• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Persistent Rumor] Marriott Leaving Interval International

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I’m another in the buy where you want to go camp.

Years ago we never stayed where we bought. We always bought the cheapest MF units that would get us the trades we wanted through II. That all changed when my medical problems reached the stage of limiting our ability to travel.

The only time we trade now is to maybe get a week in a higher season than what we currently own at our home resort.

I’ve only been into timesharing for about 15 years but in my limited time most owners at all resorts worldwide don’t have a clue about trading. They bought at their resort to stay at their resort. Let’s be realistic. TUG is a small drop in the bucket when it comes to time share ownership and when I talk to people about TUG they have never heard of it.

I surely wouldn’t spend the money buying a Marriott just to trade with. My SBP that I paid $1 for that after all these years still has MF of only $425 has got me into all the Marriotts I’ve wanted to see plus given me priority into the Weston’s I prefer over most of the Marriotts I’ve stayed at. I understand there is a lot of disposable income out there, just not from me.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Until very recently I never used II for a trade. I am a dc Points owner and was looking on the II site for availability on specific dates for specific places and found something. I was Instantly able to trade some of my dc points to II and in return received three one-bedroom units at the Vidanta Grand Luxxe in Mexico which is on par (or higher rated) than a MVCI Resort. It takes some work and patience to find something but I think II helps open doors to locations and resorts which Marriott does not have. One thing however, this would only work for me with instant finds and confirmations.....I would never deposit my Marriott points or week into II and hope something becomes available later on - because if it does not, you cannot pull your deposit back to the Marriott account.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, your post is so accurate. Sometimes my eyes just gloss over at some analysis paralysis by Tuggers. I like a good deal but it is not worth my time to maximize every dollar on every vacation or waste so much time on minutiae. Happier people are "satisficers" not "maximizers". It sounds like the folks in the MVC FB owner group are happy.

Here are some good articles. Many Tuggers appear to be maximizers.

https://www.psychologistworld.com/cognitive/maximizers-satisficers-decision-making

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201109/field-guide-the-maximizer
I would agree with the idea of not being penny wise and pound foolish. One of my assumptions is that those that are OK with just throwing the money away and not worrying about it will not buy timeshares because without savings there is no reason to buy one. Thus it follows that finances have a certain amount of importance to all in question. What I've seen over the years, esp with DVC which you own, is that often many make poor decisions and try to play the "I'm happy with my decision" as a trump card to make it a good decision. IMO they are 2 different things. I would agree that there comes a point where maximizing savings/benefits can be the end point. Personally I enjoy the chase, like Vegas only the odds are in my favor. The better informed one is and the less emotions come into play, the better decisions one will make. It is important to me to be a good steward of the things entrusted to me both time and money.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We gave our Marriott Branson trader away during the Great Recession. When we bought another Marriott last year, I wanted a location I knew I would use if trading went away through Interval. So we bought a Grande Vista platinum 2 bedroom. Between grand kids and snow birding, I would definitely use it.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
And per our presentation salesperson yesterday morning at Grande Vista, the Marriott merger with ILG is a done deal.

On Wednesday's ILG earnings conference call, the ILG CEO Craig Nash (who I'm sure is a lot more in the loop than your sales rep!) said the following about their "strategic opportunities", which is usually a euphemism for mergers and acquisitions:
  • They have complete confidence in their current strategic direction and business plan
  • The Board is nevertheless committed to exploring all paths to maximize shareholder value
  • The company and its advisors are engaged on a variety of strategic opportunities
  • The Board has designated a special strategic review committee composed of independent directors to evaluate strategic opportunities and the proper engagement with relevant parties
  • The Board, management, and their advisors are in discussions with multiple parties, but there is no assurance that any transaction will result from those discussions.
  • He then specifically stated he would answer no questions with regard to the strategic discussions.
So conversations are underway, and it's likely that Marriott Vacations Worldwide is one of the "parties" that they are engaging with, but few, if any, below the Board and Executive Suite really know what is going to happen.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I think I sit in the middle. I do a high level analysis. For example I found a fixed summer week at the Monarch that I paid 5000 for and I can rent for 2300 so I purchased a second week on HHI. I enjoy HHI, I do not mind going, I can rent it and I actually traded into the GO during the summer 2 of 3 years of ownership. In general, I want to pay as little as possible. To a certain extend, I do not mind paying a little more for convenience. Example today I did an exchange for a studio at the Grand Chateau for a 2 BR at the Marriott's Legend in Panama City during Christmas week. I paid the upgrade and re-trade fee. Anytime between now and then I can re-trade for anything my wife wants to do.. even if it is back to a studio. If not, this is a great value for me.

The largest facebook group I know for Marriott that is not run by Marriott is Marriott Vacation Club Owners 55 and Older. It has less than 2700 members. If someone can point to a larger one please let me know. It is one of the only facebook groups that does not allow buy/sell or rent postings. It is purely for exchange of ideas, opinions and information. It is also the sweat spot for legacy timeshare owners, some that have enrolled weeks, some that did not enroll their weeks and some who purchased additional DP's. No one can argue that the enrolled legacy owners and purchased additional points have the lowest cost of ownership for MF's per point that can take advantage of all that DP's have to offer.

Having belonged to the facebook group (55 and older) for a couple of years, i have read feedback on the tours that are 100% positive. It is not a large sample size to number of posts for this group but great feedback. I have seen comments and questions on posts about tours that discussed the point usage vs. real cost. Again, not a real big sample size. I do believe that there are people who do not think about the real cost of a tour. I believe there is a bigger group who know that it is not cost justified but do it anyway because they already have the points and it is a sunken cost. They are happy but their is a big difference between knowing it and still doing tours vs. not caring. The people I know who can really not care about the cost of vacations (also a small sample size) do not own timeshares because they can afford to spend what they need to.

Personally, I believe the same as many that cash is king and with the rental of my timeshares, it gives me independence from both II and MVCI. My first Monarch week is already rented for this summer for 2750. We are planning a family cruise if it can be coordinated but if not it will help fund a tour in Europe for my wife and myself. The destination still TBD.

TUG members are are knowledgeable and while some over analyse, I am not sure it is proportionally any different then those who don't care how they use DP. No matter what your knowledge level is most people are well aware it isn't a fair exchange value for a tour but do it anyway because they can.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I would be guilty of that as my profile states. I am mostly a maximizer when it comes to vacations and money, but nothing else. But that fits the profile as most people are not one of the other in all aspects. As a former system and network admin (amongst other tech jobs), had to make quick instant judgement calls all the time when massive money was on the line. Other times, when a complex situation arose, it was more time for maximizing to debug very complex systems as it was necessary in some cases to resolve a situation. It may not be worth non maximizers time, very true statement. But that does not mean it can't or shouldn't be worth someone else's time, perhaps that gives them great joy (the process). Satisficers like to take the work that a maximizer has done and use it. Coming from where I came to where I am now, I am glad I was mostly a maximizer on money. If you say that a maximizer can't be as happy by definition as some articles claim, then I would suggest the population of true maximizers by that definition is very very tiny. The part about 'buyers remorse' is 100% untrue, at least for me, so, perhaps I don't fit their definition of maximizer. Or, they are wrong or it doesn't always apply. I never regret a decision. So, in that sense, I think one can learn to be a "controlled maximizer" (invented term). Which then becomes a satisficer with nothing more than a little more stringent requirements. Maybe that's really what I am at least in money. I would expect a maximizer to not be able to invest money for example, since the possibilities are really endless and far too complex with too many uncertainties.

Maximizers seem to stress out satisficers for some reason. I really don't understand that at all, why would what someone else does in their own life stress you out? But I get the feeling I am stressing some of you out.

My own conversations on various timesharing forums had lead me to believe the exact opposite, that the people who hated timeshares mostly were the ones who expected everything to just work with no effort or time, i.e., they wanted to believe the salesman and were shocked that maybe it wasn't all true. But I can see from this forum, there is another class of people who appear to be happy and appear to not spend too much time. I am very glad to see that, too many negatives out there.

Loved reading your response. A true Maximizer way of thinking. Or maybe a “Controlled Maximizer” as you said! LOL

Yes, I lean toward being a Maximizer too and need to control those tendencies because when I get too obsessed with the details of maximizing, I stress myself out. My spouse is a Satisficer. We make a good partnership. My spouse laughs at my maximizing tendencies.

I used to be an uncontrolled Maximizer so I can relate to the article’s description of why Maximizers can be unhappy and unsatisfied. It was hard for me to make decisions and I would have regrets until I learned to control my maximizing and grow a few satisficing skills.

Now I am more easily able to take risks and make investments and purchases and worry less about whether I got the absolute best deal. There is always a better deal out there so if I come out in a realistic range, I am pleased.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
P.S. I agree that Maximizers can stress other people out. I think the reason why is because, overall, if we are effective and happy “Controlled Maximizers” then we are successful. When people who do not have good maximizing skills observe us, our process is too overwhelming to them and too much work for most folks, so they get stressed out by us. Also I have observed that many people wish they could be more successful at getting what they want but they do not want to or are unable to put in the Maximizing time and skills. So, “wanna be Maximizers” may get stressed and give up, or just go with the flow and are happy with what they have. Or they let others do the work and then copy. Just a few observations. I am sure there are other reasons too.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
OMG. I'm a Maximizer.

Perhaps I should join a self-help group.
Does anybody know a good group and where to find the reviews, ratings, costs and descriptions?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Jim, your post is so accurate. Sometimes my eyes just gloss over at some analysis paralysis by Tuggers. I like a good deal but it is not worth my time to maximize every dollar on every vacation or waste so much time on minutiae. Happier people are "satisficers" not "maximizers". It sounds like the folks in the MVC FB owner group are happy.

Here are some good articles. Many Tuggers appear to be maximizers.

https://www.psychologistworld.com/cognitive/maximizers-satisficers-decision-making

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201109/field-guide-the-maximizer

Great articles. I too am a maximizer and my DH is a satisficer so it works out well. He has never been on TUG and probably never will. I am the Chief Vacation Officer (CVO) in our house - he is happy to show up wherever I have planned our travels. Planning the trips and maximizing our points is fun for me.

I treat maximizing for points/vacations as a game/hobby and don't have buyers remorse for most day to day purchases. There is one exception: I have buyers remorse about purchasing our first timeshare from the developer and overpaid (but that may also create buyer's remorse for a satisficer as well!)

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
OMG. I'm a Maximizer.

Perhaps I should join a self-help group.
Does anybody know a good group and where to find the reviews, ratings, costs and descriptions?

A perfect Maximizer response. Even for self help, we want to maximize our selection process with reviews, ratings, costs and descriptions! LOL

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Great articles. I too am a maximizer and my DH is a satisficer so it works out well. He has never been on TUG and probably never will. I am the Chief Vacation Officer (CVO) in our house - he is happy to show up wherever I have planned our travels. Planning the trips and maximizing our points is fun for me.

I treat maximizing for points/vacations as a game/hobby and don't have buyers remorse for most day to day purchases. There is one exception: I have buyers remorse about purchasing our first timeshare from the developer and overpaid (but that may also create buyer's remorse for a satisficer as well!)

Yes, I am a CVO too. My Satisficer spouse is happy with whatever I plan, although I have been warned I am not allowed to buy anymore timeshares unless I sell something. In spite of this warning, my spouse signed another contract with me last night but has no idea what anything in it means. Maximizers and Satisficers make good couples.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Ha! CVO. I finally have a title. :)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I sit in the middle. I do a high level analysis. For example I found a fixed summer week at the Monarch that I paid 5000 for and I can rent for 2300 so I purchased a second week on HHI. I enjoy HHI, I do not mind going, I can rent it and I actually traded into the GO during the summer 2 of 3 years of ownership. In general, I want to pay as little as possible. To a certain extend, I do not mind paying a little more for convenience. Example today I did an exchange for a studio at the Grand Chateau for a 2 BR at the Marriott's Legend in Panama City during Christmas week. I paid the upgrade and re-trade fee. Anytime between now and then I can re-trade for anything my wife wants to do.. even if it is back to a studio. If not, this is a great value for me.

The largest facebook group I know for Marriott that is not run by Marriott is Marriott Vacation Club Owners 55 and Older. It has less than 2700 members. If someone can point to a larger one please let me know. It is one of the only facebook groups that does not allow buy/sell or rent postings. It is purely for exchange of ideas, opinions and information. It is also the sweat spot for legacy timeshare owners, some that have enrolled weeks, some that did not enroll their weeks and some who purchased additional DP's. No one can argue that the enrolled legacy owners and purchased additional points have the lowest cost of ownership for MF's per point that can take advantage of all that DP's have to offer.

Having belonged to the facebook group (55 and older) for a couple of years, i have read feedback on the tours that are 100% positive. It is not a large sample size to number of posts for this group but great feedback. I have seen comments and questions on posts about tours that discussed the point usage vs. real cost. Again, not a real big sample size. I do believe that there are people who do not think about the real cost of a tour. I believe there is a bigger group who know that it is not cost justified but do it anyway because they already have the points and it is a sunken cost. They are happy but their is a big difference between knowing it and still doing tours vs. not caring. The people I know who can really not care about the cost of vacations (also a small sample size) do not own timeshares because they can afford to spend what they need to.

Personally, I believe the same as many that cash is king and with the rental of my timeshares, it gives me independence from both II and MVCI. My first Monarch week is already rented for this summer for 2750. We are planning a family cruise if it can be coordinated but if not it will help fund a tour in Europe for my wife and myself. The destination still TBD.

TUG members are are knowledgeable and while some over analyse, I am not sure it is proportionally any different then those who don't care how they use DP. No matter what your knowledge level is most people are well aware it isn't a fair exchange value for a tour but do it anyway because they can.
There are several facebook groups for Marriott Vacation Club that are not run by Marriott Vacation Club, which are larger
https://www.facebook.com/groups/31401268823/
has 9,347 members

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Dovetailing into JIMInNC's comments, if this sales "rumor"/lie were true then that would be a material fact that ILG would need to disclose to investors.

Wish we would modify the post title to reflect that this is a sales rumor and not imply it is a fact. I dont think the ? is sufficient.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dovetailing into JIMInNC's comments, if this sales "rumor"/lie were true then that would be a material fact that ILG would need to disclose to investors.

Wish we would modify the post title to reflect that this is a sales rumor and not imply it is a fact. I dont think the ? is sufficient.

I agree the title should be modified. So someone doesn't assume its true if they don't read through 2 pages of posts.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I did assume it was true and my wife almost had to perform CPR. Luckily I read fast. :D

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Ask and you shall receive. ;)

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks.... if only that worked in the rest of my life....

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
These rumors are coming out of Orlando. Aren’t VAC corporate offices in Grande Vista? Well, is it happening or not? Maybe the synergy will save us some money. :rolleyes:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
There are several facebook groups for Marriott Vacation Club that are not run by Marriott Vacation Club, which are larger
https://www.facebook.com/groups/31401268823/
has 9,347 members

I stand corrected .... Still small. I have a tri-state Restaurant group that I belong to that has 56K members. On your specific group I did a search on Explorer Collections and or Colette Tours ... the last post was on November. Even with the "large member pool", hardly a popular discussion. I did a search on Destination Points as it relates to Tours..... my finger started hurting from paging down.

Are you disagreeing with my point that "I believe there is a bigger group who know that it is not cost justified but do it anyway because they already have the points and it is a sunken cost. They are happy but their is a big difference between knowing it and still doing tours vs. not caring."

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
They (ILG) were really raking the money in. Almost $2B in sales for 2018. What’s up their sleeves this year?

Last edited: