• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chair Hogs

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
It is a mess. An unfair one. the resorts need to start enforcing their rules or they will have unhappy guests. I have been viewing the cams at the Maui resort and spa and KORV and every morning the same HALF of the chairs have towels appear and most of those are not occupied all day. It has been kind of fun, but annoying as well. I'll be there soon, so I will probably have a chat with them to see if they can answer some questions for us.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They seemed to have fixed the issue at Nanea. When walking through the property, it looked like all the loungers that fronted toward the ocean were all covered and therefore had a daily charge?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...it looked like all the loungers that fronted toward the ocean were all covered and therefore had a daily charge?

What???? So cabanas and now lounge chairs facing the ocean are an extra charge? We should all buy chairs at K-Mart and plop them down in protest! This is getting ridiculous...

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is not okay. One of my biggest frustrations with WKORV has been the increased "nick and diming" and turning it into a hotel resort and less of a Timeshare with all of the added fee amenities, etc... None more prominent that the cabana/gazebo rentals which are outsourced and have risen in price around 300% in the past few years. I think they are now getting $150 per day in the south and something crazy like $250 or so at Nanea for the full gazebo's.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ha! You can rent the barstools for a whole lot less..... :cool:

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They were enforcing the rules at Marriott Ko Olina in December. Eddie, Pool Security, does it with a smile and positive demeanor. Worked well!

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista - 2 winter, 1 summer, 1 shoulder
I don't know if it's working or not, because we sit on our lanai instead of the pool, but I found this tag clipped to a pool sign the other day while walking around KKORV. It's nice to see attempts are being made to address the problem.

IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Didn't see a problem at MOC/MM1 this year. The attendants were very very 'attentive' to their chair guests. Unoccupied chairs with towels don't buy drinks and don't give new guests an opportunity to sit and buy drinks so.....

Seemed like MOC was moving some towels....

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
That happened to us at WKORV-N, we went out at 10:00am and lots of empty chairs with no people. We moved towels off of 4 chairs and put them on chairs next to us that had towels and at 2:00pm the folks that had put those towels came over to us and asked us to move because they said it was their chairs. We refused and they dragged the towel guy over and when they announced that they put their towels out at 8:00am, he said we were in the right as he had seen us sitting in this location for over 4 hours we had food and cocktails on our table and he basically told them if they did this again they would continue to have no place to sit as its FCFS...

They were pissed and went on and on argueing with the towel guy and finally they turned to us and said we're not moving and you're going to have to move... Towel Guy called security and they left. After that incident towel guy became our best buddy the rest of the week...

I do agree this is not right, but you can't just go out to the pool and move towels on peoples chairs right when you get there, that also is not right. those people could just be in the pool for a few minutes. Are you saying you went out to the pool at 10 found 4 chairs with towels and immediately moved them? If yes that is WRONG. If after an hour no one was in those seats then Ok but not immediately. You got lucky those people did not come back for a while. If I am misunderstanding your post sorry.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's working or not, because we sit on our lanai instead of the pool, but I found this tag clipped to a pool sign the other day while walking around KKORV. It's nice to see attempts are being made to address the problem.

View attachment 5801 View attachment 5802
I was just there too and I saw those tags out also, they put them out up till noon to make sure people come back within the hour which I think is totally reasonable People were getting pissed though..

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree this is not right, but you can't just go out to the pool and move towels on peoples chairs right when you get there, that also is not right. those people could just be in the pool for a few minutes. Are you saying you went out to the pool at 10 found 4 chairs with towels and immediately moved them? If yes that is WRONG. If after an hour no one was in those seats then Ok but not immediately. You got lucky those people did not come back for a while. If I am misunderstanding your post sorry.
It's not right in a two wrongs don't make a right but the first wrong is way more egregious.

WLR small pool on windy days has about 12 shaded seats near the pool. You wanna reserve one of those you better be using it.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
At Nanea now. There are probably 20 lounge chairs that sit in the pool. At 8:00 a.m. yesterday, there were towels and a couple of books on all but four of the chairs. No one was sitting in any of them. I'm happy to report that at 10:00 a.m. there were six people sitting in the chairs and the staff had removed all the other towels and personal belongings leaving over a dozen chairs available!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that at 10:00 a.m. there were six people sitting in the chairs and the staff had removed all the other towels and personal belongings leaving over a dozen chairs available!

It's good to hear when resorts are enforcing their policies since there will always be those that require enforcement to do the right thing.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was just on the news that a major brawl broke out at the indoor waterpark at the Dells Odyssey Resort. Apparently someone took a chair that belonged to a different group. Video clips showed chair throwing and punches throw.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Yes, some of us are soooo classy here. :( At least no children were hurt. Just some of the idiots fighting over a chair. (Mt. Olympus Indoor waterpark & resort.)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, the resorts should charge a weekly amount to reserved pool side lounge chairs and only the pool attendant can set the chairs up daily.
I have seen people reserving chairs at 5:30 AM with towels & books in their chairs,

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Maybe, the resorts should charge a weekly amount to reserved pool side lounge chairs and only the pool attendant can set the chairs up daily.
I have seen people reserving chairs at 5:30 AM with towels & books in their chairs,

Yes, but luckily I've seen pool attendants at both WKORV-N and Nanea placing tags on the chairs at 8:00 a.m. indicating if no activity in the next hour the personal belongings would be gathered and available at the pool hut. I love it when I see that enforced!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It was just on the news that a major brawl broke out at the indoor waterpark at the Dells Odyssey Resort. Apparently someone took a chair that belonged to a different group. Video clips showed chair throwing and punches throw.
No link?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How / why does someone go to a resort just to lounge by a pool - I seriously don't get that. Now I certainly understand to each their own, but if I traveled a great distance to a resort I'd want to get out and explore what is nearby. With that in mind, allow me to ask this question - are there some resorts (and their pool areas) that are that attractive such that people will want to stay at a resort simply for the pool area action?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How / why does someone go to a resort just to lounge by a pool - I seriously don't get that. Now I certainly understand to each their own, but if I traveled a great distance to a resort I'd want to get out and explore what is nearby. With that in mind, allow me to ask this question - are there some resorts (and their pool areas) that are that attractive such that people will want to stay at a resort simply for the pool area action?
It certainly isn't our cup of tea, but there are all inclusive resorts out there for a reason. Many people want to just go, relax and unwind. Though not always easy to do if they are fighting over pool loungers.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
It certainly isn't our cup of tea, but there are all inclusive resorts out there for a reason. Many people want to just go, relax and unwind. Though not always easy to do if they are fighting over pool loungers.

Thanks for that insight, Dioxide45 - but your response does make me wonder what these all inclusive resorts offer to create this type of environment. Are we talking destinations such as Hawaii here? I just can't see sitting by a pool all day on a vacation but if a resort is offering something we haven't considered as a vacation possibility, I'm open to new travel ideas.

I'm assuming the squatters must be off doing something for a good portion of the day... Just seems weird to me....

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for that insight, Dioxide45 - but your response does make me wonder what these all inclusive resorts offer to create this type of environment. Are we talking destinations such as Hawaii here? I just can't see sitting by a pool all day on a vacation but if a resort is offering something we haven't considered as a vacation possibility, I'm open to new travel ideas.

I'm assuming the squatters must be off doing something for a good portion of the day... Just seems weird to me....
All inclusive options tend to be in places where you wouldn't want to leave the resort or if you do, it is usually with an organized tour. While it isn't necessarily always unsafe to leave the resort in places like Jamaica, Dominican Republic or Mexico, many people prefer not to. Some people go to an AI and never leave the place.

Of course, it also only takes one day at the pool to notice chair hogs, you can still leave the resort and I am sure there are days the chair hogs do too.

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Lagunamar last year and saw the same groups staking out the the same pool palapas every day. They weren't there all day and sometimes not for hours at a time. It seemed a little selfish to me, but staff did not do anything. Maybe it's different now.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Dells is famous for its waterparks, indoor and outdoor. They are the destination for some families. In this case, someone took a chair from another groups table while that group was on waterslides. It got ugly.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have very light skin and burn easy. I don’t sit in the sun very long . I don’t expect a chair to be held for me all day by the pool. Just a quick dip or two then out of the sun.
Silentg