away in February 2019 when MVC sends over the new lists of those that qualify and for what.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible that those that have Gold or Plat from ownership this year may get mapped in to Plat and Plat Premier depending on how they do that mapping. Though it may be a false upgrade and will go away in February 2019 when MVC sends over the new lists of those that qualify and for what.
... Sorry, what is happening in Feb?

Status
Not open for further replies.