• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Hotels in Costa Rica

alhanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to be in Costa Rica for a mission trip and looking to stay another week for a vacation in Costa Rica. Any Marriott hotels that anyone would recommend?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Los Suenos. It is adjacent to condos which have access to the property. Jaco has a lot of prostitutes who used the pool with the condo occupants. Not our cup of tea! Marriott refunded the points we used to stay there. I would not stay there.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Punta Islita Best Hotel in my opinion.
Here is a good thread with lots of info over at flyertalk.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...a-islita-autograph-collection-costa-rica.html

JW is boring. Nothing really Costa Rican about it. Not bad, just you could be at any resort anywhere.

We have been to both several times. Punta Islita is a magical place. Unique. Beautiful. In the jungle and by the sea-at the same time. The JW, is a great "resort", but it could be anywhere. It's a good place to stay for a few days if you want the sun and pool. But, it's not Costa Rica.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mr. Vker, great review on FT. Thanks. Planning for 2019/20 and now reconsidering original plan to stay at JW.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on this info I booked a 2018 5 night in Punta Islita, and we are considering a second at the El Mangrove. Anyone been there?

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
B86B28EA-6271-40C2-862A-08A86C028729.jpeg 16320FBD-5C01-43D4-ADFE-93B7D8CFBFE6.jpeg DEEF945E-3B51-495D-B918-0537E4353F11.jpeg 6E46F2E7-0AAB-4C70-ACD2-6AAF9FD73DD9.jpeg E023DD93-D8B8-4A2C-9B4E-A026416B11AA.jpeg I recently commented on a thread related to “suite night” upgrades and remembered this old thread because I used my upgrades on this trip. We went to CR for the first time in Dec and used two 5 night packages. One at Punta Islita and the second at El Mangoove. I would highly recommend both of these Marriott signature hotels. I seldom find hotel restaurants to my liking but both of these were so good we didn’t feel the need to leave the property for meals. Both had exceptional service and successfully went out of their way to accommodate us regarding food allergies. Both had reasonably priced food and beverage. El Mangoove is a little more swanky while Punta Islita is more casual.

Punta Islita was 2+ hour drive from Liberia. Easy drive but glad I rented GPS. The hotel is on the side of a hill above the beach area. All buildings are one story with the main lobby and restaurant at the top of the property and the rooms located at and below this elevation. The restaurant is a covered open air facility with an adjacent bar and an infinity pool with swim up bar seating. Also located in the main space are comfortable seating areas and a nice shaded deck built around a tree. Many rooms are in single story duplex buildings with private access and outdoor space. There are also single room structures that offer even greater privacy. Every room I saw had a great ocean view. Resort also had a nice fitness center also with view. Many activities at this resort are included in the room rate providing great value. My points reservation was for a fist tier room which by all accounts was very nice. I had requested a “suit night reward upgrade which was not available the first night but was for the rest of my stay. First room was in a duplex building with a small covered outdoor space with two cushioned chairs and a hammock. (Very nice). On day two I received the upgrade to what must have been the best room in the place (pictured). It was a single room building set in private location with large private outdoor area that included outdoor shower, whirlpool, covered cushioned seating area with wet bar, a hammock off to one side and lounge chairs on the other. From the top of hill the walk to the beach is ~5-10 min pleasant walk but a shuttle van is also available. At the beach they have a restaurant/bar, and an additional pool with swim up bar. The seating area is on a grassy lawn with many trees providing ample opportunity to sit in shade overlooking the beach. They also have cabanas available for a very reasonable daily rate. As nice and relaxing as the facilities are our stay was made exceptional by the service provided. I can’t say enough good things about Punta Islita and can’t wait to return.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are going to Costa Rica in July because I won the lottery to exchange my Four Seasons Aviara week for a Four Seasons Costa Rica week. I did extensive research on which Marriott resorts to consider for a 3N pre stay. I considered all the resorts mentioned above but I finally settled on the Playa Conchal area. Then I debated between the Westin and the W. Since I have suite night upgrades, I decided to give the W a shot. It is a brand new resort next to the Westin and it just opened late last year. I heard from a local tour operator that the Westin Playa Conchal is incredible and Marriott is upgrading it to a higher category in March. The Westin is all inclusive yet the prices are very reasonable. You may want to look at the Westin as well as the W.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
We are going to Costa Rica in July because I won the lottery to exchange my Four Seasons Aviara week for a Four Seasons Costa Rica week. I did extensive research on which Marriott resorts to consider for a 3N pre stay. I considered all the resorts mentioned above but I finally settled on the Playa Conchal area. Then I debated between the Westin and the W. Since I have suite night upgrades, I decided to give the W a shot. It is a brand new resort next to the Westin and it just opened late last year. I heard from a local tour operator that the Westin Playa Conchal is incredible and Marriott is upgrading it to a higher category in March. The Westin is all inclusive yet the prices are very reasonable. You may want to look at the Westin as well as the W.
Can you tell me what trade company Four Seasons Costa Rica trades in? I know Aviara trades in II.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Can you tell me what trade company Four Seasons Costa Rica trades in? I know Aviara trades in II.

It does not trade with any exchange company. You can only exchange into it if you own at another Four Seasons and win the annual exchange lottery.