• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sfx

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker and Sheraton oasis, Grandview
Has anybody traded with SFX

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are good on the west coast and Mexico/vidanta. Just Don’t expect many gold crown resorts.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It works for some, but I have had difficulty getting trades. I have a lot of deposits with them, and they had to extend mine.

They have decent inventory, but some people get pretty bad exchanges for their top-name properties. They have a policy by which you must accept what they have for your request, if it matches exactly, so if you match through another company, you need to modify that search for something else, or you will be stuck with that exchange. It's a lousy policy, especially when you have several exchanges on request with RCI, II and SFX. SFX is the only one that makes you take it.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been using SFX and have been fairly happy. In the past I got Sloane Garden Club in London and Coronado Beach Resort (both in August) which were good trades.

However, you don't really see what they have as almost all exchanges go through requests. As rickandcindy mentioned above, you have to take it if the match is exact so I generally make my requests very specific (i.e. limited to dates/resorts I know would work for sure). Of course that makes it much harder to get a match. There might be other weeks/resorts I would take if I saw them but can't commit to ahead of time.

I have a couple of requests in for this summer - we'll see if something works out.

JuliGee

Reaction score
Has anybody traded with SFX

We have used them for a number of years. They were strongly recommended to us by management where we own, Marriott Newport Coast and Club Donatello. For the most part, we have had exchanges and bonus weeks in Hawaii, Mexico, New York, San Diego, Vancouver, Scotland, London, Spain, Italy,Thailand, Aruba, Hilton Head, Barbados, Sanibel, Park City, New Orleans and some others. Most of the resorts are Gold Crown, but not all of them. Although I will say we have had a higher consistency of quality with SFX as compared to the other exchange companies. We just got confirmed last week for an exchange to New York again (we love NY), and have a pending bonus week request for Maui. Hopefully that will come through. None of the exchange companies are perfect, but we have been more happy with SFX than RCI and I.I. (we have tried them both). We are very flexible, so it really works well for us in getting many bookings. If you are not that flexible, that might be another story. Major Holiday weeks are tough, but that's the same with all of them. We love their bonus weeks because you can request them just like an exchange week.

Most of their exchanges and bonus weeks are based on placing a request. And as mentioned by others, if they get you exactly what you asked them to get, what they call an exact match, then you are obligated to pay an exchange fee. But you "do not" have to take the week you asked them to get. They will just charge you the exchange fee, and you still have a credit to use for another week of exchange. If they offer you a close match, and you decline it, you pay nothing.

Everyone's got their preference of exchange companies. This one by far has been the best for us. If RCI or I.I. is working well for you, why change?

Juli

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
The vast majority of our really good exchanges have come through internal exchanging (Hyatt and Disney) and through II (using our Hyatt, Marriott and Sheraton units). But we have gotten some good stuff through SFX for sure.

Internal exchanges typically “cost” the most but you can access better stuff.

II and SFX give you more opportunity to work their systems to your advantage. For me personally that means: have a higher level membership in SFX (I can’t remember what they call it but the one that gives you free unit size upgrades), deposit a 1BR, ask for a 2BR of moderate niceness.

Our SFX exchanges have been into SF (a studio but I that year they let us deposit a prime studio), Grand Luxxe twice, Napa (Vino Bello), and Sedona Summit over Thanksgiving week. We also got an exchange into the coast of Spain but by the time that came through we had other plans, had to pay the exchange fee but kept the deposit.

I understand they work with Hilton owners, so one Day I might try for a Hilton exchange. When I think of SFX, I think of their best stuff being high end Mexico, San Francisco, New York, maybe Hiltons, and mid level stuff otherwise that I can upgrade in size without an extra fee- Tahoe, Vegas, Sedona, etc.

I have personally no use for their bonus weeks.

II for me is going to give me better access to higher end stuff, better chances of watching online inventory and grabbing something sweet. If I’m ok with a studio, my best value is usually an II trade using Hyatt. A 1BR, I’m best trading my 1BR Sheraton. A 2BR, SFX is gonna be my best value, or the Marriott in II.

Each system to me has its pros and cons. I have a deposit in SFX now and I’m not sure I’ll renew membership after I use that one. I guess I’ll see what I get with it.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I trade Wyndham weeks for Vidanta Grand Luxxe weeks - you cannot beat that!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
All of JuliGee's posts seem to be championing SFX in a huge way. I would love to have her success. I am just trying to get some exchanges for the weeks I have on deposit. I keep working with SFX, but it's like pulling teeth.

The person I work with at SFX has been very kind and personable. I cannot recommend him enough as a great customer service rep for the company. The people make the company, and I feel he works very hard at helping me. He did get me Hilton Seaworld Orlando for 12/1-12/8, and now we need another unit, which may or may not happen. Think of how easy Orlando is to get through II and RCI for that time of year. I could have had 50 different resorts by now, but SFX is not big in Orlando. Everyone else is.

So it depends what you expect to get.

I was hoping for spring break in NYC from SFX. My daughter has a week I got through RCI Points (she also owns the RCI Points we own), and our son got a week through RCI. I wanted a week for us and hoped to get it through SFX. Nothing. I could have gotten something from RCI at 10 months out (that is how I got our daughter's week). It's easy to get at 10 months.

Rick would have to push me in a wheelchair a lot in NYC, so maybe it wasn't meant to be. I cannot walk that far on my hip and surgery is not until after September.

II has been tough to get 2 bedrooms for 1 bedrooms lately, since they decided they could make extra cash for upgrades. I don't like the constant calls from II since the upgrade fee, because I think they have something, and they really do not. I actually deposited 2 bedrooms instead of my usual 1 bed + studio (Marriott). I just want my 2 bedrooms and would rather not have the annoyance of the calls and the hoping for that 2 bed match for the 1 bed. Sigh. They need to put an option that if you get a 2 bed, you are willing to pay the fee to confirm it, and then make you go through a confirmation process like RCI does

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
No luck with SFX. They seems to have very little inventory.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
how does SFX Hawaii trade work? Can I get something good in Hawaii (eg Hilton Oahu, Big Island) if I trade my prime season SVV SBP or Marriott platinum deposit? Anyone has any experience on SFX Hawaii trade?

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had bad experiences with SFX, but I am a teacher with kids, so can only travel summer, spring break, and winter break. RCI and II have gotten me to Cancun and Cabo for Xmas/New Years for the past 7 years with 2 or more families travelling with us each year. No such luck with SFX. But I have always heard that if you are flexible, and can travel during non-peak weeks, they can work great. Just depends on your specific needs.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
how does SFX Hawaii trade work? Can I get something good in Hawaii (eg Hilton Oahu, Big Island) if I trade my prime season SVV SBP or Marriott platinum deposit? Anyone has any experience on SFX Hawaii trade?

If you owned a Hilton in Hawaii would you deposit it in SFX? Chances are slim you will find those kind of trades in SFX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
If you owned a Hilton in Hawaii would you deposit it in SFX? Chances are slim you will find those kind of trades in SFX.

I am pretty sure that Hilton has done some bulk banking with SFX in the past. I stayed at Kingsland last year on an SFX trade, and at the time of my request I had my choice of dates.

I'm in the middle on SFX - I don't use them very often, but when I do I have been happy. I have traded into Manhattan Club (NYC) Donatello (SFO) and Kingsland, as well as the Wyndham Kona Resort. I still prefer Interval since I can see a lot of their inventory and judge if I can get a desired trade. SFX isn't nearly as transparent so it feels like more of a crapshoot.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
SFX positions itself as having higher quality inventory. I feel this is false advertising. They list many resorts but they have told me that I would never get a reservation at many of the resorts in their directory because most of the owners of their higher end resorts do not make deposits. I assume they rely primarily on developer bulk deposits if you are lucky to get something good with a choice of dates. In contrast, with Interval International, I see many Getaways for Hyatt, Marriott and Westin that I can purchase without even depositing a week. I am also an RCI member but I do not see much I would want to visit in RCI.

Carolyn Arndt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kona Hawaiian

We just visited Kohala Suites on a holiday week through SFX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
As others have mentioned, they’re good with Mexico at Vidanta resorts from Mayan Palace and Sea Garden through Grand Luxxe suites. They occasionally get Grand Luxxe spanor loft units, but not consistently. The reason they do well is because they get a lot of bulk deposits from Vidanta in order to satisfy a long-term relationship in which they provide exchange services for Vidanta owners. They’ve also got a better resort fee ($75 flat rate per week) than RCI, where the resort fee is higher and on a per person per day basis.

They might have other bulk depositors, but I’m not positive what ones they are.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I set up an SFX account some time ago - never used them.

Recently, I received a mailing from them with something like a gift card for Savings Credits. When I log into the SFX account - I see I also have $1,500 there. So, there is a total of $2,500.

Are these similar to the RCI Savings Dollars, which I have really never found a use for.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Recently, I received a mailing from them with something like a gift card for Savings Credits. When I log into the SFX account - I see I also have $1,500 there. So, there is a total of $2,500.

Are these similar to the RCI Savings Dollars, which I have really never found a use for.

They are similar to RCI Savings Dollars. SFX contracts with International Cruise and Excursion (ICE) Gallery for its travel store. ICE is also the service provider for RCI and the Vida Lifestyle (Vida Vacations or Vidanta). A lot of the offerings are the same in all three, though there are some variations (e.g., you can book some resorts through the Vida Lifestyle site, but not through RCI or SFX, likely because it’s a direct competition with their products; you can use RCI Savings Dollars for Restaurant.com certificates, but not in the other two). I’ve done fairly well with rental cars going through ICE.

JuliGee

Reaction score

Is your comment based on fact or some kind of guessing formula? We have been using SFX for a number of years, and our experience for the most part has been very positive, and contrary to your comments. We have had numerous trades into Hilton properties, (Hilton Hawaiian Village. Bay Club and Kingsland). We feel Hilton's timeshares in Hawaii and NY are their nicest. With over 82,000 members not renewing between the other two majors every year, I guess the two majors have a lot of unsatisfied customers?

Juli

JuliGee

Reaction score

I have never used RCI dollars. I sometimes use the SFX Savings Credits to buy down the cost of hotel rooms. Depending on hotel and season, we have saved considerable money on hotels for some of our traveling. They have other items in their store, like wines and other merchandise, but we have not bothered using the credits for anything else, just hotel savings.

Juli

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Juli, do you have any insight into whether Hilton does bulk deposits with SFX? As I posted, they get bulk deposits from Vidanta; my limited experience is that it happens the second half of February for the calendar year.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Juli, do you have any insight into whether Hilton does bulk deposits with SFX? As I posted, they get bulk deposits from Vidanta; my limited experience is that it happens the second half of February for the calendar year.

Typically if SFX gets any Hilton bulk deposits for Hawaii, it's for Kingsland or Bay Club on the Big Island.
I don't know if they get a lot (if any) for Honolulu (not even RCI gets a lot--it'll be leftovers about 45-60 days before the due date if Hilton deposits any Lagoon Tower into RCI).

I've suggested to SFX that they introduce some sort of "matching" program. By that I mean this:
Let's say you're looking for a 1 BR Big Island resort.
SFX "knows" (by virtue of the fact that us members list what our resorts are) which members either own or have access to say, Hilton Bay Club.
SFX then emails those folks asking if they'd like to deposit the week/unit you're looking for.
Then we deposit that week and maybe get a little "extra" in return (maybe some Vacation Cash or a reduced cost bonus week or something).

Although when I deposit with SFX I normally do my 2400 point Las Vegas Flamingo unit, but occasionally I'll ask if they have a specific request and try to match that if the deposit offer is good enough.

Otherwise, they kinda depend upon what gets deposited like other companies (DAE, RCI, II, etc.):
An owner deposits something and that's that. You hope that what gets deposited is what you wanted.

Although I typically use my SFX deposits for Vida resorts in Mexico, and my luck has been very good. Since I own with Hilton I'll use my Hilton for Hawaii (well when I went a few weeks ago). Caribbean is tough with SFX (although with the hurricanes pretty much ruining the VI/BVI for a while, not sure I'll be going any time soon).

Every timeshare/Exchange company has their pros/cons. Find what works best *for you*. I know that Hilton has its weaknesses (Caribbean/Mexico/Maui). But I like it and it works for me.

IF you're interested in SFX I strongly suggest taking advantage of the free membership first before buying into the membership plans. Full disclosure, I'm a diamond lifetime member, so I get the free unit upgrades (if available) and reduced exchange costs, which have more than paid for my membership fee. But I may be the exception.

Again, try it, and if it doesn't work out, look at others. I've had good luck with RCI as well, but only used them 3 times. I just hate the RCI fees and lack of quality resorts (Maui in particular). I wish I had II access. (Marriott/Hyatt). But so far, things are going well.

:)

--Kevin

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Is your comment based on fact or some kind of guessing formula? We have been using SFX for a number of years, and our experience for the most part has been very positive, and contrary to your comments. We have had numerous trades into Hilton properties, (Hilton Hawaiian Village. Bay Club and Kingsland). We feel Hilton's timeshares in Hawaii and NY are their nicest. With over 82,000 members not renewing between the other two majors every year, I guess the two majors have a lot of unsatisfied customers?

Juli

At one time I owned three eoy hilton hawaii weeks, 2br Lagoon, 2br Kingsland and 1br Bay Club. No way would I deposit a 2br with maint fees over $1500 into an exchange, I used those weeks. I now own a 2br Kingsland with high points, I won’t ever deposit that or use it, I can stretch the points with shorter stays / smaller units.

I deposited the Bay Club 1br once in SFX, requested NYC and never got matched.

You appear to be one of the lucky ones that make SFX work for you, able to get a HGVC developer deposit.

Like the 80 thousand odd people not satisfied with the other two, SFX never worked for me. I got the feeling you have to call them constantly to get a match, I don’t think they have an automated search like RCI.

I keep the free account and use it for what its worth. Once I’ve seen an HGVC Orlando in the SFX online inventory, which is limited to 30-90 days out.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
With over 82,000 members not renewing between the other two majors every year, I guess the two majors have a lot of unsatisfied customers?

Juli

Curious where this statistic came from. My google searches came up blank.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric,
I think the deposit timing is more complicated. In June 2017, I got a February 2019 reservation for Grand Luxxe.
Rich