• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aggressive Sales at Coconut Plantation

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
The $150 definitely shows the priority in selling. Closing on the uninformed newbie is hard because of the high price so they need to dangle a bigger bribe. However, the reward to Hyatt in completing the sale is much better. Hyatt still needs the HRC owners as that will provide much needed inventory to the HPP.
Of course, they can also acquire inventory through ROFR, as they began doing last year. The problem for Hyatt is that--while that is much easier to accomplish--it's also a lot more expensive and a drain on cash flow. The conversion of existing HRC owners to HPP is both cash flow positive and helps to build inventory. For the poor suckers who pay that ridiculous price, Hyatt/ILG are the clear winners.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
OK thanks everyone for helping to relieve our anxiety. I read all your responses to my husband as the update stressed him out and he got me going. Aside from the one couple we met who bought in , most folks here at Sunset just roll their eyes about the update. Thank God for TUG.
Glad you feel reassured. If Hyatt sticks with its current pricing strategy, I simply cannot see a scenario where HPP becomes a problem for legacy owners. And--as has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum--HPP is actually a short-term (and maybe longer than short-term, depending on the success of the HPP sales weasels) benefit to legacy owners since we have access to the HPP inventory. It's interesting that this was never officially announced or explained to HRC owners; you have to stumble around on the new website in order to discover and use it.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Based on the discussion here, is now a bad time to buy a HRC unit on the resale market?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the discussion here, is now a bad time to buy a HRC unit on the resale market?

I don't believe so. I think the HRC owners will be fine. I would not suggest buying into the HPP right now (if ever). I would suggest buying where you want to stay, and then if there are problems down the road, you have a deed to a place you want (as opposed to the poor folks in HPP who have a "promise" from ILG).

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I am interested in a Hyatt to add to my portfolio. However, I am not sure what would be the best strategy for me. I would like a Diamond week with 2200 points. Based on where I live and where my extended family lives, I think either California or Florida makes the most sense. My finalists are:

- High Sierra (this is drivable from the Bay Area but also the priciest in upfront costs, the downside is we ski at Squaw so we might not love staying so far away - Incline Village is about 1.5 hours from Squaw esp when local traffic is heavy, we also have a vacation home just an hour from Squaw Valley so Incline Village as a home resort is almost further than our home to Squaw Valley)
- Beach House (this would simply be a trader so the cheapest Platinum would work for this purpose but we may rarely, if ever, visit Key West)
- Coconut Plantation (may use some years when visiting families and to combine with Disney trips and trips to visit family in South Florida, may exchange internally or through Interval in other years, most likely to use for short stays splitting with other places we visit in Florida)

No matter what our home resort is, I hope we can internally exchange for anywhere we might want to visit some years. I am interested in Hyatt Kaanapali but the upfront cost is too high.

The other option I was considering was to not get the Hyatt and buy a Marriott Grand Chateau 3 bedroom as a trader. However, the negative to this is my philosophy has been to "buy where you want to go." We will never go to Las Vegas. However, I have heard that Grand Chateau 3 bedroom is an excellent trader on II and MFs and upfront fees are affordable, esp if we get an EOY.

Any advice?

Last edited:

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I am interested in a Hyatt to add to my portfolio. However, I am not sure what would be the best strategy for me. I would like a Diamond week with 2200 points. Based on where I live and where my extended family lives, I think either California or Florida makes the most sense. My finalists are:

- High Sierra week 7 (this is drivable from the Bay Area but also the priciest in upfront costs, the downside is we ski at Squaw so we might not love staying so far away - Incline Village is about 1.5 hours from Squaw esp when local traffic is heavy, we also have a vacation home just an hour from Squaw Valley so Incline Village as a home resort is almost further than our home to Squaw Valley, we also will become an Elite Alliance member soon and have other trading options for the Lake Tahoe area)
- Beach House (this would simply be a trader so the cheapest Platinum would work for this purpose but we may rarely, if ever, visit Key West)
- Coconut Plantation week 7 (may use some years when visiting families and to combine with Disney trips and trips to visit family in South Florida, may exchange internally or through Interval in other years, most likely to use for short stays splitting with other places we visit in Florida)

For the properties we might use, I was looking at week 7 because it is President's Day week so we could go with the kids since they get that week off every year.

No matter what our home resort is, we can internally exchange for anywhere we might want to visit some years. I am interested in Hyatt Kaanapali but the upfront cost is too high.

The other option I was considering was to not get the Hyatt and buy a Marriott Grand Chateau 3 bedroom as a trader. However, the negative to this is my philosophy has been to "buy where you want to go." My husband and I will never go to Las Vegas. However, I have heard that Grand Chateau 3 bedroom is an excellent trader on II and MFs and upfront fees are affordable, esp if we get an EOY.

Any advice?

We own at Coconut and are very happy there, also own at Beach House but use those points for more time at Coconut. The central pool complex is extensive, with multiple pools, waterfalls, and a Lazy River. It is quite large and never crowded as it was designed to serve nine buildings but only three were built, with a fourth now under construction. There are innumerable restaurants of every size, cuisine, and price range all within a short drive, and a gigantic shopping mall nearby, if shopping is your thing. (It isn't ours.). Fort Myers airport is about 20 minutes away. The resort manager is especially good and very approachable.