• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ramblin Rose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean front Beach Club, Virginia Beach, VA
Good morning,
My wife and I have purchased a time share with (now) Diamond Resorts in Virginia Beach, VA.
When we bought it, we purchased it from Gold Key Resorts. This company was later bought by Diamond.
When we purchased the timeshare, we got a deed for the "property".
Diamond has tried HARD to get the deed from us in exchange for points.
My questions are:
1) Does it help to have a deed if I want to sell my timeshare?
2) Our timeshare has been paid off years ago, would this be a selling point?
3) What can I expect to get for my timeshare? (we paid $16,000)
I have many more questions but I would appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction to help me to sell this timeshare.
Our daughter has started a teaching position in Europe and we much rather go and visit with her instead of using our timeshare that we currently own.
Thank you so much for your help
R

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! First the bad news. Your timeshare is probably not worth anything. Check eBay and see what units at your resort have sold for (completed auctions). It only matters that it IS paid for and current (not how long). I think that thee 'points' is in addition to/on top of the deed.

Anyway Diamond has a program to turn your deed back to them. It isn't free, but is fairly hassle free and we understand it works well. Do a search in the forums under 'Diamond Resorts', you'll find a wealth of info there. Here's a link to that (lengthy) thread: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...e-back-your-diamond-resorts-timeshare.224859/

If you choose to go the sales route, there's a red 'sticky' at the top of this forum on how to do it. And there are TUGgers who will handle the transfer if you find a buyer.

Best Wishes,

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Guessing by what you paid, you do not own a summer week. Summer weeks (25-32) are really the only ones that have any resale value. If you have one near summer 22-24 or 33-35, you might be able to sell and make $500-1000 (maybe even a little more) depending on which resort and view and unit size. Outside of those weeks, you may even have trouble giving it away. If Diamond accepts it back for the $300 or so they charge it might be easier than finding a buyer or a taker.

Buying points will actually make it harder to sell/give away. Do not pay to "upgrade" to points.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter has started a teaching position in Europe and we much rather go and visit with her instead of using our timeshare that we currently own.
Due to the low value, relative to what you paid, and that it's paid for, I'll just toss something else out there. Your daughter may not be teaching in Europe forever. You may want to just keep this deeded week, and either use it yourselves for the cost of just the maintenance, and/or rent the week out in the years you don't want to use it yourselves. Just a thought. . . . Also, many resorts have a list of owners who 'would like to sell' if the right offer came along- for instance if another owner had a week adjacent to yours and wanted longer vacations. You wouldn't be actively seeking to sell, but might be open to the possibility.

DRIless

Reaction score
Guessing by what you paid, you do not own a summer week. Summer weeks (25-32) are really the only ones that have any resale value. If you have one near summer 22-24 or 33-35, you might be able to sell and make $500-1000 (maybe even a little more) depending on which resort and view and unit size. Outside of those weeks, you may even have trouble giving it away. If Diamond accepts it back for the $300 or so they charge it might be easier than finding a buyer or a taker.
Buying points will actually make it harder to sell/give away. Do not pay to "upgrade" to points.
...and he means $500-$1000 net in your pocket if you've got a shoulder week, not $16K plus $500-$1000. for good advice, you need to tell us what exactly your deed is for.