• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Shearwater or Bali Hai??

cnicho

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have never been to Kaui - it will be my husband, my 18 yo daughter and myself. Thanks in advance!!

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shearwater is on an ocean front cliff, so much nicer, but requires more points and is harder to book.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Haven't been to Shearwater yet; it gets better reviews due to location giving units good views. I own at Bali Hai and enjoy going there despite it being more of an internal to a development type of feel. It's generally harder to get Shearwater in RCI because it doesn't show up often; in Wyndham it costs a lot more points to reserve Shearwater. If you've got the points to burn, you might try Shearwater; I plan to try it sometime if I can snag a week inexpensively through RCI that works for my vacation plans, but won't lose much sleep if it doesn't happen because I'm currently happy with Bali Hai.

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bali hai has no views other than its grounds, shearwater is on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Try and rent a villa from an owner.

Trkarl

Reaction score
Many many years ago we got lucky and were able to trade our Orlando 2 bedroom and get the Shearwater before Wyndham bought it and it became points. It was our first trip to Kauai. We have been back several times and bought at Bali Hai and stayed there once. If you can get Shearwater I would say do it because for us it was our best ever Kauai trip.

Getting up in the morning having breakfast and coffee overlooking those cliffs is just incredible. The resort and staff there were top of the line. That was one of the few times when we had weeks that we actually traded up instead of down. Now seeing how many points it costs to stay there I just laugh at how lucky we got then. But if you can and it's your first time to Kauai then go for it if you can. You won't be disappointed imho. Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

DaveHenry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shearwater has gorgeous ocean views from every unit. We love it!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If you own Wyndham points, you can always enter an ongoing search through the Wyndham RCI portal. I have had great success in getting Shearwater that way because Wyndham owners do have an internal trade preference through RCI. The only way I get Shearwater lately is my internal preference through Wyndham/RCI.

I was able to get four Dolphin's Cove units for our family before school started, and I was shocked that I could do it. I had reserved Worldmark Windsor, which we couldn't do for personal reasons (son's addiction), and so our daughter said, "Let's go to Disneyland." It was May when we decided we couldn't make that trip for that first week of August. There were 11 of us going, four separate families. I was sure I wouldn't get anything. All of the Peacock Suites inventory was gone; nothing showing in Worldmark. I got matches within days of entering the request with RCI/Wyndham. We had four units within a month of the request.

MartinK

Reaction score
I took a trip a few years ago to Hawaii and stayed 3 nights each at Shearwater and Bali Hai. As has been said, Shearwater has awesome views, costs more points, and is harder to get.

I would choose Shearwater if you love the sound of the ocean, as you can leave your patio open and hear the waves all night long. Also, if you are going to spend a lot of time in your resort, especially sitting on your patio in the morning/evening (like we did) Shearwater should be a priority. Bali Hai has small patios/garden views, but it is so much different from the ocean view.

If you are just using your room as a place to sleep and plan on spending all of your time away from the resort doing other things, I would save the money and go with Bali Hai.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I picked up Shearwater through RCI. 205K points. I did an OGS and it hit relatively quickly.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I picked up Shearwater through RCI. 205K points. I did an OGS and it hit relatively quickly.

205K Wyndham or RCI? Just saw it in RCI for 82K RCI points.