• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My HGVC Family and the SFX resort exchange?

elleny76

Reaction score
1.) Do we get discounts to join SFX?
2.) Do I join SFX for free like RCI? I don't see any link like the RCI page
3.) What is the best way to use SFX to exchange properties ?

4.) Feel free to post comment here or PM with ideas and advices.

Thanks

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
RCI isn’t free membership. Some resorts include RCI membership fee in your maintenance fee.
I have always had my own membership to RCI, not tied to any resort. I don’t know about SFX.
Silentg

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
HGVC owners get "free" RCI access based on HGVC's b2b contract w-RCI.
If the cost is hidden anywhere, it's in our $170 annual membership dues.

Typically, HGVC'ers make a home/week booking and deposit that to SFX.
See: https://www.sfxresorts.com/

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The basic SFX membership is free. You can try them out, and then if you think the extra benefits of a paid membership are worth it to you, you can go that direction.

Kurt

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There are a few resorts you can book direct with your HGVC points. This is from the HGVC web site under Club Membership -> Resort Vacation Exchange.

SFX Preferred Resorts

Did you know you can use your points to expand your vacation options through SFX Preferred Resorts?

Expand your horizons with an extraordinary Mexico vacation or explore the beauty of eclectic San Francisco through SFX using ClubPoints, Saved ClubPoints or Bonus Points. Reservations for seven-night stays are available at select resorts in world-class destinations.

Mexico

Acapulco
The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Nueva Vallarta
The Grand Mayan Nueva Vallarta
Grand Luxxe Nueva Vallarta
Riviera Maya
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya
California

San Francisco
Club Donatello
Availability may be limited during certain times, and the resort's standard check-in date applies. Elite Members enjoy a priority reservation window of 365 to 276 days prior to check-in. All other Club Members may access remaining availability starting 276 days prior to check-in. To check availability and confirm reservations at any of these resorts, contact a Club Counselor. Club reservation fee and cancellation policy applies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to join SFX, you'll pay the same fee as anyone else. You can use points to directly book the resorts in SmithOps post, but if you want to do exchanges anywhere else, you'll join SFX and pay exchange fees. I believe they have a lower level free membership - at least they used to. You can also join for a trial period for free.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
If you think you want to use SFX, take advantage of the free trial Platinum.

I used my 1br Gaslamp to get a 2BR Grand Luxxe and got two bonus weeks to boot!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
1.) Do we get discounts to join SFX?
2.) Do I join SFX for free like RCI? I don't see any link like the RCI page
3.) What is the best way to use SFX to exchange properties ?

4.) Feel free to post comment here or PM with ideas and advices.

Thanks

HGVC has an affiliation of sorts with SFX already.
Login to the HGVC website, and click Club Membership -> Resort Vacation Exchange
Scroll down. There's two links.
One for RCI and one for SFX.

You can use your HGVC points to book *certain* SFX resorts (the Vidanta resorts), but you have to call in. The points fees are higher (a lot, IMO) vs. doing option #2;

#2:
Go directly to SFX website (someone's already posted the link). They have a free trial membership where you can deposit a week (doesn't have to be your home week, BTW). The way that works is basically you'll deposit a week, and then put your request in. Sometimes they have immediately availability, and sometimes you'll have to put a search on and wait and see what happens.

I have excellent customer service with Nathan Reynolds @ x1113
(tell him Kevin says hi). haha

Full disclosure:
I'm an SFX Diamond Member (Lifetime) (not sure they still have this option, this was like 10+ years ago). I have excellent success with SFX, but I'm very flexible with my dates, I book 1+ years in advance (or put my OGS in very early) and we usually stay at the Vidanta resorts with SFX (Riviera Maya, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc.). So for *me*, it's $150 for the exchange fee, I get free 1 size upgrades (if available) so I deposit a 1 BR week and usually can get a 2 BR unit. Upgrade fee for Grand Luxxe is $299. They also run deposit promos sometimes where you get some bonus weeks, etc.

But I'd strongly advise to TRY before you BUY.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If you want Mexico, SFX can get it. If you want anything else, it's tougher.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
If you want Mexico, SFX can get it. If you want anything else, it's tougher.

If you want Mexico RCI can get it very easily. What if you want Hawaii in the winter trading in a non Hawaiian non HGVC resort?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Whale season is tough with SFX. I should enter a search for our friends because they love whale season on Maui and wouldn't mind staying in Kihei. I think they get some Maui Schooner, once in a while. I was offered a Maui Schooner once, I couldn't use it.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want Mexico RCI can get it very easily. What if you want Hawaii in the winter trading in a non Hawaiian non HGVC resort?

Whale season period is tough. RCI's choices for Maui aren't very good, IMO. the only one I'd even consider (Ka'anapali beach club?) is the same one that SFX can usually get, but the TA reviews (and the folks on the TA forum) are not very good at all (smelly nasty musty rooms, etc.)

I was able to do a direct exchange with an owner for Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (again, wishing I had access to II). To be honest, almost nobody who owns the Marriott, Westin, or Hyatt there, is going to deposit a prime week for an exchange, IMO. And by exchange i mean not an "internal" one (My understanding with Marriott is that they use II for internal exchanges or something).

RCI for Mexico has very few non-AI resorts, and their Vidanta access is limited up to Grand Bliss level at Nuevo Vallarta. I don't believe they have anything higher than Grand Mayan for Riviera Maya. Plus there's the $239 exchange fee (RCI fee for HGVC owners) and the now, $30/pp/day fee which can add up quite a bit, IMO.

elleny76

Reaction score
HGVC has an affiliation of sorts with SFX already.
Login to the HGVC website, and click Club Membership -> Resort Vacation Exchange
Scroll down. There's two links.
One for RCI and one for SFX.

You can use your HGVC points to book *certain* SFX resorts (the Vidanta resorts), but you have to call in. The points fees are higher (a lot, IMO) vs. doing option #2;

#2:
Go directly to SFX website (someone's already posted the link). They have a free trial membership where you can deposit a week (doesn't have to be your home week, BTW). The way that works is basically you'll deposit a week, and then put your request in. Sometimes they have immediately availability, and sometimes you'll have to put a search on and wait and see what happens.

I have excellent customer service with Nathan Reynolds @ x1113
(tell him Kevin says hi). haha

Full disclosure:
I'm an SFX Diamond Member (Lifetime) (not sure they still have this option, this was like 10+ years ago). I have excellent success with SFX, but I'm very flexible with my dates, I book 1+ years in advance (or put my OGS in very early) and we usually stay at the Vidanta resorts with SFX (Riviera Maya, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc.). So for *me*, it's $150 for the exchange fee, I get free 1 size upgrades (if available) so I deposit a 1 BR week and usually can get a 2 BR unit. Upgrade fee for Grand Luxxe is $299. They also run deposit promos sometimes where you get some bonus weeks, etc.

But I'd strongly advise to TRY before you BUY.

THANK YOU!